Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Weird health advice people have given you.
Quote | Reply
Just curious what out there advice people have been given.

I had an extremely overweight exec at work tell me if I kept putting milk in my coffee I was going to get fat. I’ve been doing it for decades and hasn’t happened yet.

So what random things have people told you Health or diet wise.
Quote Reply
Re: Weird health advice people have given you. [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Years ago when I first moved to Hong Kong, a colleague (from HK) told my roommate she was fat because she drank milk. (she’s not fat, maybe a size 6, colleague a size 0) We laughed.
Last edited by: travelgirl: Jan 26, 20 7:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
Just curious what out there advice people have been given.

I had an extremely overweight exec at work tell me if I kept putting milk in my coffee I was going to get fat. I’ve been doing it for decades and hasn’t happened yet.

So what random things have people told you Health or diet wise.

About 20 years ago, I got hired by a major pharma company and had to undergo a medical examination including vision, pee test etc.

At the time I was 175lbs (at 6'1) and the short, fat company doctor - with cigarette breath - told me I really needed to pay attention to my weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A former coworker was convinced that the best way to get rid of a cold or a flu was to put a raw onion beside your bed.

Despite showing her actual studies that show it ineffective she continued to swear by it.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Weird health advice people have given you. [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when her kids got sick a friend used to make them drink onion syrup (onions boiled to bits, strained and flavoured with honey). It could help but rough going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my students from Indonesia told me I could cure my diabetes by walking around barefoot in a blacktop parking lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just had a patient tell me yesterday, she read an article that said the brain is so powerful that just thinking about exercise can have the same healthy benefits to the body as actually exercising.

I changed convo topic quickly.
Quote Reply
Re: Weird health advice people have given you. [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) "Running is bad for you.
My wife's uncle's son was a runner and now he can't even walk. I tried running and I nearly died."

2) You are only fat and out of shape if you do not lift weights.
If you lift weights you are healthy- doesn't matter how often you lift, how much you weigh, or whether you can climb a flight of stairs or not.

3) Eating healthy is NOT about getting enough nutrients (but not too much).
No!!!
Eating healthy IS about: avoiding carbs and eating lots of fat, avoiding fat and eating lots of carbs, eating only Jenny Craig TV dinners, never eating fish, eating tons of fish, only rating raw food, eating lots of meat, never eating meat etc., etc.

4) Exercising more than 5 hours/week is bad for you. (There probably is a point of diminishing returns, but that's not the same as being bad for you).

5) Marijuana is a performance enhancing drug.

6) Mild alcohol use is good for you.
(As if mild alcohol use, never leads to heavy alcohol use).

7) Moderate caffeine use is good for you.
(OK - maybe it's not all that bad for you. But still)

8) If you follow my training program and give me lots of money- you will qualify for Kona on less than 10 hrs/wk of training, look like a body builder and impress all of your friends (athletes and non-athletes alike).
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Jan 25, 20 15:13
Quote Reply
Re: Weird health advice people have given you. [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dictionary:
"It's not healthy" = I don't want to
"It's not healthy" = The people on TV and/or Jesus don't approve
"It's not healthy" = Somebody should be making more money off of you.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Jan 25, 20 15:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oil of oregano for colds. Come on, people.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Weird health advice people have given you. [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
Just had a patient tell me yesterday, she read an article that said the brain is so powerful that just thinking about exercise can have the same healthy benefits to the body as actually exercising.

I have heard that things like focused visualization can help athletic performance in some areas, but, that doesn't equate to "thinking about running 10k is the same as running 10k!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hah I just laughed at all of that.

My blog this week was on other health benefits of running. Its insane the shit thats thrown around.
Quote Reply
Re: Weird health advice people have given you. [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

I have heard that things like focused visualization can help athletic performance in some areas, but, that doesn't equate to "thinking about running 10k is the same as running 10k!

Eeexactly! I mean if that were the case then my training plan last year should have been spot on
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I had an extremely overweight exec at work tell me if I kept putting milk in my coffee I was going to get fat.

I'd ask "huh. Do you know why?" Explanation could be interesting.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Weird health advice people have given you. [nosmo king] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
One of my students from Indonesia told me I could cure my diabetes by walking around barefoot in a blacktop parking lot.

Well, if you walk enough...

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guy at work insisted I could treat type 1 diabetes with homeopathic methods
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t ever walk with your wife/girlfriend on your right side - it’s an indication they are for sale.

Hispanic Catholics have some strange superstitions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way back when I was a young wide-eyed 2nd year HS teacher, I was also earnestly beginning to train for triathlon. I was adding volume and intensity and eating evermore contentiously, and consequently moving up on the results page. Doing what we've all done, and seen positive results.
So... Everyday I ate lunch in the smoke-filled teachers lounge with the same staff members, and everyday I would receive the same comments from the same (apology in advance).... tub of shit - muffin belly - cigarette smoking - fat fuck Wood Shop teacher. He'd say "Look at this guy. Look at what he eats. All this healthy food. Thinks he's gonna live longer." I always responded with a smile and a shrug. Everyday, except one. ;)

It had been a particularly tough Special Ed. morning and he had decided to continue his streak with an audience of about 12 other teachers... And I had heard enough.

"Look at this guy. Here he is, just look - food, exercise." I swallowed a bite, looked up, and loudly enough to be heard throughout the room said... "John, when was the last time that you saw your dick?"

I taught there for 3 more years... Crickets.
Quote Reply
Re: Weird health advice people have given you. [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am Type I, so, no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:

6) Mild alcohol use is good for you.
(As if mild alcohol use, never leads to heavy alcohol use).

There are some health benefits to drinking a glass of red wine a day. Is that “mild alcohol use”?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Weird health advice people have given you. [nosmo king] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I am Type I, so, no.

Yup. My mistake

Quote Reply
Re: Weird health advice people have given you. [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
Don’t ever walk with your wife/girlfriend on your right side - it’s an indication they are for sale.

That's false. You're supposed to walk with them on the right side so if a puddle is splashed from the street you block it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A Holistic practicioner told me to put a clove of garlic up my nose to cure sinusitis. It didn't work.
Quote Reply
Re: Weird health advice people have given you. [lkkowski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An ancient Polish triathlon coach told me several years ago that my problem on race day was that I needed to expand my stomach so I could eat more the night before the race and not have to eat breakfast the day of the race. He tells me that my stomach was too small (?). He proceeded to advise me to practice eating ginormous meals to force my stomach to expand. I asked him if I was training for a triathlon or a competitive eating competition. I fired him as my coach shortly thereafter.....
Quote Reply
Re: Weird health advice people have given you. [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
JD21 wrote:

That's false. You're supposed to walk with them on the right side so if a puddle is splashed from the street you block it

You’re also in better position to protect them in a drive by shooting or attempted kidnapping.

As for weird advise, my mom once tried to tell me that beer isn’t a food group. Psycho.
Last edited by: chriskal: Jan 25, 20 20:00
Quote Reply

Prev Next