Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Year end totals, how did you do?
Quote | Reply
I ended at about 560 hours of SBR. A bit down from other years.
Swim was 303000yds 173 miles
Bike about 4850 miles
Run 940 miles

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Year end totals, how did you do? [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Down year swimming, only 20 ish total miles. Took an 8 month hiatus from it after a move. No biggie I'm back in pool now and starting to get some feel back. Riding I hit 3500, which is a PR for me in a year. Running I was 780 I think, another PR. I won't win any awards on ST for volume but it was a good year for me, I worked a lot on speed. I'm hoping to break all those records in 2019 as I go for my first IM at tremblant.

Highlight for me was a 1:23 open half mary in October. Big time PR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim: 692.000m
Bike: 365h, all indoors except 2 HIM
Run: 1400km

I had a stress fracture and couldn't run for around 8 wks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
608 miles swimming
8,215 miles bike
1,475 miles running
142 hours in the gym

It was a great year, 2018 was my return to the sport, after 29 years away from it.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Dec 31, 18 13:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim 233,875 yds
bike 685.5 mi
run 2232.5 mi

45 points of a bronze medal on the Big Kahuna challenge. I'm getting less obsessive compulsive, it seems. Which is probably a good thing. Lower volume than any year I can recall in the last decade... got more, sleep, though, and am healthier than I have been in other years.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5050 miles on the bike
298940 yards in the water
0.0 running and dont miss it a bit
360.08 hours
Quote Reply
Re: Year end totals, how did you do? [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
608 miles swimming
8,215 miles bike
1,475 miles running
142 hours in the gym

It was a great year, 2018 was my return to the sport, after 29 years away from it.

Holy Crap! That is super impressive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
173 hours swimming - 415 miles
400 hours riding
216 hours running - 1677 miles
Last edited by: jakesaunders: Dec 31, 18 14:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So all running at 8 min pace hrs 196
all biking at a 20mph, no breaks 410 hrs
then gym 142 hrs

ttl 748 hrs or 14 hours a week without 1 minute of a break then add another 1,068,320 yards swimming, when I did 550,000yrds it was 215, so another 400 hrs. and your retired , away from sport 29 years...………..that is without any breaks in timing, 22 hhrs a week
………...so when do you recover?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Refraining from actual numbers/data on the grounds it may totally embarrass me. Let's just say I'm closer to a 50-50 work to rest ratio than most of you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim: Proudly 0 yards/meters since October 2014.

Bike: 1,147 with probably 95% of it from September forward (see Run comments)

Run: 1,443 with 98% of it from January through mid-August. Was on pace for about 2,600-2,700 in prep for a December marathon but injured my back pretty badly unrelated to running. It's still giving me fits but thankfully doesn't bother me on the bike.

Walk: 362 miles. My little 11 pound Dachsund is the boss and demands a walk every morning before I do anything. She's my warmup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
608 miles swimming
8,215 miles bike
1,475 miles running
142 hours in the gym

That's a big workload for an old guy!
I got back into Aquabike this year after 34 years, the 8200 miles on the bike wouldn't be a problem but 3000 yards a day in the water would do me in. And I'm a better swimmer than a biker. Clearly I need to rethink my commitment...

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Last edited by: Fuller: Dec 31, 18 15:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a swim focused year, with a plan to get back into cycling, but then my cycling got derailed mid year with a bad accident....so ended up spending more time swimming and on the rowing machine than planned

• Swimming 1206.8km 410:37:00
  • Biking 4.056.00km 155:19:00
  • Running/shuffling 412.25km 47:21:00
  • Gym time around 50% weights and 50% rowing machine: 107 hours
  • XC ski 102.00km 9:05:00

• TOTAL: 726:47:00

I would like to be over 10,000km of cycling and 1000km of swimming in 2019. Let's see.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 31, 18 19:52
Quote Reply
Re: Year end totals, how did you do? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
So all running at 8 min pace hrs 196
all biking at a 20mph, no breaks 410 hrs
then gym 142 hrs

ttl 748 hrs or 14 hours a week without 1 minute of a break then add another 1,068,320 yards swimming, when I did 550,000yrds it was 215, so another 400 hrs. and your retired , away from sport 29 years...………..that is without any breaks in timing, 22 hhrs a week
………...so when do you recover?

I'm retired, and this is a passion that keeps me busy. I used to dream about retiring, so that I could work out as much as I wanted. Now I am, and I do. I live simple, and don't have many other distractions. I rarely do any speed work or very high intensity. It's an all volume addiction. When I race, I do short tapers and active recovery. I'm not all that fast, but I can hold my own as a local age grouper. According to Strava, if my math is right, I averaged 22.7 hours/week. But, as mentioned, mostly high volume at a comfortable/enjoyable level. I should add that I was away from the sport of triathlons for 29 years, but never away from staying fit as a marathon runner (still a focus), and several years as an ultra marathon runner (ended up not being for me). I was fighting plantar fasciitis from hell in 2016, and started serious cross training to stay in shape. On a whim in 2017 I entered a sprint tri, and was immediately re-hooked. Only this time things are different. I'm not working full time, with young kids at home like I was in the 80's. Now every day is Saturday and I can do whatever I want. I'd work out more if I could, but the old body is doing all it can handle.

Thanks Littlefoot and Fuller! Swimming has become my new super addiction. I sucked back in the day. But today with youtube, I've actually learned how to swim respectably. It also helps that I'm retired military, and have life time free access to the pool, at the local AF base, 2 miles from my house. And possibly the best part, is that as I grow older, my better running and cycling days are long gone... and my strength in the gym is a shadow of what it used to be... but swimming is the only thing that I'm still getting better at!

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Dec 31, 18 16:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am turning 60 and switched to ultras. I simply could not handle the volume.....
Quote Reply
Re: Year end totals, how did you do? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
I am turning 60 and switched to ultras. I simply could not handle the volume.....

I'm the opposite. I'm 58 and 40 marathons and two years of ultras, my knees, shins and then plantar fascia couldn't take the miles. I love the volume, but my old bones were breaking down, which drove me back to cross training and tris.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike: 32,044 km/ 980h/ 503,000m climbed
Run: 22 km
Swim: Never

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sleeping .. 2184h // eating .. 947h // road bike riding .. 899h .. oSo >>

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well good for you. My knees are shot, but, I live in Montana and can be in the mountains in an hour. Honestly I cannot go back to tri's. I can train on the bike and swim but done with tri's. I know I will get flamed for this, but "For Me" the ultra community is much better. I could no longer deal with the behaviours, the have to have 10K bikes, it got to snooty for me. First I went to unbranded events, Vineman, Silverman, first of the HITS...but they are all gone. Everyone concerned with times ect…….once to Ultra's, I cannot go back.

To any offended, I do not mean to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
624 total hours for me as:
283 hours and 2145 miles of running
272 hours and 6356 miles of biking
69 hours and 235k yards of swimming

The swimming has definitely taken a hit in the last few years with kid #2. My guess is that it may even be less swim yards in 2019. It's so much easier to get up early and bike or run in the basement than it is to drive to the pool, change, swim, shower, change and drive home. Time spent on not working out is more than the swimming time in that formula.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Last edited by: natethomas: Dec 31, 18 17:52
Quote Reply
Re: Year end totals, how did you do? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Refraining from actual numbers/data on the grounds it may totally embarrass me. Let's just say I'm closer to a 50-50 work to rest ratio than most of you.

Haha... what did the guy say in the bikeradar hillclimb diaries... “i am trying 100% recovery training.”

Haha
Quote Reply
Re: Year end totals, how did you do? [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got injured twice this year, so lost 1,500mi of running compared to last year

Swim: 84h 15m 39s - 292189 Yd
Bike: 704h 56m 12s - 10510.51 Mi
Run: 398h 24m 60s - 3039.63 Mi
Cross-Country Skiing : 4h 29m 04s
Quote Reply
Re: Year end totals, how did you do? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike: 5318 miles, 260 hours
Run: 1407 miles, 180 hours

Started the year with broken ribs. Raced 4 times. Results in signature.

No swimming. No tris. Slave to MBA studies.
Last edited by: TriBriGuy: Dec 31, 18 18:45
Quote Reply
Re: Year end totals, how did you do? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I fell off the wagon missing the pool the last two months of the year.

Run 2,115mi / 264hrs
Bike 3,136mi / 223hrs normalized for trainer time 4,500mi
Swim 141mi / 85hrs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3rd year of training & a significant bump in volume.

30 points off big kahuna gold (*but given the bike points are calculated based on distance & the kickr speed is high I'm sorta glad I didn't make it)

Hours / TSS / Miles

Swim: 89 / 8,930 / 191 (337,581 yd)
Bike: 282 / 16,832 / 6,701* (I'd guess closer to 5,500)
Run: 263 / 20,318 / 1,983
Total: 634 / 46,106 / 8,878* (*~7670)
Quote Reply

Prev Next