Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Down sizing the wallet
Quote | Reply
I don’t have a huge Costanza wallet, but I’m looking to downsize or maybe just get something new. I’ve had a regular billfold for years, and it’s wearing out.

Anyone downsize or go minimalist and have a favorite style or brand?

I’m looking at maybe the Ezra Arthur cash fold, or something like the Tanner Journeyman. Kind of want to stick with leather, rather than something hard edged like the Ridge, but I’m open to recommendations.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Down sizing the wallet [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you considered a money clip? Credit, Debit, Driver's license with cash wrapped around it. I did that for several years. Now have a leather money clip card holder combo, don't know the brand off the top of my head
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Belroy slim sleeve, it holds max of 10 cards, I think I vary 6 and it’s pretty tight. They do a good job of minimizing the total leather in the wallet.

They have a bunch of models, got mine on amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched from wallet to Storus Smart Money Clip - it is metal - allows about 6 cards on the main side that slide in and about 4 and folded money on the clip side - now on my second one in about 20 years - love this way of carrying c cards and money.

https://www.amazon.com/...LCC/?tag=hidevour-20

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I checked out a few and eventually went with this https://www.trayvax.com/products/original-2-0 My minimalist carry is 9 cards, which was more than most minimal wallets could hold. This could hold more, or less, as it's adjustable. It also has a built in bottle opener and screwdriver (which to be honest, I've never used).

Trayvax also has a few other models available.

https://www.trayvax.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a phone case that has a slot in the back for around 3 cards. I just use that and put some cash in the case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used the Allett "Sport Wallets" for more than a decade now. IMO, they're the perfect size and design. They're actually thinner than a money clip due to the bulk of the clip part, while still providing some organization and "random access" that a wallet offers over a clip.

https://www.all-ett.com/

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Down sizing the wallet [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting is what you really need and think you need. Drivers license, debit card, one credit card for around town and my fishing license, add passport and one more credit card for Europe and I am good to go. So I use one of those zipper cotton bags from Guatemala. Swim or surf with it in your surf trunks, dry it out in the sun at home, slides into any jersey or most running shorts pockets. I carry a $100 bill in the wallet for emergencies and cash in pockets. I can not for the life of me see why people need to carry all that extra crap around with them. Now that my house has a combination lock and the car has a fob, I only have a single key with my beer opener on my key chain. may lose that someday soon. Call me irresponsible, but that is how I roll.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is what I sized to, love it:

https://www.amazon.com/...1569931858&psc=1
Quote Reply
Re: Down sizing the wallet [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
Interesting is what you really need and think you need. Drivers license, debit card, one credit card for around town and my fishing license, add passport and one more credit card for Europe and I am good to go. . .

That's pretty light. The 9 cards in my minimalist wallet are: driver's license, amex card, visa card, corp credit card, bank atm card, medical insurance card, triple aaa card, subway card, panera* card. I tuck about $20 of cash in the money clip area but rarely use it. I find I can't really go fewer.

*panera thing b/c it's a frequent enough breakfast stop, and quicker to swipe the card than giving my phone number for them to look up. A bunch of other cards we're offloaded including my corp badge, building access badge, faculty ID badge which went into my work/laptop bag instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Down sizing the wallet [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
I have a phone case that has a slot in the back for around 3 cards. I just use that and put some cash in the case.

^^This. Since I don't carry cash this is perfect. All I need is Drivers License, Bank Card, Retired Military ID and a some business cards.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:

When I am travelling I use my Nomad cell phone case which has 3 credit card slots, one for the hotel room key card, one for my work CC and one for my personal CC. If I decided to not carry a separate billfold, I could easily move my DL and retired military ID card and a few extra cards into the slots by putting two in each slot.

There is an area for currency but I rarely use it since nearly every transaction I experience is via one card or another without the need for cash.

Why carry something else when you are already going to carry your cell phone?
Last edited by: vecchia capra: Aug 5, 19 5:42
Quote Reply
Re: Down sizing the wallet [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how do you secure your Glock when you're dancing with such little support?

i see the allure of the minimalist wallet but as others have said: State ID; .Mil ID; CCW card; hunting fishing liscence card; x2 CCs--now we're up to six cards. Then i carry USAA ins. card for autos; and Progressive ins card for moto. Then there's what miniscule amount of $ my wife lets me wander about with.

at work i carry a metric butt ton of cards (CAC, SIPR token, compound IDs, various scatter badge cards, RSA token) but i do all that shit on a lanyard case and rotate cards to the front depending on the compound/workspace i'm in

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have paypass set up on my phone, so no need for bank cards. I have the loyalty cards stored in Goggle GPay app. I have a photo of my drivers licence saved on my phone. So I go wallet and card less here in Australia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The right move is to lean into it and just get a European man's carryall.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:

Same here. I keep my leather wallet with discount cards, insurance cards, credit card, etc in the glove box. Drivers license, debit card, and a little cash in the phone case.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: Down sizing the wallet [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
this is what I sized to, love it:

https://www.amazon.com/...1569931858&psc=1

That Harpeth looks really cool.

Nice design, and about the same size as the Allett Sport when folded. But, I bet it's thicker than the Allett. From the photos it looks like it has six layers of leather, while the Sport has only two, plus four much thinner Silnylon layers (when folded).

Allett also has a really thin version that is all Sil that I use to carry an ID, 1 credit card, and a $20 when backpacking.

Quote Reply
Re: Down sizing the wallet [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
how do you secure your Glock when you're dancing with such little support?

i see the allure of the minimalist wallet but as others have said: State ID; .Mil ID; CCW card; hunting fishing liscence card; x2 CCs--now we're up to six cards. Then i carry USAA ins. card for autos; and Progressive ins card for moto. Then there's what miniscule amount of $ my wife lets me wander about with.

at work i carry a metric butt ton of cards (CAC, SIPR token, compound IDs, various scatter badge cards, RSA token) but i do all that shit on a lanyard case and rotate cards to the front depending on the compound/workspace i'm in

/r

You just need to "redistribute" some of those cards to fully experience the joy of wallet minimalism, Steve. :-)

CCW card -> holster
fish/game license -> hunting vest/tackle box
Car Insurance Card -> glove box
Moto Ins Card -> under moto seat

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to take your idea of CCW card holder to safariland. I've got a safariland holster with two levels of retention (so I can do a backflip without shooting someone) but there is no way for it to hold my card? Neat idea tho.

i can see it now.

GA state trooper--'you got a license for that gun boy?'
Me--'sure officer, I'm just gonna reach right here by this HK and pluck my card out for you'

That's the night that the lights went out in Georgia!

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
You need to take your idea of CCW card holder to safariland. I've got a safariland holster with two levels of retention (so I can do a backflip without shooting someone) but there is no way for it to hold my card? Neat idea tho.

i can see it now.

GA state trooper--'you got a license for that gun boy?'
Me--'sure officer, I'm just gonna reach right here by this HK and pluck my card out for you'

That's the night that the lights went out in Georgia!

/r

Ha! Point taken. :-)

I was thinking more along the lines of a "cellphone case" holster for a mouse gun a la Sneaky Pete or something. But, your state trooper scenario still applies.

As an aside, how in the world do you conceal a level III holster?

Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Aug 5, 19 10:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to BASICS (now Nomadic) a couple of years ago and I still have it. Great wallet. Holds everything I need and very slim/,minimal
I can't activate link for some reason:

https://www.nomatic.com/...lEAAYASAAEgL3mPD_BwE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You start with a corn fed boy that's 6'5" and about 250lbs. Then you cloth him and we go from there.

BTW I use weapons and know a lot about them but don't consider myself an expert. So i may have technically mis spoken here? I was refering to the ALS system and by two levels of retention I'm talking the friction fit into the kydex and then the one mechanical retention device. Perhaps that doesn't technically count as two levels of retention?

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
You start with a corn fed boy that's 6'5" and about 250lbs. Then you cloth him and we go from there.

BTW I use weapons and know a lot about them but don't consider myself an expert. So i may have technically mis spoken here? I was refering to the ALS system and by two levels of retention I'm talking the friction fit into the kydex and then the one mechanical retention device. Perhaps that doesn't technically count as two levels of retention?

/r

We're digressing pretty far from wallets, but I think what you describe qualifies as "retention level II". (Safariland's level III adds a thumb strap.) Still, that setup sounds like it's OWB, and not tiny.

We sidestep the entire issue here in Idaho though. For better or worse, we have "constitutional carry", and for the most part you can carry open or concealed without any kind of permit.

One less card for the wallet. ;-)

Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Aug 5, 19 10:27
Quote Reply
Re: Down sizing the wallet [CW in NH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CW in NH wrote:
Belroy slim sleeve

I have used a Belroy wallet for several years now and love it. Also purchased one for my Dad as a gift last year. Several options, fantastic quality, and thoughtful design.
Quote Reply
Re: Down sizing the wallet [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
feman wrote:
I switched from wallet to Storus Smart Money Clip - it is metal - allows about 6 cards on the main side that slide in and about 4 and folded money on the clip side - now on my second one in about 20 years - love this way of carrying c cards and money.

https://www.amazon.com/...LCC/?tag=hidevour-20

I've used this for about the same amount of time. Carries all the cards and the little bit of cash I need in my front pocket.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply