Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Swim-Run: If you want to talk about it...
Quote | Reply
... talk without starting an obvious troll thread. (if you don't know what i'm talking about, you just missed the thread.)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Swim-Run: If you want to talk about it... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I say aquathlon I don’t think I really know what I am talking about
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one of the coolest things I've ever done... it was such an adventure and not a "race". Total fun, complete blast.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Swim-Run: If you want to talk about it... [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with Eric. It was a blast to be swimming from island to island in Casco Bay. I've done two races now, once as part of a team and once solo. Both were fun and it was a great group of people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swear technology is too smart......I found this in my social media feed "25 kinda stupid people who are also super hilarious"

It was seriously titled

SWIM RUN

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is a subtle troll thread acceptable?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most fun I’ve had in a race! Right up my alley being a good swimmer and a pretty decent trail runner. It’s a great break from the (really getting bored with it) swim around some buoys, ride a coned in course and run out and back on another coned course. I talked to some racers at Casco Bay that had also done Ironman and they said this kicked their butt way harder, but they liked SwimRun more. As the late, great Jeff Cole said, “It’s not Triathlon!” And no, he wasn’t being a dick saying that. (Some will understand that)

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim-Run has that 'inmates running the asylum' vibe, plus it feels more organic along the lines of the Ugly Dog Triathlon. The Casco Bay event was a blast. The entire concept of running in a wetsuit and swimming in shoes is frankly so stupid I find it irresistible. It's definitely something you can do ad-hoc without having to worry about locking up a bike.

Now someone needs to set one up for Madison, WI. I have heard people protest Madison's not rural enough for the trail running or whatever but they're missing the point. Given the layout of the city and water, it'd be a hoot.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim-Run: If you want to talk about it... [BartLongacre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BartLongacre wrote:
Now someone needs to set one up for Madison, WI. I have heard people protest Madison's not rural enough for the trail running or whatever but they're missing the point. Given the layout of the city and water, it'd be a hoot.
San Diego hosts several in Mission Bay. Flat water swims and sidewalk + grass running. They’re all considered sprints – 12k or so and a blast to do.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anybody know of a swim-run in the Adirondacks? Seems like a good place for it and I might give it a go up there.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim-Run: If you want to talk about it... [BartLongacre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BartLongacre wrote:
Swim-Run has that 'inmates running the asylum' vibe, plus it feels more organic... The Casco Bay event was a blast. The entire concept of running in a wetsuit and swimming in shoes is frankly so stupid I find it irresistible. It's definitely something you can do ad-hoc without having to worry about locking up a bike.

So true, it's not triathlon. I loved it when he said that to the group. He answered a question- 'No, there may not be a ribbon that's easy to spot and you may have to look around...work together, find it...'. THAT doesn't happen in IM, it's a yellow brick road. And although SOS was my favorite race, Casco-Bay is very close behind it with Savageman next. That's 0/3 on IM races. But it is true that I'm an IM killer, so maybe I should sign up for a few more... (IM Poconos 70.3 2011, IM Austin 70.3 2016, IM Syracuse 70.3 2018)

I was talking to him (Jeff) about the event (at Casco Bay 2017) and he just lived and breathed it. A great loss and he was a champion for it. Lars was cool too.

And it IS really fun and challenging. This, from a AOS who survived 5 miles of open ocean swimming with current and it has lifted my swim confidence and ability in triathlon to new heights.

Worthy of consideration, even if 'the one who should not be named' does it.

(do you think I am I going to get my post pulled for that??)
Last edited by: dtoce: Sep 18, 18 17:28
Quote Reply
Re: Swim-Run: If you want to talk about it... [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:

San Diego hosts several in Mission Bay. Flat water swims and sidewalk + grass running. They’re all considered sprints – 12k or so and a blast to do.

Swim-runs where all you need is a swimsuit, goggles and running shoes attract me (even better if you don't need shoes). When I see the equipment most folks are using in the longer, temperate swim-runs, it leaves me cold (pun intended) because it is too much like triathlon in terms of equipment needs. Paddles and pull buoys in a race, really? Running while wearing a swim cap is bad enough. :)
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Sep 18, 18 18:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only reason I ride a bike is to do tris. Biking is my weakest link. I had two bad spills way back in the day, just bad road rash each time, no broken bones, but scared me to death each time. Bikes are a pain to transport. I've heard about these swim/run and my try one next summer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan, can we have an update on all the US & Euro Swim Run gear & reviews? I know there were some Euros that started a company & some new suits released by I think the winners of Otillo? Shorts looked more lycra rubber coated but it's been a while...so I may recall incorrectly. Either way...update with pics plz?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These really intrigue me. I wonder about what it's like to run in wet shoes. Any issues with blisters? I guess you don't wear socks?

To the folks that have done one: Did you train with paddles all the time? I don't use paddles at all due to shoulder problems as an age group/high school swimmer. Is that an issue?

Looks like a lot of fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Swim-Run: If you want to talk about it... [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I plan to do more along those lines.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim-Run: If you want to talk about it... [Jason AZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I guess it depends on the course. I would recommend wool socks and at least 3/4 high so they cover your ankles. I have done races as long as 48km of running and 6km of swimming and not yet had a blister after one of these. Running in wet shoes is not bad as most shoes drain well.

I slowly built up my shoulders with smaller paddles, but now swim almost exclusively with paddles and pull buoy. My master swim coaches are actually letting me be the odd bird. :-)

Jason AZ wrote:
These really intrigue me. I wonder about what it's like to run in wet shoes. Any issues with blisters? I guess you don't wear socks?

To the folks that have done one: Did you train with paddles all the time? I don't use paddles at all due to shoulder problems as an age group/high school swimmer. Is that an issue?

Looks like a lot of fun!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I´ve done 13 straight ÖTILLÖ and very rarely had a blister at those events or any other swimrun. Triathlon running beat my feet up way worse. The reason probably being that at most swimrun races you´re on soft and varied surfaces and running at a lower speed than in any given triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You also want to wear socks to avoid gravel and sand to get in the shoes. Basically wear the same shoes/setup as you would on a trail run.
I do a lot of paddle/pullbouy in preparation for swimrun, typical set is 30x100 LCM starting on 1.30.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim-Run: If you want to talk about it... [Jonas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can any of the US events be done solo? These look like a lot of fun, just not sure I can find someone to do one with.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim-Run: If you want to talk about it... [Jonas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This man is a legend

Jonas wrote:
I´ve done 13 straight ÖTILLÖ and very rarely had a blister at those events or any other swimrun. Triathlon running beat my feet up way worse. The reason probably being that at most swimrun races you´re on soft and varied surfaces and running at a lower speed than in any given triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim-Run: If you want to talk about it... [newtridude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
newtridude wrote:
Can any of the US events be done solo? These look like a lot of fun, just not sure I can find someone to do one with.
Casco Bay and San Juan Islands both have solo entries for the short course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
BartLongacre wrote:

Yea but you need to be roped to another person. So I don't sign up even though in my backyard

There needs to be more love for aquathlons. UCSD will have one end of October.. 2 laps of 325m swims, 2 laps of 1.5mi runs. Total grass roots
Quote Reply
Re: Swim-Run: If you want to talk about it... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Yea but you need to be roped to another person. So I don't sign up even though in my backyard
You don’t need to be roped at the Mission Bay races. You just need to stay together. My partner and I are pretty equal on both swim and run, so it wasn’t a problem staying close. The tether, though, is a great equalizer primarily for the swim, but I can see it helping some teams on the run. In some ultra team running races, tethers are used.
Casco Bay requires you to have a tether, but you don’t have to use it. You don’t have to use paddles and buoys, either. You can use fins, but you must carry them on the run as well as figure what to do with your shoes on the swim.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Regardless, I do this for individual effort reason. So team requirement will be the limiter of the sport's growth
Last edited by: synthetic: Sep 19, 18 11:11
Quote Reply

Prev Next