Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How much does lowering stem move handlebars back?
Quote | Reply
Talking about a road bike here. I'm trialling some things with my road fit and I'm wondering if theres some simple equation that says if you lower your handlebar by 5mm, it will bring the bars back by Xmm.

Trying to figure out if lowering will bring it in enough or if I need to shorten that distance with a stem.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: How much does lowering stem move handlebars back? [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The equation would be a geometry one. You could probably work all that out (Sin, Cos etc) if you sketched it out but there are online calulators to do it for you:

http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

eta you probably meant the spacers part of it so maybe this:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ulator/stem_calc.php
Last edited by: OddSlug: Dec 11, 19 17:40
Quote Reply
Re: How much does lowering stem move handlebars back? [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
10mm down on the steerer = ~3mm forward

Online calcs as linked above are good for comparing spacer height, but not if you change the stem angle as the commonly used formula has a fundamental error.
Quote Reply
Re: How much does lowering stem move handlebars back? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:

Online calcs as linked above are good for comparing spacer height, but not if you change the stem angle as the commonly used formula has a fundamental error.

^^^This.

You are moving the stem along the angle of the headtube (around 73deg for a road bike).

Cos(73deg) = 0.292, so for every 10mm spacer you remove the stem will move ~3mm forward (it will also move down about 9.5mm, since Sin(73deg) = 0.956 ).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: How much does lowering stem move handlebars back? [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Won’t your site give me the info he needs???

https://www.velogicfit.com/frame-comparison
Quote Reply
Re: How much does lowering stem move handlebars back? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Won’t your site give me the info he needs???

https://www.velogicfit.com/frame-comparison

Yes, but I didn't want to go from saying that all the basic online calculators and formulae are wrong to then say that my site doesn't have that problem and is better than everyone else. Obviously I've tried hard to make it so, but I try to maintain a modicum of modesty ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this might help: http://fft.tips/stem but if it doesn't at least we tried ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
Talking about a road bike here. I'm trialling some things with my road fit and I'm wondering if theres some simple equation that says if you lower your handlebar by 5mm, it will bring the bars back by Xmm.

Trying to figure out if lowering will bring it in enough or if I need to shorten that distance with a stem.

Thanks!

Sounds like you should really leave the bike fit to a professional.

Moving the bars up and down does slightly affect the for and aft of the bars, but if you want to change the reach then change the stem length. and leave the stack height adjustment to your stem spacers of the stem angle.

Most people can only make minimal if any adjustments to the stack height using spacers. Be very wary of not having enough steerer tube in your stem and stem clamp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:

Thanks for the insight! I've been trying to get further back on my Pro Stealth saddle and with a 0SB post and the saddle slammed forward, I had to lower the seat and was able to find a pretty good position. Need more time on it but the saddle felt more comfortable and my hips and knees felt good. But my reach and bar height felt really thrown off.
Quote Reply
Re: How much does lowering stem move handlebars back? [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
teichs42 wrote:

Thanks!

Sounds like you should really leave the bike fit to a professional.

Moving the bars up and down does slightly affect the for and aft of the bars, but if you want to change the reach then change the stem length. and leave the stack height adjustment to your stem spacers of the stem angle.

Most people can only make minimal if any adjustments to the stack height using spacers. Be very wary of not having enough steerer tube in your stem and stem clamp.

I've actually got a lot of room when it comes to spacers. Right now on my CAAD10 I've got a 25mm dust cap and then I think 20mm of spacers under and 10mm over the stem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude your app is awesome. I built one that's more fit focused, if anyone wants to try it out. It can draw you, on your bike and figure out your angles for you. It's bikefitr.net if anyone is interested.

See your bike fit. https://bikefitr.appspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unless I’m reading this incorrectly - lowering your stem will move the handle bar away from you.
Do you have a flippable stem?
Quote Reply
Re: How much does lowering stem move handlebars back? [ksb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ksb wrote:
Unless I’m reading this incorrectly - lowering your stem will move the handle bar away from you.
Do you have a flippable stem?

Yes, I’m stupid. I do have a flippable stem but I can’t stand the look of an upturned stem. I’m going to try a 2cm shorter stem with the same stack height and adjust from there.
Quote Reply