Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Dodgeball - dehumanizing tool of oppression?
Quote | Reply
Thanks Canada!

• The playground game 'reinforces the five faces of oppression' identified as exploitation, marginalization, powerlessness, cultural imperialism and violence

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/...researchers-say.html
Quote Reply
Re: Dodgeball - dehumanizing tool of oppression? [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some things just don't need studying. Dodgeball is pretty fucking high on that list.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder what they'd say about "smear the queer" which along with dodgeball and kickball were the staples of recess when I was kid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Researchers interviewed middle-school students about their physical education classes and say the overwhelming feeling was that students hated dodgeball.

Students hate PE. Doesn't matter what they're doing.

'If one thing were to come out of this it would be for P.E. teachers to look at their curriculums and look for balance,' she said. 'And that could mean dropping games and including other activities: outdoor education, fitness, gymnastics, aquatics.'

Because students who don't like dodgeball are going to enjoying running laps on the track and performing routines on the parallel bars? ("Suzy is so slow we all lapped her!" "Jimmy is so fat he couldn't even get up onto the bars!") How do you offer "aquatics" at schools that don't have a swimming pool? (Not to mention the body issues kids have and trying to get them to wear swim suits in front of their classmates once they hit junior high.)

They'll simply have to eliminate PE classes. And anything else that could embarrass a student. (I was a terrible speller. I wish they'd never had spelling bees at my school.)

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were 3 guys in my grade that could throw those little red balls a ton. There were probably 4 or 5 guys that consistently took those balls to the face about 30 seconds in and then sat out the rest of the game.

What were those 4 or 5 guys guys learning?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dodgeball does suck.
Quote Reply
Re: Dodgeball - dehumanizing tool of oppression? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
There were 3 guys in my grade that could throw those little red balls a ton. There were probably 4 or 5 guys that consistently took those balls to the face about 30 seconds in and then sat out the rest of the game.

To duck
Quote Reply
Re: Dodgeball - dehumanizing tool of oppression? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball!!

Last edited by: orphious: Jun 9, 19 16:47
Quote Reply
Re: Dodgeball - dehumanizing tool of oppression? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
I wonder what they'd say about "smear the queer" which along with dodgeball and kickball were the staples of recess when I was kid.

Yup. Only thing I'd add to that was shirts vs skins. I'm guessing you don't see that anymore either.

Let's not forget that by kickball rules (at least when i played at school) you were out if someone threw the ball at you and hit you while you were running the bases. Risky move if you missed, as that meant extra bases.

I read some official kickball rules just now to check up on the "status" and they don't mention being out by a thrown ball. It does mention you can tag someone out though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

I was one of the kids thrown at. I enjoyed the hell out of it because when you catch the ball, and I did, the thrower is out.
Quote Reply
Re: Dodgeball - dehumanizing tool of oppression? [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
j p o wrote:

I was one of the kids thrown at. I enjoyed the hell out of it because when you catch the ball, and I did, the thrower is out.

Yeah but Willie and Bruce couldn't catch. So they got lit up, every single time.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The quality and thoughtfulness of responses in the LetsRun thread put this one to shame.
Quote Reply
Re: Dodgeball - dehumanizing tool of oppression? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
'If one thing were to come out of this it would be for P.E. teachers to look at their curriculums and look for balance,' she said. 'And that could mean dropping games and including other activities: outdoor education, fitness, gymnastics, aquatics.'

Essentially, it sounds like these researchers want to generally get rid of competition in phys ed. I'm shocked. Blue ribbons for everyone.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Dodgeball - dehumanizing tool of oppression? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

Essentially, it sounds like these researchers want to generally get rid of competition in phys ed. I'm shocked. Blue ribbons for everyone.

Slowguy always eager to find the slippery slope in any debate. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My school has a pool and swimming is one of the units the kids have for a quarter. The kids HATE it. A ton don’t swim and take a zero for the quarter. They do play dodgeball a lot. I guess you can’t win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

I was a pitcher back in school and had a flamethrower of a fastball. I loved dodgeball in PE. The sweet sound a dodgeball makes upon contact with a human being brings a smile to my face. Bonus points if the other team was skins and you caused welts. 👍👍

I’m generally not a sadistic person and I’m anti-bullying but dodgeball was awesome.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Bumble Bee wrote:
j p o wrote:

Yeah but Willie and Bruce couldn't catch. So they got lit up, every single time.

I was Willie & Bruce combined. It's a good thing I had contacts instead of glasses.
Quote Reply
Re: Dodgeball - dehumanizing tool of oppression? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
j p o wrote:

I was a pitcher back in school and had a flamethrower of a fastball. I loved dodgeball in PE. The sweet sound a dodgeball makes upon contact with a human being brings a smile to my face. Bonus points if the other team was skins and you caused welts. 👍👍

I’m generally not a sadistic person and I’m anti-bullying but dodgeball was awesome.

x1000. I f'ing loved dodgeball. We had way more than 3 guys that could play, and everyone took their share of shots to the face and body. Well, maybe some people had different "shares", but it happened to everyone. One of my favorite memories was my 2nd grade male teacher getting out there and playing at 100% -- with the little red balls. That was something.

I loved competition. I had a high pain tolerance. I never quit. I certainly wasn't alone in that regard. I'm not sure if dodgeball taught me that, or just helped me learn and experience those things about myself, but they've been pretty instrumental in the rest of my life.
Last edited by: SH: Jun 10, 19 4:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I was a pitcher back in school and had a flamethrower of a fastball.

I was too, but I hated dodgeball. I was kind of a nerd/geek at that time, the kind of guy who got picked on. Which is why I hated dodgeball, but it is a great vehicle for sadism against weaker kids.

I came into my own in baseball when the coach gut super pissed off at all our pitchers because they were sucking, and his rationale was "let's put the geek in, he can't do any worse than you pussies." Then no one could get a hit off me. Actually I didn't have a great fastball, but my natural fastball is a slider (by accident), which is really effective at that age.

By high school I was a jock and 6'3", and no longer got picked on. But I don't credit dodgeball, but organized sports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Nothing fails like success because we don't learn from it. We learn only from failure. - Kenneth Boulding

Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly. - Robert F. Kennedy
Quote Reply
Re: Dodgeball - dehumanizing tool of oppression? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I was too, but I hated dodgeball. I was kind of a nerd/geek at that time, the kind of guy who got picked on. Which is why I hated dodgeball, but it is a great vehicle for sadism against weaker kids.

I came into my own in baseball when the coach gut super pissed off at all our pitchers because they were sucking, and his rationale was "let's put the geek in, he can't do any worse than you pussies." Then no one could get a hit off me. Actually I didn't have a great fastball, but my natural fastball is a slider (by accident), which is really effective at that age.

By high school I was a jock and 6'3", and no longer got picked on. But I don't credit dodgeball, but organized sports.

I was skinny in high school but I could throw a fucking ball. My favorite part of dodgeball wasn't pummeling the weaker kids but pummeling the big doofus football player types. I'd light them up with a dodgeball and they'd first look at me like "Wait until we get back to the locker room or after school and I'm gonna punch you" but then they actually kind of respect the skinny kid for wailing on them. Same went for when I played lacrosse. I wasn't technically that great at it but I had a canon for a shot that was pretty accurate. So there was some respect that went with that when I otherwise had no idea what I was doing half the time. Get me ball and let me throw it really hard at the goal/goalie.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a friend that did a master level thesis on the psychological effects of athletic ability in kids and how it shaped their friend groups and instilled life long confidence in them.

That was dodgeball and all sports in the 4-8th grade range for me. I was good at sports so immediately I was one of the cool kids. Sports, including dodgeball, was used a means to sort out the kids and put you in your social group. If you were not good at sports, there were other groups to be a part of, but the coveted group of young males were the ones owning the playground be it tag, smear the queer, kill the man, dodgeball, kickball or any other made up game.

To take away competitive sports for young kids will be a disservice in my view. Kids need a way to distinguish themselves at a young age and for some its sports. For others it is music, being good at school or being really good looking. Or we could just refuse to acknowledge anyone's differences and force all kids into the same, sterile, neutered box where no one is good at anything and no one is bad at anything. "yes kids, you are all special"

As the little evil dude in The Incredibles said...." I will make a world where we are all special, and if everyone is special, then no one is. "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
trail wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I was skinny in high school but I could throw a fucking ball. My favorite part of dodgeball wasn't pummeling the weaker kids but pummeling the big doofus football player types. I'd light them up with a dodgeball and they'd first look at me like "Wait until we get back to the locker room or after school and I'm gonna punch you" but then they actually kind of respect the skinny kid for wailing on them. Same went for when I played lacrosse. I wasn't technically that great at it but I had a canon for a shot that was pretty accurate. So there was some respect that went with that when I otherwise had no idea what I was doing half the time. Get me ball and let me throw it really hard at the goal/goalie.

Yeah, that was about what I was going to post. I was a smaller kid but I could throw a ball--growing up throwing footballs and baseballs. That's the equalizer in dodgeball. The skinny kid with an arm can take out a guy twice his size with even a glancing blow or a catch. I had a blast even though I caught one in the face once in a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dodgeball totally sucked for me. Then again, so did math class. I vote to eliminate them both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Researchers interviewed middle-school students about their physical education classes and say the overwhelming feeling was that students hated dodgeball.

Students hate PE. Doesn't matter what they're doing.

Because students who don't like dodgeball are going to enjoying running laps on the track and performing routines on the parallel bars? ("Suzy is so slow we all lapped her!" "Jimmy is so fat he couldn't even get up onto the bars!") How do you offer "aquatics" at schools that don't have a swimming pool? (Not to mention the body issues kids have and trying to get them to wear swim suits in front of their classmates once they hit junior high.)

They'll simply have to eliminate PE classes. And anything else that could embarrass a student. (I was a terrible speller. I wish they'd never had spelling bees at my school.)

I don't understand, we seperate kids for math, and english why not PE?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply

Prev Next