Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I want to hear your thoughts on college. [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak to the career prospects you might have with the 2-year AAS degree vs the 4-year program you have been pursuing (what field?). But, where I am we often find students 'sticking it out' in college without actually wanting to be here. Particularly in engineering, it is a pretty tough slog to grind through to a BS if your heart is not in it. Some students make it, others flame out.

I wish I had a better sense for what ultimately comes of the students who do stick it out, but don't enjoy their studies. I'm sure a BS in engineering ultimately opens doors, and continues to open doors throughout a career. And, if you don't like the technical work of engineering, many (most?) engineers eventually drift into something else over their careers. So, maybe it is worth it to just swallow hard and gut it out. Unless you definitely see yourself on the path to flaming out.

Your family obligations put you in a different category, as well. Unlike most of the students I work with, these decisions are not just about you. It's also difficult to figure out how to balance career & personal issues. Good luck finding the right path that will work for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
wesley wrote:
1. Yes.
2. Yes, both BS and MS, then went to a different school for a PhD.
3. Absolutely. Studied engineering; there's really not a non-college way to pursue this field. Also, understand that I'm part of the lunatic fringe; never really left and have spent my career as a Professor. So, since I'm in the business, I am interested to see where you ultimately would like to take the discussion.
Yeah, I’ll lay it out more openly now that I’ve been able to read a lot more responses.

I’m currently enrolled in an in-state, public four year university. I wanted to love it, I wanted to feel motivated and passionate, but that has all flown out of me as I’ve gone through the schooling that I have.

There was one quarter where we had some life happen and I ended up missing two exams, and my credit completion percentage dropped, which affected my financial aid. My wife and I have to pull out of savings for my tuition, and it hurts.

I have a family, and want to be able to work and support them, and provide a good life, but I won’t chase money for the heck of chasing money. If I make 50-70k, and my wife is making the same, I’d be thrilled.

So i’m at this intersection. Do I decide to keep pouring my time into something I don’t feel passionate about, and has the potential to financially set us back quite a bit, or do I look into a 2-year AAS degree that is $1000 a quarter max, that would get me out of school quicker, and with less money invested?

The 2 year that i’m looking at is an AAS of CAD Design and Drafting. I’ve been using Solidworks for 7 years now and AutoCAD for 3, so I have experience and love this. Yes the earning potential isn’t quite what a 4-year degree might net you, but from the research I’ve done it’s not a worthless degree so to speak.

So that’s where i’m at and what i’m struggling through.

I suggest talking to your professors and the dean of students. See if you can make up those missed exams.

Most schools will work with you, if there is good reason, and it sounds like you have a valid one. I taught part time for a decade and I saw many scenarios that I think many students would be surprised that the faculty really does care, behind the scenes.
Quote Reply
Re: I want to hear your thoughts on college. [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I knew some of that ;)

I think you've probably done alright :)

Could you have made more? How much more do you need or want?

I'm the same age, have been self employed but went corporate and quite unexpectedly enjoyed it. Have done / do the landlord thing, been sued, had an apartment burn down.

We have moved around but I think we want to move again, go overseas, allow the kids to travel.

There is no way I have 100% optimised my earnings, but I can't lose sleep over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
1. Did you go to college?
2. If you did, did you graduate from the first college you attended?
3. Regardless of if you did or didn't go to college, are you happy with the path you chose?

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes and no. w/ the benefit of hindsight i would have chosen a "better" major (i majored in history) and worked quite a bit harder (i coasted). but i am where i am today because of the path i have been on, so i am happy about that.
Quote Reply
Re: I want to hear your thoughts on college. [wesley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suggest definitely pursuing your AAAS in CAD for now, but leave the door open to pursue a BA/BS in a related degree (not necessarily in Engineering) in the future (near).

Go to any online job search sites (Indeed, Linkedin, etc.) and just look at jobs that might interest you in the future and see what their minimum education requirements are. Maybe the jobs you'll see are trade jobs that require some other certification besides a degree.

Having at least a BA/BS in something/anything opens doors to many positions. 10-15 years from now, you may regret not spending the extra 2-3 years to get a Bachelor's Degree (or other certification), and the 2-3 years would seem such a short amount of time as compared to how you see it now.

Good luck!

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Last edited by: Smil'n Hawaiian: Jun 20, 19 10:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
The 2 year that i’m looking at is an AAS of CAD Design and Drafting. I’ve been using Solidworks for 7 years now and AutoCAD for 3, so I have experience and love this. Yes the earning potential isn’t quite what a 4-year degree might net you, but from the research I’ve done it’s not a worthless degree so to speak.

I can only speak to the A/E industry. I know hundreds of architects and engineers. I've worked for and with dozens of firms. Over the last 20 years I've met 2 people who are just drafters, with a 2 year degree.

CAD really changed the industry. What used to take a team of drafters 40 years ago takes 1 person at a computer. What could be done by a drafter is now done by a interns/"aspiring architects" or EI/EIT/Engineering graduates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:

Yeah, I’ll lay it out more openly now that I’ve been able to read a lot more responses.

I’m currently enrolled in an in-state, public four year university. I wanted to love it, I wanted to feel motivated and passionate, but that has all flown out of me as I’ve gone through the schooling that I have.

There was one quarter where we had some life happen and I ended up missing two exams, and my credit completion percentage dropped, which affected my financial aid. My wife and I have to pull out of savings for my tuition, and it hurts.

I have a family, and want to be able to work and support them, and provide a good life, but I won’t chase money for the heck of chasing money. If I make 50-70k, and my wife is making the same, I’d be thrilled.

So i’m at this intersection. Do I decide to keep pouring my time into something I don’t feel passionate about, and has the potential to financially set us back quite a bit, or do I look into a 2-year AAS degree that is $1000 a quarter max, that would get me out of school quicker, and with less money invested?

So that’s where i’m at and what i’m struggling through.

Ok, so your situation is different than the typical undergrad on campus trying to figure out what they want to do. Specifically, the difference is you have a family situation. That's a significant dependence and priority there that most undergrads don't have.

From a cost of education, what if you balance the community college, AA courses with the 4year degree? Meaning take some courses at the community college where presumably tuition is cheaper, then transfer the credits and still graduate with the paper from the 4-year institution. Maybe even graduate sooner. My undergrad roommate (pre-med) did this each summer - taking some of the more rigorous courses at the local community college over summers b/c they were easier, shorter, and he got his A's, and transferred them over and continued the Fall and Spring semesters at the 4 year school. Saved a bunch on a per-credit cost, and kept his GPA high for med school applications.

As far as what you like or want to do, I don't think you've answered. Those are using tools to an end, vs a career. Liking to use tools is a shallower answer from the big picture of what those tools are for. Aeronautical engineering? Architecture? Vehicle design? And that's what provides a deeper satisfaction. Part of a 4-year undergrad education allows you to develop and discover, deeply, what you want to do -- and then you can use the tools to get there, and gain a deeper satisfaction about what you're doing.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in a little bit of a similar position as you. Early sophomore year at my big state U I had to have surgery. I was swimming and playing water polo. It really messed with my season although the vasa trainer and I became BFFs while my lower body healed. It threw me into a big funk. I changed majors from EE to Econ. I signed up to study abroad as a red shirt year to just get away and heal since the pressure to swim was really high and my recovery was not as hoped.

I fell in love with the university overseas and transferred and got an Econ degree. It’s been good to me - but sometimes I think I should have stuck with the engineering. Although personally moving overseas alone at 19 was perhaps my best life decision as I really found myself there. So it’s a crap shoot.

I would think this could be a regrettable decision in a decade. Really examine why you are doing this - because you are overwhelmed? That happens. But long term you’re better to fight through temporary challenges. What will your family look like in 5 years and how will you be more fulfilled? I think you will have a lot more options with a 4 year degree- how much longer would it take you to finish the 4 year vs a 2 year since you’ve already started. Can you get a CAD certificate or something in the process of your 4 year so you could do that if you wanted?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like I will be the first to say No.
I choose the Navy at 18 and did 25 years retired and then 5 with MSC (Military Sealift Command) I compltely retired at 52.
I did go to multiple Navy schools and many different training forms.
My children did go to college so for them;

1.Yes
2.They both started at a 2yr school then transferred to 4yr "in state"
3.They seem to be, engineering and accounting, they are both off my payroll :-)
Quote Reply
Re: I want to hear your thoughts on college. [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Not sure if it is still the case, but in WA state, if you got your AA degree through a community college, you could take that and transfer into a 4 year university in-state, basically no questions asked.

The only place I know where you can't transfer credits into is Harvard. They don't take transfers period. Every other college takes the 2 years of community college as some kind of credits towards a degree.

Places like California have specific, explicit guides to do so. They say if you take X at American River College, and you pass, you get credits in Y at Sacramento State or Z at UC Davis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Yes
2. No - 2 years at the local university, then 3 more (I loved college) at the state university for my B.S. Then to grad school out of state.
3. Yes

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have made choices in your life, that have put you into a very difficult lifestyle. I think folks here have indicated that in some of your past threads.

Good luck. I have no real help as you need to decide is some pain now worth gains later.

For those who need a refresher of KB's story.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_P6595417/#p6595648

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...n_P6379384/#p6379384

Reading more from the first link above... These 2 posts of yours from there were some interesting forshadowing.

Quote:
There’s a lot of people saying this, and I want to respond to it.
I 100 percent agree with you. If I was the parent of someone wanting to get married at 19, I would be freaking out too. Neither of us are denying that we are young, or denying that there will be hardships. The difference is that we’ve put a lot more thought into this than many older adults we know who’ve gotten married. We sat with my parents, her parents, and all of the parents together. We talked to her grandparents, and we’ve talked to financial advisors. We’ve been working on a budget for moving out for nearly a year, and have been revising and updating it as plans change. We’ve prayed, we’ve asked for advice and help with knowledge and experience based things, and we’ve looked at school and finances. Is it the most common path? No, and we know that. As for how the familys are reacting... Her family has said that it’s not the plan that they would have chosen for her, but I am the (young) man that they would choose, and they know we can do it. Do they wish we would wait a couple of years? Yeah, and they’ve let us know. But they also know that if it’s going to happen soon then they would rather be involved and loving and supportive rather than alienate us and push us away. My family is convinced that without any doubt i’m going to be divorced and dropped out in a year, and they’ve let me know they don’t care about her at all (in those words) and if given the chance would object at our wedding and stand up and try to stop it. I understand that many people, most in fact, would probably not suggest it as the route to go. However, this isn’t a rash, spur of the moment, knee jerk reaction. This isn’t a means to get out of the house.

We’ve listened to concerns and encouraging comments both, but we know where this life is going for right now, and we will take anything that comes at us with as much grace and poise as we can.

So yeah, concerns have been and are being listened to, but this is where we are heading (:

and

Quote:
I didn’t have a deadline to get married, I didn’t have my whole life planned out at all. The only thing that I had my eyes set on from first grade was a BS Mech Eng, and anything else will happen as God sees fit. Fast forward to close to the end of high school, and this girl and I became best friends in our chemistry class. One day I caught myself scribbling her name by mine in a different class, and I thought, “what the hell?” So I thought, “how happy would I be...” and went, “holy shit I think I’d be really happy.” We’ve now been together for quite a while (not to insult or offfend those here who have been together for many years or decades (: ) I’ve thought about this, I’ve prayed about it, I e asked trusted mentor figures in my life for advice, and she and I talked about it together. We both felt as though we are going to end up following the path of marriage whether now or in 30 years. Which is where many people that I know, and here, ask the inevitable, “why not wait then?” First off, i would ask that too. Second, my answer to that question would be because we know it’s what is right for us. We know it’s going to bring hardships, and while life is bound to throw a hell of a lot at us, we have both individually and together gone through things in our own lives that have challenged, shaped, and grown us beyond belief. Financially, we have sat down and done the math, by ourselves, and with professionals. Tl;dr: we are moving forward with this because it is where we feel is right for us, and because at the end of the day no one can make this decision for us. I will listen to every persons advice that wishes to give it, and truly listen to hear, not to respond.

I added the bold above, but if you heart was set on being a Mech Eng from 1st grade, why stop pursuing that?

Good luck, I hope this somehow works out for you, but you have definitely chosen to stack the odds against yourself. Your best option might be to go pray and hope it works out.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Last edited by: DavHamm: Jun 21, 19 6:36
Quote Reply
Re: I want to hear your thoughts on college. [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:

I should add- I think an education should be for personal wealth and not to get a job. People who go to school only to “get a job” I think are going for the wrong reason.

Hmmm, I would pretty close to 100% disagree with this statement. Although I also think you should go to school in an area you are passionate about, you should be looking at the "get a job" side also.

My daughter is a Music major, she loves music and playing oboe, she is eyes wide open on her job future's and salary options. That said she is still pursuing her passion even knowing had she followed her other college option, neurology she would have had more money and better "job" .

I think not having the "to get a job" perspective leads to the graduate student in Greek Underwater Roman Basket weaving with goat intestines degree no job prospects and $300k in debt. situation.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's go all the way back:
1 - Yes
2 - No
3 - Yes, with caveats

And there is nothing wrong with an AA degree: it's what I have.

I started at an engineering school (civil) and quickly learned it was not for me. Transfer to the local Tech college and got my Associates in Industrial Electricity. The benefits to having that degree have been numerous, from boosting my resume to the top of the heap, as well as giving me 2000 hours credit of OJT to go toward my Journeyman's license.

Worked in the field, been in and out of industry in maintenance and controls, got my Master's License and started my own business, went back into industry, taught myself PLC's, and now I'm working for a system's integration company. Essentially, I worked my way into an engineering position without having all the schooling and debt. (I tell people I'm "Field Commissioned"...

Now, there were plenty of stumbles for me, and back-tracking, some of it caused by economics, some of it my own stupid doings. But I've worked myself into a pretty damn comfortable position, monetarily, at least for me.

I wish that I had gotten my bachelor's in EE, as my knowledge base has some holes to it, and I have a hard time utilizing unknown software and integrating new hardware sometimes, but I honestly enjoy what I do.

There are more paths out there to prosperity than the four year degree route. Don't be afraid to take a different trek, but also know that there will be times you wish you hadn't.

I tell every high schooler that I talk to to seriously consider an apprenticeship, or if not, to at least make sure any job they take provides for tuition reimbursement, and then let your employer pay for schooling. Take advantage of *all* of an employer's benefits.
- Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is your wife presently working? I've known couples to tag team degree programs. By all means get an AA, but realize that many possible avenues are nearly closed off to you if you don't have a 4-year degree. You have chosen a harder and narrower path. I hope it works out for you.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Jun 20, 19 18:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
I've been thinking about education a lot recently, but i want to hear other peoples opinions. Let's start off with this-

3. Regardless of if you did or didn't go to college, are you happy with the path you chose?

Let's start with those three, and then I want to talk about the answers and share some of my own thoughts.

-KB
1. Yes
2. Yes. Maritime, University, 4 yrs + 1 yr as an apprentice officer. Degree in marine engineering. Years later I went to physio college.
3. Yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
I've been thinking about education a lot recently, but i want to hear other peoples opinions. Let's start off with this-

Let's start with those three, and then I want to talk about the answers and share some of my own thoughts.

-KB
1. Yes. Straight out of high school to University of Calgary (as others have said, that's more or less equivalent to a state college in the USA)
2. Yes. B. Sc. in electrical engineering and then a master's degree.
3. Yes. Not without its ups and downs but it's been an amazing ride. I've been able to work with some of the best people in the world on some pretty cutting edge stuff. Unlike a lot of people I've been able to stay technical, by choice, for 30 years now, and it's been a solid diet of analog/digital/RF circuit design and firmware / software as well as doing overall system architecture for some really interesting consumer products.

Two year vs. four year:
In Canada, the title of "engineer" is a protected thing. You can't title yourself "engineer", or offer engineering consulting services, without being so licensed by the relevant local professional engineering association - similar to doctors etc. You have to take the four-year undergraduate program, get at least a couple of years of experience under the guidance of other PEs, and then pass a professional practice exam (ethics, business law etc). Some technical companies will not require many of their staff to have the full PE accreditation but in the oil and gas industry it's generally required. If you start your own consulting business and you wanted to call it "KB's Engineering Ltd." then it's a requirement for you to have both yourself and your company registered with the provincial regulator.

If you go to a technical school that offers two-year diploma programs, you can get an "xxxx engineering technologist" certificate, but it does not entitle you to call yourself an engineer, unless you go back in, do the upgrade courses (typically another three years because not everything carries over) and then pass the appropriate professional practice exam.

There are private technical schools such as DeVry Institute of Technology, but despite them styling themselves as "university", they are not accredited to confer B. Sc. degrees, at least in Canada, and so many graduates from those places end up getting a technologist job at least to start with. I've seen some people from there that were surprised and disappointed to learn that their (expensive) education was actually not equivalent to public universities' degree programs despite what the advertising told them.

On the one hand, going to the two year school now gets you out into the work force sooner but there will be a ceiling on your eventual career unless you upgrade your schooling later on. Doing the full B.Sc. degree all in one go is a lot more work but it will get your foot in the door in more places and to a higher level in the long run. One of the guys I went through my undergrad with, had four kids by the time he graduated. So it's not like it can't be done, irrespective of your family situation, but you will be a busy guy.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:

1. University.
2. Yes
3. Yes

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: I want to hear your thoughts on college. [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
jharris wrote:

I should add- I think an education should be for personal wealth and not to get a job. People who go to school only to “get a job” I think are going for the wrong reason.

Hmmm, I would pretty close to 100% disagree with this statement. Although I also think you should go to school in an area you are passionate about, you should be looking at the "get a job" side also.

My daughter is a Music major, she loves music and playing oboe, she is eyes wide open on her job future's and salary options. That said she is still pursuing her passion even knowing had she followed her other college option, neurology she would have had more money and better "job" .

I think not having the "to get a job" perspective leads to the graduate student in Greek Underwater Roman Basket weaving with goat intestines degree no job prospects and $300k in debt. situation.

In that regard, I agree with you. Although, the stellar people do make a great living at no matter what they do. That’s at the very pointy end. I try not to roll my eyes at all of the sport science majors and what not. I should mention that my college roommate was an art major, applied for a job at a university out of state for the summer and instead- they offered him a free masters program! He took it. Graduated and is now an art professor. Makes a decent buck doing what he loves. Still makes art and sells it in galleries.

It’s possible....

My comment initially was more about the desire to learn and want to learn. As I get older I appreciate good conversation and I think educated knowledgeable people offer that type of convo. On the flip side, a few drinks and a convo with a stripper can offer much different convo, but often also interesting. Lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Bear wrote:
Alright, so the general consensus, with a few exceptions, is that people who went to college found it worth it.

Now I want to add a question or two.

Do you see anything inherently “bad” about a two year AA degree? I know that earning potential is typically higher with a four year Bachelors degree, but it often comes at a much higher cost.

If you couldn’t afford a 4-year, is there anything wrong with a two year in your opinion?

What community colleges have a 2+2 agreement with your state university (2+2 Is an agreement that all credits from the 2 year transfer over). I would imagine that Spokane community has that agreement with EWU, and WSU, and probably

Confirm that then, if you want to go back to the university, you won't be out any credits. If not you still get your Associates.

Honestly, and I work at a 4 year, I would encourage every future student to do this. From a student loan/financial burden perspective it just makes sense.
Quote Reply
Re: I want to hear your thoughts on college. [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
Koala Bear wrote:
Alright, so the general consensus, with a few exceptions, is that people who went to college found it worth it.

Now I want to add a question or two.

Do you see anything inherently “bad” about a two year AA degree? I know that earning potential is typically higher with a four year Bachelors degree, but it often comes at a much higher cost.

If you couldn’t afford a 4-year, is there anything wrong with a two year in your opinion?

What community colleges have a 2+2 agreement with your state university (2+2 Is an agreement that all credits from the 2 year transfer over). I would imagine that Spokane community has that agreement with EWU, and WSU, and probably

Confirm that then, if you want to go back to the university, you won't be out any credits. If not you still get your Associates.

Honestly, and I work at a 4 year, I would encourage every future student to do this. From a student loan/financial burden perspective it just makes sense.

Couldn’t agree more. I would advise everyone not on a full ride to do this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Yes. Started going to Junior College in California out of the Marines back in 2002. Was working full-time in a physically demanding job as essentially a technical laborer. I was operating various drilling rigs to collect earth samples. The rigs were mounted on trucks, which meant traveling all over California. This did not lend to a very balanced life. Work took priority, life and school took a backseat. Dropped out of JC after about 30 credits, just worked until 2007. From 2007-2009, I was able to resume JC while working at a less physically demanding job that was in the same industry. Field technician collecting earth samples again, but now doing maintenance and installation of site remediation equipment where our company focused on cleaning up dirty, contaminated sites. This job lasted till late 2008 when the economy slowed. I was let go because the company had plenty of degreed people (geologists and civil engineers) that could do the labor. From late 2010-2012 I went to a state school while I was unemployed (working part-time, with support from my then wife) to finally finish my civil engineering degree. Took far too many needless classes and could have finished earlier, but hindsight is 20/20. Was fortunate to meet my boss at school since he was a lecturer for my soil mechanics lab. Started as an intern my last semester, hired right after graduation, and then started on my Master's soon after. Worked in geotechnical engineering and earned a Master's in Civil Engineering, with emphasis in Geotech, so everything was finally coming together. Now I'm searching for an opportunity to pursue a PhD in Geotech because I miss being in school and engineering just happens to be a passion of mine. I got lucky in that regard.

2. Nope! All things final...attended about 5 JC's and a state school for my BS. A different state school for my MS.

3. Extremely happy. I can't emphasize how important earning just the BS was in moving up in my career. I always had a chip on my shoulder when I was still working on my degree because I was treated as a laborer, even though I could keep up intellectually with everyone. That chip fell off when I finally earned a degree and I took advantage of the opportunity it gave me. I had numerous setbacks while trying to finish my BS, but I learned from all of them. I'm a licensed Professional Engineer now and I'm taking the Geotech Engineer exam in November. After that, I can kind of pick what I want to do. It's about time I open my own engineering firm.

Do you see anything inherently “bad” about a two year AA degree? Yeah, unfortunately, if you want to do any kind of engineering and be licensed, you need a 4-year degree. Not really any way around it. You can be a CAD drafter with 2-years, but not a lot of vertical movement, career-wise.

In my opinion, if you want to do engineering, go to the least expensive accredited school and take max units per semester. Grind it out. I went to a commuter state school and a slightly better state polytechnic school for my MS. I work with engineers who went to Cal Tech, Texas A&M, Georgia Tech, Purdue, etc...and I do the same work they do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you don't live with your parents and are financially independent of them, You should be able to get federal grants pretty easily.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: I want to hear your thoughts on college. [Newduguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your last point is true

Unless you are looking at a specific school with a specific outcome or market in mind it rarely makes a difference

In the UK chartered status is what determines the value of an engineer and in the end you can get that whether you go to oxbridge or portsmouth

Bachelors are a minimum requirement for any real progression. The lack of one will become more of an issue the further you get. An exception would be a professional qualification done whilst on the job e.g. Tax or accountancy
Quote Reply

Prev Next