Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
bike computer that let's wife track me
Quote | Reply
so i got lost on a weekend getaway ride a few days ago and added 2-3 hours of cycling which put my fiance in a frenzied state of worry.

are their any recommendations for a cycling computer or phone app (that doesn't quickly drain my phone battery) that would let my fiance check in on my location and send out a signal if I get into a crash?
Quote Reply
Re: bike computer that let's wife track me [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Google maps-> share location
you can do it for a set amount of time. Or until you turn it off.
She can also see you battery life on your phone which may be useful.
Last edited by: Eroc43: Jul 6, 20 12:18
Quote Reply
Re: bike computer that let's wife track me [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eroc43 wrote:

Damn that is smart!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a Garmin, you can use their Live Tracking features. It needs to be connected to a phone, but I don't think it is a significant battery drain. The other is Strava's beacon feature. Though, that is probably more of a phone drain if you are using Strava to track a very long activity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a Garmin, there is a "live track" feature built into most of it's devices.
https://support.garmin.com/...qxxbiBGA3mDhlLX4GUw8
Quote Reply
Re: bike computer that let's wife track me [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i should clarify, all those require cell service, which is the problem. there is none in the CA mtns
Quote Reply
Re: bike computer that let's wife track me [Eroc43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eroc43 wrote:

While true, I occasionally have issues with it turning itself off. This happens with 3 different phones in my family. So, periodic checks to ensure its still on, would be necessary.

Just about any garmin GPS head unit or watch when paired with a phone will also provide this function via "live track". I use this every run/ride and it emails my wife, daughter, and father a link to follow along. I think most new garmin units also have "crash detection" which will send an automatic alert to your designated contacts in a "high-g" event---but, I don't have one of those units. So, I can't attest to its usefulness (falst-positives/negatives).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:
i should clarify, all those require cell service, which is the problem. there is none in the CA mtns
Then you need a satellite phone.

Any tracking tool needs some way to get your location broadcast back to the world. Cellular service is generally the only means for this. Even a satellite phone (posted in jest a little), requires the user to initiate the connection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:

In that case, I think you want one of these:

https://www.findmespot.com/en-us/

My dad uses one when he goes on epic motorcycle rides cross country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:

If you really have zero coverage, then you're probably SOL. But, if you have spotty coverage, I'd give Google Maps location sharing a shot. It's possible that your phone will get enough signal to update every now and again.

There are a few devices (GoFindMe)that will talk to each other, to give you tracking without cellular service, but they typically have a 3-5 mile range. Otherwise I suppose you could carry a Personal Locator Beacon, or a Satellite Messenger for emergencies, which might give her some peace of mind.

Edit: Actually, the SPOT trace Satellite Tracker should work for you.
Last edited by: bufordt: Jul 6, 20 12:50
Quote Reply
Re: bike computer that let's wife track me [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also if you give your route a ahead of time, maps will update when you do have a signal. So she could track you along the route and at least know where you last were and where you are going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:

You need an InReach or SPOT - the InReach devices integrate with other Garmin devices (see DC Rainmaker's Review - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...in-depth-review.html ) but they aren't cheap (device or service). My sister has one and they work (although it's good to make sure you have a satellite lock before you head out) if you're frequently in areas without good/any cell coverage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would this work?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Life360 app on the iPhone, it's not real time tracking but it does show where you have been or are at with periodical location updates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a new garmin 530 and have started using the live track with good luck. I ride in the mountains all the time and lose signal but it does a good job of estimating etc. My wife is really happy with it and I am amazed at how little battery or data it uses.
Quote Reply
Re: bike computer that let's wife track me [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Life360 absolutely does real time tracking or at least the premium version which we have does.

Everyone in my family has it on their phones although my 25yr old daughter keeps hers turned off and only switches it on for us when she goes on a road trip.
Quote Reply
Re: bike computer that let's wife track me [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewjshults wrote:
peace242000 wrote:

You need an InReach or SPOT - the InReach devices integrate with other Garmin devices (see DC Rainmaker's Review - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...in-depth-review.html ) but they aren't cheap (device or service). My sister has one and they work (although it's good to make sure you have a satellite lock before you head out) if you're frequently in areas without good/any cell coverage.

The SPOT devices are considerable cheaper than the InReach ones. The basic tracker is $99. The one with a keypad for messaging is only $200....vice the $350+ for the InReach. Service prices seem to be the same $11/month subscription or $15 for a single ad-hoc month.
Quote Reply
Re: bike computer that let's wife track me [Exige] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exige wrote:
I have a new garmin 530 and have started using the live track with good luck. I ride in the mountains all the time and lose signal but it does a good job of estimating etc. My wife is really happy with it and I am amazed at how little battery or data it uses.

Ditto. It also has incident detection that will alert if in a crash.

If I go for all day rides (e.g. mountain bike), oftentimes I will throw in a small battery backup and cable for emergency use on my phone. Low weight insurance.

I have been considering the InReach as I have been in some pretty remote off road trails with little to no cell service.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strava has the beacon feature which allows you to share a link with a few people via which they are able to see where you are (in case they're worried). I believe it's only available via Strava Summit though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Life360 is free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had friends do the Tour Divide and they use a Spot. It's the most reliable in areas with no cell/data service. It gives them (and their families) peace of mind.
Quote Reply
Re: bike computer that let's wife track me [lyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the Garmin 530 head unit. The crash detection works well. I crashed last year in the rain and it sent a text to my wife with a map of where i was along with GPS coordinates.

As others have said, it uses my phone to send the text. No impact on battery drain as it is connected through bluetooth and only uses the phone in a emergency.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see that you said you dont have cell service - and like others have said you might be SOL unless you get one of the Spot devices that works more with satellite than cell towers.

FYI - I imagine most people carry their phones when riding. RoadID has an app - you can set it for your anticipated length (time) of ride. It has you enter a contact, and if the app senses you have stopped moving for a certain amount of time (adjustable, but mine is set for 5 min) - it sends a SOS/text to that contact letting them know. They can also track you to see where you are. Even though I share my location (find my friends) - it gives a nice sense of security that if I were to have an incident he'd be notified sooner by using this app than if he had decided to check in on me. Plus it doesnt burn the phone battery that much.

Does using the Garmin live track kill your device battery (I've never tried it)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Wahoo Bolt has a Live Tracking capability also, though it uses the Wahoo app on your phone while in use so you'd still need cellphone service.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Re: bike computer that let's wife track me [mtrichick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I use the Garmin live track every ride. The impact is quite minimal to battery life. I've done four plus hour rides and my phone is never dead or anything.

I do have reception get dropped on some and it doesn't pick back up so it isn't perfect but does a good job. My wife also uses it every run.

On top of knowing where someone is you can see pace and HR. The HR piece, especially in a race cna be good info to know how it is going.
Quote Reply

Prev Next