Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please.
Quote | Reply
Good morning, Slowtwitch.

A couple of years ago, I posted on the forum asking you take my survey on mental toughness for a study I was conducting. Many of you participated, and for that, I thank you. The study has been published, and you can access the paper here. If are interested in knowing your mental toughness score, you can take a quiz that I developed based on the study results.

I am once again coming to you to ask you to participate in another research study which I am leading, The Athlete PEACE Survey. This study has been approved by an Institutional Review Board. We aim to understand cannabis use, knowledge, and attitudes in athletes and whether cannabis experience play a role in pain and well-being. Athlete is self-defined. It doesn't matter your speed or years in sport. It also doesn't matter if you are a never user, past user, or current user of cannabis -- we want all types of cannabis experience!

Cannabis is a hot topic in the world of sports. Cannabis is legal in many states and countries, and athletes are a target audience for companies. It is unknown, though, what the athlete cannabis experience really is -- who is using it and why and does it help for pain? We are trying to uncover these questions. We rely on you to help us answer these questions so please participate.

https://www.surveygizmo.com/...Athlete-PEACE-Survey

(I attached a document with the call to action, forgive me if it didn't come through).

Thanks so much! Your contribution to science is much appreciated.

Joanna Zeiger
Quote Reply
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [Joannazeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just took the survey via mobile phone. Section k of the last section didn't have a 'not applicable' choice, but the question said it should.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [Joannazeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joanna - Took the PEACE survey and also the Sisu quiz. Cheers, Eric.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much Eric. I appreciate your participation.
Quote Reply
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up. I will look into it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done! I look forward to your results on this one in particular.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should also mention: please let me know if you have any questions regarding the mental toughness study. I will do my best to answer them. I will post information about The Athlete PEACE Survey when they become available.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to those who participated. I appreciate your help. Please share the survey link with your training buddies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, done.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for your participation!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done both now.

I found it difficult to answer some of the cannabis quiz questions as I've been sick and disabled for almost 4 years, so my answers may skew your data in terms of frequency of exercise and cannabis use.

For the toughness quiz, how, if at all, did you account for narcissistic personality disorder? I would assume narcissists score very high on this quiz. It would be interesting to see the results if narcissists' data was removed.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would venture to say that "narcissists" prove the quiz works? The point is to show that you either do or don't have mental toughness. A narcissist would indeed score very high in the confidence, self-esteem, determination, etc. but I wouldn't call that a skew in the data as those things obviously are part of the mental toughness calculation.

I guess if you are asking, how do you account for the people who purposefully answer the questions in a way that would give them the best result, I do not know, lol. Too much statistical sciences with means and derivatives and confidence levels for my taste.
Quote Reply
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [triball13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triball13 wrote:
I would venture to say that "narcissists" prove the quiz works? The point is to show that you either do or don't have mental toughness. A narcissist would indeed score very high in the confidence, self-esteem, determination, etc. but I wouldn't call that a skew in the data as those things obviously are part of the mental toughness calculation.

I guess if you are asking, how do you account for the people who purposefully answer the questions in a way that would give them the best result, I do not know, lol. Too much statistical sciences with means and derivatives and confidence levels for my taste.

I guess I'm also assuming their is a conflict among narcissists between what they subjectively report and their objective behaviour. Sure, they say they're tough as nails, but do their results back that up?

Would there also be a learning curve for mental toughness? The longer you've done triathlon, the more 'tough' psychological strategies you've developed (hopefully). Maybe the data will show that correlation lending credence to my purported causation.

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
Quote Reply
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Scotttriguy. We did not adjust for narcissism, as this was not an objective of our study. We merely wanted to measure mental toughness, without regard to whether it is dysfunctional. Our goal was to see if there are differences in MT by demographics and how MT relates to outcomes.

We did find that athletes who were in the sport longer had higher levels of mental toughness. Here is the study link if you are interested in all of the results: https://journals.plos.org/....pone.0193071#sec008

Thanks for your interest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Joanna - I gave your Plosone article a quick peruse and this bolded term made me chuckle:

“The attributes in this subcomponent relate to factors that contribute to performers’ unshakable belief through their awareness and inner arrogance and how this belief results in performers’ reaching their true potential, despite obstacles and barriers that people or organizations put in their path.[69]”

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol, sometimes a little "inner-arrogance" is needed for success! Too much, you're an asshole. Too little, you lack confidence. It's a delicate balance.

By the way, I like your tagline. I repeat to myself nearly daily "Embrace the suck."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Joannazeiger wrote:
Lol, sometimes a little "inner-arrogance" is needed for success! Too much, you're an asshole. Too little, you lack confidence. It's a delicate balance.

By the way, I like your tagline. I repeat to myself nearly daily "Embrace the suck."

ha - you've evidently chugged the mental toughness kool-aid.

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PEACE quiz completed

Thank you and good luck; I also forwarded the links to another running forum I hang out on, if that's okay?

For the record, legendary straight-edge Henry Rollins is a marijuana supporter

https://www.rollingstone.com/...pot-advocate-192909/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for taking the survey and thanks for sharing the link! I am looking for a very big sample, so spreading the word helps immensely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I don't do cannibas, although I've always been curious about the "special brownies" you can buy don't at the corner by Rayback's. Heck, I barely drink & didn't even take a Jello shot at Halloween from you, I'd be no use to your study, too "square" I guess. Good luck though on your study.
Quote Reply
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Rocky M. Thanks for your response. I want to be clear that is doesn't matter if you have never used cannabis. Our goal is to better understand cannabis use behavior, including no use at all. Your participation counts, so please take a few minutes and fill out the survey and pass it along to your friends!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took the survey, the weed questions were weird...you should probably also track alcohol in these and then extrapolate even if you're wanting to see what cannabis does (or if it's a placebo).

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, it's about cannabis only

No need to make it about anything else; that would be a whole other study

Joanna knows what she's doing

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your insightful comment. Alcohol has been fairly well characterized in athletes, so we decided not to complicate this study by adding in an alcohol component. However, future studies could look at the combined effects of alcohol and cannabis in athletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Research Study for Athletes: Your participation is needed. Please. [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your vote of confidence!!
Quote Reply

Prev Next