Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How often can you remove and re-install a carbon seatpost without doing damage?
Quote | Reply
Totally a very first world problem but looking for some thoughts:
I am converting a sprinter van with the almost standard bike garage under bed design. Unfortunately, I am a long lanky bugger (2m or 6’7) and my bike (with front wheel pulled off) still needs 110cm (43 inches) of clearing. If I build the bed that high there is not enough space to sit up in the bed any more, which is the wife’s minimum requirement (and clearly, I don’t want to argue with that).

I have considered cut outs, hydraulic lift options all sorts of things, but frankly (and it pains me to say that) it would probably be easiest and cheapest to pull the seat out whenever I stow the bike.
I am usually quite opposed to touching the post once I have dialed in that perfect height, other than the odd air travel for races. Bike is a QR PRfive.

If I assume a couple of family trips per year in which I ride the bike every day, so load and unload almost every day on those trips = pulling and re-inserting the post roughly 30-50 times per year. Will that do any damage? I’ll use a torque wrench of course, take good care all the good stuff. Am I overthinking this / do you see any issues with that? I’d hate to have the seat break, slip on me on race day and have you guys pass me with a “could have told you that was gonna happen” type expression on you faces.
Quote Reply
Re: How often can you remove and re-install a carbon seatpost without doing damage? [Holger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could remove and reinstall a seatpost a 100,000 times without a torque wrench and it would be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: How often can you remove and re-install a carbon seatpost without doing damage? [Holger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you use a torque wrench, and do it properly, you should not have any problems, particularly if you have a compression seat post clamp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a very common trick to address this issue with pro cyclist who are constantly traveling. It’s easily applied to standard seat post but with a bit of thought you should be able to apply the principles to your bike.

For a standard seat post you install a second seat post clamp directly on the seat post just above the seat clamp on the frame. This acts as a stop ensuring: 1) you can always get the seat at the same height. You just insert the post till the clamps meet and you are good to go. 2) You can be very conservative with bolt torque and not worry about slippage. The clamps can’t slip past each other so you can go easier on the frame clamp.

Applying this to the PR 5 is complicated by the fact you can’t just go by an external seat post clamp for the bike. What I would do is apply mastic tape to the post to act as a stop. The location of the seat clamp bolt is not ideal for this but some trial and error should get a solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you build the bed so it’s a few inches forward, then mount the bikes (or at least just yours) so they go sideways? Your bike saddle will come up above the bed.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how often can you remove / re-install correctly without doing damage? Thousands of times, likely long outlasting the bike.
how often can you remove / re-install incorrectly without doing damage? Once

;)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: How often can you remove and re-install a carbon seatpost without doing damage? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
There is a very common trick to address this issue with pro cyclist who are constantly traveling. It’s easily applied to standard seat post but with a bit of thought you should be able to apply the principles to your bike.

For a standard seat post you install a second seat post clamp directly on the seat post just above the seat clamp on the frame. This acts as a stop ensuring: 1) you can always get the seat at the same height. You just insert the post till the clamps meet and you are good to go. 2) You can be very conservative with bolt torque and not worry about slippage. The clamps can’t slip past each other so you can go easier on the frame clamp.

Applying this to the PR 5 is complicated by the fact you can’t just go by an external seat post clamp for the bike. What I would do is apply mastic tape to the post to act as a stop. The location of the seat clamp bolt is not ideal for this but some trial and error should get a solution.

The tape wrap at the correct height is exactly what I do. I just use some black electrical insulation tape with 2 wraps around. Acts as a 'bump stop' for getting the post in the correct place each time.
It also just adds a little resistance to the post just slowly creeping downwards over time (even with carbon assembly paste my post can sometimes slowly creep down a few mm as the clamp design isn't ideal).
Only downside is of course I can't just lower the post into the frame, I have to take it out for transport.
Quote Reply
Re: How often can you remove and re-install a carbon seatpost without doing damage? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes that was one of the alternate design ideas but is not the current favourite due to other space issues.
Quote Reply
Re: How often can you remove and re-install a carbon seatpost without doing damage? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips and responses all!
I feel much better now, will continue planning and am sure it will all fit somehow at some point :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put a piece of black electrical tape on the seat post right where it meets the seat tube, and leave a very short 'tab' of tape - that way when I put it back in after removing it, it always ends up in the exact spot to the mm where I left it (because the little tab prevents it going too far into the tube). It happens to match the colour of the post, so it's not super ugly or noticeable. *Edited to say I'm now seeing the other suggestions re. tape... guess I'm not the only one who does this :)
Last edited by: surroundhound: Mar 6, 21 15:17
Quote Reply
Re: How often can you remove and re-install a carbon seatpost without doing damage? [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started putting tape on my seatpost in 1984.
Quote Reply