Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread
Quote | Reply
we took a poll to see when you'd like to start the 100/100 this year. the great majority of you said november 15th, not our usual december 15th. but then we had a thread last month about the 100/100 starting early, why would we do that, what were we thinking so forth and so on, with all kinds of good reasons why november 15th was a bad start date.

so we split the difference and we're now staring on december 1st and i'm dead certain that's a horrible start date for reasons of which i'm not aware but i soon will be. and with that we shall commence our annual airing of the grievances, which i've placed on the forum when such grievances are ripe for posting, but early enough to get them all in well in advance of the actual commencement of the challenge.

let fly...

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All start dates are great. I don't give a sh_t.

I wish each treadmill minute could be counted as 2 outdoor minutes. I hate those torture devices.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't care what the "official" rules are - the rules that I'm running by are these:
  • 30min minimum
  • must have one hour between the end of run 1 and the start of run 2 to make 'em count as 2 separate runs
And while I won't be walking during my runs I would encourage anyone and everyone who's coming off and injury or starting back from a long break or looking to make an important change in their run form to start with a 1min run x 1 min walk 15 times thru for 30min. Do that for the first 6-10 days runs then bump it up to a 2min run x 1min walk for a week or so. Keep nudging it all forward safely, progressively and pop out the other side of the 100/100 Challenge with a whole new run for the 2020 triathlon season.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trislayer wrote:
All start dates are great. I don't give a sh_t. I wish each treadmill minute could be counted as 2 outdoor minutes. I hate those torture devices.

we have hear you before you even said it. we have in the queue a bunch of Zwift runs for those so-inclined, specifically in service of this Challenge.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good tip - thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [ianpeace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm about to finish rehab for a hip injury, I will try this. Hopefully I can get back on track!

My grievance was going to be me not doing the challenge because of said injury.

Where are the "official rules"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
start with a 1 min run x 1 min walk 15 times thru for 30min

You know there are going to be folks who say that you shouldn't get credit for 30 minutes, if you're only running for 15 of them

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianpeace wrote:
I don't care what the "official" rules are - the rules that I'm running by are these:

• 30min minimum

• must have one hour between the end of run 1 and the start of run 2 to make 'em count as 2 separate runs

Ian

I still think the 30 min minimal is the dumbest requirement if someone is running a second time that day. First run sure, second run dumb. I'd love to see it changed to:
Minimal 30 minutes for any first run of the day, minimal 15 minutes for any second run. For a lot of people doing 30/30 in one day is too much to being with. After all we're talking about triathletes not runners. I'd bet you $10k the average ST triathlete runs <17 mile per week or 885 miles in a year. Setting a lower bar allows one to start double runs more easily which can allow them to build their volume up more safely. By having to add the double to the next day it offers people all sorts of ways to become delusional about their actual run training.

The rest of your post though I can agree with though.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [trislayer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trislayer wrote:
I wish each treadmill minute could be counted as 2 outdoor minutes. I hate those torture devices.

There's a solution for that..

Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I still think the 30 min minimal is the dumbest requirement if someone is running a second time that day. First run sure, second run dumb.

Or if you could stretch the first and short the second

The rules say if you only go 24 minutes on the first, you're allowed to go 36 on the second to make it up for two 30's

If you go 36 on the first, why can't you go 24 on the second and ALSO count as 2x30?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You know there are going to be folks who say that you shouldn't get credit for 30 minutes, if you're only running for 15 of them

And to those people my reply would be somewhere between "get bent" and "lighten up Francis". Anyone who's walking/running their way into good running is not at the pointy end of this thing so they won't threaten the fragile egos of those trying to stay atop of some tab in this challenge (frequency - duration - speed).

The 100/100 Challenge is a GREAT place for triathletes to improve their run via forum changes or volume. I want to encourage triathletes to be better runners.

Ian

Ian Murray
http://www.TriathlonTrainingSeries.com
I like the pursuit of mastery
Twitter - @TriCoachIan
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The rules say if you only go 24 minutes on the first, you're allowed to go 36 on the second to make it up for two 30's

Yep. But, I think the rule states you can do this a max of 2x per week.

I made judicious use of this rule eary in the challenge last year, both to get a "low cost" double, or to get a low-cost single. By mid-way through the challenge I could do honest doubles 1-2x per week, and by the end...3-4x.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't decided if I'm in or out.

Overall, the challenge was extremely good for my running, last year. I'm in a completely different zip code as a runner now. I used to be your typical injury prone runner. With the judicious application of BarryP's principles leading into last year's challenge, and then the challenge itself...I came out the other side as a leg-hardened runner. I was able to go straight into a challenging tri program that included a lot of hard running.

Its been over two years since I had any type of running related injury. Now I'm doing tons of run intensity (that I would have been terrified of last year) without a concern in the world for any of the usual maladays. So, the 100/100 did for me what it is designed to do---the connective tissues are tough.

However, the challenge coupled with my own competitive spirit was bad for my mental state going into the real training season. I went WAY Over The Top trying to climb the "leader board", and got burned out with training by around late May. As a result I didn't do any tris this year, and only will do a single 10k right before the holidays.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I haven't decided if I'm in or out.

Overall, the challenge was extremely good for my running, last year. I'm in a completely different zip code as a runner now. I used to be your typical injury prone runner. With the judicious application of BarryP's principles leading into last year's challenge, and then the challenge itself...I came out the other side as a leg-hardened runner. I was able to go straight into a challenging tri program that included a lot of hard running.

Its been over two years since I had any type of running related injury. Now I'm doing tons of run intensity (that I would have been terrified of last year) without a concern in the world for any of the usual maladays. So, the 100/100 did for me what it is designed to do---the connective tissues are tough.

However, the challenge coupled with my own competitive spirit was bad for my mental state going into the real training season. I went WAY Over The Top trying to climb the "leader board", and got burned out with training by around late May. As a result I didn't do any tris this year, and only will do a single 10k right before the holidays.

tom! it's like saying, "match.com was good for me; i found a perfectly suitable mate; somebody i could spend the rest of my life with happily; but i got caught up in it and found myself going out on a first date 4 nights a week; and crashed and burned a wrecked and lonely man. so, i don't know if internet dating works for me."

just stifle the urge to overdo, tom. you and i will do it together.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
just stifle the urge to overdo

Quote of the day, sir! Wildly optomistic, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love that the first thing anyone seems to do is talk about the rules.and then how to get around them and parse them. break them up into constituent parts, then stretch and pull those parts until there's a whole book.

So I will add a few chapters of my own.
Running at altitude should count for more... somethings.
There should be limits on how many minutes in the 30 minutes segments are acceptable for walking.
If you can speekwalk a 5 min K, does that count.
Whats the minimum acceptable speed (I would qualify)
Should those wearing the latest Nikes discount their run time by the added efficiency of the shoe.
Temperature should be a factor, as in running in a desert (or a sandy beach...no not in a Hallmark movie).
I'm in Canada and -10 is about as low as I go, but I should get points over someone in a gym on a treadmill.
And clothing..don't get me started. (diving suit?)

This should be thoroughly discussed and rules published.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I totally don't remember this poll. I'd say I got an elephant brain or some such. That's my grievance!

So December 1? I'm gonna figure this out, but that's a great date for me!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m ahead of the challenge this year...Iā€™m injured before it starts! But should be ok by Dec 1st. Am I correct in saying that the maximum number of runs that is possible in one day would be 12 (30 min runs, one hour between each run? Asking for a friendšŸ˜
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I'd bet you $10k the average ST triathlete runs <17 mile per week or 885 miles in a year.

yeah pretty much ... I only have 259mi running this year ... lol

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Nov 11, 19 17:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am agrieved that I am still injured. And that I'm not smart enough to stop injuring myself. I still display my 2016 bronze achievement prominently.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarioTB wrote:
I'm about to finish rehab for a hip injury, I will try this. Hopefully I can get back on track!

My grievance was going to be me not doing the challenge because of said injury.

Bump. For those of us new to this where should we start? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarioTB wrote:
Yeah

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See the first post in last year's thread...

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...nge_Thread_P6815076/
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm so the 1 min walk + 1 min run would not count unless I do it for an hour at least
Quote Reply
Re: 2019/20 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought it would be 24/1.5 as 1hr between each 30 min run (end of 1st to start of 2nd to be 1hr)
Quote Reply

Prev Next