Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Witcher on Netflix [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As the others have said, it does come together at the end of the season.
Quote Reply
Re: The Witcher on Netflix [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Currently on episode 5, its good so far my only complaint is the timing is very confusing. Half the story takes place in the past and the other half is the present. Hard to follow.

how difficult would it be to put "30 years ago" as the lead in to the episode? tv shows trying to be too smart imo. i don't want to have to think that hard when I'm watching a show that involves the seemingly unlimited powers of magic. lack of continuity and consistency will turn off the casual viewer.

Books were written (in Polish) quite some time ago. Film adaptation is being fairly faithful to the books. You start a new chapter in books and it’s a adventure to figure out where you are geographically and time wise.

If that’s to hard for you that’s ok. Just bad mouth the show and bow on out.

That horse you’re riding these days sure is pretty high isn’t it? Forgive me for giving my opinion on a show that it seems to be near and dear to your heart
Quote Reply
Re: The Witcher on Netflix [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t be talking about Roach like that

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:

i knew i hit a sore spot when the patronizing comments, which had already been stated in self-deprecation anyway, were made towards someone giving their mildly critical opinion of a tv show. based on fantasy fiction. and a video game. You're the goddamn Witcher. it all makes sense now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven’t been able to watch past 15min and I really like sci-fi and fantasy.
Quote Reply
Re: The Witcher on Netflix [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Steve Hawley wrote:

i knew i hit a sore spot when the patronizing comments, which had already been stated in self-deprecation anyway, were made towards someone giving their mildly critical opinion of a tv show. based on fantasy fiction. and a video game. You're the goddamn Witcher. it all makes sense now.

It's all good brother. Critiquing film adaptations of books is a time honored tradition. I've been 'all in' on discussions online throughout the whole Peter Jackson adaptation of the LotR (not even going to mention that later adaptation); also on film adaptation of the Expanse books (bless Bezos for picking the franchise up and carrying it forward)

On Netflix's adaptation of The Witcher, I've no problem with the skipping of time and geography as I've already worked thru that personally while reading the five main books of the Geralt/Ciri/Yenn story line. I can easily understand how a casual viewer would be confused.

In terms of "cannon" in the world Sapkowski created my only (small) bitch is the lack of silver swords for fighting monsters versus good dwarven steel for use against men.

There's a cottage industry of 'outrage' on some forums about some elves being black. Personally I was somewhat taken aback at first, but upon reflection--who is to say there can't be black elves? It's a fictitious creation to begin with so.....?

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finished the show and I enjoyed it, I also read all the books so I didn’t have the confusion about the time differences. I think they did a good job setting up the show for future seasons, you know the 3 main characters and their back story. Yes it would’ve been nice to give dates or something for the different time lines. My 2 things I didn’t like was one like Steve, the 2 swords, seems like an easy thing to do and adds to how the Witchers are different. The second was, why didn’t they call the bard character Dandelion like the book? Is Dandelion not PC, so you need to call him Jaskeir.
Quote Reply
Re: The Witcher on Netflix [plifter242] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you on the naming thing. Don't know why film show builders do the things they do some times? Michio Pa was just fine in my mind on The Expanse. Somehow she got turned into Carmina Drummer? Whatever.

Why change Dandelion's name from canon? Only thing I can think of is what film makers of "Deadwood" wrestled with. Apparently, there was a LOT of cussing back then in them there woods. But to us, these modern days, the cussing back then would just sound silly and stupid to us in our modern times. So the film makers 'updated' the 'cussing' to modern terminology.

So perhaps? this is why Dandelion has been changed?

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So in the 1800’s they didn’t say “cocksucker,” ever third word? One of my favorite shows ever Deadwood.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoopleheads gonna fuck up

Still on team Yenn. Triss is a girl you'd spend a fun weekend with.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drow (dark elves) are pretty standard fantasy fare. But of course drow elves are not what is depicted in the Witcher. My beef with the elves that I saw on Witcher is that they look, talk, dress exactly like humans. The only differentiator is pointy ears.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't touch Roach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
plifter242 wrote:
The second was, why didn’t they call the bard character Dandelion like the book? Is Dandelion not PC, so you need to call him Jaskeir.

I guess in the Polish, it's Jaskeir.
Quote Reply
Re: The Witcher on Netflix [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
plifter242 wrote:
The second was, why didn’t they call the bard character Dandelion like the book? Is Dandelion not PC, so you need to call him Jaskeir.

Thanks for the answer :-)
Quote Reply
Re: The Witcher on Netflix [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Currently on episode 5, its good so far my only complaint is the timing is very confusing. Half the story takes place in the past and the other half is the present. Hard to follow.

A third. There are three timelines.

Yen is old. In book canon, she is 90 when Niflguard invades Cintra.
She's in her 40s when she meets Gerald in the show (in the books, it's never mentioned)

Geralt's age is never said in the books or games. He's assumed to be around 65. In interviews, the director of the games said around 100, the author said over-50.

In the books, Ciri is 10. Freya Allan is 18! They made her look about 14 IMHO.

Dandelion is 34-book years old as of the sacking of Cintra/Battle of Sodden Hill. He's got to be older in the show, but I guess he could have been mid 20s before Ciri was born.

If I had to guess, Yen's story took 75-80 years. Geralt's story took the last 20-ish years. (spoiler) and Ciri's story takes place entirely in the last episode (/spoiler)
Quote Reply
Re: The Witcher on Netflix [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
plifter242 wrote:

Jaskier literally translates to Buttercup flower. The author wanted a 'flowery' name for the bard but because buttercup has an excessively woosy connotation, the translator chose to go with Dandelion.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well you do see him carry two swords once in awhile and I think you see them strapped to his horse.
Quote Reply
Re: The Witcher on Netflix [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes you definitely do see him with the 2 swords, but ever fight scene he uses the silver, the only time he doesn’t is when using someone else weapon. It’s a small nitpicking thing I know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So are we talking early seasons of GOT / Spartacus or is it more normal R-rated levels of sex & violence?
I know it is a personal choice what people let their kids watch so maybe I just need to watch an episode or 2 while on the trainer.

My son (13) is also asking to watch this.
Quote Reply
Re: The Witcher on Netflix [HoustonTri(er)] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WAY less than Spartacus.

Think more 80s action movies. Lots of violence, occasional topless woman (almost always Yen)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
Solid depiction from books thus far. Only gripe (small gripe) is one sword vice two (steel and silver). Even tracks w W3 game in many respects.

Team Yenn!

In the game he wears two swords, but I read in the books he only wears one sword and keeps the silver sword with Roach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just finished watching it and I really enjoyed it overall. Henry Cavill was great as Geralt. Looking forward to season 2. In the mean time I think I’ll see if the books are at the local library and start to read them.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: The Witcher on Netflix [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I envy your coming journey. There are five main books that comprise the arc of Geral/Ciri/Yenn storyline.

Written some time ago. In Polish, so translation is occasionally awkward. The story line can be somewhat problematic. As you start each chapter it's a adventure to figure out where you are in terms of time and geography. It's just the way Sapkowski wrote the books. Film adaptation has been fairly faithful to canon so you'll be somewhat ahead of the game. When i first read thru the novels it took me a while to figure out what was going on. I"m not the sharpest knife in the drawer but i do eventually get there.

It's really good SiFy Fantasy fiction.

enjoy.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just finished watching. Thought it was good . The last episode was awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finished the first season recently, and have to say, I was not overly impressed but also not overly disappointed. I'll caveat this by admitting that I haven't read the books, and likely won't (fantasy isn't my genre).

I had no problem with the shifting timelines. I thought it was actually well executed and led to some "Oh, so that's what's happening" moments as the series moved along. That aspect might have been difficult to figure out if I watched them one episode at a time over several weeks, instead of mostly back to back.

The acting is mediocre. Cavill does what Cavill always does. He moves like a body builder, gives a little smirk, and doesn't say much. Might be appropriate for the character, but it doesn't take much acting ability.

Lots of critics were talking about this being a competitor with Game of Thrones, but I would say it's not in that league in terms of performance, writing, intrigue, production value, etc. That's not to say it's bad. It doesn't take itself quite as seriously as GoT. There's a little more PG-13 humor added in to soften it up.

Overall, maybe it could be considered like a PG-13 fantasy series compared to GoT as an R-rated series.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply

Prev Next