Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoe advice
Quote | Reply
Going to start running more again as the past year has been mostly focused on cycling. Looking for new shoes for training on roads. I used to love my Altra Escalante for the large toe box but the zero drop causes issues for me with plantar fasciitis. What shoes do you love that have a decent toe box, 4-6 mm drop, decent cushion but nothing crazy. Do hokas have bigger toe boxes now?
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe advice [ltaylor108] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nike Zoom Fly 3 - great toe box, 8mm drop, excellent cushioning

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to check out Topo Athletic’s shoes; a wide toe box like Altra and most models have 5mm drop. I haven’t used the road shoes but I use their Ultraventure for trail and really like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe try heel supports in the Escalante if that is their only issue for you?

Maybe it's my imagination but it seems run shops get a bit less love than bike shops around here. If it's possible in the current climate go to a good one, pick their brain, try what they've got and pay a little more for the service. I've regretted plenty of shoes I've bought online and can't remember regretting one I've tried on at a shop.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe advice [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you - I have heard great things about the Nike Zooms. In addition to racing in it, is it a durable trainer?
Last edited by: ltaylor108: Oct 28, 20 18:20
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe advice [Ijustrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ijustrun wrote:
You might want to check out Topo Athletic’s shoes; a wide toe box like Altra and most models have 5mm drop. I haven’t used the road shoes but I use their Ultraventure for trail and really like it.

Yes, I should have mentioned I have also tried some road Topo's. I like the tow box and the drop is great. The feel is meh and they are a bit heavy but a great trainer I suppose
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe advice [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
Maybe try heel supports in the Escalante if that is their only issue for you?

Maybe it's my imagination but it seems run shops get a bit less love than bike shops around here. If it's possible in the current climate go to a good one, pick their brain, try what they've got and pay a little more for the service. I've regretted plenty of shoes I've bought online and can't remember regretting one I've tried on at a shop.

Yes, I plan to go into a shop soon but wanted to get some other ideas since my local shop has limited selection. They don't typically recommend something they don't carry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ltaylor108 wrote:
thank you - I have heard great things about the Nike Zooms. In addition to racing in it, is it a durable trainer?

Some people get hundreds of miles off of a pair, but they are not that durable for me. I have a lot of pairs of them. They are my favorite shoes that I have ever trained in.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe advice [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Zoom Fly3 is about $160 new, but they are pretty easy to find at Nike outlet stores for about half that price, and they're on sale online pretty much everywhere all the time. I'm on my second pair and they have lasted a very long time so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also do like my Altra Escalante (both 1.5 and 2) for the big toe box. I mix it with NB Fresh Foam 1080v9, and it feel great for both easy and even tempo runs (have four pairs of it).

Not sure if v10 of NB has the same toe box as v9. Heard that it a little bit narrow.
Used to run in Hoka Clifton 3 and 6 - was also good for my feet.

Gonna give Nike Zoom Fly a shot.
Last edited by: NickMa: Oct 28, 20 20:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can also check out the saucony kinvaras/ride. Kinvaras are a bit more minimalistic and at lower end of your drop range. Some people like using them for everything and others will use them only for faster sessions. Ride is more of a traditional every day easy shoe but can still get you by for faster stuff if needed.

I also just ordered a pair of the peg turbo 2 which I have heard is better than zoom fly in many ways but I don't have personal experience with either shoe. can be had for a discount at jackrabbit currently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saucony Endorphin Speed.....hands down. Cost $160

Best all around trainer. It has the toe box your looking for, a plate, nice cushioning, (Pebax foam). Just google the reviews. Tons of them on youtube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike Epic React, I think the new model is called React Infinity but you should be able to fund them on sale for around $100(I paid $70-75 each for mine, 10 pairs or so). Both are Flyknit so the upper is stretchy and the toebox stretches so it shouldn't feel tight/narrow. Big fan of the React midsole material. Drop is closer to 8mm.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe advice [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my endorphins, but as someone with wide feet I disagree that the toe box is roomy. Nobody seems to make a pebax based shoe with room for your toes. I make the endorphins work by leaving shoe expander in them when I'm not running - that seems to stretch them out for a day or so.
Quote Reply
Re: Shoe advice [Kwalton839] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Pro is a little smaller than the Speed. The speed is roomy for me....almost too roomy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put 4mm heel cushions into my Altras.. works great, haven't had any blistering or other issues with them. Now I have a 4mm drop large toe box shoe with a little extra heel cushion..
Last edited by: doug in co: Nov 2, 20 9:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ltaylor108 wrote:
I used to love my Altra Escalante for the large toe box but the zero drop causes issues for me with plantar fasciitis. What shoes do you love that have a decent toe box, 4-6 mm drop, decent cushion but nothing crazy.

Topo Athletic is the obvious answer. They are targeted precisely at people like you. I have their Ultraventure trail shoes and love them. I haven't tried their road shoes, but the Ultrafly 3 is very high on my list when I need another pair of trainers.

ltaylor108 wrote:
Do hokas have bigger toe boxes now?

You said, "Decent cushion but nothing crazy," and then you ask about Hokas?! Crazy cushion is exactly what Hoka is known for. In my experience, their D-width shoes are on the narrow side. However, you can get some models in 2E width, like the Clifton & Bondi. The Bondi is the quintessential "crazy cushion" shoe. The Clifton's stack height is not completely insane, but the midsole foam is quite squishy (degree of squishiness might depend somewhat on model year I have the Clifton 6 in 2E width).

Kwalton839 wrote:
I love my endorphins, but as someone with wide feet I disagree that the toe box is roomy. Nobody seems to make a pebax based shoe with room for your toes.

I feel your pain. There are a lot of narrow-footed shoe reviewers out there that say any average-width shoe has a wide toe box. Because an average-width shoe is already wide for them, they can't tell the difference between a shoe that's actually wider than normal and one that's just wide for them.

My impression is that the consensus is that fast/racing shoes are supposed to have a tighter fit, and thus my assumption is that probably none of the new super shoes have a wider than average toe box. And as far as I am aware, none of the new super shoes coming out these days come in wide sizes.
Quote Reply