Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My regular pool has a similar rule, but I’ve gone off the blocks during lane swim before. The trick for me has been to ask the “right” lifeguard beforehand and get permission. Go to the pool enough and you learn who to ask and who not to.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
My regular pool has a similar rule, but I’ve gone off the blocks during lane swim before. The trick for me has been to ask the “right” lifeguard beforehand and get permission. Go to the pool enough and you learn who to ask and who not to.

I used to do the same, then I found out through a third party that one of the guards who let me use the blocks got reprimanded for not enforcing the policy. I save starts for Masters team practice, now.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're just not attractive enough. I was diving next to an aqua aerobics class once, and the next thing I knew I had like 30 80 year-old women stop and watch me while the instructor sang along to the music that was on - "It's Raining Men." It was really cute.
Last edited by: trail: Dec 27, 18 6:43
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems the members were more distracted and in awe rather than annoyed. I think the instructor was irritated that it took the attention off her class. Her tone and tact completely caught me off guard. She was kind of mother henning me. I would have preferred she approach me face to face, rather than go out of her way behind my back. If she was a true authority on the matter, she would have approached me at the time of incident.

I have a good friend that pays the U.S. Masters Swimming annual fee so he can compete in meets. He doesn’t swim with the club. He’ll be in a difficult position, if something similar happens to him.

ripple wrote:
It sounds to me like she just doesn't want to hear her class members complain to her about your diving in the future. Probably nothing more nothing less, and to be fair to her, you even say there are "no diving" signs plastered all over the joint. So one could probably infer that the management aren't too keen on diving in the pool. I don't know. Just a guess.
Last edited by: mwanner13: Dec 27, 18 6:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll have to find a work around. Obviously no dives during aqua aerobics. Since it’s not guarded, I shouldn’t have any issue at the right time and circumstance.

JasoninHalifax wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or the instructor at your pool isn’t a nosy old hag? Lmao.

trail wrote:
You're just not attractive enough. I was diving next to an aqua aerobics class once, and the next thing I knew I had like 30 80 year-old women stop and watch me while the instructor sang along to the music that was on - "It's Raining Men." It was really cute.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“In awe”?

Oh my
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water Aerobics instructors are the worst.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You broke a pool rule and when caught, were politely asked to follow it. What’s your issue exactly??
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
These people are very old and not particularly athletic. It doesn’t take much. Believe me.

ChrisM wrote:
“In awe”?

Oh my
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps if there was an issue management would approach me face to face, not some random aquacise instructor that I don’t know going behind my back to management and then personally handling it by cyberstalking my FB profile. But I’m glad she took the liberty to go out of her way to tell me what to do rather than management. Lol.

DFW_Tri wrote:
You broke a pool rule and when caught, were politely asked to follow it. What’s your issue exactly??
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:

He’s awesome?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don’t think a paid employee has the ability to enforce pool rules?? Or to discuss a situation with management without your knowledge or participation? Are you a part of the workforce?

As for the method of delivery, it is a little bizarre...I’m not even on FB so that wouldn’t work for me but I have little down if you use FB, then I think even you can recognize it’s widely used for all sorts of arguably inappropriate communications. The communication here was not nearly as over-the-top as you are making it out to be. You came here looking for support and you may receive some. But you are also going to receive a reality check that not everyone agrees that you are right here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
It seems the members were more distracted and in awe rather than annoyed. I think the instructor was irritated that it took the attention off her class. Her tone and tact completely caught me off guard. She was kind of mother henning me. I would have preferred she approach me face to face, rather than go out of her way behind my back. If she was a true authority on the matter, she would have approached me at the time of incident.

How would this face to face meeting happen? She was in the middle of a class, so, if she didn't interrupt her class for a potential confrontation, it wasn't going to happen then. That leaves her summoning you to the pool or stalking the pool till she sees you again.

Sounds like she politely relayed a request in a non-confrontational matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with the group that thinks you were in the wrong and that this was handled relatively well.

Do you think that you are so special that the rules shouldn't apply? Because that is kind of how you are coming across....... "how dare they enforce the rules on me? I'm a masters swimmer (and a triathlete too, look at my laminated triathlon.com swim workout)!"

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
The indoor pool is 24 hours with no lifeguard........The deep end is 6 feet and the shallow end is 4 feet,

Damn dude you were going off the blocks in only 4ft of water? Going into 4ft is just plain stupid/dangerous (although I believe that is the current minimal rec although I thought it was 6ft 7in).

20 min sitting under the lifeguard chair for you the next time you roll to the pool!

IMO 6ft though safer is still pretty damn shallow for going off the blocks. From the side yes, from the blocks IDK, you do you, I'd personally pass and just go from the side.

6ft is marginal for safety for an adult off the blocks imo.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Dec 27, 18 9:56
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
The indoor pool is 24 hours with no lifeguard........The deep end is 6 feet and the shallow end is 4 feet,

Damn dude you were going off the blocks in only 4ft of water? Going into 4ft is just plain stupid/dangerous (although I believe that is the current minimal rec although I thought it was 6ft 7in).

20 min sitting under the lifeguard chair for you the next time you roll to the pool!

IMO 6ft though safer is still pretty damn shallow for going off the blocks. The side yes the blocks IDK, you do you but I'd personally pass.

I’ve swum in older pools that had blocks set up in about 4ft deep water, although that was a long time ago and I’m not sure if they are still set up with the blocks in the shallow end.

It was always a little sketchy when starting in those pools.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m going off in 6 feet. Lol. During the State HS Meet it’s used as a warm down pool. I’ve swam in there and had high school kids dive into 4 feet over my head, while we were resting on the wall. Kind of freaked me out. Just diving in 4 feet is very shallow.

desert dude wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

IMO 6ft though safer is still pretty damn shallow for going off the blocks. From the side yes, from the blocks IDK, you do you, I'd personally pass and just go from the side.

Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
I'm with the group that thinks you were in the wrong and that this was handled relatively well.

Do you think that you are so special that the rules shouldn't apply? Because that is kind of how you are coming across....... "how dare they enforce the rules on me? I'm a masters swimmer (and a triathlete too, look at my laminated triathlon.com swim workout)!"

Gotta say I’m in this group as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
wannabefaster wrote:

+1

You broke the rules and you lost me at " It is painted “No Diving” all over the pool deck. I guess it doesn’t apply to everyone but me apparently?"

So you knew you were breaking the rules, too.

How she approached it was odd, but it might be seen as a gentler response vs. approaching you in person the next time you're there.

You can always post in the "cry like a biatch thread" instead
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So then why are diving blocks installed on both the indoor and outdoor pools? I suppose only for the use of the premium paying swim team members? That’s the only difference I see. One member pays more and gets more rights of use.

In addition, other members and non-members utilize them for diving, but apparently I’m the one that can’t now? I signed a waiver. I can think of much riskier ventures such as crossing the street. Spare me the damn rules, when the rules don’t make sense.

Durhamskier wrote:
Sean H wrote:
wannabefaster wrote:

+1

You broke the rules and you lost me at " It is painted “No Diving” all over the pool deck. I guess it doesn’t apply to everyone but me apparently?"

How she approached it was odd, but it might be seen as a gentler response vs. approaching you in person the next time you're there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
So then why are diving blocks installed on both the indoor and outdoor pools? I suppose only for the use of the premium paying swim team members? That’s the only difference I see. One member pays more and gets more rights of use.

In addition, other members and non-members utilize them for diving, but apparently I’m the one that can’t now? I signed a waiver. I can think of much riskier ventures such as crossing the street. Spare me the damn rules, when the rules don’t make sense.

Durhamskier wrote:
Sean H wrote:
wannabefaster wrote:

+1

Swim team has coaches watching, so does masters. My pool has the same rules. It is a liability issue, and just because someone else is breaking the rules doesn't mean you should. Two wrongs and all that.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
The trick for me has been to ask the “right” lifeguard beforehand and get permission. Go to the pool enough and you learn who to ask and who not to.

This..

We often get squad kids come in during the day in summer holidays outside of squad hours, I’m happy to let them practice if they ask.
Quote Reply
Re: Reprimanded by aqua aerobics instructor [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the most sensible and direct no non-sense response.

I guess if I’m not doing any meets I can just forego any portions of workouts calling for dives, so as to stay in line with club rules and etiquette.

I still think it wasn’t proper protocol for her to be the person to contact me and also the means of communication. Either way, I’ll get over it.

rsmoylan wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

Durhamskier wrote:
Sean H wrote:
wannabefaster wrote:

+1

Swim team has coaches watching, so does masters. My pool has the same rules. It is a liability issue, and just because someone else is breaking the rules doesn't mean you should. Two wrongs and all that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You really can’t comprehend how/why there may be a general no diving rule but an exception may be made for supervised, fee-paying, advanced swimmers??? This really comes down to you being upset that an exception wasn’t made for you. You aren’t being singled out. You just aren’t getting the special treatment/exception you feel you deserve. Too bad.
Quote Reply

Prev Next