Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Did Zwift get Tour du France Virtuel Stage 2 wrong?
Quote | Reply
They called Julien Bernard at the line over Freddy Ovett, but this screenshot I took seems to suggest the reverse.
Last edited by: teichs42: Jul 6, 20 12:55
Quote Reply
Re: Did Zwift get Tour du France Virtuel Stage 2 wrong? [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This screen shot is slightly worse than the Zapruder film
Quote Reply
Re: Did Zwift get Tour du France Virtuel Stage 2 wrong? [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's weird is that Zwift appears to show different rider positions in the overhead shot than in the head-on shot. I'm sure in Zwift's location calcs they got the right winner, but the rendering is inaccurate (kinda the way lots of riders see their avatar take turns wide).

Overhead shot: Two riders finishing side-by-side

Head On: One rider clearly ahead.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That screenshot seems to be 15 m past the finish. Maybe Ovett kept pedaling and Bernard stopped at the line? I know, though, that Ovett looked to have it before Bernard passed him just before the line, so your image does seem inconsistent with what I thought that I saw.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Zwift get Tour du France Virtuel Stage 2 wrong? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you look at the shots that I posted (basically right at the line), you can see that Zwift is a bit inconsistent in it's rendering. Normally that's not an issue, but it does make it hard to call close finishes when what's clac'd by the servers and what's shown to each viewer may not be totally in sync.

In this case Zwift can/does literally show two different results of the same instant.

Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUnOS06RRIE

You can use the timestamps from the previously posted screen captures to view it yourself (I recommend going to 0.25 speed).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Last edited by: Titanflexr: Jul 6, 20 17:19
Quote Reply
Re: Did Zwift get Tour du France Virtuel Stage 2 wrong? [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
That screenshot seems to be 15 m past the finish. Maybe Ovett kept pedaling and Bernard stopped at the line? I know, though, that Ovett looked to have it before Bernard passed him just before the line, so your image does seem inconsistent with what I thought that I saw.

Here's one right at the line. The rendering thing I guess makes sense, but that's beyond my knowledge. Even slowing down the video, I still don't see Bernard getting Ovett, but then again, that view is so high up it's tough to see.
Last edited by: teichs42: Jul 7, 20 8:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in another race about a month back, can't remember which, the same kind of thing happened where we clearly "saw" the winner was rider A, but final results had rider B winning. it wasn't actually crystal clear, but i think everyone agreed it was rider A, and the announcers had to go on to explain that the actual calculated winner doesn't always match up exactly with the render at the finish line. that seems like something they need to get right in order to make this a viewable experience to the masses.
Quote Reply