Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Slavery reparations - The dem's plan to win in 2020 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
Trump looks better everyday;

"The question of slavery reparations for black Americans was the subject of a fiery and emotional House Judiciary Committee hearing Wednesday as Democrats called for measures to address Americaā€™s ā€œoriginal sinā€ -- while Republicans described such payments as an ā€œinjusticeā€ and ā€œalmost certainly unconstitutional.ā€

But why stop here? Were any of your ancestors Jewish, Irish or Italian? If they were, you know they were discriminated against, you should be able to cash in too. Let's pay up and then all of America's sins will be magically washed away.

https://www.foxnews.com/...-slavery-reparations

Anyone in favor of reparations for slavery has to not only ignore US history where over 600,000 soldiers died in a war to end slavery, they have to ignore World history where slavery existed long before slaves were ever brought to America and continued to exist after the US outlawed slavery. In the 1700's if you had a big boat and you wanted to go into the African slave trade, you went and bought slaves. Guess who you bought them from, right, you bought them from other Africans.

So if anyone owes black Americans anything because of slavery, it's the African slave countries where their ancestors came from.

Democrats, please don't go down this road. You will lose half of the voters who want to vote for you.

Ahh yes, who is ultimately responsible for Jim Crow is *reads your post* African slave countries.
Quote Reply
Re: Slavery reparations - The dem's plan to win in 2020 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like a great way to turn off black voters who favor reparations and then don't receive them.

Also, let's say a bill was passed to pay reparations to those who could prove they're descended from slaves. Presumably it could be quite hard to prove, further frustrating black Americans?

The idea seems bad from so many angles, even if the concept may be noble.
Quote Reply
Re: Slavery reparations - The dem's plan to win in 2020 [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

"The question of slavery reparations for black Americans was the subject of a fiery and emotional House Judiciary Committee hearing Wednesday as Democrats called for measures to address Americaā€™s ā€œoriginal sinā€ -- while Republicans described such payments as an ā€œinjusticeā€ and ā€œalmost certainly unconstitutional.ā€

But why stop here? Were any of your ancestors Jewish, Irish or Italian? If they were, you know they were discriminated against, you should be able to cash in too. Let's pay up and then all of America's sins will be magically washed away.

How Exactly would this work? Who decides how much each person gets and where does it come from? Does each person with African American ancestry get the same percentage or is different based upon lineage?

I have no freaking idea and neither does anyone else. If there was a plan surely somebody would have shared it with us by now right?

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Slavery reparations - The dem's plan to win in 2020 [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Sweeney wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

Anyone in favor of reparations for slavery has to not only ignore US history where over 600,000 soldiers died in a war to end slavery, they have to ignore World history where slavery existed long before slaves were ever brought to America and continued to exist after the US outlawed slavery. In the 1700's if you had a big boat and you wanted to go into the African slave trade, you went and bought slaves. Guess who you bought them from, right, you bought them from other Africans.

So if anyone owes black Americans anything because of slavery, it's the African slave countries where their ancestors came from.

Democrats, please don't go down this road. You will lose half of the voters who want to vote for you.

Ahh yes, who is ultimately responsible for Jim Crow is *reads your post* African slave countries.

WOW. I didn't see that coming. Well played sir.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Slavery reparations - The dem's plan to win in 2020 [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a stupid idea!

Wasn't it noble enough when we went to war to end slavery. Did any other country fight a war to end slavery!

And don't anybody give me the BS that the Civil War was over state's rights; the right they were fighting over was the right to own other people!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! šŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Slavery reparations - The dem's plan to win in 2020 [PrinceMax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PrinceMax wrote:
I'm starting to think the Dems want a civil war. Slavery was practiced by Native Americans long before the Europeans came along. So is this America's "original sin" or are we only counting when whites owned slaves?

I'm trying to figure out how America's "original sin" isn't wiping out the Native American population and stealing all their land.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Slavery reparations - The dem's plan to win in 2020 [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
PrinceMax wrote:
I'm starting to think the Dems want a civil war. Slavery was practiced by Native Americans long before the Europeans came along. So is this America's "original sin" or are we only counting when whites owned slaves?

I'm trying to figure out how America's "original sin" isn't wiping out the Native American population and stealing all their land.
From what I see in the media our original sin is slavery. If that's the case we share that sin with every race, culture and nation.
Quote Reply
Re: Slavery reparations - The dem's plan to win in 2020 [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
On one hand there is not any sense at all in reparations. On the other hand we also know that minorities were systematically excluded from accumulating wealth for a very long time. On another hand laws have been in place for decades to prevent that. On another hand we know those laws have been repeatedly ignored in a lot of areas for a very long time. On another hand that seems to have become much more rare over time.

We also know that the most vile racists found a home in both parties and in all walks of life through the 60's.

Even if you did think they were 'deserved', I don't think you could implement reparations in any way that would actually address the claimed concerns

The problem, as you illustrate above, is that no one can even articulate that for which reparations would be paid. I thought this was about the "original sin" of slavery? If so, that had nothing to do with what happened in the 1960s. If we are talking about what happened prior to the Civil Rights movement, well, pardon me, but the Civil Rights Movement, the Civil Rights Act, and affirmative action were already put in place to address that.

Who is going to decide who is entitled to reparations? How will that be determined? There were black slave owners, we cannot ignore that. How do we trace the lineage back to ensure only descendants of actual slaves are paid?

Also, where from where does the money come? Tax dollars? Is that "fair?" My descendants did not even land in the country until after slavery is abolished and they (Irish) were herded into ghettos for decades. So ... why am I paying for the reparations? What about the blacks who are not direct descendants of slaves - why on earth should their tax dollars be used to pay reparations?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Slavery reparations - The dem's plan to win in 2020 [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
Meanwhile, former NFL player and conservative author Burgess Owens pointed to the Democratic Party as historically responsible for injustices against black Americans, from slavery to the Ku Klux Klan to the literacy rates for black Americans in Democratic states and cities.
"How about the Democratic Party pay for all the misery brought to my race, and those who after they learn our history decide to stay there ... and every white American, Republican or Democrat that feels guilty because of their white skin should need to pony up also -- that way we can get past this reparation and recognize that this country has given us greatness," he said.

Wow, so Fox News found a NFL player we are supposed to listen to? That is new.

You Donkeys really hate being reminded of your evil past, don't you?

Quote Reply
Re: Slavery Repetitions - The dem's plan to win in 2020 [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
JSA wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

I don't mean to trivialize slavery. I think the idea of reparations is absurd. Clear enough?

It is amazing how easy it is NOT to trivialize slavery...yet... you felt the need to go there to make your point. Don't worry I am sure many will make the same point...something about ignorance and company?

You think he was trivializing slavery? Holy shit, snowflake, get a fucking life. How many Social Justice Warrior points are you getting for these posts?

JSA this really isn't that hard. Tell your black friends that the problem with reparations is that it would require compensating Irish immigrants. See how that goes over with them. There are a hundred reasons why reparations are untenable. That isn't one of them. And for that matter neither is, "because that would be blacks cashing in."

I seem to have touched a nerve with you. I have no idea why.

No, it really isn't that hard. The "nerve" you seem to have touched is watching the perpetually offended engage in asinine hyperbole. There is nothing in the original OP that trivializes slavery or in his response. You appear to have nothing of substance to contribute to the conversation, so, you have resorted to trying to find some way to attack the messenger.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

Thank you! Exceptionally well said.

Quote Reply
Re: Slavery reparations - The dem's plan to win in 2020 [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Seems like a great way to turn off black voters who favor reparations and then don't receive them.

Also, let's say a bill was passed to pay reparations to those who could prove they're descended from slaves. Presumably it could be quite hard to prove, further frustrating black Americans?

The idea seems bad from so many angles, even if the concept may be noble.

Exactly! In addition, from where is the money coming? Taxpayer dollars. That means you would have huge groups of African-American taxpayers, who either are not descended from slaves or who cannot prove they are, paying a portion of these reparations. How on earth does that make sense???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If what we as a people are supposed to do is make amends for the wrongs that happened to a class of people, then we need to get on the world stage and start having about half the planet paying everyone of Jewish ancestry. Talk about a people who have been screwed over since Biblical times, damn!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
Meanwhile, former NFL player and conservative author Burgess Owens pointed to the Democratic Party as historically responsible for injustices against black Americans, from slavery to the Ku Klux Klan to the literacy rates for black Americans in Democratic states and cities.
"How about the Democratic Party pay for all the misery brought to my race, and those who after they learn our history decide to stay there ... and every white American, Republican or Democrat that feels guilty because of their white skin should need to pony up also -- that way we can get past this reparation and recognize that this country has given us greatness," he said.

Hmm, so which party is this guy in? Or this guy right here? Hmm, why is it a state holiday here? Or this guy defending statues to traitors loved slavery.

Maybe Republicans should look at the present before they judge someone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:

Hmm, so which party is this guy in? Or this guy right here? Hmm, why is it a state holiday here? Or this guy defending statues to traitors loved slavery.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:

Do you think Reparations are a good idea and how would you implement it?

Is this something you want the Dems focusing on going into the election cycle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:

No, Democrats willing acknowledge their racist past and Republicans current racism. I donā€™t know why you are saying democrats hate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:

No, Democrats willing acknowledge their racist past and Republicans current racism. I donā€™t know why you are saying democrats hate it.

I'm talking to you - the butthurt one in this thread.

You stupid fucks are the reason Trump was elected the first time and you are doing your damndest to get him reelected. Congrats.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cannot wait to see AOC explain to her District - which is 48% Hispanic and 9% black - why they should be paying reparations. I would actually pay admission to attend that town hall meeting.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, Democrats willing acknowledge their racist past

Like the Governor of Virginia!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elizabeth Warren has said, "wait a minute" "my people need to get in on this too" She is talking about her direct Native American Ancestry.

The ideas with any substance at all seem to be related to tax breaks, business incentives etc. and not a direct cash payment of any kind.

This is such a dead issue with no chance of passing and clearly just grandstanding by the folks pushing it. As the OP said, what a plan to win in 2020. Four more years of Trump...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:

You stupid fucks are the reason Trump was elected the first time and you are doing your damndest to get him reelected. Congrats.

Wow, really struck a nerve there. Republicans hate when you point out their racism.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:
chaparral wrote:
JSA wrote:

Wow, really struck a nerve there. Republicans hate when you point out their racism.

Good job, Donkey. Good job.

Quote Reply
Re: Slavery reparations - The dem's plan to win in 2020 [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ACE wrote:
Elizabeth Warren has said, "wait a minute" "my people need to get in on this too" She is talking about her direct Native American Ancestry.

The ideas with any substance at all seem to be related to tax breaks, business incentives etc. and not a direct cash payment of any kind.

This is such a dead issue with no chance of passing and clearly just grandstanding by the folks pushing it. As the OP said, what a plan to win in 2020. Four more years of Trump...

I really hope this gains traction. I really do.

I am going to repeat what I wrote earlier. AOC's District - 48% Hispanic, 9% black. Please, please, please push for reparations! I would pay money to attend the town hall meeting of AOC explaining this to her constituents! This is THE MOST effective way for the GOP to gain the Hispanic vote!

Quote Reply

Prev Next