Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please help me with this Quarq/Wahoo Bolt issue!
Quote | Reply
Bolt says it's synced to the Quarq. Says the battery is good. Says Ant+ in the bottom right corner. No Bluetooth on thru the phone. Everything looks right. Except, when I ride, my bolt says my watts are zero.

Have tried 'forgetting' sensor and re-adding it but it didn't help.

I'm confident that this is something very easy with User Error but I can't see it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Re: Please help me with this Quarq/Wahoo Bolt issue! [morpheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you calibrate or zero offset from the bolt?

(IOW, are they talking to each other?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If watts say "0" instead of "- -" then you at least know it's connected.

First thing I would try is doing a reboot on the Quarq.

Open the battery cover
Remove the coin cell battery and flip the battery backwards put the cover back on
Wait 5 seconds
Remove the battery cover, flip the battery back to the correct position, and close the cover again.

I've had this happen to me a few times over the years. Always seems to fix the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Please help me with this Quarq/Wahoo Bolt issue! [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@dfroelich - yes, it 'calibrates' via the Bolt without any issues.

Quote Reply
Re: Please help me with this Quarq/Wahoo Bolt issue! [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@ Jason - good idea. will try it when I get home.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nothing.
same prob.

gonna borrow a buddy's garmin to see if it is reading my quarq.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would open a ticket with Wahoo. Nothing but problems for an SRM with the latest Bolt firmware, lots of odd readings. (on my second ticket).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is the firmware on the headunit up to date?
As the previous poster says, srm's haven't been happy until its been done; maybe the same with quarqs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Long shot, but.... what model of Quarq is it? If it is an older one that requires a magnet for cadence, is it possible the magnet has dropped off or is outside the sensor's range? The unit needs cadence (and therefore angular velocity) plus torque to calculate power.

If it is a newer Quarq it should use its internal accelerometer anyway so you would be ok.

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: Please help me with this Quarq/Wahoo Bolt issue! [voodoo76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd also open a ticket with Quarq if you don't get an immediate answer from Wahoo. Even if it is a Wahoo problem, Quarq has likely heard about it now and may know how to fix it...or at least point you in the right direction. Quarq has always answered the phone when I call them during their working hours. Their staff is knowledgeable and I don't get put on hold or tell me they'll call me back. I usually get the answer I'm looking for (or they go as far as they can) in a few minutes.

That said...my Dezero has been working fine with my Bolt even through the last updates.
Quote Reply
Re: Please help me with this Quarq/Wahoo Bolt issue! [voodoo76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
voodoo76 wrote:
I would open a ticket with Wahoo. Nothing but problems for an SRM with the latest Bolt firmware, lots of odd readings. (on my second ticket).
Nah it's almost surely a Quarq problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Please help me with this Quarq/Wahoo Bolt issue! [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
voodoo76 wrote:

Nah it's almost surely a Quarq problem.

He's probably right. A head unit simply connects to the device and displays what the device sends. There is no "calculation" for watts other than doing a 3s average or AP/NP/TSS on the head unit. Maybe one check you can do is change your field to 1s power. So if the connection is there and the head unit is saying 0, it's almost certain that the Quarq is sending 0. I highly doubt that Quarq is sending over say...250 w, but the Wahoo is screwing up and displaying a 0 instead. There isn't anything for the Wahoo to calculate in terms of 1s power.

All the problems I've had with both Garmin and Wahoo units displaying a 0 for watts while pedaling has been with the Quarq.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m suddenly having this issue, or something similar where it reads then drops then reads and drops or freezes up. I changed Quarq battery, updated Wahoo firmware, removed PM from computer and re-synced, checked PM signal and same issue. It reads part of the ride but just a fraction of data.

I’ll try the Quarq reset but welcome any other suggestions.
Quote Reply
Re: Please help me with this Quarq/Wahoo Bolt issue! [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a post about some new batteries having a coating on them to deter kids eating them, but that coating had some incompatibility with the quarq powermeter (and some other things).

Are you connecting with ANT or BLE? Both should work, just error checking. And I'm assumign this is outside riding? If ANT+ and inside then I'd almost certainly say it's that there's a wifi broadcasting on channel 9-11 - either yours or a neighbours.
Quote Reply
Re: Please help me with this Quarq/Wahoo Bolt issue! [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ant+ outdoors. Odd thing is it did this last week so I changed the battery. Worked fine for a couple rides and then acted up again today.
Quote Reply
Re: Please help me with this Quarq/Wahoo Bolt issue! [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a batch of batteries that I was buying locally - 2 separate shops, but same brand, that just wouldn't work - lasted 1 ride then died. Swapped to another brand and been fine. I think I'm on panasonic brand now and touch wood seem ok, other than going from fine to dead with no warning. And as always, just reports 85% if I connect via the app.....That's been on Quarq's development list for what I am fairly sure is now closer to a decade than a year....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good info, thanks for this. Believe it’s an Energizer battery so I’ll try a different brand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Good info, thanks for this. Believe it’s an Energizer battery so I’ll try a different brand.
SRAM Power Meter Battery Update (No Bitter Duracell) - Equipment - TrainerRoad
It's the duracell that was initially highlighted. But was suggestion that other brands could / would follow. However nothing on the enrgizer website suggests they have done this.

Also, Can I Use Lithium Coin Cell Batteries That Feature Bitter Coating With My Garmin Sensor? | Garmin Support suggests that the duracell coating is only on half the coin, so rotating may work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you happen to have the Quarq PM also connected to a Wahoo app on your phone? Or is it only connected to the Bolt?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used head unit with a different PM yesterday without issue, so that seems to narrow this to a Quarq battery or other issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely do a reboot - the website shows how for each model, but basically take battery out and short the +ve and -ve connections on the PM.

Assume you're on a new style without the frame magnet (or if on an old one, then make sure the magnet is in range not bent out the way).

Use the Qalvin BLE app to do a diagnostics check, (or legacy Qalvin Ant+ on a PC).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestion, will try that today. It’s a DFour, probably 3 years old.
Quote Reply