Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Basic Question about Cable TV Service/Internet and Coax cables
Quote | Reply
Assume you have internet service. Modem and Main router is in Room 1. Assuming that I don't want to do any kind of mesh networking, can I simply plug in another modem into the wall/coax of Room 2?
I'll have to pay for additional modem service, yes no? (my own modem, none of that rental crap to the cable company).

Also, does splitting a coax cable degrade service/speed/quality? In cable TV or Internet speed?
Quote Reply
Re: Basic Question about Cable TV Service/Internet and Coax cables [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chan wrote:
Assume you have internet service. Modem and Main router is in Room 1. Assuming that I don't want to do any kind of mesh networking, can I simply plug in another modem into the wall/coax of Room 2?
I'll have to pay for additional modem service, yes no? (my own modem, none of that rental crap to the cable company).

Also, does splitting a coax cable degrade service/speed/quality? In cable TV or Internet speed?

Splitting coax degrades the OTA signal for certain. I don't know about the cable TV signal. I would guess yes.

You would have to have two internet accounts to use a second modem. Why not just run an ethernet cable to the other room?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Basic Question about Cable TV Service/Internet and Coax cables [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
You would have to have two internet accounts to use a second modem. Why not just run an ethernet cable to the other room?

We're debating all our options might consider Dish or similar instead.
Here's the scenario. Main House, Detached garage with pain cave (read: TV), and separate Mother in Law tiny house.
Trying to get cable service to MIL tiny house, BUT they have to run the cable underground, which is a definite no no for us. We have sprinklers, a septic, water and electricity between the main house and the MIL tiny house.
Digging through "JUST" for cable TV is not worth it. I'm 110% we'd hit something even being super careful.

One option we're considering is running coax to the garage BEHIND all those aforementioned utilities, from the main house. Then Pain Cave would have cable, and run coax from the other side of the garage to the tiny house (digging only 4 inches or bare minimum) so that we only cross one sprinkler line.

Hence the reason for my question. If I have coax, can I put a second modem in the tiny house through the coax. If needing second account, that seems overkill. So might run coax AND CAT5 at the same time digging from the garage to the tiny house. Basically brainstorming at this time.
Quote Reply
Re: Basic Question about Cable TV Service/Internet and Coax cables [Chan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chan wrote:
BLeP wrote:

We're debating all our options might consider Dish or similar instead.
Here's the scenario. Main House, Detached garage with pain cave (read: TV), and separate Mother in Law tiny house.
Trying to get cable service to MIL tiny house, BUT they have to run the cable underground, which is a definite no no for us. We have sprinklers, a septic, water and electricity between the main house and the MIL tiny house.
Digging through "JUST" for cable TV is not worth it. I'm 110% we'd hit something even being super careful.

One option we're considering is running coax to the garage BEHIND all those aforementioned utilities, from the main house. Then Pain Cave would have cable, and run coax from the other side of the garage to the tiny house (digging only 4 inches or bare minimum) so that we only cross one sprinkler line.

Hence the reason for my question. If I have coax, can I put a second modem in the tiny house through the coax. If needing second account, that seems overkill. So might run coax AND CAT5 at the same time digging from the garage to the tiny house. Basically brainstorming at this time.

Well, if you are going to bother running ethernet, don't run CAT5. CAT6. Hell, there might be a 7 by now, I haven't kept up on that.

Quote Reply
Re: Basic Question about Cable TV Service/Internet and Coax cables [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Well, if you are going to bother running ethernet, don't run CAT5. CAT6. Hell, there might be a 7 by now, I haven't kept up on that.

Yes good looking out. I wasnt sure what the "generic" name for wired internet of the latest standard. Ethernet escaped my mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chan wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Yes good looking out. I wasnt sure what the "generic" name for wired internet of the latest standard. Ethernet escaped my mind.

Cat 6 ethernet is what you would want these days apparently. IF you were to go that route.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it have to be wired?

Signal boosters might be your answer. Kinda mesh-network-lite. Plug-in signal repeaters. https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-RE7000/ or eq.
Quote Reply
Re: Basic Question about Cable TV Service/Internet and Coax cables [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scorpio516 wrote:

Signal boosters might be your answer. Kinda mesh-network-lite. Plug-in signal repeaters. https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-RE7000/ or eq.

I guess cable tv is more important than internet for MIL. In the case of cable, seems they say it MUST be run underground.

Dish network has recently dropped some spanish channels. Seems I'll look into DirecTV and or keep spectrum plus a bit of labor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chan wrote:
scorpio516 wrote:

I guess cable tv is more important than internet for MIL. In the case of cable, seems they say it MUST be run underground.

Dish network has recently dropped some spanish channels. Seems I'll look into DirecTV and or keep spectrum plus a bit of labor.

yeah, not a solution for TV. There is wireless HDMI but I don't think it's got enough range for what your talking, and then she'd have very little control.

In your investigation, also look at DirecTV Now.
Quote Reply
Re: Basic Question about Cable TV Service/Internet and Coax cables [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Direct TV has a wireless set up for the whole house. Basically a video router attached to your Satellite connection and internet. Boxes at each TV wireless that get the signal from the router. Not sure on the range for your application but worth the ask.

We have our hub upstairs and main TV down stairs as well as a couple of others in the house all using the same wireless link for TV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two modems would require two subscriptions. The modem is the connection to your ISP.

You could plug in another router but that creates two networks. You could use a switch which basically splits up your existing network.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Basic Question about Cable TV Service/Internet and Coax cables [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Two modems would require two subscriptions. The modem is the connection to your ISP.

You could plug in another router but that creates two networks. You could use a switch which basically splits up your existing network.

Fancy seeing you here!
Seems for the time being we'll just run coax. Eventually we'll get the latest and greatest mesh network.
Quote Reply
Re: Basic Question about Cable TV Service/Internet and Coax cables [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can run a modem (Docsis 2.0 modems have 2 ethernet outlets actually) and then a wifi router into that modem, then another wifi router in parallel (and then plug ethernet connections into that second router).

At least, I think you can.
Quote Reply
Re: Basic Question about Cable TV Service/Internet and Coax cables [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
You can run a modem (Docsis 2.0 modems have 2 ethernet outlets actually) and then a wifi router into that modem, then another wifi router in parallel (and then plug ethernet connections into that second router).

At least, I think you can.

I looked at Docsis technology back in June/July when we moved into our new home that was built in 1994 and wired with all coax. Since we didn't want TWC/Spectrum as our ISP (we had issues at our old home) and I didn't want to use "older" technology (coax) to transfer data to at least five locations within the home, I opted to spend the money for 7 Cat5/Cat6 drops. AT&T offered us a promo price of $75 per drop (1/2 off), brought a crew of 6-7 installers, and had the job completed in 2 hours. As a price comparison based upon square footage of our home and not knowing if the previously installed coax is usable, we could not have matched the Cat5/Cat6 option. However, I do have a use for the existing coax when it comes to a security system installation - I can use the coax to create a hard wired system instead of using bandwidth if I opted for WiFi.
Quote Reply
Re: Basic Question about Cable TV Service/Internet and Coax cables [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you referring to MoCa? Never tried but have used Powerline Networking; similar technology I guess.

https://www.amazon.com/...oding=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We use wireless ethernet bridges all the time for industrial equipment control where it is not practical to run a CAT 6.

Here are some examples:

Quote Reply
Re: Basic Question about Cable TV Service/Internet and Coax cables [timmar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always wondered if this was a "thing". I'll definitely add this to my to research list.
Quote Reply
Re: Basic Question about Cable TV Service/Internet and Coax cables [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
Are you referring to MoCa? Never tried but have used Powerline Networking; similar technology I guess.

https://www.amazon.com/...oding=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, I meant MoCA. By the time I added up the cost for the associated hardware and time to install, it made sense to go with Cat5/6 drops.
Quote Reply