Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: For 7th Consecutive Year, Visa Overstays Exceeded Illegal Border Crossings [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasnt attacking you for being pro-wall. I am just pointing out that this is the reason a lot of people dont think the wall is the best solution.

In fact, I did not comment at all about your personal stances on immigration.

If anything I was agreeing your argument that a wall across the north would be stupid.
Last edited by: patentattorney: Jan 22, 19 6:28
Quote Reply
Re: For 7th Consecutive Year, Visa Overstays Exceeded Illegal Border Crossings [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I'm sure black on black murders exceeded police on black murders again.

So, what's your point? You can't work on any problem if there is another, bigger problem?
Quote Reply
Re: For 7th Consecutive Year, Visa Overstays Exceeded Illegal Border Crossings [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
patentattorney wrote:
This is the same argument used for going after visa overstays than building a wall.

First of all, I’M NOT IN FAVOR OF BUILDING A WALL!!!!!!!!!

Secondly, the ratio of border jumps to over stays is 1 to 3

The difference between illegal northern border crossings and southern border crossings is close to 1 to 3,000.

And lastly, did you not read my post in this thread where I said immigration laws should be enforced?

That includes visa over stays and border security.

We could just adopt the Canadian system...

Then WHY DO YOU WANT THE WALL SO BADLY, YOU TRUMP BALLWASHER,!!

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: For 7th Consecutive Year, Visa Overstays Exceeded Illegal Border Crossings [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The point being is that you shouldnt shut down the government to solve the smaller problem.

If the smaller problem is a crisis, I dont know what the larger problem is.
Quote Reply
Re: For 7th Consecutive Year, Visa Overstays Exceeded Illegal Border Crossings [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
You're proving me right. Apprehensions at northern border are way up while apprehensions at southern border are way down.

Clearly there is a humanitarian crisis at the Northern Border.

I heard that there was a caravan forming in Newfoundland and heading south...

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: For 7th Consecutive Year, Visa Overstays Exceeded Illegal Border Crossings [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
Duffy wrote:
patentattorney wrote:
This is the same argument used for going after visa overstays than building a wall.

The difference between illegal northern border crossings and southern border crossings is close to 1 to 3,000.

And lastly, did you not read my post in this thread where I said immigration laws should be enforced?

I don’t.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
CaptainCanada wrote:
Duffy wrote:
patentattorney wrote:

I don’t.

Sure you do. Ask anyone else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
If you have 300 moose coming through your back door ...

I wonder if anyone in the LR might have an opinion on what that feels like ... not that I really want to know.
Quote Reply
Re: For 7th Consecutive Year, Visa Overstays Exceeded Illegal Border Crossings [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
From this article, https://www.npr.org/...gal-border-crossings

The report released Wednesday by the Center for Migration Studies of New York finds that from 2016-2017, people who overstayed their visas accounted for 62 percent of the newly undocumented, while 38 percent had crossed a border illegally.

Do most of those who overstay a visa fly here? Then maybe we need a roof instead of a wall.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
   You're kind of talking apples and oranges, with 62% being recorded and having gone through at least a cursory check; we know who they are. 38% are a complete mystery, and the unknown is what creates the security threat, hence the 700 miles of barrier already constructed. Take Duffy's analogy and say the 62% are perceived to be moose; well the other 38% are mostly moose, but lions, bear, or whatever other miscellaneous predators are in the mix. Where do you think our priority should be from the standpoint of security?
Quote Reply
Re: For 7th Consecutive Year, Visa Overstays Exceeded Illegal Border Crossings [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So immigration isn’t the problem? It’s the type of immigrant that is the problem?
Quote Reply
Re: For 7th Consecutive Year, Visa Overstays Exceeded Illegal Border Crossings [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
You're kind of talking apples and oranges, with 62% being recorded and having gone through at least a cursory check; we know who they are. 38% are a complete mystery, and the unknown is what creates the security threat, hence the 700 miles of barrier already constructed. Take Duffy's analogy and say the 62% are perceived to be moose; well the other 38% are mostly moose, but lions, bear, or whatever other miscellaneous predators are in the mix. Where do you think our priority should be from the standpoint of security?

Security against what?

Also there's missing piece there - the implicit assumption that building more barrier brings that 38% down. We spent billions trying to stop drugs from coming across the border as part of the War on Drugs. It didn't work. Spending billions on a barrier that slows people by seconds-to-minutes may not even drop 38% to 35%. Barriers do not stop people by themselves. They just slow people enough to assist in human interdiction. Most of the places without barrier have natural barrier (deserts). It requires more people to watch-and-interdict. A lot more people. Barrier/wall is just a symbol for "border security" that for no good reason became literal.

Rather than repeat the War on Drugs with a War on Migrant Workers (who we love and hate at the same time), why not just legalize them by making H-2A visas very easy to get, and enforcing e-Verify?
Quote Reply

Prev Next