Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Kona Bike Count
Quote | Reply
With bike check in today any predictions on biggest mover one way or another from the 2017 Kona count?

Cervelo 561
Trek 261
Specialized 216
Felt 177
Argon 18 146
Canyon 102
BMC 101
Scott 100
Giant 88
Quintana Roo 84
Ceepo 65
Cannondale 64
Ventum 37
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Bike Count [ClarkWGriz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo will win again but it's probably because it's the same people coming to Kona over and over and over. Felt will increase and so will Ventum.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Oct 12, 18 12:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big jump for Canyon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Top four stay the same. Canyon jumps to 5th and will be within 25 of Felt’s number.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really a prediction, but I hope QR sees a jump. Not even an owner of one, I just like the products they put out.

I'm dying to see deets on that new PRfour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Argon 18 numbers are surprising to me. I wonder if this represents close to market share....I would expect general market numbers to be higher for them so the fact that they are top 5 at Kona is very surprising. I wouldn’t expect Ceepo to be so high too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ClarkWGriz wrote:
With bike check in today any predictions on biggest mover one way or another from the 2017 Kona count?

Cervelo 561
Trek 261
Specialized 216
Felt 177
Argon 18 146
Canyon 102
BMC 101
Scott 100
Giant 88
Quintana Roo 84
Ceepo 65
Cannondale 64
Ventum 37

Just curious - do you know who is organizing the count this year? It was always LAVA Magazine, but now that they folded (at least that's what I heard) - who is doing it?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Bike Count [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregk wrote:

Just curious - do you know who is organizing the count this year? It was always LAVA Magazine, but now that they folded (at least that's what I heard) - who is doing it?

Sounds like you'd better get your butt on a plane pronto!
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Bike Count [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
gregk wrote:

Sounds like you'd better get your butt on a plane pronto!

Ha! ;) I think it's probably too late to start a GoFundMe to buy that plane ticket...
Last edited by: gregk: Oct 12, 18 14:25
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Bike Count [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always interesting as since this is such an international mix, I think some bike brands are much bigger in other parts of the world than us in the states realize.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Bike Count [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Cervelo will win again but it's probably because it's the same people coming to Kona over and over and over. Felt will increase and so will Ventum.

Definite increase for Ventum. I hear about 25 people are in Kona this year because they bought the special edition bike with the WC promotion. The real question is whether that will translate into another bump for 2019 or will they go backwards if there is no repeat promotion.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Bike Count [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was there a bike count this year? If so, can someone post a link to the results? Thank you very much.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Bike Count [mrevets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrevets wrote:
Was there a bike count this year? If so, can someone post a link to the results? Thank you very much.

Bike check-in is underway. The line is backed up to the Kuakini as of a few minutes ago. If there is a count underway I doubt you’d see results today.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Bike Count [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very popular outside US. In the states not so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the 2018 count.

Cervelo – 487
Trek – 256
Specialized – 189
Felt – 185
Canyon – 130
Argon 18 – 118
Scott – 110
BMC – 108
QR – 97
Giant – 92
Ceepo – 70
Cannondale – 60
Ventum – 49
Dimond – 43
Cube – 29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ClarkWGriz wrote:
Here is the 2018 count.

Cervelo – 487
Trek – 256
Specialized – 189
Felt – 185
Canyon – 130
Argon 18 – 118
Scott – 110
BMC – 108
QR – 97
Giant – 92
Ceepo – 70
Cannondale – 60
Ventum – 49
Dimond – 43
Cube – 29

Thank you!

That's not good for Ventum, is it? Especially if 25 of those were for the WC entry offer.

The top end is very stable - in fact it's quite interesting how consistent the list is with 2017 - considering there are a lot of first timers each year. Canyon would maybe have expected more.

Does this say sponsorship helps, or doesn't matter? I can't decide. Someone with expertise can, hopefully.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Bike Count [mrevets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The full list of the Kona bike count is on triathlete. com
Looking at wheels the top 10 is:

Wheels (individual)
Zipp – 1,609
Enve – 385
Other – 260
HED – 260
Reynolds – 225
Bontrager – 213
Mavic – 210
Roval – 162
DT Swiss – 124
Profile – 90

And apparently 132 disc brake wheels, more then I expected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ventum from 37 to only 49 after a year of really hard and consistent marketing? And if 25 are the 'buy a Ventum' bike (i dont think its that high) means they lost a off of last year. Either way, that seems like a crappy jump with all that spend/publicity. Perhaps the jump will occur next year once there has been a full cycle for people to buy, train and qualify? I'd hope...

Personally I like to see that Dimond went from 31 to 43. That would include at least one rider I know of who has been at Kona last few years on a Dimond now riding a Ventum.

Only 132 disc wheels/66 bikes? That seems like a terrible indicator for adoption, sure there are limited offerings of bikes offering but thats around 3% of the total bikes at the race with the likely the largest percentage of gear crazy, spend whatever it takes mentality.

2024: IM Hamburg
Last edited by: xcrogers: Oct 13, 18 0:36
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Bike Count [xcrogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The huge majority of disc brake bikes were made up by P5-X. There were 39 of them.

Quote | Reply
Ironman organized it via Brad Culp.

Quote | Reply
I feel like there are a couple of brands missing from the aerobar count. You might have heard of Zipp?
Enve not in the posted results either.
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Bike Count [waitebe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the average age of bikes in Kona ?
Pro change every year, but most AG don't
2 to 3 years in average ? what do you think ?

If 2 to 3 years average, renew completely the park to disk will take a minimum of 4 to 6 years.

This year, with pretty much only P5x, Andean, ... available with disk, small figure make sense.

Next year (2019), if 1/5 bike renewed, and a reasonable part of high end bike bought on disk (not yet most medium price, there is nearly none in the market, few will appear like Felt IA2/IA3, maybe later P3Disk), we could go to 1/3 of 1/5, which is around 7%

So 7% of disk bike in 2019 will make sense to me.
If more, success ?
If less, slow start ?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Bike Count [siemons] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
siemons wrote:
The full list of the Kona bike count is on triathlete. com
Looking at wheels the top 10 is:

Wheels (individual)
Zipp – 1,609
Enve – 385
Other – 260
HED – 260
Reynolds – 225
Bontrager – 213
Mavic – 210
Roval – 162
DT Swiss – 124
Profile – 90

And apparently 132 disc brake wheels, more then I expected.

I’m surprised FLO is not in this list.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Bike Count [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if they would be included in other?
Quote Reply
Re: Kona Bike Count [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My thought exactly. I’d think they’re big enough to not be in the other and I’ve seen many pics this week of bikes with FLO wheels so I can’t beleive they’re not at least at that 90 mark.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next