Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

British cycling off season base builder
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone!
I race oly and 70.3, and I've got big bike weakness. I wanted to structure more my training and chose to follow this off season base builder: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/...eason-Base-Builder-0

Any thoughts about it ? Basically, it's a lot of sweetspot during the week and long ride the weekend.

I also thought about doing 1 sweetspot or threshold, 1 vo2, a long ride, and a short ride with strength work during base, and then a period (8-12weeks) with specific intervals (z3-4 if racing 70.3 or z4-5 if racing oly).
What will give me the best results, with 3-4 rides per week (2 short, 1 medium, 1 long).

I swim 2 times per week, and run 5-6 times (3 short brick run, 2 medium runs and 1 long run, "BarryP method")

Thank you !
Quote Reply
Re: British cycling off season base builder [ivan2794] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello

what are your bike split for flat Olympic or flat 70.3 ?
What is your age, evaluation of VO2, FTP ?
Lack of technique, endurance, or speed ?
Correct bike position ?
Reasonnable aero ?

I used British Cycling plans for base, and track specific, few years ago, they are interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: British cycling off season base builder [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't really have a flat race where I live (in France, middle of Alps).
My last bike split where 1h30 for a 39k with 1000m climbing (3 loops of 13k with 330m) or 36min25 for a sprint triathlon bike split (22k) with relatively flat road (150m).

I think I lack almost everything on the bike, I can ride for a long time (5h+ with 2000-3000m climbing) but I never really trained for any quality.
I also have to check my position, I have got a giant propel but relatively new and never fitted
A lot of work to do
:/

I wanted to follow british cycling base, then the preseason plan, a specific TT block and then the in season plan

I don't have powermeter, I train with heart rate in the trainer and RPM when outdoor. In my last FT test, I estimated my heart rate at threshold around 175bpm

Wanted to add a question: if I follow the BarryP program, he advised a 15miles long run if preparing for a half tri. So, the volume will be 7k short run, 15km medium run and 20-25km long runs, about 75km/week. Is it enough volume to race an HIM ?
Last edited by: ivan2794: Dec 13, 18 4:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Ah, ben on va pouvoir discuter en français. Je suis originaire du sud ouest, et habite a Paris.

Few years ago, I have done that :
British Cycling base work +
BC pre-season build +
BC specific Track module and BC specific TT module (for track and TT objectives)

It is a good plan, if you choose the right modules for your objectives. However, it might be a bit heavy if you need to swim and run also. Depending of your availability and energy left :-)
Don't remember if they have something specific for long TT (for 70.3) ?

Before training plan :
First thing is to work on your position. Saddle height, saddle position, cleat position (les cales, trés important), ...
Then work on the gesture (le mouvement de pédalage). Velocity work help a lot. If you are used to alps climb, probably you already know how to work force :-)
Then, for 70.3, work on a aero position.

Do you know some peoples locally you can discuss and train with ?
Quote Reply
Re: British cycling off season base builder [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They do have a hill specific block but not long TT :/
Yes it's hard to work on this british cycling plan and run 5-6 times per week sometimes.

Maybe a week with one short vo2, 1 threshold, 1 long ride and 1 optional strength is more suited to my goal ? With 1 threshold, 1 specific paced brick, 1 long when season is coming ?

This weekend I'll spend some times adjusting my position
Thank you for your answers, yes french will be easier for me ^^
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

For base block, I will avoid the VO2 and threshold, and replace by longer sweetspot intervals (77% of max HR).

Then later you can introduce threshold, then later do a Vo2 period (few weeks, at 2 or 3 times a week).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just posted this that might be worth taking a look at. I have some updates to make to the guidance tonight but the schedule is final.

Interval Design Studio
YouTube | SoundCloud
Quote Reply
Re: British cycling off season base builder [fstrnu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, very interesting. I already did 4 weeks on the british cycling plan, it looks like pretty much the same as the plan you made (lot of sweetspot, some vo2). I'll stick with the british cycling, and avoid doing to much vo2 intervals.
I'll also try to keep my 5-6 running per weeks if I can.

Thanks a lot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,
Finaly, I decided to keep going with the british cycling base builder, I like the sessions and stay motivated.

But, for the run, I struggle to keep 3 short/2 medium/1 long. It's a lot of time/energy spent running and I don't know if compatible with a focus on the bike.

I've got 2 options:
-Put my short runs after the British Cyling indoor sessions, but reduce it to 20-25'+skip a short run (2 short, 2 medium, 1 long).
-Do 4 sessions per week, 1 long, 1 medium/short, 1 Lactate threshold, and 1 depending of the energy of the day (short hills, strides, VO2...)

Thank you
Quote Reply