Prev Next
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's busy searching Brietbart.
Quote Reply
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
If you take a closer look, your comment should be directed to midwestroadie. Yes, I got a headache trying to reply to his nonsense.

MIdwestroadie is easy to read, he just puts his comments above a quoted item and not below like most of us.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
1/10

Can't find in the forum the genesis of your 1/10. Is it proprietary? What does it mean? And, does it only apply to said person? I think I may want to use it.
Quote Reply
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
He's busy searching Brietbart.

No, he just went to bed, woke up and then went to work. I have full confidence in getting a meaningful response some time today (pink font). Having been grouped into the snowflake community, I get the impression that maybe I do not warrant that effort from him. And I thought Philly was the city of brotherly love.

I think he is concerned that his great state of Pa. is going to swing blue because right leaning voters continue to agonize over Trump. It is not about desperate democrats, it is the desperate "Never again Trump" old school republicans. He should know that his anger towards "snowflakes" and resoluteness in defense of Trump only contributes to more "nay, no more" voters than "yep let us have another 6 years voters."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
Why go personal and refer to me as a snowflake when you do not know me? If it was my bringing your folks into the post, you offered them up. I was only curious as to their influence on your thinking. If offense taken, I apologize. Your concern for my welfare in a " good safe place" while touching, only leaves me with more questions only you can answer. Try as I might, you do confound me. If you can come up with some compelling testimony in future posts, I might see and agree with the points you try to make.

I assume you are not going to engage in debate on current Pa congressional district maps. I can be influenced toward your direction, but you need to bring a better game.

Great assumption, he will never engage in debate. It all comes down to "snowflake."

_____
TEAM HD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not exactly. It's still an insignificant number in the scheme of things. If your number is correct, do you really think that roughly 320,000 people spread across the nation is going to be the thing that turns the country to pure hell -- if 100% of them were to vote, moreso if 100% of them were to vote Democratic (unlikely given that a chunk of that population is going to be of the Republican variety)?

It's interesting how you make the assumptions by categorizing the entire prison population as your political enemy. There's not a whole lot of nuance in your thought process here.

What might it look like if you started at the point of an idea and discussed possibilities around that rather than starting at the point of an enemy (in your case the Democrats and "liberals")? You come on here and spew absolute generalizations and make broad stroke categorizations but I've yet to see you post something actually attempting to open discourse to resolve a problem through consensus.

Let's start here with a few facts: In approximately 25% of states (12), felons indefinitely lose their voting rights. In Maine and Vermont, felons don't lose voting rights, even while incarcerated, and in neither state has this been an issue. Felons lose their voting rights for a period of time post-incarceration in about 40% of states, until those rights might be later restored, in some cases only through an exception process by the governor. Approximately 22% of felons in this country are in for non-violent drug offenses. Incarceration rates have increased fivefold during the last 40 years. Black men are seven times more likely to be incarcerated for drug possession than a white man possessing the same drug. We have a bail and a incarceration system that disproportionately impacts the poor negatively, keeping many low level offenders locked up simply because they cannot come up with the bail. Crime rates have not increased with the rise in incarceration; policies have changed to keep people locked up and for longer lengths of time.

So with that, I would start by saying this: I agree with you that the most violent offenders should be behind bars, and I might even go so far as to agree that those people should not have voting rights restored while incarcerated. But I would also say this -- we have far too many people locked up and people who have committed victimless crimes. If we believe people deserve the kind of second chance that lets them out of jail/prison, I believe everyone should have voting rights restored the moment they're no longer locked up. I'd go farther, those not serving life sentences should not have voting rights stripped away even while incarcerated; they're serving time for their crime, still have rights as individuals, and I believe voting rights should stand. I'd give you this -- perhaps a very narrow set of violent crimes would be the exception to this right to vote while incarcerated.

But if we really believe incarceration has an end-point and the goal of incarceration is to restore people back to being productive members of society, anything that makes them out to be something less than a capable of being a contributing member of society needs to be changed, so the reform of incarceration needs to start with the recognition that they will one day be back out on the streets and we need to equip them for that, treating them as human. Voting is part of the human experience we've based this country on and if people are going to be back in society I think it's only right that they be a part of that since voting has nothing to do with their crime. Surely this is better than your all or nothing approach. But it requires challenging a reactionary posture and having discourse, a rigor that seems lacking in our current climate.

gphin305 wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Interesting how you glossed right over the example of incarcerated drug users and jump right to "rapists and murderers." I take it reading comprehension isn't your thing. That's ok, it doesn't appear to be Jordan Peterson's either after the debate. In that case I'll refrain from citing the many sources factually showing rapists and criminals are a small percentage of the prison population and there are many non-violent, non-victim offenders in prison, people whom I've no qualms seeing vote. But you do you and spew your emotional drivel.

You are starting to show your stupidity and I was really trying to be polite. Actually if you did your homework (or read my previous post), they make up almost 22% of the current 1.6 million incarcerated prisoners. Like, I said, think (a little longer) before you answer about someone else's "drivel".

gphin305 wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Oh, yes, let's use the most extreme and singular example you can think of to base your argument upon rather than looking at the sensible whole. That sure shows your intellectual rigor in forming an argument. /S

gphin305 wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
The current leading Democratic candidate, Crazy Bernie Sanders, just advocated letting convicted felons currently serving sentences having the right to vote. He went on to confirm this would include convicts like the Boston Bomber. Is Crazy Bernie really this crazy and/are Democrats really this desperate at this point to get voters?

MidwestRoadie wrote:
Honestly, what's crazy about it? Those who would be voting are still citizens and there are a hell of a lot of non-violent and non-victim criminals incarcerated, plenty of drug users incarcerated who are serving time for things that have since been decriminalized. I'm all in favor of doing what it takes to get more eligible voters to the polls and makes it easier for them to do so. What would it hurt? Do you honestly think the low percentage of voting in the general population is going to be overrun with massive amounts and percentages of incarcerated voters? They're serving their time in prison, which is enough punishment and shouldn't include losing the right to vote for those who will be their representatives once they're out. But call me crazy, because I believe in redemptive opportunities and grace and mercy and stuff, while still setting smart boundaries...

But rant on senselessly. It's your right. And I support that, as un-factual as your rants may be.

Talk about senselessly. So....you must have been one of the adoring people cheering in the audience when Bernie stated he thought the Boston Marathon Bomber should have the right to vote? And you are saying you support this? Really? You might be in the vast minority with that thought process.

What "sensible whole" are you referring to.......the other 350,000 rapists and murderers currently incarcerated? Which ones would you like to include in your 'sensible whole". Think before you answer......you're starting to sound like Crazy Bernie.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! You're 100% correct. On the whole, I think there are most folks here in the LR who are pretty good at hearing and articulating nuanced positions & discussing them. I disagree with JSA quite often, but can at least see where he's coming from & why (except those times when he's in a pissy mood and is an ass...); I think it's Perseus with whom I've disagreed about faith issues many times, but he's usually respectful and has discourse. And then there are those who only shit all over the board and declare victory. Maybe I wasted the paragraphs on someone shitting on boards, but maybe Gphin will have discourse for once and show the best he's capable of.

spudone wrote:
You just wasted 6 paragraphs on someone who will digest none of them.

It would be awesome if someone would draw a political spectrum chart for the Lavender Room so we could gauge the value of attempting a persuasive argument.
Quote Reply
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Ha! You're 100% correct. On the whole, I think there are most folks here in the LR who are pretty good at hearing and articulating nuanced positions & discussing them. I disagree with JSA quite often, but can at least see where he's coming from & why (except those times when he's in a pissy mood and is an ass...); I think it's Perseus with whom I've disagreed about faith issues many times, but he's usually respectful and has discourse. And then there are those who only shit all over the board and declare victory. Maybe I wasted the paragraphs on someone shitting on boards, but maybe Gphin will have discourse for once and show the best he's capable of.

spudone wrote:

It would be awesome if someone would draw a political spectrum chart for the Lavender Room so we could gauge the value of attempting a persuasive argument.

Nope, you're whole problem is the way you post, putting your information above the actual quoted passage. It's so hard for people to follow you. ;-)

_____
TEAM HD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:

i felt like an idiot last night, because that's what happened to me. i hope i learned from that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
spudone wrote:

i felt like an idiot last night, because that's what happened to me. i hope i learned from that.

He is a hard nut, but he has an interesting perspective to some of our politics. Somewhere back in the thread he said that he was an Obama voter in 2008. There is constructive thinking in him at some level. I suspect the communication frustration is felt by him more so than us. My learning curve is steeper or I am more hard headed, but I'll keep trying. Cause that's what us snowflakes do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
Slowman wrote:
spudone wrote:

He is a hard nut, but he has an interesting perspective to some of our politics. Somewhere back in the thread he said that he was an Obama voter in 2008. There is constructive thinking in him at some level. I suspect the communication frustration is felt by him more so than us. My learning curve is steeper or I am more hard headed, but I'll keep trying. Cause that's what us snowflakes do.

not only do i not mind talking to someone who's of a different persuasion, it's much more interesting. i might learn something. i might become a better person because i've availed myself of a different point of view. slowguy, he and i don't see eye to eye on a lot of stuff. but he thinks, he's smart, and he's very independent. he's not going to push an agenda. his brain is its own agenda. same with JSA. and god love him, even (often) duffy. and - i know i'm going to regret this - orphius!

but if you simply protect your position, defend your tribe, run to breitbart for ammo, refuse facts because they're attributable to the 85 percent of professional journalism that you've chosen not to trust; if you remain ignorant of history; fearful of it because of what it might teach you; that's different.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Not exactly. It's still an insignificant number in the scheme of things. If your number is correct, do you really think that roughly 320,000 people spread across the nation is going to be the thing that turns the country to pure hell -- if 100% of them were to vote, moreso if 100% of them were to vote Democratic (unlikely given that a chunk of that population is going to be of the Republican variety)?

It's interesting how you make the assumptions by categorizing the entire prison population as your political enemy. There's not a whole lot of nuance in your thought process here.

What might it look like if you started at the point of an idea and discussed possibilities around that rather than starting at the point of an enemy (in your case the Democrats and "liberals")? You come on here and spew absolute generalizations and make broad stroke categorizations but I've yet to see you post something actually attempting to open discourse to resolve a problem through consensus.

Let's start here with a few facts: In approximately 25% of states (12), felons indefinitely lose their voting rights. In Maine and Vermont, felons don't lose voting rights, even while incarcerated, and in neither state has this been an issue. Felons lose their voting rights for a period of time post-incarceration in about 40% of states, until those rights might be later restored, in some cases only through an exception process by the governor. Approximately 22% of felons in this country are in for non-violent drug offenses. Incarceration rates have increased fivefold during the last 40 years. Black men are seven times more likely to be incarcerated for drug possession than a white man possessing the same drug. We have a bail and a incarceration system that disproportionately impacts the poor negatively, keeping many low level offenders locked up simply because they cannot come up with the bail. Crime rates have not increased with the rise in incarceration; policies have changed to keep people locked up and for longer lengths of time.

So with that, I would start by saying this: I agree with you that the most violent offenders should be behind bars, and I might even go so far as to agree that those people should not have voting rights restored while incarcerated. But I would also say this -- we have far too many people locked up and people who have committed victimless crimes. If we believe people deserve the kind of second chance that lets them out of jail/prison, I believe everyone should have voting rights restored the moment they're no longer locked up. I'd go farther, those not serving life sentences should not have voting rights stripped away even while incarcerated; they're serving time for their crime, still have rights as individuals, and I believe voting rights should stand. I'd give you this -- perhaps a very narrow set of violent crimes would be the exception to this right to vote while incarcerated.

But if we really believe incarceration has an end-point and the goal of incarceration is to restore people back to being productive members of society, anything that makes them out to be something less than a capable of being a contributing member of society needs to be changed, so the reform of incarceration needs to start with the recognition that they will one day be back out on the streets and we need to equip them for that, treating them as human. Voting is part of the human experience we've based this country on and if people are going to be back in society I think it's only right that they be a part of that since voting has nothing to do with their crime. Surely this is better than your all or nothing approach. But it requires challenging a reactionary posture and having discourse, a rigor that seems lacking in our current climate.

gphin305 wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Interesting how you glossed right over the example of incarcerated drug users and jump right to "rapists and murderers." I take it reading comprehension isn't your thing. That's ok, it doesn't appear to be Jordan Peterson's either after the debate. In that case I'll refrain from citing the many sources factually showing rapists and criminals are a small percentage of the prison population and there are many non-violent, non-victim offenders in prison, people whom I've no qualms seeing vote. But you do you and spew your emotional drivel.

You are starting to show your stupidity and I was really trying to be polite. Actually if you did your homework (or read my previous post), they make up almost 22% of the current 1.6 million incarcerated prisoners. Like, I said, think (a little longer) before you answer about someone else's "drivel".

gphin305 wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Oh, yes, let's use the most extreme and singular example you can think of to base your argument upon rather than looking at the sensible whole. That sure shows your intellectual rigor in forming an argument. /S

gphin305 wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
The current leading Democratic candidate, Crazy Bernie Sanders, just advocated letting convicted felons currently serving sentences having the right to vote. He went on to confirm this would include convicts like the Boston Bomber. Is Crazy Bernie really this crazy and/are Democrats really this desperate at this point to get voters?

MidwestRoadie wrote:
Honestly, what's crazy about it? Those who would be voting are still citizens and there are a hell of a lot of non-violent and non-victim criminals incarcerated, plenty of drug users incarcerated who are serving time for things that have since been decriminalized. I'm all in favor of doing what it takes to get more eligible voters to the polls and makes it easier for them to do so. What would it hurt? Do you honestly think the low percentage of voting in the general population is going to be overrun with massive amounts and percentages of incarcerated voters? They're serving their time in prison, which is enough punishment and shouldn't include losing the right to vote for those who will be their representatives once they're out. But call me crazy, because I believe in redemptive opportunities and grace and mercy and stuff, while still setting smart boundaries...

But rant on senselessly. It's your right. And I support that, as un-factual as your rants may be.

Talk about senselessly. So....you must have been one of the adoring people cheering in the audience when Bernie stated he thought the Boston Marathon Bomber should have the right to vote? And you are saying you support this? Really? You might be in the vast minority with that thought process.

What "sensible whole" are you referring to.......the other 350,000 rapists and murderers currently incarcerated? Which ones would you like to include in your 'sensible whole". Think before you answer......you're starting to sound like Crazy Bernie.

Sorry guys, busy client travel work day today.....but glad to feel so much love. I'll start with Midwest since he has the six paragraphs.

Midwest: You make a lot of points about incarcerated prisoners in general, victimless crimes, second chances, black incarceration. rehabilitation, blah blah. Most of the points, I actually have no problem with......in fact, I wouldn't be surprised now that DJT has signed the reform bill that many of them would vote republican.....so they are not my "political enemy". I mean what have the Dems done for them lately? Yep, work needs to be done. But you have danced around the main and my only issue: the leading Dem candidate, Bernie Sanders wants to allow people like Tsarneav, Cruz, Roof, and thousands of other murderers and rapists the right to vote.....while they are serving their time in prison! Sorry, no, not sorry....but I think that is crazy......and a very desperate ploy by a Dem candidate to hopefully get some votes. I say shame on him. Once a prisoner gets out and starts rehab..... I have no problem. There, are we clear? Is this unreasonable? Crazy Bernie just lost a lot of support with this gem.

Gofigure: I have no animosity towards "snowflakes". Actually feel sorry for them since crying "offended" every time something happens that they don't agree with won't solve the issue.

Spudone: Does your definition of failure to "digest" mean someone has to agree with your opinions......sure sounds like it.

Ref65: No problem discussing PA voting districts but thats somewhat off subject here and deserves a separate thread, if you prefer.

Slowman: I don't doubt voter shenanigans continue to exist.....and, in the South, don't doubt some prejudices still exist. But do you really feel Abrams and/or Gillum or anyone else lost an election because of this....as they whined after the election? Do you really feel this effort to disenfranchise exists throughout the country? Prejudice exists all over and works both ways.....but overall, the advances made over the almost 50 years have been tremendous. Would you really want to live anywhere else? And btw, don't understand your animosity towards Breitbart. You can't be serious giving them the "fake news" moniker when you have the CNNs and MSNBCs. I mean, people would still think Benghazi was caused by a video if it wasn't for Fox and Breitbart.

Did I miss anyone? Now for the NFL draft.
Last edited by: gphin305: Apr 25, 19 17:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
I don't care if you agree with my opinions. What I'm saying is that when people offer information outside your little conservative news bubble, you basically ignore it.

The fact that you don't see Breitbart as propaganda just demonstrates the futility of even discussing a political topic with you.

Spoken like a true lib snowflake......congrats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
spudone wrote:
I don't care if you agree with my opinions. What I'm saying is that when people offer information outside your little conservative news bubble, you basically ignore it.

The fact that you don't see Breitbart as propaganda just demonstrates the futility of even discussing a political topic with you.

Spoken like a true lib snowflake......congrats.

I think even most of the conservatives on this board would acknowledge what Breitbart is / does. Except you.

Yeh, probably the same people who would be demonstrating in the streets if Candace Owens and/or Ben Shapiro were scheduled to speak on their campus or job site. Keep watching CNN and stay informed in your little safe bubble.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:

Gofigure: I have no animosity towards "snowflakes". Actually feel sorry for them since crying "offended" every time something happens that they don't agree with won't solve the issue.
Try this on for size

gphin305:I have no animosity towards "shitheads". Actually feel sorry for them, since they are shitheads and can't help themselves. But then if I called you a shithead, I am fairly certain your first instinct would be to take offense. Snowflake, while not quite an up in your face insult as "shithead", is a current slang derogatory reference to describe a person of your age (not really my age). Also is used to describe a person of inflated sense of uniqueness, of unwarranted entitlement, of being over emotional, of being easily offended and unable to deal with opposing opinions. I am of Irish descent, as such, I plead guilty to unadulterated over emotion and if personally insulted without evidence to support, I am in full opposition.

I am encouraged that you have no animosity. As the receiver of the insult, I took offense plain and simple. Insults do not often positively influence.

No response yet received on alleged gerrymandered congressional district history in PA. I do note that you said "in the area" not Pa. , maybe you were making general reference to the Md. fiasco or NC fiasco?

Also, I took your advice and researched the one isolated NBPP 2008 voter intimidation incident. Yes, it was hyped through viral things internet. Yes it was under reported by a left bias msm. More importantly, DOJ failed to fully enforce the statute violated and both Holder and Obama did not appear equal to Bill Clinton and his courage (political savvy) in his Sister Souljah moment.

I have avoided engaging you up till now because there is no take to all you that you give. I am not a democrat. I have been registered republican since '72. I am a never Trumper and am far more sympathetic to derision of him than compliments of all that he is personally responsible for. I take a keen interest in calming our country's political rancor however and wherever I can. I hope to enlist you in support. As for safe space habitation, eviction notices may be pending on my ass. I have no tolerance for the far left or far right.

In response to your post subject question: About as desperate as the Florida republican state legislators as they nit pick, whittle, fine tune the just passed voter referendum to grant ex felons voting rights. Look it up in Brietbart and the WAPO. My take is that a lot of politics is desperate, both ways. Calm and reasoned listening, as well as talking, solves issues.

Thanks for listening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:

spudone wrote:

Ignoring the political hackery going on in this thread, I'd say the core issue here is not about whether felons should be allowed to vote in prison, or whether a rapist should not be allowed to vote but a drug offender should, or any of that.

The core issue, certainly as expressed by Sen Sanders, is whether or not you believe a fundamental core right of citizens in a democratic society is the right to have a vote in your representation. If you view that as a fundamental right, then the discussion ends there. Felons are still citizens. Congressmen, Presidents, Governors, etc all represent the entirety of their citizen base, which includes those felons sitting in prison. They vote and decide on issues of pardons, prison reform, the laws that put people in jail, prison sentencing, and any number of no prison related issues that impact the lives of felons both in and out of jail. So if having a voice in your government (you know, the whole,..."no taxation without representation" theme, as executed by democratic vote, is a fundamental concept of our country, then it's difficult to justify taking that right away from people, especially as it's not a right that poses imminent physical harm to other citizens, like the right to bear arms.

If you don't think voting is a fundamental right, then there's room for the rest of the discussion on what offenses should result in loss of that right, how long people should lose it, etc.

I don't have a problem with Sen Sanders' position, because it appears consistent. His stance is that everyone should be able to vote on who represents them in government, even if they broke the law. There are, as we all know, some pretty horrible people who were never convicted of crimes or who never spent a day in jail, who have the right to vote, and that doesn't seem to be leading to the death of our democracy.

Of course, it's an easy and cheap tactic to paint that as "Sen Sanders wants the Boston Bomber to have a vote." Sells airtime and generates clicks online.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
The core issue, certainly as expressed by Sen Sanders, is whether or not you believe a fundamental core right of citizens in a democratic society is the right to have a vote in your representation.

Which also is informed on how you view criminal justice. Is the point rehabilitation, or is punishment and removal from society?

If you think criminal justice is to punish the criminal, why don't we just execute every criminal? Why don't we take a page from our history and send every criminal to a moon colony or space station or Georgia?
Quote Reply
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
slowguy wrote:
The core issue, certainly as expressed by Sen Sanders, is whether or not you believe a fundamental core right of citizens in a democratic society is the right to have a vote in your representation.

Which also is informed on how you view criminal justice. Is the point rehabilitation, or is punishment and removal from society?

If you think criminal justice is to punish the criminal, why don't we just execute every criminal? Why don't we take a page from our history and send every criminal to a moon colony or space station or Georgia?

while that point is germane to the overall discussion, it's not germane to slowguy's point. one way you can parse people is by how they approach values. whether a person's values are fungible. i don't agree with rand paul on very much. i agree with bernie sanders on slightly more. but they're examples of one kind of person: one who is consistent in his values; and who doesn't bend much based on the popularity of one's values.

even if bernie didn't believe in the concept of redemption; even if he believed every inmate should be executed; he'd still believe every inmate has the right to vote up to the point he gets the chair, because he believes it's a fundamental constitutional right. i don't know that i agree with him. but i can certainly see the argument.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Convicts are counted toward the census and counted when deciding how many representatives you get in the house so why can’t they vote.
Quote Reply
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:

spudone wrote:

Ignoring the political hackery going on in this thread, I'd say the core issue here is not about whether felons should be allowed to vote in prison, or whether a rapist should not be allowed to vote but a drug offender should, or any of that.

The core issue, certainly as expressed by Sen Sanders, is whether or not you believe a fundamental core right of citizens in a democratic society is the right to have a vote in your representation. If you view that as a fundamental right, then the discussion ends there. Felons are still citizens. Congressmen, Presidents, Governors, etc all represent the entirety of their citizen base, which includes those felons sitting in prison. They vote and decide on issues of pardons, prison reform, the laws that put people in jail, prison sentencing, and any number of no prison related issues that impact the lives of felons both in and out of jail. So if having a voice in your government (you know, the whole,..."no taxation without representation" theme, as executed by democratic vote, is a fundamental concept of our country, then it's difficult to justify taking that right away from people, especially as it's not a right that poses imminent physical harm to other citizens, like the right to bear arms.

If you don't think voting is a fundamental right, then there's room for the rest of the discussion on what offenses should result in loss of that right, how long people should lose it, etc.

I don't have a problem with Sen Sanders' position, because it appears consistent. His stance is that everyone should be able to vote on who represents them in government, even if they broke the law. There are, as we all know, some pretty horrible people who were never convicted of crimes or who never spent a day in jail, who have the right to vote, and that doesn't seem to be leading to the death of our democracy.

Of course, it's an easy and cheap tactic to paint that as "Sen Sanders wants the Boston Bomber to have a vote." Sells airtime and generates clicks online.

So if Sanders has said over the past few years that everyone should be paid a minimum wage of $25/hour you wouldn't have a problem with it because he's "consistent"? Does "consistent' have a higher priority level with you over common sense? I don't consider it a "tactic" at all. I consider it common sense. Just answer a real simple question: Do you think Dylann Roof and Nikolas Cruz should still have the right to vote? Just a simple yes or no.
Quote Reply
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [turtleherder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turtleherder wrote:
Convicts are counted toward the census and counted when deciding how many representatives you get in the house so why can’t they vote.[/quote]

Why? Really? Do you think Dylann Roof or Nikolas Cruz should have the right to vote? Yes or no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
turtleherder wrote:
Convicts are counted toward the census and counted when deciding how many representatives you get in the house so why can’t they vote.[/quote]

Why? Really? Do you think Dylann Roof or Nikolas Cruz should have the right to vote? Yes or no.

Who?
Did they forfeit their citizenship?
Should we shoot them into the sun?
Quote Reply

Prev Next