Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The pardons that shouldn't [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
And that the evidence against him is rather thin?

I don't quite understand why people keep saying this. There are three direct eyewitness.

"“I saw him stab the prisoner in the side of the neck.” (Miller).

That's prosecutorial gold. Direct eyewitness account is really strong direct evidence. Yet I read some news stories that say things like, "No evidence beyond eyewitness accounts." Which is weird to me. It's not "thin." And then there's a text that Gallagher sent with photo of him holding the body with knife wounds in the neck with the accompanying text, "Got him with my hunting knife." And beforehand *other* witnesses claiming Gallagher got all excited when he heard the victim was in custody and said, "Lay off, he's mine." Take all that and tell me some story were Gallagher isn't the one who caused the knife wounds in the neck. I have a hard time thinking of one.

It'd be super nice to have like Gallagher's knife with the victim's blood on it. It'd also be nice to have a body. But plenty of people have been put away without the murder weapon or body as evidence. Direct eyewitness accounts are strong.

One of the 3 eyewitnesses suddenly changing his story certainly doesn't help....but I he *still* says Gallagher stabbed the victim in the neck. So that has to be attempted murder at the least. Unless you can convince me in some way that a SEAL stabbing someone in the neck with a hunting knife is just "assault" and not an attempt to kill.

And somehow given all the stories about Gallagher's extreme competence at killing people, I tend to think if he stabs a defenseless person in the neck, he's probably not going to screw it up.

Meanwhile the defense's case seems to be, "All these other SEALs turned on him. Because they're jealous that Gallagher is tough." Uh-huh.
Last edited by: trail: Jun 22, 19 20:45
Quote Reply
Re: The pardons that shouldn't [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Not to take away from the discussion about Trump being a huge POS for even considering pardoning these criminals, but the Navy and the DoD needs to take a hard look at the SEAL community.

It has always been composed of far too many cowboys that think they are above the law. Over the past several years there have been multiple reports of rampant breaches of discipline, substance abuse, sexual assaults, etc that are out of proportion with their size. Our country did a significant ramp up of the number of SEAL teams in the last 18 years and all of the worst characteristics and stereotypes of SEALs seem to only have been magnified.

This admission (which given how it came about, I am going to be doubtful of its truthfulness) by SWO 1st Class Corey Scott that he- with an immunity deal- not Chief Gallagher killed an captive is a prime example of how the SEALs have a fundamental problem.

Quote:

Prosecutors were visibly upset by the turn of events.
"They pointed out that [Scott] had spoken to prosecutors several times; they'd asked him to go step by step in this, and that he had never mentioned closing off the airway and he'd never said that in any of his testimony to naval investigators either," Walsh said.
The prosecution accused Scott of being untruthful and said he fabricated the new version of events because he is a friend of Gallagher's. When asked about his opinion of his former superior, Scott responded saying he likes him "and that he didn't want him to go away for the rest of his life," Walsh reported.

I'll not argue your critic of the SEAL community. I would hope to calm your concern that the Navy leadership is not acting robustly enough or is not aware of the misdeeds of it's members. The SEAL community has been on continual war footing for going on 18 years. One price of this ceaseless war is evidenced in this trial. I'd only ask for some empathy for the community that so much is asked of. Erosion of moral vs good order and discipline is a struggle equal to defeating the enemy.
Quote Reply
Re: The pardons that shouldn't [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
spot wrote:
And that the evidence against him is rather thin?

I don't quite understand why people keep saying this. There are three direct eyewitness.

"“I saw him stab the prisoner in the side of the neck.” (Miller).

That's prosecutorial gold. Direct eyewitness account is really strong direct evidence. Yet I read some news stories that say things like, "No evidence beyond eyewitness accounts." Which is weird to me. It's not "thin." And then there's a text that Gallagher sent with photo of him holding the body with knife wounds in the neck with the accompanying text, "Got him with my hunting knife." And beforehand *other* witnesses claiming Gallagher got all excited when he heard the victim was in custody and said, "Lay off, he's mine." Take all that and tell me some story were Gallagher isn't the one who caused the knife wounds in the neck. I have a hard time thinking of one.

It'd be super nice to have like Gallagher's knife with the victim's blood on it. It'd also be nice to have a body. But plenty of people have been put away without the murder weapon or body as evidence. Direct eyewitness accounts are strong.

One of the 3 eyewitnesses suddenly changing his story certainly doesn't help....but I he *still* says Gallagher stabbed the victim in the neck. So that has to be attempted murder at the least. Unless you can convince me in some way that a SEAL stabbing someone in the neck with a hunting knife is just "assault" and not an attempt to kill.

And somehow given all the stories about Gallagher's extreme competence at killing people, I tend to think if he stabs a defenseless person in the neck, he's probably not going to screw it up.

Meanwhile the defense's case seems to be, "All these other SEALs turned on him. Because they're jealous that Gallagher is tough." Uh-huh.

“Thin” might be too strong a word, but here are my issues with this:

- A photo of the corpse doesn’t show any knife wounds or even any blood. Now, you can only see the front of the neck, but it seems odd to me that there isn’t even a blood smear. The Navy Times report said itself that the video and photographs were inconclusive; which I take to mean that there weren’t any stab wounds evident. Doesn’t mean that they aren’t there, just that there is no evidence of them.
- The Iraqis who took the body said the ISIS fighter die of gunshot wounds, not stab wounds.
- The eyewitness statements aren’t consistent.
- According to the Navy Times, there is some question whether Gallagher killed anybody during the deployment, either legally or illegally.
- Attempts by members of his SEAL team to “get their story straight” for the NCIS

Now, I agree that the defense has an equally thin case....that these guys decided that they were going to lie to get Gallagher. That seems very unlikely to me as well. Like I said, this case is very bewildering to me.

I’d love to hear from some of the LR lawyers to see what they think of the prosecution’s evidence.

Quote | Reply
Gallagher not guilty
Quote Reply
Re: The pardons that shouldn't [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And so one less pardon that shouldn't.
Quote Reply
Re: The pardons that shouldn't [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m totally disgusted by Trump’s pardons and reinstatement of rank today.

This is a new low.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What makes this a new low?

I'm being serious. He shat all over every American institution that didn't serve his interests, drew a moral equivalency between Putin's Russia and the United States, abandoned our allies to be slaughtered, and co-opts our foreign aid to use as leverage against a personal political opponent.

There is no new low. He's been at the very bottom for a long time now. He's just slithering into different corners, one day after the next.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: The pardons that shouldn't [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair comment.

I see this as tapping into the most perverse and immature understanding of what it means to be member of US military and how we conduct ourselves in the worse of conditions. I understand the fog of war, the confusion of the modern battlefield and the nature of the most recents conflicts, but even under those tremendously difficult situations we must adhere to the rule of war.

In issuing these pardons and reinstatement of rank, he is not standing in solidarity with our military, he is attacking it. These pardons are an attack on those who have remained faithful to lawful orders, rule of land warfare, and their own integrity... this is an attack on the soul of our military and our nation.

So new low, maybe not. But a new corner that demonstrates how low we have let ourselves go.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:

This is a new low.

I would agree. I thought i read somewhere last week that Sec Def had spoken with the president to advise against such action as it was harmful to the Military justice system. He marches to his own and marches by himself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
Fair comment.

I see this as tapping into the most perverse and immature understanding of what it means to be member of US military and how we conduct ourselves in the worse of conditions. I understand the fog of war, the confusion of the modern battlefield and the nature of the most recents conflicts, but even under those tremendously difficult situations we must adhere to the rule of war.

In issuing these pardons and reinstatement of rank, he is not standing in solidarity with our military, he is attacking it. These pardons are an attack on those who have remained faithful to lawful orders, rule of land warfare, and their own integrity... this is an attack on the soul of our military and our nation.

So new low, maybe not. But a new corner that demonstrates how low we have let ourselves go.

It's a new low.

See the thing is, most people think that the military has some amazing ability to instill discipline and professionalism in ordinary people but actually it doesn't. It's a mirage, an illusion, a suspension of disbelief.

There's a saying in the military... "we can't make you do anything, but we can make you wish you had". And this is true. Following orders, the chain of command, discipline and professionalism... it's all just a notional idea rather than a tangible structure. You can choose to do whatever the heck you want same as any other person in America. It's the way the military handles these situations that makes it special, that makes it a worthy profession. Without these ideas, it's not a long walk from the profession of arms to dissonant militias.

By pardoning criminal offenders the President seriously undermines the good order and discipline of the military, the chain of command of which he is a part of, and prevents the profession of arms from policing itself (one important aspect of any profession).

My $.02

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
jmh wrote:

This is a new low.

I would agree. I thought i read somewhere last week that Sec Def had spoken with the president to advise against such action as it was harmful to the Military justice system. He marches to his own and marches by himself.

Don't even give him that sliver of respect. Soldiers march. The President is not worthy of even that figure of speech.

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
jmh wrote:

This is a new low.

And the timing of it might suggest he was using it to counter bad PR.

If it was accompanied by some written essay or op-ed explaining the rationale and factors used in making the decision, I might be convinced. But I haven't seen one.

It appears to just cater to a few service members who've achieved celebrity in some "conservative" circles.
Quote Reply
Re: The pardons that shouldn't [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
gofigure wrote:
jmh wrote:

This is a new low.

Don't even give him that sliver of respect. Soldiers march. The President is not worthy of even that figure of speech.

E

I suppose I could have gone further into his marching ability and how he doesn't know his left from his right and how his fat ass looks so butt ugly in his tight fitting pants and maybe how his drummer plays with just one hand , his right. Respect and Trump do not belong in the same sentence or thought. Respect is given for the office of the President, always. For this man, Never!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
gofigure wrote:
jmh wrote:

This is a new low.

And the timing of it might suggest he was using it to counter bad PR.

If it was accompanied by some written essay or op-ed explaining the rationale and factors used in making the decision, I might be convinced. But I haven't seen one.

It appears to just cater to a few service members who've achieved celebrity in some "conservative" circles.

All the thread postings before are evidence that arguments can be made either way on the topic. To have the pardoner make argument is not asking too much. Well, for this pardoner, yes it is asking for too much! All should take it on faith and with loyalty that he is ordained to be infallible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The pardons that shouldn't [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
https://apple.news/A7SpxLZEjQAKDbcWfZ0umEA

And therein resides the one side to the argument against these pardons. A pardonee takes the low road and immediately politicizes publicly. A simple thank you letter would have sufficed.

Guaranteed Trump will respond in kind and amp the politics and his position that the military is his military not the military with the UCMJ and the Laws of Warfare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But if President Trump wants to successfully demonstrate to America’s rank-and-file troops that there’s no such thing as going too far, he hasn’t quite gone far enough. Trump must immediately issue a full pardon to Brigadier General Francis X. Hummel of the United States Marine Corps.

General Hummel’s story is a typical example of the great lengths left-wingers will go to in order to besmirch a patriotic soldier’s reputation. The general served three tours in Vietnam, saw action in Panama and Grenada, and led Marine Force Reconnaissance operations during Operation Desert Storm, earning three Purple Hearts, two Silver Stars, and the Congressional Medal of Honor over the course of a long career spent faithfully defending America’s freedoms. Calling him a “hero” or “man of honor” barely scratches the surface. “Legend” might be a better description.
Unfortunately, in the summer of 1996, a cabal of unelected Clinton administration bureaucrats, intent on transforming the finest fighting force in human history into a half-baked social justice experiment, decided to second-guess General Hummel’s battlefield actions from the safety and air-conditioned comfort of their offices. These overpaid, beige-Volvo-driving coastal elites, who were just as out of touch with real American values in 1996 as they are today, didn’t have enough warfighting experience to understand General Hummel’s split-second decision to infiltrate a chemical weapons depot, use brutal but nonlethal force to steal 15 missiles loaded with VX nerve gas, infiltrate Alcatraz Island disguised as a tourist, take 81 civilian hostages, and threaten to treat everyone in San Francisco to a free lungful of C11H26NO2PS unless the United States transferred $100 million from the Pentagon’s secret Grand Cayman Red Sea Trading Company account to an account designated by General Hummel within 40 hours. For these brave decisions, General Hummel should have become a national hero, or at least been given safe transport to a non-extradition country like he wanted. Instead, the Clinton administration took an overtly punitive approach, going so far as to release a British secret agent from prison in an effort to discredit and smear an American patriot, and also in an effort to prevent that American patriot from releasing nerve gas into the atmosphere above a major American city. The result of this all this meddling from liberal pantywaists

I think he might actually do it.

(for those that suck at humor... it is parody.)

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: The pardons that shouldn't [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
Pardons - the never-ending political argument. It’s a strange power in a country of laws. One can be charged, tried and convicted through our legal system then walk away because the President made the decision - for whatever reason. I would prefer we either do away with Presidential pardons or allow the President to nominate individuals to a body who make the final determination based on some set of criteria. Could even be SCOTUS who have to approve.

I’d prefer they just go away. Trump won’t be the last POTUS to take great liberties with this power.

This is a good point. If you take the Trump persona out of it, a lot of things people are upset about during this Presidency are related to how much power should we allow a President to have.

I'd be curious about the specific reasoning for the provision of pardons in our government. As we are seeing, there are no limits, hypothetically a group of Trump supporters could go on a terrorist rampage and kill thousands of people and he could just turn around and pardon them. The only check on pardons seems to be the character of the President himself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And to conclude this fictional story:

"he (Trump) will have secured his place in history as the man who spearheaded the most sweeping changes to the armed forces of the United States of America of any president since Davis."

I would laugh at the humor were I not crying for our military.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance he also pardons Col. Nathan Jessep?

Although we know that Trump can't recognize truth, let alone handle it.
Last edited by: Francois: Nov 18, 19 10:51
Quote Reply
Re: The pardons that shouldn't [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the US will deport US military Veterans that are not citizens, but are ok with members of the US military murdering brown people? Really shows what trump finds important.
Quote Reply
Re: The pardons that shouldn't [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only check on pardons seems to be the character of the President himself.//

Well we are finding out that there is another check, state charges. I think a lot of these Trump folks that have gone down, and are going down, there are state charges waiting in the wings to pick up the slack. That is the problem with hiring and appointing career criminals, they have broken so many laws that once the light is shone on them, there are so many strings to be pulled..I would love it if he pardoned his wiki leaks captain, and NY state got him right back and in state prison. Guessing this is why Manafort has been passed over, his lawyers probably told him it would be a waste of time, and he would just look foolish in the end..
Quote Reply
Re: The pardons that shouldn't [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying to the last comment but the nyt is reporting that the navy will take Gallagher’s trident tomorrow. Relevant officer(s) acknowledge Trump will reinstate and appear ready to end their careers to make the point.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: The pardons that shouldn't [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
Replying to the last comment but the nyt is reporting that the navy will take Gallagher’s trident tomorrow. Relevant officer(s) acknowledge Trump will reinstate and appear ready to end their careers to make the point.

The interesting line in that article is, "Admiral Green now has the authorization he needs from the Navy..."

It appears he might have gotten top cover. How far up did that authorization go? CNO? SECNAV? SECDEF? I'd imagine it went pretty high as it's - at a minimum - military courtesy to notify your chain if you're going to end up in the NYT or a Trump tweet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bunch of honorable men are betting their bars (really stars) to do the right thing.

Let’s see if Trump blinks.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply

Prev Next