Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: “Wokeness & cancel culture” vs “Excuse me, I’m speaking” [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think you and I are in agreement, but I just want to restate it. While casting modern Republicans in the role of German Jews is absurd, this seems to be a new standard for "canceling" based on "racist comments.".....and sadly kind of proving her point, to a degree.

Yep. Something, something, Jewish, something..... ANTI-SEMITIC. Something , something, Black,...... RACIST. Something, something, woman,......MISOGYNISTIC.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: “Wokeness & cancel culture” vs “Excuse me, I’m speaking” [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
I think there's some truth to her point ...

Wow, really ???

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: “Wokeness & cancel culture” vs “Excuse me, I’m speaking” [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am curious, how did he clear his name?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Re: “Wokeness & cancel culture” vs “Excuse me, I’m speaking” [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

I'm honestly not sure of those details. I'll have to ask him.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: “Wokeness & cancel culture” vs “Excuse me, I’m speaking” [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
BarryP wrote:
I think there's some truth to her point ...

Wow, really ???

So you think there is absolutely zero truth to her point? Like 100% of it was not only exaggerated, but completely wrong?

Or do you think that you disliked her point so much that you won't accept that anything she said had any truth to it, regardless of whether or not there is actually truth to it?

And for the record, I am not siding with her in anyway.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not like, or dislike, her point. The much bigger problem is, she made no point.

People hate and/or dislike one another for thousands of different reasons. But that has nothing to do with the holocaust, where a group of people of a certain ancestry and religion, that had been discriminated against for hundreds of years, was chosen as a convenient scapegoat and then killed by the millions.

How that connects to a trumpster hating his Biden-loving neighbor (or vice versa) completely eludes me.

It is like saying "WWII was a crazy bad war. How is that any different from two neighbors shooting at each other over a disagreement?"

It's an inane and completely irrelevant comparison. There is simply nothing there, it's just completely bizarre. She had no point at all.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
I did not like, or dislike, her point. The much bigger problem is, she made no point.

People hate and/or dislike one another for thousands of different reasons. But that has nothing to do with the holocaust, where a group of people of a certain ancestry and religion, that had been discriminated against for hundreds of years, was chosen as a convenient scapegoat and then killed by the millions.

How that connects to a trumpster hating his Biden-loving neighbor (or vice versa) completely eludes me.

It is like saying "WWII was a crazy bad war. How is that any different from two neighbors shooting at each other over a disagreement?"

It's an inane and completely irrelevant comparison. There is simply nothing there, it's just completely bizarre. She had no point at all.

She made a pretty clear point. You may not like it, but that doesn’t mean she had no point.

Her point was that the Holocaust and WWII didn’t start out at full on war and genocide. It started as one group convincing individual people to hate their neighbors based on religion/ethnicity. And that she sees the current hatred being directed at Trump supporters as analogous, and a dangerous first step down a bad road.

As I said, I don’t agree with her analogy. But there really shouldn’t be much confusion what her point was intended to be.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowguy explained it well. If you still don't understand my position after reading his post, get back to me.

Quote Reply
Re: “Wokeness & cancel culture” vs “Excuse me, I’m speaking” [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

I’m pretty ambivalent about your story. I have no real reason to believe it’s true or false. I haven’t encountered any stories like his in my life. It’s possible that it’s true, but it’s the one-off.

I’m not sure that recanting a rape allegation means a lot. It means something, certainly. But the downside for women for pursuing a rape allegation is pretty big. I personally know of unreported rapes in high school, college, and law school. I just spoke with my cousin last week and learned his daughter was sexually assaulted in the last 3 months in the Navy. She chose to report anonymously (no possibility of criminal charges) so she can have access to counseling. Her assailant is in her same company (?), and while she doesn’t like seeing him, she doesn’t want to have to transfer away. I guess she’s going through a pretty hard time.

Anyway, I don’t really care to get into a discussion in this thread on this topic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Slowguy explained it well. If you still don't understand my position after reading his post, get back to me.

Thanks, I do understand his explanation, but l do not see Carano's point, because she made no point. Her analogy made no sense.

One can TRY to connect ANYthing to nazi germany and the holocaust, but her example had no relevance at all. Her analogy made as much sense as my laughable WWII example in my previous post.

I understand what she was trying to say, but Carano created a worthless, pointless analogy. It's her right of course to say dumb things, but it's my right to say WTF

--
Quote Reply
Re: “Wokeness & cancel culture” vs “Excuse me, I’m speaking” [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't want to derail this, but 2 suggestions. Sexual assault in schools:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GBNHGi36nlM

Sexual assault in the military:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3fBaFQk6aE0

Neither are an easy watch and, in both cases, the true evil is in the cover ups. But knowledge is power.

--
Quote Reply
Re: “Wokeness & cancel culture” vs “Excuse me, I’m speaking” [CallMeMaybe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CallMeMaybe wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

I’m pretty ambivalent about your story. I have no real reason to believe it’s true or false. I haven’t encountered any stories like his in my life. It’s possible that it’s true, but it’s the one-off.

I’m not sure that recanting a rape allegation means a lot. It means something, certainly. But the downside for women for pursuing a rape allegation is pretty big. I personally know of unreported rapes in high school, college, and law school. I just spoke with my cousin last week and learned his daughter was sexually assaulted in the last 3 months in the Navy. She chose to report anonymously (no possibility of criminal charges) so she can have access to counseling. Her assailant is in her same company (?), and while she doesn’t like seeing him, she doesn’t want to have to transfer away. I guess she’s going through a pretty hard time.

Anyway, I don’t really care to get into a discussion in this thread on this topic.

It's possible that it's true? Seriously? If I was telling the opposite side of that story, telling you about my female friend who was assaulted at a party in highschool, would that be your response too?

This is definitely going on a tangent so maybe something that can be in another thread, but, my friend's experience is far from a one off situation. There have been some high profile cases of similar stories. Remember the duke lacrosse team?

There are plenty of women out there perfectly willing to ruin innocent men's lives.

I'm not trying in any way to minimize what women deal with regarding sexual assault. But, we can't blindly believe one side over another and rush to accuse people one way or another. I certainly wouldn't want my daughter to be in your cousin's daughters shoes. But I'm equally sure you wouldn't want your son (if you have one) to be in my accused friend's shoes either.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: “Wokeness & cancel culture” vs “Excuse me, I’m speaking” [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
I also think there’s a substantive difference between hating someone for their politics, and hating someone for their ethnicity.

and...

slowguy wrote:
Her point was that the Holocaust and WWII didn’t start out at full on war and genocide. It started as one group convincing individual people to hate their neighbors based on religion/ethnicity. And that she sees the current hatred being directed at Trump supporters as analogous, and a dangerous first step down a bad road.

i see your points (quotes above taken from 2 of your posts). but i'm not so sure i agree any longer, in the context of america's divisions, that there is a firm line between politics and religion (and perhaps ethnicity). while i understand carano's point, i think she's got it backwards. starting in 1994, with newt gingrich, along with the rise in AM hate radio (limbaugh notably), the people who were the cause of all your personal failures were women, and democrats.

i think you can see that among a lot of republicans there has been a morphing (blending) of religion and republicanism, and now trumpism, sort of like when a new religion imposed on an old, and you get a durable blend of orthodoxy and paganism.

this new trumpo-christianity has replaced the apostle's creed, and you may as well print it on the back of the week's program handed to you as you enter church. there is no more evangelical christianity in america. it's gone. to be fair to believers - and i mean believers, not those who check a "christian" radio button - this religion was always supposed to be a small persecuted insurgency, separate from govt, rendering unto god what is god's. evangelicalism renders unto trump what is god's. today's true christian insurgency is not arrayed against democrats, but against evangelicals.

what are religions and ethnicities other than tribes? can you tell the difference between a serb and a croat? an armenian and a turk? what we have, today, is a quarter century of hate spewed by right winger loudmouths. not disagreement. hate. there is no real difference between evangelicalism and trumpism. you can't parse between them. this is a tribe.

but the hate has been there for a long time, stoked by right wing provocateurs. trump gave it a megaphone, and brought haters out of the closet. he made right wing hate respectable. the reason so many christians and republicans were willing to abandon everything we thought they believed in to side with trump is because we didn't understand what they really believed in all along.

so, i'm not so sure anymore that in our present environment that meaningful difference between politics and religion exists. trumpo-christians have formed something that smells and tastes like a religion, and they have decided that coastal elites, educated women, and so on form the "tribe" of infidels that stand in their way. (which explains why no republican senators will vote for wildly popular legislation, if it's proposed by the infidel party.)

hate is hate.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Feb 26, 21 7:30
Quote Reply
Re: “Wokeness & cancel culture” vs “Excuse me, I’m speaking” [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
hate is hate.

Bingo.

--
Quote Reply
Re: “Wokeness & cancel culture” vs “Excuse me, I’m speaking” [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are plenty of times in our Country's history that are filled with such rancor and division. This is really nothing new for us

Your perpetuating such division with posts such as this just furthers the divide

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha! You see!?

Your first respondent to your post is one of your most ardent acolytes. if you keep curating this forum in the manner you do you'll soon be left with nothing but like minded adherents. No real conversation. Just a endless self licking ice cream cone of hatred.

enjoy

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I do understand his explanation, but l do not see Carano's point,

These two positions contradict each other.

Quote Reply
Re: “Wokeness & cancel culture” vs “Excuse me, I’m speaking” [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
There are plenty of times in our Country's history that are filled with such rancor and division. This is really nothing new for us. Your perpetuating such division with posts such as this just furthers the divide

it's not a divide. it's a war declared by one side on everyone not on that side. republicans have been self-styled as the party of personal responsibility. the only thing that will heal us is for us all to take personal responsibility. to self-examine. to look at the fruit of our actions to date, and the likely future consequences of our behavior. to ask ourselves what are our core beliefs. as in, to list, to write down, the 5 or 6 things that we believe in most ardently, as they pertain to public life. and then ask whether our beliefs and actions comport with our list of imperatives. for me, in no particular order, it's:

- an adherence to democracy, to governors subject to those they govern, to the right of people to vote, the fidelity of our democratic institutions.
- personal liberty, the opportunity for upward mobility, appropriate regulation, goverment that serves the people and the mission, not the institution of government.
- protection for the weak and the oppressed.
- the empowerment of the young through a robust education.
- recognition of america's status as a haven for the downtrodden and persecuted, with a sober calibration of its capacity to absorb immigrants, and the institutions necessary to enforce and empower immigrant and border policy.
- a recognition of america's strategic needs, and a government empowered to effectuate those needs.

i don't think you'd disagree very much with this list of mine. if you hate me because i live on a coast and went to college, then you miss a big opportunity for friendship.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Feb 26, 21 7:49
Quote Reply
Re: “Wokeness & cancel culture” vs “Excuse me, I’m speaking” [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
There are plenty of times in our Country's history that are filled with such rancor and division. This is really nothing new for us

Your perpetuating such division with posts such as this just furthers the divide

Translation:

"Slowman, that post was spot on, but it makes my team look like the bad guys, so I'm going to say whatever I need to say to make it look like YOU'RE the bad guy in order to make your statement look less credible."

Ben Shapiro would be proud.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:
I do understand his explanation, but l do not see Carano's point,

These two positions contradict each other.

Ok, if someone says, "WWII was a crazy bad war. How is that any different from two neighbors shooting at each other over a disagreement?"

I understand what the speaker thinks that they are getting at.

But the actual statement (the above one about WWII) still makes zero sense.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't "hate" you at all brother of mine

I grew up on the same coast and share many of the same experiences and values. I too went to college--although some would argue mine was not a 'real' college.

You're seeing more and more people dropping out of this forum and our collective conversation because of the militancy of a few here. When you take such a drastic stance as you've done in these last few posts---abandoning all sense of measure--then it just exacerbates the declind of this forum into yet another cesspool of one-sided political drivel

Steve
Last edited by: Steve Hawley: Feb 26, 21 8:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barry Barry Barry

Go away and set up another straw man to tilt at--or run another fartlek.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
I don't "hate" you at all brother of mine

I grew up on the same coast and share many of the same experiences and values. I too went to college--although some would argue mine was not a 'real' college.

You're seeing more and more people dropping out of this forum and our collective conversation because of the militancy of a few here. When you take such a drastic stance as you've done in these last few posts---abandoning all sense of measure--then it just exacerbates the declind of this forum into yet another cesspool of one-sided political drivel

my sense is that you have a lot of grievance ongoing. a lot of complaints. you don't like how the forum is moderated, however in your personal experience i've pretty much been on your side, when you've been attacked. so, i don't know what the complaint would be. those who've left are generally invited to leave, involuntarily, and rather than dropping out they invariably try to sneak back in. i don't have any animus toward anyone on any political side. i just want civil convo, and an adherence to some pretty basic rules. there have been an equal number of righties and lefties over the past few months who just... couldn't... live with those rules, and they've been uninvited without respect to political skew.

i don't think what i've written in the "last few posts" is "drastic." it's my point of view. if you disagree, rather than attack me personally, how about just writing your point of view? on, you know, what i wrote, rather than on me personally?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
Barry Barry Barry

Go away and set up another straw man to tilt at--or run another fartlek.

Funny, I was going to say the same thing to you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
Haha! You see!?

Your first respondent to your post is one of your most ardent acolytes. if you keep curating this forum in the manner you do you'll soon be left with nothing but like minded adherents. No real conversation. Just a endless self licking ice cream cone of hatred.

enjoy

A bit over the top here. For sure Dan took a position worthy of meaningful debate with some taking sides in support or in opposition. Acolytes will line up or acolytes will disagree and choose to defend their opposition or they may leave. I say if they leave, then they have no valid response or they just wish to remain ignorant of what others think. You mention that history of our nation says not as big a deal as dan makes out. Pergra to expound.
Quote Reply

Prev Next