Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
And if a 5k counted.

This. Minimum should be 30 minutes OR 3 miles. Alright, see you next year to comment this again.

Easy solution - be slow like me!! Then you can have 3 miles AND 30min
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
01 December start date is stupid because I'm injured. I did a trail run to prepare for a 5k about 5 weeks ago while my foot was injured and made it hurt more because I'm stupid. I ran the 5k on my injured foot because I was hoping to break a PR, but, despite walking a part of it and hobbling other parts of it, I missed my PR only by a minute and that is stupid. I have not run for a month to recover, doing yoga in place of the runs. The yoga, so far, is not stupid. I've been riding regularly because it doesn't seem to hurt my foot, so also not stupid. But I'm signing up for 100/100. Probably stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sigh. Well crap. I'm in.

Enrolled.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been trying to run more lately to make this 100 days in a healthy state. I'm still not injured which is a miracle. I usually run myself into the ground, but seem to have a healthy form and shoes that don't tear me apart.

I might back of cycling a little and focus on running. This will be my first real running base! I've never focused on run training so much.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mentioned this in Fishbum's "run focus" thread...but, as long as you ride every week or two, you won't lose much cycling fitness. And....it will come back with a vengence once you return to a normal program.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I said up-thread: 70/100 gets you a Bronze Medal, and that's basically 5 days out of 7, so: 2 on-1 off-3 on-another off = pretty manageable

YMMV - literally

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK2ME wrote:

I'd like to give this a go, and I'm a run/walker at the best of times. Never mind when I've been a lazy bum and sat on my ass following my last wicked undertrained half mary of the season about two months ago.

If this is all about regaining consistency, I'm counting those walking minutes - I'll still have done a third as many miles as the rest of you by the time we're through. I'll just log on my own so as not to skew all you alpha triathletes' numbers.

I'm not supposed to run (knee replacement), but walking with some "slow jogging" interspersed should work. Just saw the surgeon today and he said come back in 3 years. Regaining consistency is what I need so this is a good goal.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
UK2ME wrote:

I'd like to give this a go, and I'm a run/walker at the best of times. Never mind when I've been a lazy bum and sat on my ass following my last wicked undertrained half mary of the season about two months ago.

If this is all about regaining consistency, I'm counting those walking minutes - I'll still have done a third as many miles as the rest of you by the time we're through. I'll just log on my own so as not to skew all you alpha triathletes' numbers.

I'm not supposed to run (knee replacement), but walking with some "slow jogging" interspersed should work. Just saw the surgeon today and he said come back in 3 years. Regaining consistency is what I need so this is a good goal.

Everyone knows what a legitimate run effort is for them, whatever that may look like to someone else. I guarantee there will be some walking mileage in my logged runs as a lot of my longer workouts happen on trails that look like this (photo from a group run this past Saturday - we managed a staggering 13.5km/8.4mi in 2 hours):

If you're out there putting in honest work for 30+mins, you log that as a run. If you know you half-arsed it, maybe try to make up for that the next day (per the rules) and log that instead. If you need to work your way up to 30+mins of honest effort, take that time and care for your body, and aim to get some number of eligible efforts that is tailored to your needs by the end of the challenge. If that's making it up to one single 30min run by March 9th, then go for it! I'll be over here rooting for you!

Quote | Reply
I've a serious grievance: I'm going to run for at least 30 minutes per day over the course of 100 days. My reward for doing so will be something stupid like 350 miles covered.

The hyper-competitive, hyper-fast jerks among us will cover over 550 miles while running the exact same amount of time as me.

Be honest: That's not fair.

<Longtime forum lurker, new to the challenge. Looking forward to using the 100 / 100 as a launch pad for IM training>
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [SJK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SJK wrote:
I've a serious grievance: I'm going to run for at least 30 minutes per day over the course of 100 days. My reward for doing so will be something stupid like 350 miles covered.

The hyper-competitive, hyper-fast jerks among us will cover over 550 miles while running the exact same amount of time as me.

Be honest: That's not fair.

Just remember: "It's not a race"

Maybe?

Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
JASpencer wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
And if a 5k counted.

This. Minimum should be 30 minutes OR 3 miles. Alright, see you next year to comment this again.

I just tested out a version of the leaderboard that selects runs that are either 30 minutes in length OR 3 miles in length. It worked, and gave the lot of you between 1 and 5 extra runs on the leaderboard last year. What say ye, assembled masses, should we consider using this measurement?

Thanks,

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for doing the work. I like the change because then a) a 5k race counts and b) you can run a known route and not being in the odd position of running too fast and having to notice that and run around a bit to make it up. So I'd vote to add it.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
Thanks for doing the work. I like the change because then a) a 5k race counts and b) you can run a known route and not being in the odd position of running too fast and having to notice that and run around a bit to make it up. So I'd vote to add it.

No problem. I just bash on it behind the scenes. This would represent a fairly big update to the way the contest is structured, so I'd want to get some heavy hitters to buy in on it -- slowman, dev, and others -- but it would be a trivial change to make.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright, I've been a part of this forum community for the best part of the last 20 years or so, including the last 10 challenge years, and I've finally decided that I'd be a part of it this time around for the first time. Former runner who now can hardly run faster than 6min/ks at aerobic pace. Looking to go sub-40 min for a 10km at the end of the challenge. Just kidding, just hope I end up slightly less far from my former self when it's all said and done :-)
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meh. To me, it's wrong headed. The point is time, not distance.

A 3mile training run is 20-35 minutes (fast to slow). So we're talking about a few minutes if the training pace is faster than 10mpm. Run an extra 1/2 - 1 mile.

If you do a fast 5k, do a warmup and cooldown...as you should anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Tom, making the minimum distance-based seems like it might lead to a lot of people racing to get 3-milers in, which is not the point of the challenge. It also puts faster runners at even more of an advantage than they already have. Do we really want to see someone do 3x3 mile in 20’ each with two blocks of hour-long rest or other training, and counting that as 3 runs in the span of 3 hours?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
OddSlug wrote:

No problem. I just bash on it behind the scenes. This would represent a fairly big update to the way the contest is structured, so I'd want to get some heavy hitters to buy in on it -- slowman, dev, and others -- but it would be a trivial change to make.

-Eric

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:
JASpencer wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
And if a 5k counted.

I just tested out a version of the leaderboard that selects runs that are either 30 minutes in length OR 3 miles in length. It worked, and gave the lot of you between 1 and 5 extra runs on the leaderboard last year. What say ye, assembled masses, should we consider using this measurement?

Thanks,

-Eric

Fine by me

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
Alright, I've been a part of this forum community for the best part of the last 20 years or so, including the last 10 challenge years, and I've finally decided that I'd be a part of it this time around for the first time. Former runner who now can hardly run faster than 6min/ks at aerobic pace. Looking to go sub-40 min for a 10km at the end of the challenge. Just kidding, just hope I end up slightly less far from my former self when it's all said and done :-)

THAT's what i like to hear!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Meh. To me, it's wrong headed. The point is time, not distance.

A 3mile training run is 20-35 minutes (fast to slow). So we're talking about a few minutes if the training pace is faster than 10mpm. Run an extra 1/2 - 1 mile.

If you do a fast 5k, do a warmup and cooldown...as you should anyway.

They are triathletes, they don't know about run warm up or cool down. No wonder these guys get injured
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:

If you're out there putting in honest work for 30+mins, you log that as a run. If you know you half-arsed it, maybe try to make up for that the next day (per the rules) and log that instead. If you need to work your way up to 30+mins of honest effort, take that time and care for your body, and aim to get some number of eligible efforts that is tailored to your needs by the end of the challenge. If that's making it up to one single 30min run by March 9th, then go for it! I'll be over here rooting for you!

Thanks!!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
EricTheBiking wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:
JASpencer wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
And if a 5k counted.

Thanks,

-Eric

Fine by me

Blue stack was probably already a lock for 300 runs. But with the rule change that caters to ths silly idea I'd Bank on him going 400 plus.
Last edited by: Fishbum: Nov 26, 19 13:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I may have missed this, but is there any way of seeing what we've achieved in past 100/100 challenges?
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:
ironclm wrote:
UK2ME wrote:
(...) If this is all about regaining consistency, I'm counting those walking minutes - I'll still have done a third as many miles as the rest of you by the time we're through.

I'm not supposed to run (...), but walking with some "slow jogging" interspersed should work. (...) Regaining consistency is what I need so this is a good goal.

Everyone knows what a legitimate run effort is for them, whatever that may look like to someone else. I guarantee there will be some walking mileage in my logged runs (...)

Inspired by these thoughts I try and take part in the 100/100-challenge with the goal to return to running. Even if everything works out fine I might not be able to log in a single 30min continous run by the time this challenge ends ...

I ran an ultra-marathon in 2016 and had both achilles-tendons and/or the surrounding tissue inflamed and swollen afterwards. Went to see MDs and PTs, but my right tendon never really recovered and to this day I can´t run and have an insertional issue at the right heel. When looking for other treatment approaches and options I found ST, because Google directed me to a couple of threads where @mortysct had left some wisdom.

I have made several attempts to return to running, the last one in April this year, using the very careful approach of walk-runs that @Tom_hampton has described. Although I increased the running-volume even more timidly than he did, the tendon didn´t tolerate half an hour of three minutes of running and two minutes of walking; it flared up. Pain, limping etc. My last "run" was July 25th and I eventually was lucky (and happy) to recover in time to be able to hike in the alps with my family in August.

I´m back to strengthening and stretching, inspired by @mortysct, Silbernagel et al. And I am reducing weight. In the last weeks I have started a routine of 30 to 40 minutes of (speed)walking and (seconds of) running, that I indend to do daily starting December 1st. Hope this challenge helps me being careful, controlled and consistent. And to become a runner again.
Last edited by: Heidelfix: Nov 27, 19 7:29
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Heidelfix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap this starts Sunday.
Quote Reply

Prev Next