Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2011 Speed Concept seat post clamp stuck
Quote | Reply
I haven’t moved the seat post in a couple of years and now trying a different saddle and the clamp is stuck. This thing was always a bit of a pain but I haven’t dealt with it for a while and am lost on how to un stick the clamp. Suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Speed Concept seat post clamp stuck [MustGoFaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MustGoFaster wrote:
I haven’t moved the seat post in a couple of years and now trying a different saddle and the clamp is stuck. This thing was always a bit of a pain but I haven’t dealt with it for a while and am lost on how to un stick the clamp. Suggestions?

If you've been able to loosen the bolt in the wedge so that it is no longer touching the seatpost, then a tap with a rubber mallet always did the trick for me. I'd tap it from the back to push it towards the wedge. Obviously you don't want to hit it so hard that you could crack the carbon fiber! Hope that works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MustGoFaster wrote:

Loosen the clamp bolt several turns using a long or t-handle Allen wrench then with the wrench end still in the bolt bump it hard with your palm, or tap lightly with a hammer. This should release the wedge from between the front of the post and the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heat gun but be cautious - rubber mallet - beat on it but be cautious

Retul Certified Fitter. gebioMized Pressure Mapping http://www.PedPowerPerformLab.com.
Retailer of Wahoo Fitness, Sable Water Optics, Enve Composit, Giro and more.
Zone3 USA Ambassador - use code DEAN25 for 25% off
http://www.OasisOne-Twelve.com - The ultimate hands free hydration system.
https://www.athlinks.com/athletes/19354499 - results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t use a blowtorch. Apparently the result will not be what you expect.
Rubber mallet on Allen wrench still inserted in bolt - angle towards front of bike. It’s on YouTube.
Last edited by: Trigirl357: Oct 29, 18 23:29
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Speed Concept seat post clamp stuck [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trigirl357 wrote:
Don’t use a blowtorch. Apparently the result will not be what you expect.
Rubber mallet on Allen wrench still inserted in bolt - angle towards front of bike. It’s on YouTube.

Thanks to everyone for the responses, but I’m a little stuck on angle the bolt to the front of the bike. It’s not a long bolt so I’m not sure how to accomplish this.

A picture is worth a thousand words but no luck finding this on YouTube (guess something is wrong with my search criteria).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MustGoFaster wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the responses, but I’m a little stuck on angle the bolt to the front of the bike. It’s not a long bolt so I’m not sure how to accomplish this.

A picture is worth a thousand words but no luck finding this on YouTube (guess something is wrong with my search criteria).

Here is a good one.
Hitting it straight down may work too. Otherwise I angle the top part of the allen wrench a little towards the rear and the bottom of the allen wrench (touchng the bolt) angled a little forward. You will hear that loud snap like in the video. It's the wedge releasing it's lock.
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Speed Concept seat post clamp stuck [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a seat wedge install video but it gives you an idea of what the wedge looks like and how it works. If it's been a while since you have seen it, it may be a good refresher to see what you are working with.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There were several poor design decisions with the first gen SC that were fixed with the second gen. The worst being that dumbass seatpost wedge. Getting it in and out was only the second most frustrating part of the design. The worst was that if torqued anywhere close to spec it cracked the seat post. I had my first gen SC for a little over two years and I went through four seat posts. First one I cracked, second one cracked by bike shop, third one cracked by bike fitter, and fourth one cracked by bike shop.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 Speed Concept seat post clamp stuck [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone for the feedback and videos. I couldn’t get it to go and was ready to give up but backed out the bolt a little more and gave it one more whack (with Gman’s 4 cracked seatposts echoing in my ears) and it loosened. Moving forward 👍.
Quote Reply