Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
prince of bahrain says team bahrain merida is not connectd with government and there fore not in breach of uci ethics code for the poor bahrain human rights record ....
Quote | Reply
https://www.theguardian.com/...wash-campaigners-say

I guess this is a bit like saying that the saudi arabian government had nothing to do with the death in the saud arabian embassy in turkey.... or am i missing something here.
Quote Reply
Re: prince of bahrain says team bahrain merida is not connectd with government and there fore not in breach of uci ethics code for the poor bahrain human rights record .... [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the logic is that the team is not technically owned by the government of Bahrain but rather a business consortium. Of course, the consortium is comprised of royal family members, aka government officials, but there is some degree of legal separation. The government sponsorship of the team does not make the team a government entity, similar to USPS sponsorship back in the day.

That is where it breaks from the Saudi analogy. An embassy is an official government facility and therefore cannot be considered as anything but an official entity.

Your point is well-taken, though. Is the half-degree of separation sufficient? Would it be accepted if North Korea had a similar setup? What about NAMBLA? (Ok, that’s a huge leap, I know.) Maybe it is ok. I think that there is a discussion that should be had at he UCI level.

https://www.endurancelab.fit
https://www.teamodz.com
https://discuss.endurancelab.fit
Quote Reply
Re: prince of bahrain says team bahrain merida is not connectd with government and there fore not in breach of uci ethics code for the poor bahrain human rights record .... [Evil Elf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's their logic but it's hard to justify, given that the team founder and current leader (Nasser) is a government sports official, and much of the money comes from wholly government-owned organizations, and the private money was "earned" from working for the government or being in the Royal family.

The fact that the UCI's ethics investigation focuses on team members should not be a barrier to exclusion since Nasser is the team leader.

If it really is not affiliated with the government, they should be required to name it something else so it is not associated with the human rights abuses.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: prince of bahrain says team bahrain merida is not connectd with government and there fore not in breach of uci ethics code for the poor bahrain human rights record .... [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This article just triple confirms the prince a a legitimate POS.
Quote Reply
Re: prince of bahrain says team bahrain merida is not connectd with government and there fore not in breach of uci ethics code for the poor bahrain human rights record .... [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ed, I'm not arguing against any of your points. I agree with you. It's just that they are using the loophole of a corporation to get around the human rights issue. Besides, I'm pretty sure that the UCI won't do anything about it, as there is money involved. The UCI has never shown itself to be coin operated <pink>.

https://www.endurancelab.fit
https://www.teamodz.com
https://discuss.endurancelab.fit
Quote Reply
Re: prince of bahrain says team bahrain merida is not connectd with government and there fore not in breach of uci ethics code for the poor bahrain human rights record .... [Evil Elf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would it be accepted if North Korea had a similar setup? //

Well since NK is at the bottom of our shit list of countries we do business with, and have had sanctions in place forever, and SA is one of, if not our top ally in the world, not really a fair question, no? And i'n not arguing there is any difference in how each country comports itself, just how we view and interact with them..
Quote Reply
Re: prince of bahrain says team bahrain merida is not connectd with government and there fore not in breach of uci ethics code for the poor bahrain human rights record .... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
just how we view and interact with them..

.... because one has oil and the other doesn’t.
Quote Reply
Re: prince of bahrain says team bahrain merida is not connectd with government and there fore not in breach of uci ethics code for the poor bahrain human rights record .... [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well the oil thing is getting less and less important, especially since we have become the worlds largest producer of the black gold, and keep increasing our production. It would be my hope that we could decrease our use at the same time(using renewables) and not have to buy from anyone anymore..

But that is not the main reason anymore, it is the bases we have there and their strategic positioning in the region. Oil is so yesterday..
Quote Reply
Re: prince of bahrain says team bahrain merida is not connectd with government and there fore not in breach of uci ethics code for the poor bahrain human rights record .... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
But that is not the main reason anymore, it is the bases we have there and their strategic positioning in the region. Oil is so yesterday..

But the bases are strategically positioned because of....oil (mostly). The Middle East will always be strategically important because of oil, even though the U.S./Canada produce a lot. Oil is a global commodity, and middle-eastern production is a huge factor in the global price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Evil Elf wrote:
Ed, I'm not arguing against any of your points. I agree with you. It's just that they are using the loophole of a corporation to get around the human rights issue. Besides, I'm pretty sure that the UCI won't do anything about it, as there is money involved. The UCI has never shown itself to be coin operated <pink>.

I guess nobobdy would think that uci is going to do something .
but still head of the government's Supreme Council for Youth and Sports and team leader ....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Evil Elf wrote:
I think that there is a discussion that should be had at he UCI level.

Given the past, I think that's optimistic!

29 years and counting
Last edited by: Jorgan: Jul 5, 19 5:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Would it be accepted if North Korea had a similar setup? //

Well since NK is at the bottom of our shit list of countries we do business with, and have had sanctions in place forever, and SA is one of, if not our top ally in the world, not really a fair question, no? And i'n not arguing there is any difference in how each country comports itself, just how we view and interact with them..

It's a simple eqation...
The ethical concern is inversely proportional to the amount of oil they have.
Quote Reply
Re: prince of bahrain says team bahrain merida is not connectd with government and there fore not in breach of uci ethics code for the poor bahrain human rights record .... [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
Evil Elf wrote:
I think that there is a discussion that should be had at he UCI level.

Given the past, I think that's optimistic!

do you think Itu or IM will ever even consider this for the tri team where he is also a member off ...
i guess one has to be an optimist to think bahrain 13 is not sportwashing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahrain_Thirteen

at the same time at least they allow females to race at their race and overall the triahlon has an positive impact on bahrain.
Quote Reply
Re: prince of bahrain says team bahrain merida is not connectd with government and there fore not in breach of uci ethics code for the poor bahrain human rights record .... [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
at the same time at least they allow females to race at their race and overall the triahlon has an positive impact on bahrain.

the prince of bahrain, and bahrain's intersection with cycling and triathlon in general, is complicated, and to me quite interesting. like lance armstrong, like frank meza, and ultimately like the best among us, really good people are almost never fully good. the question is simply how bad the bad in us is; do we have enough power to inflict our badness on others; is our bad behavior uncovered; and do we have the ballast and presence to self-correct or do our faults include the inability to fix our character flaws and change our behaviors?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: prince of bahrain says team bahrain merida is not connectd with government and there fore not in breach of uci ethics code for the poor bahrain human rights record .... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
the question is simply how bad the bad in us is;

It is complicated, but I think the question is "how good is the good in us?"

I have little doubt that there the Bahraini royalty has done bad things, nor that that the participation in endurance sports has some propaganda intent - though I think it's more just having fun playing at "billionaire international playboy" like Jim Ratcliffe of Ineos.

But I also have little doubt that exposing the culture to western culture through endurance sports is good, intended or not.

So the question is are we so weak that the negative aspects of their culture win? Or will the positive aspects of our culture win?

I don't like reading accounts of IM race directors bending/breaking rules to accommodate royalty. That's the bad parts of Bahraini elite culture making inroads into our governing bodies. While western culture is certainly not immune to the corrupting influence of money, that sort of in-your-face prostrating before "royalty" is hard to take.

On the other hand there are Bahraini children and women taking up running and cycling.

I'm an optimist, but I still think we win this battle.
Quote Reply
Re: prince of bahrain says team bahrain merida is not connectd with government and there fore not in breach of uci ethics code for the poor bahrain human rights record .... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I have little doubt that there the Bahraini royalty has done bad things, nor that that the participation in endurance sports has some propaganda intent - though I think it's more just having fun playing at "billionaire international playboy" like Jim Ratcliffe of Ineos.

But I also have little doubt that exposing the culture to western culture through endurance sports is good, intended or not.

So the question is are we so weak that the negative aspects of their culture win? Or will the positive aspects of our culture win?

I don't like reading accounts of IM race directors bending/breaking rules to accommodate royalty. That's the bad parts of Bahraini elite culture making inroads into our governing bodies. While western culture is certainly not immune to the corrupting influence of money, that sort of in-your-face prostrating before "royalty" is hard to take.

On the other hand there are Bahraini children and women taking up running and cycling.

there's lots of moving parts to this. it's laughable that bahrain endurance 13 is a coincidence, and does not refer to the bahrain 13. so it would be nice if our intelligence is not insulted by the prince. but it also insults my intelligence to hold bahrain to a different torture standard than my own country. i've got problems with this prince and it's not just about that; it's about his goddam moto circus inside of our races. but i also applaud him for aggressively pushing a women's rights agenda on a culture that very badly needs that agenda pushed. complicated guy.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: prince of bahrain says team bahrain merida is not connectd with government and there fore not in breach of uci ethics code for the poor bahrain human rights record .... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
pk wrote:

the prince of bahrain, and bahrain's intersection with cycling and triathlon in general, is complicated, and to me quite interesting. like lance armstrong, like frank meza, and ultimately like the best among us, really good people are almost never fully good. the question is simply how bad the bad in us is; do we have enough power to inflict our badness on others; is our bad behavior uncovered; and do we have the ballast and presence to self-correct or do our faults include the inability to fix our character flaws and change our behaviors?

thats a good question
the potential answer to this is that i would appear that the prince did change the catogory he raced AFTER kona so he could win something.
besides i believe there is currently some serious drug algeations about a slowenian guy assosiated with bahrain.
so it would more appear a fix is not that likely to happen.

and of curse you are very right power and being good dosnt go well hand in hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
trail wrote:
Slowman wrote:

there's lots of moving parts to this. it's laughable that bahrain endurance 13 is a coincidence, and does not refer to the bahrain 13. so it would be nice if our intelligence is not insulted by the prince. but it also insults my intelligence to hold bahrain to a different torture standard than my own country. i've got problems with this prince and it's not just about that; it's about his goddam moto circus inside of our races. but i also applaud him for aggressively pushing a women's rights agenda on a culture that very badly needs that agenda pushed. complicated guy.

I guess its totally fine to applaud his good points while being critical about the more complicated issues. And as you say we have enough issues in Europe and the USA that dont make us look good and we should always rember this before we point fingers at others.

as an aside it always leaves a bad taste in my mouth when i see ryf and frodeno with the barhrain 13 on their suit i mean those 2 really would have no problem finding another sponsor and would likely lose very little money in doing so . ( sebi made a much better choice , in my mind , leaving the team a couple of years ago )
Quote Reply
Re: prince of bahrain says team bahrain merida is not connectd with government and there fore not in breach of uci ethics code for the poor bahrain human rights record .... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Slowman wrote:

good post .
but i guess the question is more what could UCI and Itu do to to make prevent sportwashing as much as possible?

Quote Reply
Re: prince of bahrain says team bahrain merida is not connectd with government and there fore not in breach of uci ethics code for the poor bahrain human rights record .... [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
This article just triple confirms the prince a a legitimate POS.

Careful. If the prince eventually commits suicide due to world condemnation on social media you might be accused of cyber-bulling and piling on. How dare anyone call out another's moral failings in the world of sport!
Quote Reply
Re: prince of bahrain says team bahrain merida is not connectd with government and there fore not in breach of uci ethics code for the poor bahrain human rights record .... [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t care if this is in pink or not... you sir are classless!! And yes your cyber bullying contributed to his death.
Quote Reply
Re: prince of bahrain says team bahrain merida is not connectd with government and there fore not in breach of uci ethics code for the poor bahrain human rights record .... [RUNNER86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And you have no integrity if you think calling attention to factual evidence of cheating constitutes cyber bullying. I have no use for people who lie and cheat, and those who would cover for them.
Quote Reply
Re: prince of bahrain says team bahrain merida is not connectd with government and there fore not in breach of uci ethics code for the poor bahrain human rights record .... [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But you support Frump I bet..... you did contribute and you just won’t stop. Let it go... the man is dead from all of these crazy folks thinking he deserved all the bullying. Depression is very serious and he was forced into it by all the attention and bullying. Why do you think you are the one that needs to keep piling on? Get a fucking life dude!!
Quote Reply
Re: prince of bahrain says team bahrain merida is not connectd with government and there fore not in breach of uci ethics code for the poor bahrain human rights record .... [RUNNER86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RUNNER86 wrote:
But you support Frump I bet..... you did contribute and you just won’t stop. Let it go... the man is dead from all of these crazy folks thinking he deserved all the bullying. Depression is very serious and he was forced into it by all the attention and bullying. Why do you think you are the one that needs to keep piling on? Get a fucking life dude!!

So you clinically evaluated FM and determined he suffered depression? Pray tell which particular post I made that personally sent FM over the edge since you seem to know he followed ST religiously? And I am not piling on FM, I am going on about those who think cheaters are off limits. Surely, you think the Prince is also exempt from criticism or do you have exceptions? Meanwhile, I'm getting along just fine. Let it go dude!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are a complete asshole... go train you need it!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next