Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When it comes to events in NY State there are so many permits that could be needed.

State Park permit would be just 1 if held inside a state park, go outside the park at all and then there could be village, town, county, State, town DOT, County DOT, State DOT, Heath Dept., State mass gathering permit if its a large event. Add on all the police agencies that might need to sign off and it can get tough.

We've been able to get most all permits we need for all of our events minus City, which just does not want events right now and would be cost prohibitive anyhow. We've had to keep events small and enforce a lot of restrictions but at least we are producing events

Since last year we have had so many meetings with different groups, working to get approvals and also to give guidance on how events can safely operate.

I know Buffalo Marathon recently had meetings with a state committee to try and get their event approved for end of May

Slowly but surely events will get going in NY

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
replying to last post...

I really hope IMLP goes off! Know a few folks doing that one.

Any word on IM Mussleman 70.3 scheduled for July 11, 2021? Geneva, NY (finger lakes region)?

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
FF Boots wrote:
It is not accurate that NY State Parks are not issuing permits for events this year.

I hosted an event in a state park in 2020 and have approvals for 2021 as well.

That's cool, seems like you may be the exception rather than the rule though. Only tangentially related, but I'm registered for SOS as well as IMLP this year. SOS sent out an e-mail last week saying the permits they would need are not being issued at all right now, but they were hopeful that would change in time for the event. The real tell though was they accidentally titled the e-mail "SOS 2022", which I'm guessing was some kind of Freudian slip that they really expect it to be canceled.

Oh wow. I got the SOS email as well. I didn't pick up on that. Yikes.

I told my wife it wasn't the most encouraging email....
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can we bribe you to start putting on tri's again?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'd have to bribe the wife and that will take a very large number :)

Honestly, producing tri's just stopped being fun. They're way too much work to produce a good, safe, high quality, high production event to also not be fun for us or our team just sucked

They also lost too much money so I'll leave it up to someone else to subsidize the sport around here, I served my time

I do miss having a Duathlon since that's my background but same story

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I like my little rubric for race likelihood discussion. NY scores low on all three.
  1. Political Bias - The state and local political attitude toward social and venue restrictions
  2. Event History - Has the state hosted similar events since Pandemic
  3. Covid Metrics - Trends in cases, hospitalizations, deaths, & vaccinations

NY has demonstrated a strong bias toward cancelations and restrictions of all gathering-type events. NY has not hosted any races or events (I have read about) like an IM 70.3. NY is OK in deaths, and vaccinations (top third of US), but cases are up and have never really settled down since last summer.

The best case decision now is probably a no-decision. A "no," is kind of permanent, even if things vastly improve in the next few months.

I don’t disagree with anything you wrote except that I’m not convinced a no decision is the best option. If the odds of having the race are minuscule, and only in some fantasy world of zero covid or something comparable, it would be better just to cxl now in my view. That preference is likely individual though, and obviously we know by now that Ironman doesn’t say or do anything until cancellation is definitive.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
[I don’t disagree with anything you wrote except that I’m not convinced a no decision is the best option. If the odds of having the race are minuscule, and only in some fantasy world of zero covid or something comparable, it would be better just to cxl now in my view. That preference is likely individual though, and obviously we know by now that Ironman doesn’t say or do anything until cancellation is definitive.
I’m not planning on that race, but my tendency is to hope for the happy path. It is still 3.5 months way, and a lot can change in that timeframe. I hope they wait another 6 weeks and take a read late May. If doubtful still then, cancel 2 months away.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok y'all, what are our thoughts about the current status of the race? Feeling pretty good about it being held, as planned?
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [GreyGhost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreyGhost wrote:
Ok y'all, what are our thoughts about the current status of the race? Feeling pretty good about it being held, as planned?

Ironman does an incredible job of keeping this stuff private, so I’m doubtful anyone is coming here to say anything new. Just reading the articles I already posted, no I do not feel good about it. Would think 50-50 best.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [GreyGhost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Considering the Olympic Oval is all torn up for renovations (i.e. where transition is), along with Main Street being one way for the summer during construction, along with the COVID issues, I seriously doubt we will be racing this year.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Considering the Olympic Oval is all torn up for renovations (i.e. where transition is), along with Main Street being one way for the summer during construction, along with the COVID issues, I seriously doubt we will be racing this year.

Is it possible these renovations and construction right now are being done for the Ironman?

Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
g_lev wrote:

Is it possible these renovations and construction right now are being done for the Ironman?

It's going to take them all summer to complete all this work

(I am sortof a local to the area - I have a house nearby and keep up with the local news)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
g_lev wrote:

(I am sortof a local to the area - I have a house nearby and keep up with the local news)

Oh that is a bummer! Yeah I live not far from Stowe, VT and it took most of the summer to work on construction on route 100. And now they are resuming again this spring. It's never-ending. So I can imagine on going construction in LP. I did that IM in 2017. I'm aiming for IMMD this year. I'm keeping my eye on IMLP as it will be an indicator of whether Musselman goes off (I'm signed up for that on July 11).

Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
g_lev wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
g_lev wrote:

Oh that is a bummer! Yeah I live not far from Stowe, VT and it took most of the summer to work on construction on route 100. And now they are resuming again this spring. It's never-ending. So I can imagine on going construction in LP. I did that IM in 2017. I'm aiming for IMMD this year. I'm keeping my eye on IMLP as it will be an indicator of whether Musselman goes off (I'm signed up for that on July 11).

I am registered for both IMLP and IMMD this year. I expect IMMD would happen. But given the state of COVID in NY, and all the construction going on in town, and also the people newly elected to the local government (and their attitudes towards the events that bring crowds), I am not confident at all.

I haven't raced IMLP since 2017... and I bought my house in Jay later that year. I want to race something where I get to sleep in my own bed... maybe next year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm hopeful that is the rate of vaccinations increases the chances of Lake Placid happening goes up as well but I agree with everything set above it seems doubtful.
The bigger question is do they cancel in time for everyone to get their money back from where they're staying.

As for Maryland save your money not a whole lot to see down there.
Last edited by: Fishbum: Apr 14, 21 17:18
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve raced Maryland twice. It’s good race. Yes not much to see but Cambridge is still a neat town. I’ll race it this year if it happens (I kinda think by then we will be in a better position for it)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Towns ok. I just felt like the run course was mind numbing...
Fingers crossed for Placid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USAT multisport nationals is in NY, entirely in a state park this year. I had hoped that by the planned late september date they would be able to get the necessary permits. Fingers crossed. Aquabike nats was going to be my big goal for the year.

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
http://goteamnltri.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I'm hopeful that is the rate of vaccinations increases the chances of Lake Placid happening goes up as well but I agree with everything set above it seems doubtful.
The bigger question is do they cancel in time for everyone to get their money back from where they're staying.

As for Maryland save your money not a whole lot to see down there.

IMMD wasn't my first choice but I was able to transfer from an overseas IM and IMMD was still open at the time. I am very grateful to now be registered for this race as many are scrambling to find a race or are on waiting lists. Yeah it's not a fancy destination race, but we are making the most of it. We have a nice house rented on upper Hooper Island right on the water. We may bring SUPs for afterward. Will be a longer drive in the morning to the race venue but still worth it. From what I see and hear, it looks very pretty on those Islands. And the other great thing is that I don't have to fly to this IM. It will be long drive but it's reasonable.

I really hope all races go off. Fingers crossed!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake Placid intends to notify IM either the second or third week of May of their decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Lake Placid intends to notify IM either the second or third week of May of their decision.

This sounds great, can you say how you know this?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

This sounds great, can you say how you know this?

Yes... It was a complex process of emailing the individuals on Town council and those responsible for permitting.

Sorry I couldn't resist being a smart-ass.
But seriously I did just look up who the individuals were emailed them and politely explained what my questions were and they were quick to respond.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having the decision made in the next 3-4 weeks is probably not a positive for the race happening.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Having the decision made in the next 3-4 weeks is probably not a positive for the race happening.

I totally agree there's a very real possibility numbers are still trending upwards at that point
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I totally agree there's a very real possibility numbers are still trending upwards at that point

Given the apparent bent of the town council towards cancellation, it even seems plausible that they want to rush the decision ahead of state reopening mandates that might allow it to go forward.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply

Prev Next