Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What are you reading? [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
Good to know. Will check it out.

Here's a suggestion for you..more of a business leadership book but I actually enjoyed it (I find most b.leadership books to be boring and repetitive): Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALS Lead by Jocko Willink. Each chapter has a real life SEAL example to reinforce the message.

GOOD
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowtwitch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am reading the Star Force series by B.V. Larson. It's free if you have Amazon's Kindle unlimited.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Mike wrote:
I've recently read:

"Life 3.0" by MIT's Max Tegmark about the rise of AI. I thought that it was excellent and thought provoking. It explores short, medium, and (very) long term effects of AI on society, earth, and even our galaxy and universe. It is mildly technical, but generally written for the lay person.

"Brief Answers To Big Questions" by Stephen Hawking. This was his last book, published posthumously by his estate. I found it very disappointing. It's a "popular" book, lacking any real scientific detail. But beyond that, it appears to be cobbled together quickly from some of his various prior writings to capitalize on the notoriety of his death. Entire paragraphs are repeated unintentionally throughout the book, and it looks like it never received even a "Microsoft Word" level of copy editing.

"Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David Griffiths. I've been reviewing basic QM again as part of my dabbling in the void between QM and General Relativity. (I originally studied both topics formally in school long ago.) IMO, it's an excellent treatment of QM -- the math is not for the faint of heart, but the narrative is good on its own.

Bolded part made me laugh, thinking about how a cocktail party conversation would play out.

"Hi, I'm MOP_Mike."

"Hi, I'm wimsey. Nice to meet you. What do you do in your spare time, MOP_Mike?"

"I dabble in the void between quantum mechanics and general relativity. You?"

"Jiu jitsu classes a few times a week, sort of into the end of Game of Thrones right now...."
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [Go Pound Sand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Pound Sand wrote:

I recently downloaded the Goggins book and will start reading it in the next few days. It peaked my interest because I just finished reading "Living with a Seal" by Jesse Itzler. Itzler's book is a light read and I really enjoyed the book.

Itzler's book is hilarious. Loved it. I also really liked Goggins' book. I knew his story (and raced Kona the same year as he did) but I had no idea about his childhood.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
I am reading the Star Force series by B.V. Larson. It's free if you have Amazon's Kindle unlimited.

Isn't that the novelized version of daring exploits by Donald Trump's Space Force? I can't decide if my favorite one was when protected Earth from the invasion by the aliens from Planet Meksiko.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just finished
The Elephant in the Room - by Tommy Tomlinson. It’s a memoir by an obese man and his battle with his weight. I read it in an effort to be more compassionate. Thus guy is in a situation I have a hard time relating to.

Just started
The Beneficiary -by Janny Scott
Nonfiction story of an extraordinarily wealthy family that made its fortunes in railroads during the gilded era. The family still has tremendous wealth. Generational wealth is fascinating, and it’s not necessarily a blessing. One character lived the party boy life and never made positive contributions to society. He knows it....and
he ends his own life.
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Go Pound Sand wrote:

I recently downloaded the Goggins book and will start reading it in the next few days. It peaked my interest because I just finished reading "Living with a Seal" by Jesse Itzler. Itzler's book is a light read and I really enjoyed the book.

Itzler's book is hilarious. Loved it. I also really liked Goggins' book. I knew his story (and raced Kona the same year as he did) but I had no idea about his childhood.

Imagine inviting a guest to live with you for a month, then telling your wife. My wife wouldn't be happy.
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [Go Pound Sand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found him a bit tiresome. Itzler. I thought it was an interesting idea and bits were funny but not sustainable
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
MOP_Mike wrote:
I've recently read:

"Life 3.0" by MIT's Max Tegmark about the rise of AI. I thought that it was excellent and thought provoking. It explores short, medium, and (very) long term effects of AI on society, earth, and even our galaxy and universe. It is mildly technical, but generally written for the lay person.

"Brief Answers To Big Questions" by Stephen Hawking. This was his last book, published posthumously by his estate. I found it very disappointing. It's a "popular" book, lacking any real scientific detail. But beyond that, it appears to be cobbled together quickly from some of his various prior writings to capitalize on the notoriety of his death. Entire paragraphs are repeated unintentionally throughout the book, and it looks like it never received even a "Microsoft Word" level of copy editing.

"Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David Griffiths. I've been reviewing basic QM again as part of my dabbling in the void between QM and General Relativity. (I originally studied both topics formally in school long ago.) IMO, it's an excellent treatment of QM -- the math is not for the faint of heart, but the narrative is good on its own.

Bolded part made me laugh, thinking about how a cocktail party conversation would play out.

"Hi, I'm MOP_Mike."

"Hi, I'm wimsey. Nice to meet you. What do you do in your spare time, MOP_Mike?"

"I dabble in the void between quantum mechanics and general relativity. You?"

"Jiu jitsu classes a few times a week, sort of into the end of Game of Thrones right now...."

Ha!

Yah, I'm pretty awkward at parties. I'd still buy you a beer, though. :-)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks cool. Thanks for the tip.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blood Meridian-Cormac McCarthy

Society Must Be Defended-Michel Foucault
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Terry Brooks - Genesis of Shannara right now; on the third book.
I have Heat of the Moment (a firefighter memoir type) up next.
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [Jim_Richalds] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim_Richalds wrote:
Blood Meridian-Cormac McCarthy

That was one of the most grimly depressing books I've ever read. Made 'The Road' look like a 'Chicken Soup for the Soul' book by comparison!
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Life by Keith Richards - the only Rolling Stone capable of surviving a nuclear war.
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MLCRISES wrote:
Just finished
The Elephant in the Room - by Tommy Tomlinson. It’s a memoir by an obese man and his battle with his weight. I read it in an effort to be more compassionate. Thus guy is in a situation I have a hard time relating to.

This was a very good book. As someone who has fought the weight battle the majority of my life, I very much understand him.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm currently reading a few:

Stamped From the Beginning, a history of racist ideology in the US. Just started it. Eye opening.

Bird by Bird, Anne Lamott. Love it.

The second Harry Potter book. For the life of me I cannot remember the title of this one.

Daring Greatly, Brene Brown. She's simply fantastic.

After these it's going to be a season of a few months consuming a bunch of liberation, feminist, mystical, and radical theological works & some complimentary philosophy.

It's feast or famine for me -- read 2-3 books cover to cover within a week and do that for a couple months, but then go 5 weeks where I start 5 books but don't finish any of them for a bit. Right now is the latter since other things in life have been busy & I'm dabbling with learning a new hobby/skill (photography, taking a class) to compliment another project I'm working on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just finished “An Arabian Journey” really enjoyed it

Just started “The Silk Roads, a new history of the world”

Also, definitely check out “Bad Blood” insane Theranos story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jane Harper's three books are great if you like detective novels; I just finished those 3.
current nonfiction - "Fraternity" (Alexandra Robbins)
current fiction - just getting into Karin Slaughter's books.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pulled a couple of Ruth Rendell mysteries off my Mum's shelves, thinking I'd enjoy some classics of the genre. They did not age well!

I have Warlight by Michael Ondaatje and Avenue of Mysteries by John Irving cued up to read next, hopefully they're better.
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

Isn't that the novelized version of daring exploits by Donald Trump's Space Force? I can't decide if my favorite one was when protected Earth from the invasion by the aliens from Planet Meksiko.

+1. You know that sex in space is the Donalds real goal.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [fierceSun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fierceSun wrote:
The Murderbot series.

Very fun and captivating, but the books are short so I'm burning through them too fast and will have to find something new soon.

They are good. Makes you want them to be longer.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
SaaS licenses, data privacy policies.... snip.

Blerrrgh... sounds like work. I read to get away from that shit.
Quote Reply
Re: What are you reading? [Helliquin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helliquin wrote:
wimsey wrote:
SaaS licenses, data privacy policies.... snip.

Blerrrgh... sounds like work. I read to get away from that shit.

No way, man - if a good GDPR data processing agreement doesn't thrill your senses and make your loins tingle, I don't know what does...;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next