Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Wurf racing Voltao ao Algarve 5 day stage race
Quote | Reply
Just saw this on twitter. Good to see how he will go over a five day stage race with a solid team line up...

https://twitter.com/.../1229451220177301510
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf racing Voltao ao Algarve 5 day stage race [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Just saw this on twitter. Good to see how he will go over a five day stage race with a solid team line up...

I wonder if he will run/swim after any of the stages.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf racing Voltao ao Algarve 5 day stage race [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Wonder that too. If tactics dictate that he sits in the pack all day that’s not much of a workout. I remember Froome getting through some to tour stages on 185 W average power.

I also wonder if they will let him go 100% in the time trial, because there’s no reason for the team for him to do that.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf racing Voltao ao Algarve 5 day stage race [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
Wonder that too. If tactics dictate that he sits in the pack all day that’s not much of a workout. I remember Froome getting through some to tour stages on 185 W average power.

I also wonder if they will let him go 100% in the time trial, because there’s no reason for the team for him to do that.

Well, what's the roll? Bottles or support for other riders? Really depends on that.

The person sitting in is the team leader/chosen one for the OA win.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf racing Voltao ao Algarve 5 day stage race [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The TT is on the last day, so who knows. But he could very well realize that the last day is "only" 20k and do a bunch of training before/after so I wouldn't expect a great time, he'll be tired either way from doing his job. His role is to support whoever is the leader, and with Thomas and Kwiatkowski they have the winners of 4 of the last 6-7 years. So very likely some riding at the front if there are breakaways and getting bottles if not. He can't risk doing other sports if there are still stages ahead where the team expects him to support.

ETA: despite all that, it would be awesome if his task was to get in a break, and with some luck try for a win. But he'd need to have improved a bit since the first race to achieve that.
Last edited by: tomdefietsbom: Feb 18, 20 13:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
Shambolic wrote:

I wonder if he will run/swim after any of the stages.

Ridiculous!!!

đŸ˜¡

You do NOT swim after biking
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same if he will make any a brick session like the Cadel Evans race. I'm pretty sure his priority will be to ensure he gets through the race...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont see him doing anything outside the race, until the last day is over. He has a job to do, and running a 10k after a days stage, just makes his less effective for that job. Unless the team just doesnt care, but I suspect he is considered a team member, so has to act accordingly. And taking 4 days off running and swimming is no big deal this time of year, and a race like this can really help cement his cycling to where it was a couple years ago..

And if the tt is the last day, why would they not let him fly, stupid question..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I was thinking the same if he will make any a brick session like the Cadel Evans race. I'm pretty sure his priority will be to ensure he gets through the race...

Yeah, I was being a bit tongue in cheek. You would think that Ineos would expect him to have a few days off swim/run & focus on the race.
This is where I am not sure that serving two masters is a good thing, but that's just my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His priority will be to protect Thomas and Kwiatkowski's GC ambitious, which will likely mean spending a lot of time on front helping control break.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His coach is the Enios coach so I am sure there is a master plan. He is just a domestique so I am sure in between these races he is getting in plenty of swimming and running. Not a bad five day bike block ending with a TT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wish Wurf the best. This is great for the sport of triathlon. Top triathletes that could compete professionally with cyclists, swimmers or runners would be much admired.

Wurf is probably the highest placed triathlete competing at a high professional level in cycling.

Is there anyone like that running?

Do we have anyone like that in swimming?

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf racing Voltao ao Algarve 5 day stage race [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there anyone like that running?

Do we have anyone like that in swimming? //

We have had many, many crossover athletes from swimming and running, and from a much higher level that Wurf is racing now(low level journeyman domestic) But most of those were in different time frames, so that makes his a little bit more special. But for a guy like Alex Yee running 27 high 10k, it would be in the ballpark of what Wurf is doing in cycling, maybe even better.(highly debatable and unknowable really) We have had olympic swimmers as triathletes and do very well, certainly a much higher level that a domestic in cycling.

Seems like if we have any folks doing two sports at a high level, it would be folks in the ITU ranks right now. OF course there was the ultimate he who should not be named, pretty hard to beat those stats.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf racing Voltao ao Algarve 5 day stage race [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Being Australian, coming from a cycling background and watching Wurf racing teams at one of my early 70.3 races tear the bike course apart just after leaving Cannondale I'm a huge fanboy.

I think running and swimming is a lot harder as they don't have domestiques like cycling and you have to be totally dedicated to one sport. The only real recent comparison I can think to follow produced from triathlon is Gwen Jorgensen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Being Australian, coming from a cycling background and watching Wurf racing teams at one of my early 70.3 races tear the bike course apart just after leaving Cannondale I'm a huge fanboy.

I think running and swimming is a lot harder as they don't have domestiques like cycling and you have to be totally dedicated to one sport. The only real recent comparison I can think to follow produced from triathlon is Gwen Jorgensen.

1st stage: Lost 4.m45s. Position 139 out of 172. The first 96 guys arrived in the big bunch .....

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf racing Voltao ao Algarve 5 day stage race [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juanillo wrote:

1st stage: Lost 4.m45s. Position 139 out of 172. The first 96 guys arrived in the big bunch .....

Today 147th, in the sprinter's group 21 minutes down. And not because he was working. DQS was doing the work (and winning the stage).

So far he appears to be exactly the same cyclist he was when he retired from pro cycling. Which is to say lower-tier domestique.

Or maybe he's just saving up for an amazing day in the break.
Last edited by: trail: Feb 20, 20 10:56
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf racing Voltao ao Algarve 5 day stage race [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ineos did their share of work into the base of the climb. He probably pulled earlier and therefore didn't need to push it up the climb - save the legs for more days of domestique duty. He is likely on the low end of the domestique's on his team, but he is on arguably one of the most talented teams in the professional peloton. His finish times are irrelevant as long as he makes the cut off. I would imagine he is doing exactly what is being asked of him.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf racing Voltao ao Algarve 5 day stage race [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flynnzu wrote:
I would imagine he is doing exactly what is being asked of him.

He'd be the only Ineos rider doing their job at that race, then. Somehow their GC rider ended up 12 minutes down, and their sprinter paced Geraint Thomas into 20th. At least Kwiat is sort of in a decent position (14th).
Last edited by: trail: Feb 21, 20 5:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Evenepoel is killing it.

How much talent can you have :-)

a few years ago he was a soccer player
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really surprised by G's performance. He showed last year he knows how to peak for the only race he cares about which for him will be later in the year. Was a bit surprised they didn't have anyone up a little closer fighting for it, however most of their leaders there are targeting races later and perhaps can't be on flying form all year long like some of the young guns.

Remco shows up to race. With the final time trial in this race, he really only needs to follow wheels - however as he showed in Argentina, that is not his style. He wants to race.

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On sunday a 20km Time Trail ... will CW arrive near Remco Evenepoel?
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf racing Voltao ao Algarve 5 day stage race [enricobraglia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol. We should guess how far down Cam comes. Cam is a wonderful sportman, but he is at least 1 minute down. Actually 2.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did anyone else see that the Volta ao Algarve official site has .GPX files available for the courses? That is cool.
Quote Reply
Re: Wurf racing Voltao ao Algarve 5 day stage race [enricobraglia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
enricobraglia wrote:

No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
enricobraglia wrote:

No.

He does crack me up at times. Saw this on IG and the response from Luke Rowe regarding Evenpoel was great! https://www.instagram.com/p/B8zJgYcBRVM/
Quote Reply

Prev Next