Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
JSA wrote:
In response to your question - very. Team Donkey is VERY desperate for voters.

Well ... so long as they vote Donkey. If, for example, they happen to be members of the military, on deployment, in service of their Nation, then Team Donkey is more than happy to exclude those absentee ballots. But, votes of recipients and potential recipients of ObamaPhones are certainly counted ... sometimes twice!

nice job ducking and hiding in a non-Trump thread. Safe space only

wow, you really are triggered, aren't you?

Yeah I get that way when some prick makes an unfounded claim they can’t back up. Gets called on it and runs off like a little bitch.
Quote Reply
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
blacks were more enfranchised in 1868 than they are today.

Where in this country are black people not allowed to vote?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

Prison. Did you even read the thread? :)
Quote Reply
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

Prison. Did you even read the thread? :)

So only the blacks in prison can’t vote? Whites in prison are allowed?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JSA wrote:

Well ... so long as they vote Donkey. If, for example, they happen to be members of the military, on deployment, in service of their Nation, then Team Donkey is more than happy to exclude those absentee ballots. But, votes of recipients and potential recipients of ObamaPhones are certainly counted ... sometimes twice!

i don't think that stand up to scrutiny. you're right, nothing in the original text of the constitution grants a right to vote. but there are at least 5 amendments that explicitly enfranchise groups who can't be kept from voting by states, and there is both statute and SCOTUS rulings that further enfranchise voters. meanwhile, 2A, only half that amendment exists. the other half is the unmentionable phrase of the constitution.

we have a *rich* history of disenfranchising voters. the south systematically chipped away at reconstruction, and we have never rebounded from that. blacks were more enfranchised in 1868 than they are today.

there's a history of voter suppression that weighs on this topic, and the only voter fraud of note in the last election belonged to the other party.

i agree with you that you should lose your right to vote when incarcerated. i agree you should get it back when you're out. i don't agree that bernie sanders is hoping to get the vote of prisoners. i'm not a bernie voter. but he takes stands that are unpopular, like this one, because he speaks his principles.

I'd like to know how blacks were "more enfranchised in 1868 than they are today". And I find it hard to believe that Crazy Bernie would allow incarcerated criminals to vote if he didn't think he would get their vote. He (and his wife) is not that "principled".
Quote Reply
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I find it hard to believe that Crazy Bernie would allow incarcerated criminals to vote if he didn't think he would get their vote.

You find it strange that politicians will say things to attract voters?
Quote Reply
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

ObamaPhones!!! Bwaaaaa! What an awesome handout. This street urchin in SoCal had three of them in her possession. So we asked. She explained how if you are homeless, on all the programs (WIC etc) you get a free phone. Then...you ask for a free bus pass. You take the bus to the next ObamaPhone place and get another one, and then do the same to a third place. That way.....you have enough gigs via all three phones to last you through the month when it automatically re-ups. Helped her avoid the Popo with her drug and prostitution deals as well because she was constantly getting new numbers with her new phones. Genius!! love that program!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
tfleeger wrote:
you know in some states felons can vote, even while incarcerated. It is a state by state thing, whether or not felons can vote, or for how long after they serve their term they can vote again. Personally, in a national election, if any incarcerated felon is allowed to vote, I think they all should be allowed, or make it a federal policy that none can or all can, whatever, but it should be evenly applied to all states. in local elections, then each state should be able to what it wants.

i am far more outraged at the continual crappy turnout of eligible voters, so I am not in a hurry to not let any citizen vote who actually wants to.

From what I've been able to tell, only two states.....Vermont and Maine allow incarcerated felons to vote. And California allows felons in local jails.....not state or federal felons. See any commonality with these three states? It seems to be all over the place based on the state if felons get this right back after they serve their time. And now Kamala Harris seems to be jumping on this train. Personally, I don't have a problem getting this right back after they serve their time, but with Bernie apparently wanting to extend his ridiculous state's policy nationwide, it might appear these leading Dem candidates just keep making it easier for another DJT win in 2020.

They all have mountains?
They all have very large sparsely populated spaces?

California doesn't allow felons to vote until after parole is complete. DC, Hawaii, Mass, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Montana, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Penn, Rhode Island, and Utah have more liberal felon voting laws than California. There their franchise is reinstated after incarceration, no matter if they are on parole or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How desperate are D for voters? Less desperate than R. 2 million more people voted D in the last presidential election. 1.7 million more people voted D in 2018.
Quote Reply
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
JSA wrote:

Yeah I get that way when some prick makes an unfounded claim they can’t back up. Gets called on it and runs off like a little bitch.

Super triggered. Go find your safe space you little snowflake.
Quote Reply
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Why do people like you always make two different topics into one to meet your needs? Oh, that guy is kneeling at the anthem so he MUST hate police and the military, screw that guy!

They're not mutual.

Also, it's "mostly true" that Trump himself has called for elections countings in 2018 to be halted before all military ballots could be counted. In the 2000 election, it was democrats asking for all overseas absentee ballots to be super strictly counted according to the rules (all the BS signatures, stamps of approval, postage dates, etc...).

Team pub isn't that desperate, they've already won the battle of convincing all the evangelicals and white men that they're the most persecuted group on the planet........and that a vote for them is a vote for themselves.

Nice try..........1/10..........I can play that kind of childish game as well and post some useless dribble.......see........it was easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of people in this thread in agreement that incarcerated felons shouldn't be allowed to vote. Is there a reason this right specifically should be revoked other than they are bad people and everyone wants to see them punished?

I understand the desire to deny them a vote, but I don't understand the logic. Not trying to further an argument. I'm not sure I even have an opinion, just wondering if there is some reason I'm missing.
Quote Reply
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:
How desperate are D for voters? Less desperate than R. 2 million more people voted D in the last presidential election.

Sigh...

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
JSA wrote:

Why do people like you always make two different topics into one to meet your needs? Oh, that guy is kneeling at the anthem so he MUST hate police and the military, screw that guy!

They're not mutual.

Also, it's "mostly true" that Trump himself has called for elections countings in 2018 to be halted before all military ballots could be counted. In the 2000 election, it was democrats asking for all overseas absentee ballots to be super strictly counted according to the rules (all the BS signatures, stamps of approval, postage dates, etc...).

Team pub isn't that desperate, they've already won the battle of convincing all the evangelicals and white men that they're the most persecuted group on the planet........and that a vote for them is a vote for themselves.

Nice try..........1/10..........I can play that kind of childish game as well and post some useless dribble.......see........it was easy.

LOL! It was a smart-ass remark to appease the OP. You really should read the read of the thread, including my position on the actual topic. If you really cared about the topic, you have done so. But, you don’t.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
There are a lot of people in this thread in agreement that incarcerated felons shouldn't be allowed to vote. Is there a reason this right specifically should be revoked other than they are bad people and everyone wants to see them punished?

I understand the desire to deny them a vote, but I don't understand the logic. Not trying to further an argument. I'm not sure I even have an opinion, just wondering if there is some reason I'm missing.

A better question is this...is there a reason this specific right should be kept when almost all other rights are being denied?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:

I'm guessing you were just responding to the last post as I the only thing I've done in this thread is troll ironflake, but the logic would be that incarcerated felons have many of their basic freedoms taken away. Voting would be one of them. I have no problem with them being allowed to vote once they have completed their sentence, including any additional probationary period after they are released.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Thom wrote:

A better question is this...is there a reason this specific right should be kept when almost all other rights are being denied?

They are given food, drink, a place to sleep, medical care, opportunities to worship if they choose. Perhaps voting is an inalienable right. Bernie thinks so and he would rather give voting rights to all then the slippery slope of chipping away at chunks of the population. I’m not sure if I agree with him in case of incarceration but I see his point.
Quote Reply
Re: How Desperate are Democrats for Voters? [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Thom wrote:

They are given food, drink, a place to sleep, medical care, opportunities to worship if they choose. Perhaps voting is an inalienable right. Bernie thinks so and he would rather give voting rights to all then the slippery slope of chipping away at chunks of the population. I’m not sure if I agree with him in case of incarceration but I see his point.

I see his point too.

To pick a nit here though...inalienable rights aren’t given. We are born with them.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Other than the 2nd, I think the rest of the Bill of Rights are maintained for prisoners. I'm not sure what rights you're referring to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Other than the 2nd, I think the rest of the Bill of Rights are maintained for prisoners. I'm not sure what rights you're referring to.

You might want to totally rethink this post.

Prisoners and felons on parole have almost no rights.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Apr 24, 19 7:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
JSA wrote:

Super triggered. Go find your safe space you little snowflake.

After being on the receiving end of your intellectually superior and witty posts in the last several day I would contend such a space no longer exists for me in this forum cupcake. I mean, to transition so deftly from triggered to super-triggered. Wow. Presence of troll greatness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Thom wrote:
Duffy wrote:

OK, I rethought it. Rights from amendments 2 and 5 are taken away. 1,3,6,7,8, 9 and 10 are maintained. 4 is debatable, the right is taken away in prison itself but there is still a right to keep things owned outside prison private.

I'll change it from the rest of the Bill of Rights to most of the Bill of Rights. My point stands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
The current leading Democratic candidate, Crazy Bernie Sanders, just advocated letting convicted felons currently serving sentences having the right to vote. He went on to confirm this would include convicts like the Boston Bomber. Is Crazy Bernie really this crazy and/are Democrats really this desperate at this point to get voters?

Changing the laws to allow approximately 1.2 million incarcerated criminals (1.6 total less 25% non-citizens) including approx 350K murderers and rapists and including guys like the Boston Bomber the right to vote is probably not going to go over well with the majority of Americans. If leading Dem candidates like Bernie and Kamala continue to promote shit like this, they are basically handing DJT another four years on a silver platter. What are they going to come up with next.....taxing the rich to pay for everyone's college debt....eliminate building skyscrapers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Thom wrote:
Duffy wrote:

OK, I rethought it. Rights from amendments 2 and 5 are taken away. 1,3,6,7,8, 9 and 10 are maintained. 4 is debatable, the right is taken away in prison itself but there is still a right to keep things owned outside prison private.

I'll change it from the rest of the Bill of Rights to most of the Bill of Rights. My point stands.

1. You say the wrong thing to a guard and you’ll be punished
2. No guns
3. Guards are up in shit all day
4. Your cell can be searched at any time. Felons on parole are subject to warrantless searches at any time for any reason on ANY property they are occupying.
5. They keep those rights.
6. Ditto
7-10 are not infringed

Which one of the bill of rights covers voting?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

what's happening to black people at the ballot box is analogous to what's happening to pregnant women who seek abortions. you just make it so hard to obtain that it's technically legal but practically unavailable.

since the SCOTUS struck down the voting rights act, about 1000 voting precincts have been closed, mostly in black areas. if you look a the - what - 800 counties (?) that were affected by section V of the voting rights act, the rate of precinct closure has been very high.

so, what to these folks do? they vote early. i don't know if you noticed, but early voting has more and more favored democrats. in north carolina, 70 percent of blacks voted early. so what did north carolina do about that? reduced early voting. of course! same thing in ohio, florida, texas.

you're not a stupid guy. you're smart enough to have earned a great wife and a great surfboard. you and i probably agree on 90 percent of stuff, value by value, issue by issue. but there's a concerted attempt by republican held legislatures to gerrymander and to suppress votes from the other side. no, not all precinct closures are for political gain. yes, some democrats are the willing recipients of gerrymandered districts. but the basic reason i moved toward caucusing with the other side has nothing to do with policy; and everything to do with basic fairness and decency.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next
Back To ForumPrint Thread