Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Conti GP4000s II vs Vittoria Corsa Competition G+
Quote | Reply
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I cannot find the exact same comparison here (or my search skills are the worst).

So, which one do you prefer for race day? probably use them like a month before in training just to get used to them coming race day?

25mm clinchers by the way on a 60/88 wheelset.
Last edited by: MarioTB: Mar 26, 19 14:59
Quote Reply
Re: Conti GP4000s II vs Vittoria Corsa Competition G+ [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't speak for the Vittoria, but I certainly already like my GP5000 over the 4000

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't use the vittorias for a month before. I put them on on Thursday AM, did an hour in the afternoon, checked them for debris then wheeled into transition. Admittedly this is on IMNZ route where the course is really rough chipseal, but they are raceday tyres for me, not training. I'll then use them for minor club races next season, but new ones for raceday next year.

Not used the GP4000s since I had some 15 years ago that punctured every ride. Bad batch, bad luck? Who knows, loads of people fine with them, but I've always loved the Vittoria Corsa range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 5000 is just an all around better tire than the 4000, so I wouldn’t even consider the 4000. I would maybe swap tires a week before you event. That gives plenty of time to check for my nor leaks or a bad tube install. You want about 50-100 miles on the tires to ensure they are broken in. At a month, the sealant May be starting to dry and be less effective. If I were doing the Victoria’s I would just go with the TLR. Definitely more fragile, but they are pretty much the lowest Crr tire out there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the GP4000 exclusively. I built up a different bike and tried the Victoria as something different. Very comfy tire and rolls really smooth. I bought another set for my road bike this year. Haven’t ridden them yet as weather sucks here in Wisconsin and is almost riding season. Time will tell.

What I can say is that the few hundred miles I rode them on my other bike, I really liked them. I don’t think either tire is a bad choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have used both GP4000 SII and Corsa G+ (not Corsa speeds, mind)

the Corsas, while nice, are most definitely a competition day tyre only. they are far too fragile and expensive to use as a daily driver, unless you ride on super clean roads.

GP4000 SII is fine as a race tyre, not the fastest, but in the conversation, and are far more reliable as a daily driver. it's also cheaper.

Remember to finish first you have to first finish.
Quote Reply
Re: Conti GP4000s II vs Vittoria Corsa Competition G+ [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using clinchers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find the Corsas to be quite fragile. I'd run the GP4000s of the two, but GP5000 if you're buying new today.

I train on GP 4-Season and switch to GP4000s a few nights before the race, give them a test ride to make sure they hold air, then switch back to the 4-Seasons after the race. I always ride race wheels, because life is too short for shitty slow shit.

I also don't think you need to "practice" on race rubber, at least not for TTs. I mean, it's not all that different. If anything it's just more supple, better grip in dry, and really just rides better all around.
Last edited by: wintershade: Mar 28, 19 13:59
Quote Reply
Re: Conti GP4000s II vs Vittoria Corsa Competition G+ [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! yeah, I have a couple GP4000 I used for competition (like I said, put them a month before IM Cozumel) and did the race like that. I'm trying the Corsas on Monterrey 70.3.

I will not buy more tires. (At least, that is what I tell my wife and myself every couple months).
Quote Reply
Re: Conti GP4000s II vs Vittoria Corsa Competition G+ [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insight man!
Quote Reply
Re: Conti GP4000s II vs Vittoria Corsa Competition G+ [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, they both seem to be very on par.
Quote Reply
Re: Conti GP4000s II vs Vittoria Corsa Competition G+ [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I will do that, maybe use them for a couple rides when in taper.
Quote Reply