Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines...
Quote | Reply
Announced today...

IRONMAN We're proud to announcement the Certified Piedmontese IRONMAN 70.3 Des Moines will be joining the IRONMAN circuit for 2020. #IM703DSM

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Last edited by: ggeiger: Jun 24, 19 15:09
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does this mean no steelhead in 2020?

Puts WI70.3, Steelhead, DSM on the June calendar.
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hah, until I saw this, I totally forgot that without St.G 70.3 that there was no NA champs. Can't imagine des moines will provide much of a challenging course.

I also imagine that the roll-downs for NZ will be historical there since not a lot of NA-based athletes will be in the mood to go, this is a bit later in the qualifying season, and even with NA Champs status, it likely won't attract much talent outside of the Chicago, Minneapolis, KC areas. n=1, Even though I'm not a podium factor, it certainly doesn't feature on my list of destinations and NA champ status doesn't affect that at all.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People that want to go to NZ may target this race just for that reason.
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, but even then I'm not sure there will be 75 people who do that. Maybe I'm mistaken, I haven't heard how the roll-down for St.G went last year with South Africa as the prize... however even then when we knew the following year was France, that may have enticed more than would NZ especially knowing St. G is the host in 2021.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
even with NA Champs status, it likely won't attract much talent outside of the Chicago, Minneapolis, KC areas.

I'm guessing that IM's calculation is that about 37 million people live within an easy drive of Des Moines, and the talented and not-so-talented among them will all pay the same. And unlike Wisconsin 70.3, the nearest race, the NA champs will have pro talent.

I've set a reminder on my phone to sign up.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [kornpett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kornpett wrote:
hadukla wrote:
even with NA Champs status, it likely won't attract much talent outside of the Chicago, Minneapolis, KC areas.

I'm guessing that IM's calculation is that about 37 million people live within an easy drive of Des Moines, and the talented and not-so-talented among them will all pay the same. And unlike Wisconsin 70.3, the nearest race, the NA champs will have pro talent.

Oh I'm not doubting their ability to fill the race at all, I'd do it if I lived in Chicago. I'm doubting that 75 people will take all the slots for the WC.

Also, I don't think having a pro field vs. not really brings more registrants. Could be wrong but there are plenty of races without pro fields that do just fine

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Hah, until I saw this, I totally forgot that without St.G 70.3 that there was no NA champs. Can't imagine des moines will provide much of a challenging course.

I also imagine that the roll-downs for NZ will be historical there since not a lot of NA-based athletes will be in the mood to go, this is a bit later in the qualifying season, and even with NA Champs status, itI likely won't attract much talent outside of the Chicago, Minneapolis, KC areas. n=1, Even though I'm not a podium factor, it certainly doesn't feature on my list of destinations and NA champ status doesn't affect that at all.

I am in the KC contingent that will be signing up. In the past I've race the DSM Half Marathon and the race was very well supported...better than KC and other larger midwest metro areas. I have no doubt that DSM will show up for a party. See you in June of 2020.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
December race and NZD is .66
Makes for a great vacation. Easier for sure for us west coast people tho

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mid-west hat trick in June - Wisconsin 70.3, Des Moines 70.3 and Steelhead 70.3. Bet we have a few do all three races! Z
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomziebart wrote:
Mid-west hat trick in June - Wisconsin 70.3, Des Moines 70.3 and Steelhead 70.3. Bet we have a few do all three races! Z

Add Muncie two weeks after Steelhead. Not June but definitely a lot of opportunities to race in a little over a month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea where the finish will be? Interested to book a hotel now as a "just in case" I do it
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finish should be near the downtown area. Run course will head from Gray's Lake towards the downtown/ Capital area as the old Hy-Vee 5150 did with the finish line right near the Polk County Courthouse and Iowa River.

https://www.catchdesmoines.com/...onman-703-triathlon/

Carson Christen
Sport Scientist , Coach
Torden Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Won't provide much of a challenging course???

Have you ridden in Iowa? 80-90deg +, 100% humidity, constant rolling terrain, and lots of wind.....If the pro athletes of the HyVee triathlon always found/said it was tough, I'm guessing most pros/amateurs for a half-distance race will find it "challenging."

Carson Christen
Sport Scientist , Coach
Torden Multisport
Last edited by: cchristen: Jun 25, 19 4:07
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [cchristen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cchristen wrote:

Have you ridden in Iowa? 80-90deg +, 100% humidity, constant rolling terrain, and lots of wind.....If the pro athletes of the HyVee triathlon always found/said it was tough, I'm guessing most pros/amateurs for a half-distance race will find it "challenging."

All I did was read the description of the course on the website. I'm sure Iowa has terrain but it appears WTC is skipping most of it.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Can't imagine des moines will provide much of a challenging course.

Never been to Des Moines, have you? I ran the IMT Des Moines Marathon several years ago, nice course that was a little hilly, that finished in front of the Capitol. But driving around town, that area has WAAAYY more hills than I expected. That whole "Iowa is flat" thing seems to apply further north, but doesn't describe Des Moines. It's not mountainous, but it will have lots of big rollers.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [David_Tris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David_Tris wrote:
Never been to Des Moines, have you? I ran the IMT Des Moines Marathon several years ago, nice course that was a little hilly, that finished in front of the Capitol. But driving around town, that area has WAAAYY more hills than I expected. That whole "Iowa is flat" thing seems to apply further north, but doesn't describe Des Moines. It's not mountainous, but it will have lots of big rollers.

I drove through it on my way out west. It ain't Utah. Regardless of whether Iowa has terrain is irrelevant because WTC doesn't like hard courses, remember?

Ironman.com wrote:
The one loop bike course has very few turns and takes athletes from Grays Lake Park through scenic Water Works Park, brand-new roads in West Des Moines and the rural beauty of Iowa that will take cyclists through a mix of corn fields and city views. It truly is a “Field of Dreams”. Rolling hills and flat roads will highlight a course that’s inviting to all athletes striving for a personal best. The athletes will return to Grays Lake Park at the conclusion of the bike course.

Ironman.com wrote:
The flat and fast, two-loop run course will begin at Gray’s Lake Park and athletes will make their way towards downtown Des Moines.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
People that want to go to NZ may target this race just for that reason.

That's my plan. I'm usually just outside of the qualifying range but I'm hoping that with the race in New Zealand during Thanksgiving week, a lot of folks will pass.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kornpett wrote:
hadukla wrote:

looks like WTC is taking the Fedex and UPS approach and starting to center their "hubs" in the middle of the country.. smart business strategy
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, they keeping all 3 in midwest next year? Some of us are going to NZ for sure... also my wife crushed the 55 plus ag and had to leave wants her award, no response from RD...thanks
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [YTZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Send me an e-mail about your wife’s award. June will be packed with IM 70.3 races in the mid-west! Wisconsin 70.3, Des Moines and Steelhead! Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pigman half was brutal. One of the toughest around. Always crazy hot and usually windy. Plenty of hills to make it honest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who gives an eff! If you attack the course any race is hard to include sprints and 5k’s.

hadukla wrote:
cchristen wrote:

All I did was read the description of the course on the website. I'm sure Iowa has terrain but it appears WTC is skipping most of it.
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any word on who the race director is? There's dom really really good RD's in this area, and a couple that are pure garbage.
Quote Reply
Re: IMDSM.....NA 70.3 champs in Des Moines... [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done the HyVee triathlon there in Des Moines once or twice back when they had SWEET prize money. They hosted the 5150 U.S. Championships there one year. I remember it brought Javi Gomez and a few other good pros there. In 2015 HyVee had dropped out but they did have a Des Moines Triathlon on the same course. That year I raced and so did Cam Dye (who won), TJ Tollakson, Greg and Laura Bennett, Rinny and Sarah Haskins. The finish line was right in front of the Capital. I thought the course was fine, some rollers on both bike and run but not TOO tough of a course. I always had a good time there in Des Moines, loved the atmosphere. Swim was in Gray's Lake, not a huge lake but having done a 1500m course there I think they can squeeze a 1900m swim in there also.

I'm signed up, live in the K.C. area and have "suffered" through losing IM Branson 70.3 (flat course loving p***ies killed that one) and then losing IM Kansas 70.3 so happy to see a good half distance come back close.

I thought the RD that did the HyVee and the Des Moines Triathlon (PEM out of Louisiana I believe) did a fantastic job, would love to see them do the half there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next