Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Registering for a race when there is no guarantee that you will be allowed to travel to the start
Quote | Reply
Hello,
I'm reluctant on registering for a late summer race in another European country. If I register then I have to plan and make bookings for other race related aspects like accommodation, flight, medical test(s), etc.
There a lot of questions with no answer at this moment and only with a few days before the race those will be clear:
  1. There will be a mandatory quarantine (10-14 days) period when arriving for the race and also coming back home?
  2. Will be mandatory to provide a negative Covid test to enter the country and returning?
  3. Will flights be canceled by authorities?
  4. The flight may get canceled due to lack of passengers.
  5. The town I live may be in quarantine at that moment.

How do you cope with this kind of situation?
Quote Reply
Re: Registering for a race when there is no guarantee that you will be allowed to travel to the start [nav|gator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have just realized that there is no point travelling to races if there is any doubt or there is quarantine involved.I live in Australia and want to race and go back to SE Asia to the racing scene but there is just no point so I will do events close to home.
Quote Reply
Re: Registering for a race when there is no guarantee that you will be allowed to travel to the start [nav|gator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi nav|gator.

IMHO the best way to cope this situation is not registering in any race until this uncertain context become absolute solve.

I'm registered for 3 different races in 3 different countries in 2020: 70.3 Uruguay, IM Brazil and IM Switzerland (I live in Argentina). I had to deal with all the policies about flight, hotel and races reservation and that was very stressful and nothing is sure, and unfortunately I think that everything will happen once again.

So my advice from my experience is stay away from races in other countries until everything change for good, and only race in local events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s not that hard. Racing’s not that important. Don’t register.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't register. Not a hard decision. Also, race local.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could ask the RD if they will defer your registration to next year if there are quarantine requirements that would affect you on the date of the race. Not likely the RD would agree, but may be worth a try.

I sent such an email a couple of weeks ago to the RD of a European race I registered for last year that was cancelled and I deferred to this year. The race may happen in May or be postponed to October. The RD informed me that it is too early to give me an answer.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Feb 6, 21 19:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's all race specific. Ask the RD. IM Estonia allowed me to defer when Americans were blocked from traveling to Europe.

Quote | Reply
I don't know where you are but in most western European nations cases are dropping quite dramatically and with vaccine rollouts catching up, thing can change a lot by this summer. Governments in general are a bit nonsensical in that they react to intantaneous emotion vs actual data and real data trends (vs projected data trends that fuel even more emotion). My guess if you will easily be able to move between western European countries without quarantine by this summer.

But if that is a big worry for you, just race local because you should count on race directors inernationally giving your zero latitude. Its not their problem which government implements what restrictions otther than their own preventing them from holding a race.

On my side, I doubt if the travel restrictions that Canada has imposed changes (three day govt hotel quarantine at your own $2000 expense) and if you pass continue at home or your quarantine location. The flip side is all the US and internationls registred for Canadian races won't be able to come, so maybe some of those sold out races open to us, so it goes both ways.

For now, I am just planning to train. I have seven local Olympic and one half IM that rolled over from 2020. If they happen then great.
Quote Reply
Re: Registering for a race when there is no guarantee that you will be allowed to travel to the start [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, seven local Olympic races? Wow, would you mind listing those for me? I'm in SW Ontario and often cross the border for races, but with the border closed I should look into eastern Ontario races.
Quote Reply
Re: Registering for a race when there is no guarantee that you will be allowed to travel to the start [ONDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ONDave wrote:
Dev, seven local Olympic races? Wow, would you mind listing those for me? I'm in SW Ontario and often cross the border for races, but with the border closed I should look into eastern Ontario races.

Sorry should have been 6 and an Olympic tri. They are all on Somersault.ca plus Cornwall tri and Montreal Olympic tri for the 6 plus Demi Esprit in Montreal. I just realized I cancelled Montreal Olympic tri which was originally supposed to be nationals because they downgraded to sprint only. I have no interest in entering sprint tris unless it is head to head with friends who I know are racing. If not I do way more than a sprint tri every day of the year so not interested in that.
Quote Reply