Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Interesting read on black lives matter movement.
Quote | Reply
https://www.yonkerstribune.com/...icans-by-leslie-taha

If the statistics are correct it puts a lot of things in perspective
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting read on black lives matter movement. [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure they are un-creative in their fever dream by blaming Soros, but I do enjoy them also blaming Taco Bell.

Kudos on finding nut job with a new perspective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting to note that the sources referenced in article are themselves funded by conservative groups (ie InfluenceWatch). I'm not suggesting BLM organization is beyond reproach.
Right from the beginning he claims BLM is not 'grass-roots, black created, black run organization dedicated to fighting racism' because it is at least partially funded by wealthy individuals (white) and corperations. . . he'd have to flesh that out a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the overall premise of the article but a few points to call out:
1. as someone else said you can't counter BLM bias/media bias with your own biased information - namely a few links to very conservative sites
2. This quote:
So let’s do the math here. 2,600 African Americans killed by other African Americans and 209 killed by the police (justified or otherwise). So who is killing African Americans? Other African Americans. But who does the media put all of their focus on? The “white racist” police.
If the author doesn't see the difference between citizens killing citizens and law enforcement officers killing citizens then we have a problem. Now, drill down on those 209 killed by the police to see which are truly justified and which constitute police murder and if THAT number is significantly smaller than 209 then you have an argument. And I think you need to put it up against the number of unjustified killings of white people in relation to the crime rate of black vs white to have a more complete picture. That said the number, at least according to WaPo who is tracking this now, does look to be significantly smaller.
3. Floyd being a criminal, or even engaging in a criminal act when police interacted with him, does not justify his death by police. It means he's not an upstanding citizen, but they deserve equal protection under the law.
4. This quote:
All of that combined with his struggle with the police as they tried to subdue him is what caused him to go into cardiopulmonary arrest.
This is possible, and I have another thread on this right now. Still, he wasn't 'struggling with the police', he was definitely acting erratically but why the need to subdue and kneel on his neck? Was he a danger to the police or bystanders? He seemed to be struggling, saying 'I can't breathe' even before he was put on the ground. Was he trying to get up, why the need to use the neck restraint?

I support much of this authors viewpoints but this is too far in support of the law and order side of things, you need a more balanced viewpoint to appeal to a large enough audience.

Quote Reply
Re: Interesting read on black lives matter movement. [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam Harris did a podcast a month or two back about police killings where he alluded to some stats.

From what I recall, it seems like this is one of those instances where it depends on what you normalize the killings to as far as trying to determine if there is a disproportionate killing of black people by cops. Plus taking into other factors, for example I think he said suicide by police is largely a white phenomenon which could skew the data.

Pretty sure he also gave some stats that police killings are considerably down over recent years/decades.

There's got to be a criminologist or sociologist out there familiar with all the data that's available to shed some light on this but I haven't seen it.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting read on black lives matter movement. [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think this issue has become far too politicized for their to be any unbiased discussion out of fear of repercussions from people of opposing views.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting read on black lives matter movement. [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Sam Harris did a podcast a month or two back about police killings where he alluded to some stats.

From what I recall, it seems like this is one of those instances where it depends on what you normalize the killings to as far as trying to determine if there is a disproportionate killing of black people by cops. Plus taking into other factors, for example I think he said suicide by police is largely a white phenomenon which could skew the data.

Pretty sure he also gave some stats that police killings are considerably down over recent years/decades.

There's got to be a criminologist or sociologist out there familiar with all the data that's available to shed some light on this but I haven't seen it.

This portion had me laughing, "Are police shootings of African American men on the rise? No they are not. In fact they are on the decline. According to the Juvenile and Criminal Justice Report, the rate of police killings of African Americans has fallen by 70% over the last 40-50 years."

I can't imagine what has happened over the past 40 to 50 years that could have had a huge impact in the numbers.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting read on black lives matter movement. [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
This portion had me laughing, "Are police shootings of African American men on the rise? No they are not. In fact they are on the decline. According to the Juvenile and Criminal Justice Report, the rate of police killings of African Americans has fallen by 70% over the last 40-50 years."

I can't imagine what has happened over the past 40 to 50 years that could have had a huge impact in the numbers.

It's not at all odd that many don't want to explore why that number isn't a lot closer to 0% without calling into question every minor indiscretion of the victim while ignoring every indiscretion of the LEO. It's hard to have an honest discussion when that POV is up against the POV that all cops want to kill all black people. There is a lot of gray area that is being overlooked.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting read on black lives matter movement. [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scroll up a few posts, I think you're proving a point. The debate is dead we have Blue vs Red debate and no one is interested in the truth anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple thoughts:

- Wow that is poorly written. Immediate points off the top for being a shitty writer.

- The fact that we had an African-American president for 8 years says little to nothing about the existence of racism.

- I keep seeing this narrative that liberals and minorities are hailing George Floyd as a hero, when in fact he was a career criminal and we shouldn't be putting him on a pedestal. Is anyone actually saying that he was some sort of hero? If so I haven't heard that, only that he didn't deserve to die the way he did.

- I don't think anyone is suggesting that the knee on neck restraint is administered in an inherently racist manner. I do think using it for 8 minutes on a person who is already struggling to breathe and clearly doesn't need further restraint says a lot about the individual administering it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

Which statistic and which "things?"
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting read on black lives matter movement. [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:

But did you look at the actual source for that information? It's not terribly supportive of the thesis of the author. It's classic cherry-picking. The source publication used as the source of that statistic has two charts. Here are the charts.

Gee, for some reason the author left out statistics that weren't convenient (as is very common in these discussions). Also this sentence, "Still, the rates for younger African Americans remain 4.5 times higher, and for older African Americans 1.7 times higher, than for other races and ages."

I'm not making any claims as to the accuracy of this data. I'm just reporting the information from his own sources, as-is.

Quote:

You mean Civil Rights activism?
Last edited by: trail: Aug 31, 20 16:04
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting read on black lives matter movement. [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dgconner154 wrote:
- I keep seeing this narrative that liberals and minorities are hailing George Floyd as a hero, when in fact he was a career criminal and we shouldn't be putting him on a pedestal. Is anyone actually saying that he was some sort of hero? If so I haven't heard that, only that he didn't deserve to die the way he did.

Also, at least this conviction on Floyd's record he is probably innocent of and was just set up by yet another one of those supposedly rare "bad apples". It is not exactly shocking he would be panicked when confronted by police, considering the last time he was arrested. The prosecutor had flagged Floyd's case prior to his death, because it matched the pattern this cop had when committing crimes. All the people this cop lied about were minorities.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting read on black lives matter movement. [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't think that Soros is to blame, but the founders of BLM (Garza, Cullors, Tometi) are self professed Marxists whose openly stated goals are dismantling capitalism and things like "white supremacy", "patriarchy", "imperialism", "nuclear family structure" and so on. Their support for Fidel Castro was absolutely disgusting.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting read on black lives matter movement. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

That feels like a loaded question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
trail wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

If specificity in discussing statistics or things makes you uncomfortable, I understand.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting read on black lives matter movement. [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
dismantling ... things like "white supremacy",

OK, you have a point with the other ones. But is dismantling white supremacy a bad thing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
trail wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

If specificity in discussing statistics or things makes you uncomfortable, I understand.

No but choosing my words carefully. I have already been told by a ST member that I need to go back to my white privilege life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I have already been told by a ST member that I need to go back to my white privilege life.

That's not all that terrible. I really enjoy my white privilege life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
I have already been told by a ST member that I need to go back to my white privilege life.

That's not all that terrible. I really enjoy my white privilege life.

I am white. And work HARD... If that's privilege then I guess I do as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
alex_korr wrote:

OK, you have a point with the other ones. But is dismantling white supremacy a bad thing?

Define the white supremacy to be dismantled and there can be a discussion, but I posit what you and I define as white supremacy differs from theirs.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting read on black lives matter movement. [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
trail wrote:
alex_korr wrote:

Define the white supremacy to be dismantled and there can be a discussion, but I posit what you and I define as white supremacy differs from theirs.

"the belief that white people are superior to those of all other races, especially the black race, and should therefore dominate society."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

I am white. And work HARD... If that's privilege then I guess I do as well.

Getting off-topic, but being privileged has no relation to how hard you work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It depends on whether you believe that it exists in 2020. Does it exist in Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Denver, Seattle? I see no evidence of it.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
windywave wrote:
trail wrote:
alex_korr wrote:

"the belief that white people are superior to those of all other races, especially the black race, and should therefore dominate society."

How does one dismantle that and does that even exist?
Quote Reply

Prev Next