Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HIM Cozumel wheel choices
Quote | Reply
Going down this year and keep hearing about the wind on the bike.

I usually run a 90 in front and a disc out back but do have a 90 for the rear for those non disc events., like Cozumel.

Question is, should I go with a shallower front in case the cross winds are bad or just grin and take it?
Quote Reply
Re: HIM Cozumel wheel choices [Craigfsl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you own shallower wheels for the front?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: HIM Cozumel wheel choices [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can easily get one but not at this point
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran 90 front and back for the full last year and was fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just run the 90.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you weigh and how's your bike handling? If you're ultra light or not very confident, I'd drop the front down to a ~60mm. Otherwise, a 90 should be fine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can perfectly use the 90mm profile. I ran in 2017 with Zipp 808 without any problem and it was a rather windy day.
Quote Reply
Re: HIM Cozumel wheel choices [ezeocampo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I figured I’d be able to power through. I’m a bigger guy at 6ft 190 and have dealt with some decent winds on the bike before without much issue on shorter courses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'11" and 170 and as above went with the 90mm front and back for the full last year, with no problems.

One piece of advice is to stay alert on the east side of the island. I saw two crashes, a minute or two after the fact, on that stretch that would likely have been caused by riders losing concentration and getting blown across the road into another rider. So while you will need to manage yourself, you should also keep an eye out for less experienced riders and pass wide - particularly on the second loop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was there in November for the full Iron. With my 120-ish pound weight, I had no trouble with the wind riding Hed tri-spokes. Other people on the course, however, was another story, but that comes with racing in a fatigued state. Keep your head up (at least once in a while ;-) and you should be fine.

Enjoy that aquarium-like swim!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: HIM Cozumel wheel choices [jimmyh49aus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimmyh49aus wrote:
I'm 5'11" and 170 and as above went with the 90mm front and back for the full last year, with no problems.

One piece of advice is to stay alert on the east side of the island. I saw two crashes, a minute or two after the fact, on that stretch that would likely have been caused by riders losing concentration and getting blown across the road into another rider. So while you will need to manage yourself, you should also keep an eye out for less experienced riders and pass wide - particularly on the second loop.

I did the 70.3 in 2017 and there was hardly any wind, at least compared to what is usual. As mentioned above, the wind you will encounter is mostly on the east side. For the 70.3, this is in the first half of the course so you dont have to fight it when you are really tired.
Quote Reply
Re: HIM Cozumel wheel choices [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone, this will be my first out of the country travel for a Tri and just want to make sure I'm setup as best as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like you have made up your mind but I was going to suggest the shallower wheel. I did the full on an H3 Deep and regret it. If going back I would run a 404/808.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's really hard to tell. The wind and direction can change making a 90 a poor choice. Or it could be calm making it a great one. Gauging it based on a particular past year experience wouldn't seem to be a reliable to way to make a choice (just like gauging 2019 swim time on any other year isn't reliable). In 2016, a disc would have been fine

Keep an eye on wind guru cozumel. what you really want to see is wind from the south, as the eastern side is the only real exposed side.

I'l be there again this year (knock wood). with a 60/90 setup. IMO the difference between 60 and 90 front is negligible at my speed, and the 60 is just more versatile (i've had enough races with a squirelly HED 3 front). It's not a place you can get a different wheel easily should conditions warrant. My .02
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jun 28, 19 14:15
Quote Reply