Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kona in March
Quote | Reply
Howdy all!

I am headed to Kona in March for a little spring break vacation with the fam bam. I have looked through the search results but have not found a good answer.

That week is a big training week for me and my Boston training. I am looking for recommendations on where to run. The only experience I have with running at Kona is watching it on TV and all the roads being closed. In one of Lionel's videos he is running on what looks like an awesome path next to the Queen K(not sure?). I looked on Strava at routes as well but again all on roads that I am not sure are suitable for running. I am definitely not opposed to running on roads, just want to make sure they are safe.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona in March [EastonZ16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that bike path is just a short section leading out of town. There aren't many dedicated bike paths in Kona. Most people run up and down Ali'i drive. Slow traffic and wide shoulders make it fine for running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you stay up in the kohala area the running pretty decent on the pathways/sidewalks in the resort areas (ie Waikoloa, Muana Lani, etc..)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been to Kona three times and each time I just ran up and down Ali'i Drive. From the King Kam Marriott to Kahaluu-Keahou resort area and back is almost dead on 13.1 miles when turning around at the intersection of Ali'i and Kaleiopapa. Turn around anywhere in between to shorten the distance. I think Marriott to Magic Sands and back is about 8 miles. That run I've done several times.

Bring water or Gatorade with you since it's hot and humid. There are a few convenience stores along the way to buy more.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Feb 6, 19 10:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EastonZ16 wrote:
Howdy all!

I am headed to Kona in March for a little spring break vacation with the fam bam. I have looked through the search results but have not found a good answer.

That week is a big training week for me and my Boston training. I am looking for recommendations on where to run. The only experience I have with running at Kona is watching it on TV and all the roads being closed. In one of Lionel's videos he is running on what looks like an awesome path next to the Queen K(not sure?). I looked on Strava at routes as well but again all on roads that I am not sure are suitable for running. I am definitely not opposed to running on roads, just want to make sure they are safe.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!

The pathway in Sander's video is along the west (ocean) side of the Ane Keohokalole Hwy. This is a newer approx. 3 mile section of road just under a mile uphill and generally parallel to the Queen K. It runs between Palani (turns into Henry past Palani) and Hina Lani.

If you use the Kona pool the running to the nearby Old Airport and around the community gardens loop (used in past for Kona beer mile competitions) is a nice option for short runs.

Further above Kona the Walua Trail starting at Lako Street (trail starts just uphill of Lako/Hwy 11 intx) heading south is a great run, bike or walk option.

Otherwise, as others mention, running out and back along Ali'i works great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you staying in Kailua-Kona or at the Waikaloa area?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona in March [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are staying on the Kona side of the island.

Thanks to all that have replied, I greatly appreciate it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey man I think you're talking about the trail just west of that school.

Kealakehe High School
74-5000 Puohulihuli St, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

He was running along Ane Keohokalole Hwy.

He was doing 1k repeats If i remember right.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona in March [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
talbotcox wrote:
Hey man I think you're talking about the trail just west of that school.

Kealakehe High School
74-5000 Puohulihuli St, Kailua-Kona, HI 96740

He was running along Ane Keohokalole Hwy.

He was doing 1k repeats If i remember right.

That is exactly the trail I was thinking of...and yes, he was doing 1000k meter repeats. I have a work out planned that week that is similar to his(not nearly as fast) and need a good stretch of trail.

Thank you so much for responding!
Quote Reply