Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Eagleman 2021
Quote | Reply
What are thoughts on the chance of Eagleman taking place this year? Hopefully by June a good portion of the population will have received the Covid vaccination. I raced Eagleman in 2017 and melted on the run - hoping for a better race this time around. I decided to sign up for it, hoping to get a spot at St. George in September. How about the new run course? It has two loops rather than the long out and back. Probably no more shade than before, but possibly more folks out with hoses to cool racers down.

I was contemplating Florida 70.3, but figured a race two months later would be more realistic in terms of actually happening, plus Eagleman is a just a long drive instead of having to fly.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman 2021 [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm cautiously optimistic. Training like it's going to happen. I'll be understanding if it doesnt....but disappointed.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman 2021 [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is rescheduled to September. Again, that’s my guess.

Are people comfortable swimming indoors if they are able? I’m not.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman 2021 [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a teacher and a high school swimming coach. I can say with confidence that I feel much safer in an indoor pool than in my classroom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think vaccination will be that far along by then based on how delayed and disorganized its been so far. Our healthcare system is designed (like everything else in this country) for maximum corporate profit, and can't handle a project of this size. They are using Publix stores in Florida, there's no registration and centralized data on who gets vaccinated, its crazy.
Also, I don't see infection numbers going down in the US anytime soon. There's very little shut-down measures like you see in other countries. As long as the stock market keeps going up, everything is fine.

I did Eagleman in 2019, it actually wasn't its infamous crazy hot, we got lucky with some cloud coverage. Other than the heat, its a super fast course since its totally flat.
For me this race is driving distance so don't have to worry about flights, which is my biggest concern. So I'm crossing my fingers in hope
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman 2021 [klorene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klorene wrote:
I'm a teacher and a high school swimming coach. I can say with confidence that I feel much safer in an indoor pool than in my classroom.

Can I ask why? Frankly, I miss swimming and would love to swim even once a week. That being said, I've been extra cautious, so it seems like a bad risk given my previous lack of activity. In short, convince me to start swimming again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm training like it's going to happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Study in NJ:
https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/...pools-updated-stats/

I’ve been swimming indoors almost daily since pools re-opened locally in early May. I wear my swim suit under a long parka. I have on an N-95 mask when I enter the gym. I skip the locker room and go straight to the pool. Pool allows one person per lane and alternates starting ends. Parka and mask off, goggles and swim cap on, jump in and go. Towel off after, mask and parka on, then straight out, again skipping locker room.
Last edited by: CJHess: Jan 10, 21 9:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There has been research and they have not traced transmission of Covid in the pool anywhere in the world.

You are literally swimming in disinfectant.

Most pools are now operating one per lane. Or two (one from each side)....social distancing to the max. Don't be concerned about when you cross someone in the lane and breathe to each other...see my first point.

We started last summer spraying down kickboards etc after we were done but the new guidance we have in CT (which I think is one of the most careful states) is to just dip the kickboard in the water before storing.

We run 4 kids per lane (2 per side)...no issues.

Most pools have now upped the Chlorine levels in the pool which just maximizes my second point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm signed up for this race as well - deferred from Santa Rosa 2020. I'm training as if it will happen. If it doesn't happen I plan on running my own race. This will be my first 70.3. I've been training way too long to not go out and do the distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:
klorene wrote:

Can I ask why? Frankly, I miss swimming and would love to swim even once a week. That being said, I've been extra cautious, so it seems like a bad risk given my previous lack of activity. In short, convince me to start swimming again.

Cholorine... or salt. I do not know definatively, however, if it stings your eyes, it will likely fry a virus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We finally were able to transfer to IMMD in September and I'm hoping we'll all be vaccinated by then. I feel a bit hopeful for that. But honestly I'm a little more concerned with racing Musselman 70.3 on July 11th.

I was talking to aa long time Ironman athlete after our masters swim practice (small safe group in Vermont). He is signed up for IMLP and was saying there's no way of knowing right now what's going to happen this summer. And all we can do is just keep training and know we'll be OK if our races get postponed yet again.

Not helpful. But so many of us are in the same boat and can only wait and see what happens. I think even if everyone isn't vaccinated by June, Eagleman shouldn't be canceled unless cases are still very bad like at the present moment.

We were originally signed up for IM Wales 2020 and deferred to 2021. I got the green light to transfer to a US Ironman since I do not feel safe to fly (esp overseas!) until things settle down and we're all vaccinated (or most of us). And we can drive to MD from VT.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:
klorene wrote:

So not many people are more freaked out than myself and husband about getting covid19 (and having long term effects - affecting lungs, performance, memory). We are hermits who do not gather or socialize, we obey every restriction from our Governor, stayed home completely alone for the holidays, we don't eat out, we don't shop in stores unless it's absolutely necessary, we get food via curbside orders. The only thing we are doing near other people is swimming with a small exclusive masters group before regular members get into the facility. We get in there when the place has been cleaned. We get 5 minutes in the locker room and we are out of there quickly. This is happening in the middle of Vermont and luckily we also have the lowest rate of cases per capita. I feel safe but do feel like it's still a small risk. I felt miserable in 2020 not being able to swim from March until OWS. So it's a balance act for us. We do nothing else that involves being close to other people except swimming.

As a result of all this, we have a deposit and order placed with Endless pools for the High Performance model. It won't arrive until Sept 2021!!! But at least we will be able swim at home and never worry if the pandemic surges on or we go through another pandemic which is not a crazy notion. At the moment I can't wait for OWS season but cautiously swim with our masters group.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:
My guess is rescheduled to September. Again, that’s my guess.

Are people comfortable swimming indoors if they are able? I’m not.

The water temp in an indoor pool is too cold to support COVID including a salt water pool. A chlorine environment kills COVID.

However if you're going to do IM Maryland 2021 please don't swim. Take the year off, spend time with your family, relax, and sleep in.
Quote Reply
Re: Eagleman 2021 [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
Tri.Tony wrote:
klorene wrote:

So not many people are more freaked out than myself and husband about getting covid19 (and having long term effects - affecting lungs, performance, memory). We are hermits who do not gather or socialize, we obey every restriction from our Governor, stayed home completely alone for the holidays, we don't eat out, we don't shop in stores unless it's absolutely necessary, we get food via curbside orders. The only thing we are doing near other people is swimming with a small exclusive masters group before regular members get into the facility. We get in there when the place has been cleaned. We get 5 minutes in the locker room and we are out of there quickly. This is happening in the middle of Vermont and luckily we also have the lowest rate of cases per capita. I feel safe but do feel like it's still a small risk. I felt miserable in 2020 not being able to swim from March until OWS. So it's a balance act for us. We do nothing else that involves being close to other people except swimming.

As a result of all this, we have a deposit and order placed with Endless pools for the High Performance model. It won't arrive until Sept 2021!!! But at least we will be able swim at home and never worry if the pandemic surges on or we go through another pandemic which is not a crazy notion. At the moment I can't wait for OWS season but cautiously swim with our masters group.

Your description of yourself could have been about me (except no endless pool). I think the compromise may be one swim a week until things improve or get worse.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri.Tony wrote:
70Trigirl wrote:
Tri.Tony wrote:
klorene wrote:

Your description of yourself could have been about me (except no endless pool). I think the compromise may be one swim a week until things improve or get worse.

Even one swim per week will be super helpful. Last year at this time we were buying and selling homes and it was so overwhelming and time consuming I only swam 1x per week before covid19. It was enough to feel like I wasn't totally loosing my swim feel and get my water fix. I looked forward to that one Sunday swim so much. Maybe find a time when the pool is least crowded to swim 1x per week. It will make a big difference.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About three months out from the race, it looks like Maryland is opening up. Not sure if this is good or bad for prospects of the race happening. Good, if things continue to improve, but if there’s a spike it could be bad.

I haven’t been in a pool in about a year and haven’t swam since September. I’m hoping that using Stretch Cordz several times a week and trying to get 3-4 weeks of open water swimming in starting in mid May can help a bit.

Here’s a recent article from the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/...f0398f49a_story.html

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply