Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who's Aging Up? [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm aging up to the worst position I have ever been in competitively, I will be 64 and the oldest in that AG. You start to have a severe fall off each year or so after 60, so the difference between you all just popping in from 59 to those of us yearning for our 65th birthday, is more than any other AG below. Of course it just gets worse as you go up, to the point where one year is like a whole age group in your 20's or 30's.

But I will battle anyway, but funny when you look at things like postal swims or other old folks events, most the people in the top half just aged up, or maybe a year ago. When you get to the back, folks just seem to sit out those last few years, then get all pumped again when they are the young gun once again in the new AG...
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [Sasquatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was on a cruise (first and last on that line) once and met a guy who had won the hairy chest contest on seven cruises.
If I were a woman, that alone would be enough to turn me gay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
I got into Triathlon, consistently, in the 35-39 AG. I always thought aging up would get easier competition until I realized the 40-44 were animals. Now I'm going into the 45-49 and it's become the biggest AG and times just as fast as 40-44 and in some cases, faster. Damnit man. Who's excited to move up?

Welcome to the Terrordome!

I’ve had a number of races in which I’ve been several spots off the podium in 45-49 but beat everyone in their 30s.

Whether it’s mid-life crises driving harder training, kids out of the house (or at least doing their own thing), the best equipment, more years of training, all of the above... it just doesn’t get easier in these age groups and won’t in 50-54 either.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another one moving into the 60 to 64 age group next month and looking forward to it. Just need to stay healthy so I can have the year that I’m hoping to. Will be my 36th year in the sport.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just raced for the last time in M35-39 last weekend in Daytona. I was 4th and my time in would have been a 6th place in 40-44. Not sure if overall 40-44 is faster, I doubt it... but the fast 40-44 guys are still pretty fast. Those that stick it out for 10 years or more in the sport eventually learn how to train effectively, recover and race smart. In long course that's all that matters and you can still go fast by fine tuning stuff even if the speed will plateau eventually.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
75-79 age group for me...how hard can it be? LOL
Actually I’m pretty excited!

---------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moving on up to the 65-69 age group in January.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hblake wrote:

In a few weeks I will be moving from the 55-59 to the 60-65 group. Am I excited? No, I feel much different about turning 60 than I did for 40 or 50. 60 seems kind of old.

Agreed on all points. Plus, a lot of the time (especially with bike racing), 60 just gets you lumped in with the 45+ or 50+ group anyway. There's no point to aging up if they take away the category after registration and before the start.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I'm planning to live over 80 and win age group every single time just by register, show up and finish.

If it's like a lot of bike races, they'll just look at the numbers and decide there aren't enough in your 80-84 age bracket. Your age group will be cancelled at the start line and you'll get lumped in with the 45 year olds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
I got into Triathlon, consistently, in the 35-39 AG. I always thought aging up would get easier competition until I realized the 40-44 were animals. Now I'm going into the 45-49 and it's become the biggest AG and times just as fast as 40-44 and in some cases, faster. Damnit man. Who's excited to move up?
I'm hearing you... Here in Melbourne Australia there are two dudes Damien Angus and Sam Hume who are both freaks and have always fastest in my age group. This year my last year in 40-44 I got second at Geelong 70.3 to Sam Hume by 17min I might add and was stoked assuming Damien wasn't racing. Alas he has already aged up 45-49and was faster than Sam (fastest age grouper)...
https://www.multisportaustralia.com.au/races/15334/events/1/
I think the depth of good athletes drops a way a little but there are always the freaks of the sport that refuse to die...
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m turning 50 fucking years old. And that toddler runs around like a mad man. I’m fucked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm planning to be wealthy enough to actually enter an official triathlon by 2035-2040. I'll be somewhere around the 70-75 AG...

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m turning 50 fucking years old. And that toddler runs around like a mad man. I’m fucked.

Whiner, you are 3 age groups under me, and I got 3 of those little monsters. By the time you hit my age now, your kid will be going to college!! How I wish I was just turning 50 again.. (-;
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other one is 20 (my wife’s). Neither gives a shit what we say :)
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [leewalther] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, you tell him Lee! ;) I'm impressed with anyone racing past 60. Aging up to 60-64 but injured out.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fucking show off!! ;-) and you're right, you win!

2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Oh come on man, they're intervals. hope you're well francois.

Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another one going to the 60-64 group. In fact I aged up today!

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never been better. I am way slower than I’ve ever been. And happier too. Largely thanks to my wonderful family, becoming the father of an awesome little dude etc 🤷🏼‍♂️
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am entering the 30-34 and hopeful that I can climb the ranks as those who’ve started to root their lives take a break from triathlon. I’ll still be here trying to figure it all out, career, avoiding commitment etc. On the plus side I’ve been getting faster and nearing some old high school times.

It seems the majority is vastly older than me. Please tell me this wild ride gets better...

swim.bike.run.soccer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you mean becoming an iron monk and living sleeping breathing the whole affair isn't a healthy way
to go through life? haha. ill never forget meeting you even briefly at panama city. good to hear you're
doing well, and to keep it on topic.... go kick some butt next year :)

Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [Twilkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a century ago!

My last race was IMFL ‘17. Days later, we realize our lives were about to change. And they did!
I’ll race again this coming year as we just moved back to Gainesville. Go gators!
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another one going to the 60-64 group. In fact I aged up today! //

Happy birthday Dean!! It's a milestone of some sort, but at least the times you have to beat do get slower...
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
I get 59 next year. I'll show those 55-year-old brats that I'm still there!

ditto...59 and ready to take them all on in M55-59.

But the answers to the question are:

...20% of all triathletes

...and-not me.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's Aging Up? [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I moved into 55-59 last season. It's the 8th age group I've raced in without missing a season. It's a scary way to look at it.
Last edited by: satanellus: Dec 19, 19 19:22
Quote Reply

Prev Next