Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't disagree, but that's some selective enforcement... They need to enforce it better across the board.
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice ride from our man Tejay in Tahoe.
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Also not sure on the Vivanni DQ, in real time i did not see any real issues other than a messy sprint. Re-watching i can kind of see of the issue, but come on its Trek, they can't win anything anyways.

There have definitely been worse cases where a sprinter moved off his line but wasn't relegated. Maybe Segafredo complained?

Given Viviani is the points favorite, I can guess a number of teams may have complained.

That said, if I was the commissaire, I would have DQ'd after watching the replay. Not the most egregious move, but certainly Viviani was moving left to shut the door, and in doing so, came across another rider's (who initially had a clear path to the line) front wheel.

In any case...the Giro is shaping up rather well. Looks like there will be great GC action, and the points battle is also wide open now.

No longer a favorite. A loss of 50 points and another 50 point penalty. The Giro fucked their own.
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the Giro shot itself in foot. Like when TdF kicked Sagan out two years ago. Uh, isn’t the idea to want people to watch their fav riders??? He did deviate but didn’t look that egregious, or that he shut the door into barriers.
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gaviria was pissed as well. He did not want that.
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonna be significant time gaps in the GC today
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dumoulin is done for GC...sucks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

you really wished that he'd have sat his a** down just a bit longer and put in one ginormous attack as opposed to what he did yesterday

i'm still not sure if he has it to win it all, but there aren't that many talented climbers this year

turdburgler wrote:
Jason N wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:
Also not sure on the Vivanni DQ, in real time i did not see any real issues other than a messy sprint. Re-watching i can kind of see of the issue, but come on its Trek, they can't win anything anyways.

There have definitely been worse cases where a sprinter moved off his line but wasn't relegated. Maybe Segafredo complained?

Given Viviani is the points favorite, I can guess a number of teams may have complained.

That said, if I was the commissaire, I would have DQ'd after watching the replay. Not the most egregious move, but certainly Viviani was moving left to shut the door, and in doing so, came across another rider's (who initially had a clear path to the line) front wheel.

In any case...the Giro is shaping up rather well. Looks like there will be great GC action, and the points battle is also wide open now.

No longer a favorite. A loss of 50 points and another 50 point penalty. The Giro fucked their own.

you wonder if Viviani were caught pissing in the breakfast of the commissars or something. 50 points is ridiculous. There's that one Giro stage a decade back when Bettini straight up checked a dude into the barriers; mere relegation and no point deduction.

Jason N wrote:
Gonna be significant time gaps in the GC today

that seems like a really shitty way to lose time; ugh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonder when TD throws in the towel and turns Giro into TdF training and stage hunting.
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Wonder when TD throws in the towel and turns Giro into TdF training and stage hunting.

that assumes his knee is mostly unscathed

doesn't look like it though; he pedaled up that hill very gingerly
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:

you really wished that he'd have sat his a** down just a bit longer and put in one ginormous attack as opposed to what he did yesterday

i'm still not sure if he has it to win it all, but there aren't that many talented climbers this year
[/quote]
Give him a break. Attacking is a completely new thing for him.

Surely he must have attacked at some point in the past, but I don't recall ever seeing anything from him but sitting on wheels.

Yesterday he rode with panache, first in working to establish the break and then in the finale. Was delightful to see. Maybe we'll see a revival of TJ.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Surely he must have attacked at some point in the past, but I don't recall ever seeing anything from him but sitting on wheels.

Yesterday he rode with panache, first in working to establish the break and then in the finale. Was delightful to see. Maybe we'll see a revival of TJ.

Pretty sure he had to attack some point in his stage win at the 2017 Giro
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Jason N wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Ron_Burgundy wrote:

Didn't realize he got a 50 point deduction. I think I checked the points standings a little after he was relegated and it still showed him on the board given his 2nd place finish on stage 2. Must not have accounted for the deduction at that time. That's lame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
H- wrote:
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:

Anywho, I’d like to see him defend it. Was aggressive riding from EF. Would be disappointing to see them ride otherwise.

Kid Carapaz showed some panache today. Nice moving within that split and then holding off Ewen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
H- wrote:
echappist wrote:
McNulty wrote:

That was a great stage for the GC. It was the one where Nibali and Quintana would not work with Dumoulin when Pinot attacked. Most of the coverage was of the GC battle.

TJ managed to get in a big break. All the images at the end showed him sitting on Landa's wheel (last two of the breakaway). Not surprising he won the sprint at the end. Maybe he did some work -- but I don't recall seeing it. Seemed kinda like Hincapie's TDF win. But that may just be false impression due to unlucky TV coverage. Cyclingnews article says he and Landa "worked together."

But yesterday was panache.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Yeah, the Giro shot itself in foot. Like when TdF kicked Sagan out two years ago. Uh, isn’t the idea to want people to watch their fav riders??? He did deviate but didn’t look that egregious, or that he shut the door into barriers.
Lack of consistency applying penalties here, and then you throw in the buzz kill aspect.

No need to go the NFL route where the superstars can do no wrong and they end up getting preferential treatment, but they went overboard in lowering the boom this time. If/when Viviani pulls out of this Giro there will be a few fewer fans following the race. Throw in Dumoulin's crash today, and some of the promising story lines to this year's Giro are going to be missing.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tim for Tom to pull the plug, recover and prepare for the Tour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:

I want him to smash the s*** out of Froome and Sky
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most boring stage of the year award going on at TOC right now. Kirby on Eurosport is clearly out of stories and that is saying something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one thing I was happy about TD's crash is that he'll hopefully go full tilt for the TdF. Maybe it'll actually be a race.
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stage was about as exciting as a 20-minute Tejay interview. At least Ben finally gets Dimension on podium in '19.

Damn, Kasper Assgrab. Classics motor, can climb and apparently sprint. Lefevre's next great find.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
turdburgler wrote:

I want him to smash the s*** out of Froome and Sky

INEOS........but yeah
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but not live on nbcsn tonight?

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:

In other news, Travis McCabe almost got him at the line in Sacramento. That would have been cool.

I thought he had a good shot at another bunch sprint (for 4th) today, but he just mis-timed it and got swarmed just before the line.

Gutted for Alex Hoehn who was out there all day, just utterly cracked like 6K from the line. On the plus side he does get to wear the KOM jersey tomorrow.

Cavagna descending was bizarre. I thought he was going to pass out or something. But then he had a wattage bazooka ready for the flat ~15K to the line....Dudes in Knicks...everyone just takes turn winning. Except Viviani this week.
Last edited by: trail: May 14, 19 17:25
Quote Reply
Re: **** {Spoilers} 2019 Giro d'Italia Thread {Spoilers}**** [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
McNulty wrote:

In other news, Travis McCabe almost got him at the line in Sacramento. That would have been cool.

I thought he had a good shot at another bunch sprint (for 4th) today, but he just mis-timed it and got swarmed just before the line.

Gutted for Alex Hoehn who was out there all day, just utterly cracked like 6K from the line. On the plus side he does get to wear the KOM jersey tomorrow.

Cavagna descending was bizarre. I thought he was going to pass out or something. But then he had a wattage bazooka ready for the flat ~15K to the line....Dudes in Knicks...everyone just takes turn winning. Except Viviani this week.

Yeah that kid Hoehn had a good ride. Mt. Hamilton is hard especially on the way down. That descent has bad pavement and weird, tight corners. It’s like a farm road compared to the road up the other side. Watching him descend made me feel less bad about how I’ve ridden it.

In other news,

Asked by Spanish sports daily AS afterwards what had happened, Landa told the newspaper, "That fucking Yates. He’s mentally retarded. He rides like a madman and he made me fall."

Made me laugh out loud. Who hasn’t vented like this after a race? Yates handled it well.

In other other news, I’ll be interested to hear what particular flavor of doping Koren et al we’re doing.

In other other other news, just read Charly Wegelius’ book, Domestique. As much a fan boy as I am of EF, he sounds like a dick. Or maybe he was just in his 20’s and gets a pass.
Rode for Diluca for several years but didn’t know nothing about nothing, threw his British team under the bus in the WC rr for $2500 from the Italians, and left his pro team for another team after agreeing to renew. He does a lot of rationalizing. Good book though.
Quote Reply

Prev Next