Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think challenges can be a super helpful tool to help with the (at times) challenges of triathlon/endurance training. I started the big Kahuna 9 or 10 years ago for that purpose and at least for me, I know it helps with the consistency of my training investment. Down side, is maybe I don’t rest as much as I should but I rationalize it because I just like to work out a lot.

I know everyday I look forward to recording my workouts and checking the Big Kahuna standings and seeing if I’m still ahead of Dev :)

There used to be a lot more challenges and they were helpful to me at bringing a certain focus to my training. I almost always entered a monthly swim challenge at some point to really bump my swim fitness....usually in the winter. I’d like to see more of them added back if possible Slowman.

The 100/100 certainly has been the flagship for many years and as I recall Dev started it. Back before my knee really hit the skids I always did it and I think I got 88 runs one year and was pretty proud of it, even though I was in like 100th place!

At some level, the rules and data are arbitrary. Not to say we shouldn’t have them and I certainly tip my hat to those purists who strictly abide by them. I’m, with questionable judgement, gearing up for IM 15 at IMAZ and I’ve long since adopted the Galloway method (systematic run/walk) for my “long runs”. I recently did an experiment and ran 13.1 miles and then a week later did my version of the Galloway (8.5 min run/1.5 min walk) and I was only about 8 minutes slower. I counted both as 13.1 mile runs and I have no guilt in doing so. I’ll also count all 26.2 miles if I’m fortunate enough to complete my IM on the 24th.

It works for me and makes ST more valuable. To the purists, I apologize, but that’s the way I roll on this!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with this 100%
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
it's like saying, "match.com was good for me; i found a perfectly suitable mate; somebody i could spend the rest of my life with happily; but i got caught up in it and found myself going out on a first date 4 nights a week; and crashed and burned a wrecked and lonely man. so, i don't know if internet dating works for me."

That's a hell of a metaphor, Dan, and maybe not entirely untrue

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll bite...

I consider myself first a runner and second a multisport athlete, and this challenge just looks like smart run training. I’ll join if I’m feeling recovered from the NYC marathon by the start date.

30’ minimum of running and at least 1 hour between runs seem like good starting points to me.

My question regards strava syncing — I often log warmup/workout/cooldown as 3 separate activities, especially if the workout is on a track. These 3 activities are not a double or triple day - they are just part of an extended single run. (even though warmup and cooldown may be more than an hour apart). Will the strava import recognize they are all part of the same run?
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Slowman wrote:
it's like saying, "match.com was good for me; i found a perfectly suitable mate; somebody i could spend the rest of my life with happily; but i got caught up in it and found myself going out on a first date 4 nights a week; and crashed and burned a wrecked and lonely man. so, i don't know if internet dating works for me."

That's a hell of a metaphor, Dan, and maybe not entirely untrue

I agree. I couldn't think of anything equally snappy to come back with...so, I just left it there.

I think I had dreams of being "THAT" guy...but, never was. Probably not in running either...but, I've done passably enough to convince myself I was more awesome than I truly was.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twcronin wrote:
II consider myself first a runner and second a multisport athlete

Athletically-speaking: I self-identify as a Runner first, as a [very poor] Surfer/Skateboarder second, and as a Triathlete only under duress

Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [twcronin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twcronin wrote:
My question regards strava syncing — I often log warmup/workout/cooldown as 3 separate activities, especially if the workout is on a track. These 3 activities are not a double or triple day - they are just part of an extended single run. (even though warmup and cooldown may be more than an hour apart). Will the strava import recognize they are all part of the same run?

If I recall from last year, the training log isn't "smart" enough to enforce all of the rules. It really just counts runs of 30+ minutes. It doesn't care about the minimum hour between run or the 2 on the same day that add to 30 or the make up time on the following day.

So in your situation, if your warm up is 31 minutes, your main set is 31 minutes and your cooldown is 31 minutes, then the training log will show 3 runs. Conversely, if your warm up is 10 minutes, your main set is 29 minutes and your cooldown is 10 minutes, then the training log will show 0 runs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twcronin wrote:
I’ll bite...

I consider myself first a runner and second a multisport athlete, and this challenge just looks like smart run training. I’ll join if I’m feeling recovered from the NYC marathon by the start date.

30’ minimum of running and at least 1 hour between runs seem like good starting points to me.

Heyyyyyy. Currently, the import is not smart enough to tell that the end of one run was coincident with the start of another and thus, to combine them. So for now, I'd suggest hitting a lap for the workout, and then another lap for the cooldown.

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe you can also manually enter your runs, just takes a few clicks - some of us are not on strava after all.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
your main set is 29 minutes

Who among us isn't so anal that they'll let a run go for such an odd number, regardless of what's on the schedule?

Most will keep going for another minute just to round up

YMMV - literally

Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
mgreer wrote:

Who among us isn't so anal that they'll let a run go for such an odd number, regardless of what's on the schedule?

YMMV - literally

You ask this on a forum dedicated to OCD training? I'm sure there is someone on this forum who will only do workouts of a prime-duration.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the example was for illustrative purposes only :)
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
RandMart wrote:
mgreer wrote:

YMMV - literally

You ask this on a forum dedicated to OCD training? I'm sure there is someone on this forum who will only do workouts of a prime-duration.
Science loves even numbers.

I'd either stop at 28 minutes or continue to 30 minutes. But never go for 29 minutes.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
RandMart wrote:
mgreer wrote:

YMMV - literally

Good point

Athlete: The schedule says 10 warmup / 29 run / 10 cooldown
Coach: Yeah, so?
A: 29 is weird, can't I make it 30?
C: Stick to the plan
A: But it's weird; what's an extra minute?
C: Stick to the plan
A: I'd be happier doing 30
C: You're fired ... Send the Trucker Hat back

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:

A: I'd be happier doing 30
C: You're fired ... Send the Trucker Hat back

We finally know the "rest of the story."
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 12, 19 7:53
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
I'd either stop at 28 minutes or continue to 30 minutes. But never go for 29 minutes.

Maybe on a Leap Year, if it was the last day of February, just for fun

Maybe

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't think I am doing it this year. Not a fan that people climb the ladder by playing the rules... 5 runs in one day hour apart..etc. no minimum effort metrics for the 30 to count. Kind of how marathon world in USA is going people signing up for extreme downhill marathons with Nike bounce shoes to BQ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
ianpeace wrote:
start with a 1 min run x 1 min walk 15 times thru for 30min

You know there are going to be folks who say that you shouldn't get credit for 30 minutes, if you're only running for 15 of them

I'd like to give this a go, and I'm a run/walker at the best of times. Never mind when I've been a lazy bum and sat on my ass following my last wicked undertrained half mary of the season about two months ago.

If this is all about regaining consistency, I'm counting those walking minutes - I'll still have done a third as many miles as the rest of you by the time we're through. I'll just log on my own so as not to skew all you alpha triathletes' numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn’t let what others do stop you from some fun. I always start aggressively and then fade fast, was top twenty one year for awhile. Looking at the logs of those who were killing it, not many were gaming the system, and if you recall Bluestacks was putting in some serious effort. Put in the effort that you want, and if you do 20 runs of 30 minutes at easy effort that you would not have done without this challenge then so much the better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great, thanks -- that's helpful. During indoor track season I'll usually end up with wu/cd < 30' and the main set > 30' so the dumb algorithm might just be perfect.

LOL at the convo spawned by the abhorrent 29' workout example!
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:
I wouldn’t let what others do stop you from some fun. I always start aggressively and then fade fast, was top twenty one year for awhile. Looking at the logs of those who were killing it, not many were gaming the system, and if you recall Bluestacks was putting in some serious effort. Put in the effort that you want, and if you do 20 runs of 30 minutes at easy effort that you would not have done without this challenge then so much the better.

It would be better 100/100 to be in purist definition... 1 run per day, for 100 days straight
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonschnapps wrote:

You have that backwards. He would prefer to exclude (and belittle) everyone else who can't or won't participate in accordance with his "ideals".
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 12, 19 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Kind of how marathon world in USA is going people signing up for extreme downhill marathons with Nike bounce shoes to BQ

Not everyone is using "Nike bounce shoes to BQ"

Some people are still doing it the old fashioned way ... by cutting the course between Rossi Mats

Last edited by: RandMart: Nov 12, 19 10:41
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me and my Nike race bounce shoes are in. They make me faster and unreasonably annoy someone to boot- I need to buy an extra set.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
vonschnapps wrote:

You have that backwards. He would prefer to exclude (and belittle) everyone else who can't or won't participate in accordance with his "ideals".

I agree; I suspect synthetic is with the Fun Police

UK2ME wrote:
If this is all about regaining consistency, I'm counting those walking minutes - I'll still have done a third as many miles as the rest of you by the time we're through. I'll just log on my own so as not to skew all you alpha triathletes' numbers.

Yes. It's about getting/making time to get 1/2 an hour of running in, on a regular basis, whatever that may mean for you [30/100, 50/100, 75/100]. And to perhaps re-invigorate a joy of running "Hey! It's time to run! Let's go!"

It's a very special breed of STers who actively pursue 100/100

Quote Reply

Prev Next