Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What are you reading? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
fierceSun wrote:
The Murderbot series.

Very fun and captivating, but the books are short so I'm burning through them too fast and will have to find something new soon.

They are good. Makes you want them to be longer.

I was curious if anyone else around here had heard of them. I only found them in a round about way. Have been waiting (years now) for the 3rd book of the King Killer Chronicles to come out and in a recent interview Patrick Rothfuss mentioned having enjoyed the Murderbot series which piqued my interest

Halfway through the last book and already sad that it will be ending soon.
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recently finished
The Flight Attendant not that bad, ending was strangely quick

The Zoo Keepers Wife - highly recommend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Illustrated History of the Roman Empire - Because those who don't know history are bound to repeat it. Of course those who DO know history are bound to have to watch as the people who don't repeat it.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:

Just started “The Silk Roads, a new history of the world”

loved this. Prisoners of Geography also great.
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are interested in these things

The plimsoll sensation is fascinating as it impacted trade
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again for the tip about Smolin's book. I picked it up on your recommendation and just finished it.

I thought that the first third or so was pretty watered down for the lay reader. But even though he appears to go out of his way to avoid heavy maths, he gets satisfyingly deeper into his subjects as the book progresses

Finally, the last section, where he discusses his "causal theory of views", was really thought provoking. Basically, his theory suggests that space is an emergent property of fundamental time and energy. And, that resonates with some of my own ideas on the subject.

I intend to follow up by reading a few of his references cited and delve a bit deeper into his research.

EDIT: Lest anyone accuse me of illusions of grandeur, I'm merely an Oompa Loompa of Science, not an actual Physicist. :-)

Cheers.

-Mike

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: May 17, 19 11:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just read Rebecca Solnit's Hope in the Dark over the last couple of days. Solnit is a progressive activist & this book is about activism and not losing sight of the progress that's occurred, even when short of the larger goal and even when new problems manifest themselves. She's a masterful writer and what I loved about this book is how she calls out the fringe left's tactics & unrealistic approaches, advocating for consensus and working with those who have like goals, even if they're thought of by some on the extremes as enemies (i.e. environmental activists working with ranchers they might not fully agree with, etc.). It's damn good.

I also finished up Four Hour Work Week, about 7 years later than everyone else. Although I picked up a few good tips, I'm shocked at how over-written this book is. The concepts could have been distilled down to something 1/4 the length it is.

And from here I'll be reading a bunch of liberation/queer/black/progressive/eastern orthodox theology for a while to help with a side project I'm working on. Not everyone's cup of tea, but super interesting for a nerd like me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generation Of Swine - Hunter S. Thompson

The Heart of the World - Ian Baker

Empires of Sand - David Ball
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's funny because I've been listening to the 4 hour work week
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't read heavy shit. I go for light entertainment 90% of the time.

The Colours of All The Cattle
About the 17th installment of The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith. Pure delight.

French Exit by Patrick DeWitt, author of The Sisters Brothers which was made into a movie laat year.

I make exceptions for true stories. This one is heartbreaking.

Say Nothing: A true story of murder and memory in Northern Ireland by Patrick Radden Keefe
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [Furiosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Relive Box

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not reading, but listening: Le Carre's "A Perfect Spy", read by Michael Jayston.

Over the last four days, I drove over 2000 miles (BC 2 AK), so I had plenty of time to listen to this 21-hour audiobook.

Recommended (with caveats). "A Perfect Spy" has a lot of complex character development and is not always easy to follow. But it is a masterful book and Jayston is an excellent reader. If you're a Le Carre fan and have the time, this is worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm continuing on my pursuit of all the Pulitzer Prize winning novels in non-fiction, history and biography.

Currently on "In our Image: America's Empire in the Philippines" which is interesting to me having lived there and married a Fiipina.

Next up is "Lord's of Finance: The Bankers who broke the world".

As part of the Biography winners, I want to read a biography of every U.S President. They are great for not only reading about the men who became President but also how they dealt with all the world issues going on during their terms. First up is Ron Chernow's biography of Washington. I'll be reading the President's in order.
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About to start "The River is Doubt" which is a biography focused on Teddy Roosevelt and his crew tackling the Amazon River post 1912 election defeat. After wrapping up "The Big Burn" which is heavily focused on his presidency it's an excellent next step. After that I can see jumping into Edmund Morrises Roosevelt biography.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: What are you reading? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just started newest John connolly

Just finished the fellini case. It was fantastic

Continuing with adaptive markets on audible
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't read a book other than to my kids at night for about 2 years.

Favourites are Sandra Boynton - Barnyard Dance and Spooky Pookie

Now getting into Dr Seuss - Hop on Pop, The Grinch, and others.

For myself I just started re-reading the Harry Potter series.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want my kids to be old enough for Philip pullman

In the meantime I'm stuck with digger the dog, the grufalo and the cat in the hat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Winners Take All.

So far, fantastic.
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [treimink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just started today on my two flights home - “Judgment of Paris - California vs. France and the historic 1976 Paris tasting that revolutionized wine”.

Really good. I’m already halfway through it.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [fierceSun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fierceSun wrote:
slowguy wrote:
fierceSun wrote:
The Murderbot series.

Very fun and captivating, but the books are short so I'm burning through them too fast and will have to find something new soon.

I was curious if anyone else around here had heard of them. I only found them in a round about way. Have been waiting (years now) for the 3rd book of the King Killer Chronicles to come out and in a recent interview Patrick Rothfuss mentioned having enjoyed the Murderbot series which piqued my interest

Murderbot is awesome. Can't wait for the next one (a full novel).

I'm currently reading Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse #8) and listening to Expeditionary Force (Book 2 of 7) by Craig Alanson. Both are good.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Listening to John connolly, one before the most recent so I can catch up
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
fierceSun wrote:
slowguy wrote:
fierceSun wrote:
The Murderbot series.

Murderbot is awesome. Can't wait for the next one (a full novel).

I'm currently reading Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse #8) and listening to Expeditionary Force (Book 2 of 7) by Craig Alanson. Both are good.

I didn't know a full Murderbot novel was coming, that is awesome!

In my effort to not have to pick out new books I've started the first of the ten books of Ian M Banks The Culture series.
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
East of West volume one, a comic by hickman, which is fantastic.
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [WilliG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dead Lucky: Life After Death on Mount Everest

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply

Prev Next