Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit derterioriation
Quote | Reply
Hi all

Anyone got experience or knowledge on how wetsuits deteriorate over time / use ?

I'm using a 4 year old Orca 3.8.
It's had plenty of use (it gets used through winter as we have a fantastic spring fed pool nearby - 16 or 17C all year). I like the suit. No quibbles about the quality. I'll have another, no prob.

The panels over the shoulders and down the sides - those which are of course thinnest and most flexi - are breaking up on the surface. It almost looks like perishing, but dont think it is. It's still flexi and and supple, and all intact. All the other panels in the suit are in good condition.

Is this just 4 years of good use = the material is 'fatigued'.
Any experience of how long I'll get from it ? Is this common ? Will it last for another season or two then great.
My only concern is a big rip a week out from a race and the faff of getting a new suit, chances the fit has changed, etc.
(I've got some swim events in the 5-10km range).

Do new unused suits 'age' if I go buy a new one and alternative use / keep the new one as sunday-best (and use the old one for most swims til it dies).

My previous suit just wore out (literally down to no rubber at contact points under arms and between legs ) so I've not come across this problem before.

I've no prob buying a new one if needed, but just don't like tossing away usable kit - its not good for the planet (or my wallet).

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit derterioriation [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! I could have written your post BobAjobb! I was looking at my wetsuit just last week (4 year old Orca 3.8.) and like you, noticed the panels over the shoulders are breaking up on the surface with what looks like striation lines.

I did send a picture to Orca asking if this could be a sign of deterioration but never got a reply.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit derterioriation [Blueisthecolour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm... interesting.
I'll try email / faceache from this side of the Pond and see if there's any response. Will post back anything i hear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neoprene can dry out and crack. You should use conditioner on it periodically. You should also soak it in water for an hour or so before using if you have not used it in a while. Especially in spring after it has been hanging in a heated house all winter. They will last a while if you take care of them.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit derterioriation [GT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.
When you say 'conditioner' what donyou mean exactly ?

I do do the soaking if its not been used for a few weeks (yes it does defo make it more supple for whatever reason).
Lucky the wetsuit gets regular use as i get to swim pretty much all year round in a spring fed chemical-free pool (it'll be 17.5C at the shallow end and abiut 16.5 at the deep end when I'm in there tomorrow eve 😁) so rarely goes more than 2 weeks without wetting.

I was particularly wondering why just 2 panels on the suit are deteriorating, and also why on this suit whereas my previous (Huub) suit's material is still fine even tho older - that one is just worn through where rubbing occurs - that's been looked after the same way, used in same conditions etc
(And nether have been in chlorine pools at all - fresh water for 99% and maybe a few sea swims)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought mine in 2012. It lives in a dark closet inside out when not being used and its still kicking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bought a Desoto T1 in 2005 and still using it, though sounds like you use frequently in training as well as racing. Taking it on and off probably puts the most wear and tear on it. I had mine repaired a couple of times from me pushing finger through it but neoprene still in good condition. Thoroughly wash, rinse, and air dry in shade after use then store inside home. Never have used a conditioner or any such product on it, just clean water and don't leave in the sun to dry.

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit derterioriation [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Roka Maverick X from a few years ago, looks good as new. Stored in a dark closet and inside out but also rarely used since my sprint tris I do most of the time had warm water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a sleeveless ProMotion from 2002 and a Desoto T1 from around 2004 that are still in great shape. The promotion one has been relegated to pool duty and it shows no signs of cracking. The T1 is my main suit that gets used about 8-10 times/yr. They lay flat in the basement covered in a sheet all year. They get washed a few times a year and hit with armor all once or twice a year. Other than that nothing special. Maybe a bad batch of rubber or maybe newer suits are more "fragile"?

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply