Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Having the decision made in the next 3-4 weeks is probably not a positive for the race happening.

I totally agree there's a very real possibility numbers are still trending upwards at that point

Given the apparent bent of the town council towards cancellation, it even seems plausible that they want to rush the decision ahead of state reopening mandates that might allow it to go forward.

You would think they would want to find any way they can to have it go off... But who knows I also don't know what in the world they're going to do about transition isn't the oval under construction
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This sucks.

I hope they let us k is by end of May as you suggest. I’d rather not make the life sacrifices of that last big 2 month push of volume for nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Having the decision made in the next 3-4 weeks is probably not a positive for the race happening.

I totally agree there's a very real possibility numbers are still trending upwards at that point

Given the apparent bent of the town council towards cancellation, it even seems plausible that they want to rush the decision ahead of state reopening mandates that might allow it to go forward.

You would think they would want to find any way they can to have it go off... But who knows I also don't know what in the world they're going to do about transition isn't the oval under construction

No idea about the established members of the town committee, just the new ones ran on a platform of race cancellation. While googling around looking for information that doesn’t exist I did notice that the race was initially postponed to the end of August last year. Anyone think they might do similar this year? Haven’t seen this possibility discussed.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My one concern about the end of August is that it's the same weekend as Maine 70.3 You have a lot of people looking to do both events. I was thinking it could be the same date as when LP 70.3 was. That's the second weekend of September. That is also the same date as Atlantic City. I am hopeful they will try for a late August early September date. The other problem with that is the Kona slots would be 2022. Who knows.

14X Ironman. Still slow but working on it.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [dcfan40] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a headache all the way around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well.. They've released the athlete list, so hopefully that's a positive for the event being held.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [GreyGhost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They released a list, but it doesn't seem to have any international athletes listed:(
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [charlietris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
charlietris wrote:
They released a list, but it doesn't seem to have any international athletes listed:(

Looks like just a share under 3,000 names on the list. Doesn’t appear they downsized it at all.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
charlietris wrote:

Its been updated, now has international competitors on it.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good to hear!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pump the brakes. That is coming from IM.... unfortunately they don't decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Pump the brakes. That is coming from IM.... unfortunately they don't decide.

I'm not sure why people don't understand this very simple concept. Ironman is going to proceed as if the race will happen until it doesn't. People shouldn't read anything into it.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Within a month, most people will be back to work and be vaccinated. Unless the people of LP want to kill off this event for other reasons, it should take place.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can I have the name of your medication? I'm going to request some.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
Within a month, most people will be back to work and be vaccinated. Unless the people of LP want to kill off this event for other reasons, it should take place.

That's because she's got a GREAT ASS... AND YOU GOT YOUR HEAD ALL THE WAY UP IT!
#Bestmovieever

But seriously I'm not sure what to expect. There seems to be some desire on LP end to squash it again this year or maybe we are reading the tea leaves wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:

Don't think it's that simple. Unfortunately, from the looks of things, US may only get to 50-60% of adult population vaccinated... because huge % of people showing they won't get a shot. That's just going to push back things.

I hope people get to race at LP. But it seems pretty tough (I'm not local, don't have inside information, this just speculation):

• We will not have magical "great news, this this is over" in next 30, 60, 90 days. If someone (local politician) who wants to read/find data/opinion pieces to show holding a race will be potentially devastating to a local venue, they will be able to do so.
  • Tourist spots are heaving. They have been heaving. Again, not local, but read the news regarding Lake Placid. They were fully booked last summer. They've had huge numbers of tourists this spring. The town, residents, property owners aren't going to lose money by not holding IM this year. What's worse, and I've seen this in a couple tourist spots where we own property - locals are resentful for last 12 months...because they believe people have run over their towns to "get away from COVID" and as result... have brought there.
  • This is just my speculation...but if you think about psychology of local government officials... if the town is heaving, what incentive do they have to hold large events? The only people who really benefit are the out-of-towners who come in and race... and then leave. Just adding to the headaches of people in the town right now. Worse, IF there is a demonstrable spike in infections... then they have to eat sh*t about it. Why risk that? Finally, in locations like LP, they know IM will be back.

The opposite of this is a race like Tulsa. OF COURSE, they will hold this race. As red a state as can be. A city that needs people to come to it. An event that is launching that needs to do whatever it can to launch.

In my opinion - this is where 2021 is going to be frustratingly asymmetrical. Some people will race. And some won't. And it won't seem fair.

Hope I'm wrong about LP as I believe racing can be responsibly held.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Funk wrote:

In my opinion - this is where 2021 is going to be frustratingly asymmetrical. Some people will race. And some won't. And it won't seem fair.

Hope I'm wrong about LP as I believe racing can be responsibly held.

I hope you are wrong too, but I think you hit the nail on the head.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In general, and I think you nailed it, racing won't have anything to do with science, but will have everythiing to do with instantaneous psychological profile of a collective of politicians in the town that has to issue permits. In many locations this will lag actual case load, and risk of hospital support by many months or quarters.

Also keep in mind that politicians in general are on full pay. They actually feel an unequal burden from the pandemic compared to private sector. So in general public sector officials who want to hold on to power, and on full pay, will be conservative in terms of allowing things that have potential or perceived risk. If there is perceived risk, rolling the dice may be a bad political move and if you never feel it personally in your bank account, then erring on the side of real or perceived caution will initially rule any decision making (and you can understand how things shake out that way).
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Also keep in mind that politicians in general are on full pay. They actually feel an unequal burden from the pandemic compared to private sector. So in general public sector officials who want to hold on to power, and on full pay,
What do you mean by full pay in this instance? I don't think being a trustee (town councilmember) in Lake Placid is a full-time job in terms of pay. I think it pays about US$6K/year.

This is common in small towns in this part of the US at least. Council members have other jobs or sources of income.

Here is an example from Lake Placid - this guy (who was elected) owns a store and is involved in tourism
https://www.lakeplacidnews.com/news/local-news/2021/03/05/questionnaire-lake-placid-trustee-candidate-marc-galvin/

http://www.jt10000.com/
Last edited by: jt10000: Apr 24, 21 21:19
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
Here is an example from Lake Placid - this guy (who was elected) owns a store and is involved in tourism
https://www.lakeplacidnews.com/news/local-news/2021/03/05/questionnaire-lake-placid-trustee-candidate-marc-galvin/

I think that guy was quoted as saying his bookstore had a great year last year, as did many other local businesses, and so LP doesn’t need the Ironman, or something to that effect.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
jt10000 wrote:

I think that guy was quoted as saying his bookstore had a great year last year, as did many other local businesses, and so LP doesn’t need the Ironman, or something to that effect.
Yeah. And my point is that he is not fully paid as a politician who can ignore the external economic environment.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, my statement was a general statement about politicians and govt officials on full pay. Agreed this may not apply to LP. But those who are on full pay (be it public or private sector) inherently have a different view on what opens up or not. Those who won't be able to pay for groceries tomorrow because of inability to do commerce inherently will lean another way. Its just how human psychology works. Military does tons of tests on soldiers in training depriving them of food and shelter on exercise to elicit those survival reactions, while simultaneously seeing how the teams keep missions on track. Mainly I am saying that if you're well fed, its easier to stay on whatever mission. Those who are unfed at some point fall out of line with the mission.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Agreed this may not apply to LP.
May not? May? Thanks for the political insight.

Last edited by: jt10000: Apr 25, 21 7:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was replying to Dan Funk talking generally about races and permits all over, not just in LP. No need to get snarky about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I was replying to Dan Funk talking generally about races and permits all over, not just in LP.
You literally wrote "LP" in the sentence I commented on:
devashish_paul wrote:
Agreed this may not apply to LP.

And if we're talking about "all over" as I said, in plenty of small towns your comments about politicians - at least elected ones - being fully paid is just not true.

Quote Reply

Prev Next