Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far
Quote | Reply
I've posted before about my disdain for Active.com from annoyingly high fees, to their straight up dishonest membership that was being tacked on to people's orders without them knowing. but now they've gone too far. a few years back they bought coolrunning.com which was a site that listed running (and a lot of tri, cycling, and multisport) race calendars. more importantly coolrunning hosted probably 10,000+ race results from across the country for the last 30 years. now they've taken down those results (due to privacy laws, really? smells like BS) in order to promote their own site, active results (which won't include the historical results). basically they are wiping out history of these sports! as an athletic community we can not let this happen!
Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a few well place and polite messages to them might induce them to make the results available again at least temporarily. But we're not going to get anywhere by demanding. They don't really have to do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
I think a few well place and polite messages to them might induce them to make the results available again at least temporarily. But we're not going to get anywhere by demanding. They don't really have to do anything.

I'm glad you weren't in charge during the American Revolution. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed this earlier today. I used to use cool running pace calculators.

I never browsed their website or went to their homepage. I simply googled it.

https://www.google.com/...ning+pace+calculator

You are right, all the results that used to go to the calculators just take me to a page that says Active took it over, with no pace calculators.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe, I could be way off base, but i think we've met before. about 20 years ago when i was living in Somerville, ma. it could have been at An Ras Mor, or one of the Khoury's pub runs. if coolrunning was functioning, i could go back and actually see when we raced (probably 2002). i'm happy to write them a non-angry sounding email, but i highly doubt they will put the results back up, because i think the real purpose of taking them down was to promote their own new race results service. everything active does is 100% profit driven. this is not a company that would be a good steward of sport and host these results for free if there wasn't something in it for them. good news is i've heard Athlinks.com has a large portion of these results (definitely not all of them though.) As I said before, this is an important part of the history of these sports, and I think people should be angry that effectively it is being deleted.
Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the good folks at letsrun dug this up for you
https://web.archive.org/...ngine/4/4_1/96.shtml
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since when did Active.com ever host results? They're basically the ticketmaster of endurance sport.

You can always opt out of Active Advantage, it being checked automatically is industry standard (I wish it wasn't).

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're not maintaining a database for you to look up race results for free? Those bastards.

Sorry, this is registering pretty low on my outrage meter, I'm going to keep my pitchfork and torch in storage. Let me know if they dump 40 billion gallons of crude oil in the Gulf or something.
Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
honestly it's not the free hosting part i'm mad about, it's the dumping of the data. it's a complete disrespect for all the athletes out there. if Ironman just deleted all of its results from 1979-present, you dont think people would be angry? probably less so because that data exists in other places. coolrunning was THE ONLY source for thousands of race results that aren't hosted anywhere else on the internet. there were tons of results from 1990's, almost before internet, now gone. the fact that they really didn't give any warning, or a chance for other websites to host this stuff is pretty rotten.

just a quick example. SOS triathlon? results for the last 17 years? gone..... i hope the RD has a back up copy
https://www.sostriathlon.com/results
ok, I'm a little dramatic with that example, as it took me about 5 seconds to find all those SOS results on athlinks.com, but the point is there are many races that are defunct, out of business, or the director has literally died of old age, and those results weren't stored anywhere other than coolrunning.com. those are gone for good. And there will be plenty of current races whose "results" web link will now be broken.
Last edited by: jflan: Feb 2, 20 14:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Overstatement Hall of Fame on line 2
Last edited by: elf6c: Feb 2, 20 17:19
Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
They're not maintaining a database for you to look up race results for free? Those bastards.

It is kind of erasing history. The ethical thing to do would have been to either put it behind a paywall (their right as owners), or put the database up for sale a la carte (or give it away) to someone who wants to host it.
Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Thom wrote:

It is kind of erasing history. The ethical thing to do would have been to either put it behind a paywall (their right as owners), or put the database up for sale a la carte (or give it away) to someone who wants to host it.

thank you, that's exactly the point i'm going for. i can't actually believe they would delete the data, rather than just take it offline. even if 10,000 results worth of text or html files can't be that much data, probably would fit on a basic thumb usb drive.
Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Thom wrote:

I've never gone to active.com for any of my race results.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
I've never gone to active.com for any of my race results.

They don't have race results. So that's not terribly surprising!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
JoeO wrote:

I'm glad you weren't in charge during the American Revolution. :)

That's the spirit. Glad to see you keeping things in perspective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Thom wrote:

THIS.

If you don't want to maintain history, fine - don't. AFTER giving some reasonable notice so someone else can take it. If you don't do that, you're vandals.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never used Cool Running, but I was curious and read Active's Q/A notes. If these two statements are true, then the shutdown makes total sense. The old infrastructure was obsolete, and the data were unstructured and unmigreatable.

"Cool Running’s platform was no longer compliant with data laws in the United States and abroad."
"Each Cool Running event upload featured data in different formats."
Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I never used Cool Running, but I was curious and read Active's Q/A notes. If these two statements are true, then the shutdown makes total sense. The old infrastructure was obsolete, and the data were unstructured and unmigreatable.

"Cool Running’s platform was no longer compliant with data laws in the United States and abroad."
"Each Cool Running event upload featured data in different formats."

i'm really not sure how the data laws figure in here, maybe someone with some background can explain that. it is true that the data would be a monster to transfer to a new format. i get that active wants to have an updated results format that is sortable and searchable. but no reason to dump old results because of that. this is a snapshot of what most result pages looked like. basically just some out of date html and text
https://web.archive.org/...y3_MillYa_set1.shtml

and here are the hundreds of lost results from new hampshire alone in 2015 (web archive doesn't actually store the majority of these results, just some)
https://web.archive.org/.../results/15/nh.shtml
Granted new england was the most popular area this site was used, but it had results from 50 states, going back to the 1990's. it's a real shame to lose that.
Last edited by: jflan: Feb 3, 20 4:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jflan wrote:
i'm really not sure how the data laws figure in here...
https://web.archive.org/...y3_MillYa_set1.shtml & https://web.archive.org/.../results/15/nh.shtml
GDPR made life miserable for a lot of companies. The nut is that anyone with a website in EU has to comply with all kinds of personal data and security rules. And, US adds its own twists. Active has owned Cool Running for over a decade, so if they let the platform atrophy with limited investment, then they are stuck.

Those results are just tabular text files, and probably have no meta data. So, in order to convert them, Active would need to look at each report, do data mapping, run the conversion engine, and validate the results. That is a few thousand dollars per event to convert, because every single one needs human eyes and hands to convert. Active is not that big (~$300M company), so spending tens of thousands of dollars to migrate old data is probably a negative business case for them.

Caveat: I have no strong opinion, just attempting to rationalize this from the outside. I do management and business consulting, and it is rare to see companies this small spend many thousands of dollars without a compelling financial upside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone on Reddit is now hosting another version of the pace calculator

https://www.reddit.com/...fg7irp1?context=1000

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jflan wrote:
honestly it's not the free hosting part i'm mad about, it's the dumping of the data. it's a complete disrespect for all the athletes out there ... coolrunning was THE ONLY source for thousands of race results that aren't hosted anywhere else on the internet. there were tons of results from 1990's, almost before internet, now gone. the fact that they really didn't give any warning, or a chance for other websites to host this stuff is pretty rotten.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My own personal disappointment about all this is that between July, 2002 and September 2007, a handful of CoolRunners, as well as myself, curated a series of MASSIVE Beer Threads. Revived annually, the 2006 edition reached 127 pages, or more than 3,000 posts

All that knowledge is gone now

Quote Reply
Re: Active: the worst company in the world has now gone too far [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 this race series uses popsicle stick timing and they are upset too. the issue is that very few race directors (across the endurance sport world) backed up their results, they just figured it's all good because it's on coolrunning.com . the ripple effect will be significant.

http://cmsrun.org/...k-5k-series-results/

i realize in the grand scheme of life this isn't a big deal, but when i'm 80 and lost my wits, i'd like to look back at these results and be reminded of good times, friends, rivalries, near wins, bonks etc.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In other news, I just received an email from ACTIVE Offers for 20% off Manscaped Lawn Mower 3.0 Trimmer

Quote Reply

Prev Next