Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: More smoke [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cohen has tapes on the meeting. Plus other people were there who will - like Cohen - decide it isn’t worth going to jail over this.

The US had a good week by the way. 4% growth, EU trade deals. It is too bad that this won’t be Trumps legacy. But DJ: it won’t be. You will get on board eventually. I am not your enemy. Russia is your enemy. Once you accept that, we will move on.
Quote Reply
Re: More smoke [swimwithstones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimwithstones wrote:
DJRed wrote:
Guess what? It still doesn't mean that Trump's positions on immigration or the second amendment are less viable. That's the part you'll never get (because you don't want to).

I think it's fair to say Trump's critics are very aware of his conservative stances on immigration, second amendment, etc. I'm sure they're very against those things and I'm sure many are working to counter him. It's foolish to think the president's personal behavior is enough to stop these people from continuing to work to counter him.

What troubles me, personally, is the idea many Trump supporters seem to have (and which you seem to be endorsing yourself above) that it's worth debasing the office of the president for these goals.

You acknowledge Trump constantly lies, attacks his own citizens for perceived slights, offends allies, etc. ad infinitum, but you dismiss all of this because you agree with some of the laws he's changing. By doing this, you've just put a price tag on how you value of the office of the president. I hate to say think about that, but think about that.

I will engage with you on this as your post seems reasoned.

Being careful to skirt "what-about-ism", I lost general respect for the office of the president back to Clinton, who was the first President I really followed due to my age (I was in college and just entering the workforce). Carry that forward to Bush and Obama, and we really didn't improve much in integrity.

Take a deep breath and really think about that.

Do you believe Bush got us into a big mess in Iraq over questionable intelligence, for example?

Do you believe Obama's Iran deal was less than transparent, for example?

There are many other questionable things in all administrations but that's not the point of this thread.

I believe that almost all politicians are scumbags (R's, D's, all of them). Some of them are just more adept at hiding it, but that skill doesn't give the office of the president more value. That just makes it more sneaky - - to me at least.

To me, Trump saying out loud that Russia didn't interfere with the election is better than Obama getting caught on a hot mic telling Russian Dmitri Medvedev he would have more flexibility to negotiate on issues like missile defense after the 2012 election.

They are both liars and scum. One of them just hides it better and I think that's more dangerous.

So, yes, I no longer hold any politician in high regard due simply to their elected office. I care solely about their positions on the issues.

Would I love to have a wholesome person in the Whitehouse? You bet. Problem is, by definition, wholesome people can't amass that kind of power. It's sad, but it's true. Deals have to be made. Rings have to be kissed. Ignoring one's own personal value system is expected.

Taking it full circle, I abhor the fact that the attacks on Trump are presented from a position of moral superiority. MSNBC's Brian Williams is an admitted and proven liar, but every night he leads a gaggling pack idiots who attack Trump on his own morality. No, you do not get to do that.

I'd much prefer we not use personal attacks to undermine the issues. I get it, people don't like Trump's position on immigration, for example, so they want him out of office. Instead of attacking Trump personally to get at his immigration stance, let's debate how to improve immigration. Cover that 24/7 with facts on CNN and Fox. Or legitimately cover the $21.2 trillion dollars of national debt we have. Or how about a 24/7 primer on social security.

I know that's never going to happen so I will now forever look beyond the person and may indeed find myself supporting despicable human beings simply because they are on the correct side of the issues for me.

If you really think about it and you are intellectually honest, you will agree this is where we are today in our politics. There is no middle ground. There is no compromise.

We will vote for a convicted pedophile if that pedophile is also pro-choice. The alternative of a non-vote or a vote for a pro-life candidate is simply not acceptable. There is no other option.

Similarly, we will vote for a KKK grand wizard if that grand wizard is also pro-second amendment.

We are absolutely at the point where things are so fringe and so black and white that you are forced to ignore the candidate. We are not being given a choice between two decent human beings who have overlap on 75% of the issues. In that case, I might make a call on the integrity of the person.

Instead, we are given the choice between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. Both terrible, manipulative human beings, who are diametrically opposite on almost everything. In that case, you swallow hard and vote your issues. The alternative of a non-vote or a vote for a candidate who is opposed to what I support is simply not acceptable. There is no other option.

This is plain and simply the exact reason why Trump's approval doesn't change among R's, regardless of what is uncovered about him. They really could not care less about him as a person. He's simply a vessel...a means to getting their way.

Dems are no different.

Please think about this before beating me up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Guess what? It still doesn't mean that Trump's positions on immigration or the second amendment are less viable. That's the part you'll never get (because you don't want to). "

You let your slip show with this post. No one was talking about his policy positions. This sums up Republicans in a nutshell.

President has policies you like: he can do anything he wants and you will forgive him for it.
President has policies you don't like: BENGHAZI!!!!!

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: More smoke [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
"Guess what? It still doesn't mean that Trump's positions on immigration or the second amendment are less viable. That's the part you'll never get (because you don't want to). "

You let your slip show with this post. No one was talking about his policy positions. This sums up Republicans in a nutshell.

President has policies you like: he can do anything he wants and you will forgive him for it.
President has policies you don't like: BENGHAZI!!!!!

Read the post above this one. Forget about my slip. I showed my balls.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your post is well thought out and likely that most people agree with it, on both sides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
swimwithstones wrote:
DJRed wrote:
Guess what? It still doesn't mean that Trump's positions on immigration or the second amendment are less viable. That's the part you'll never get (because you don't want to).

I think it's fair to say Trump's critics are very aware of his conservative stances on immigration, second amendment, etc. I'm sure they're very against those things and I'm sure many are working to counter him. It's foolish to think the president's personal behavior is enough to stop these people from continuing to work to counter him.

What troubles me, personally, is the idea many Trump supporters seem to have (and which you seem to be endorsing yourself above) that it's worth debasing the office of the president for these goals.

You acknowledge Trump constantly lies, attacks his own citizens for perceived slights, offends allies, etc. ad infinitum, but you dismiss all of this because you agree with some of the laws he's changing. By doing this, you've just put a price tag on how you value of the office of the president. I hate to say think about that, but think about that.

I will engage with you on this as your post seems reasoned.

Being careful to skirt "what-about-ism", I lost general respect for the office of the president back to Clinton, who was the first President I really followed due to my age (I was in college and just entering the workforce). Carry that forward to Bush and Obama, and we really didn't improve much in integrity.

Take a deep breath and really think about that.

Do you believe Bush got us into a big mess in Iraq over questionable intelligence, for example?

Do you believe Obama's Iran deal was less than transparent, for example?

There are many other questionable things in all administrations but that's not the point of this thread.

I believe that almost all politicians are scumbags (R's, D's, all of them). Some of them are just more adept at hiding it, but that skill doesn't give the office of the president more value. That just makes it more sneaky - - to me at least.

To me, Trump saying out loud that Russia didn't interfere with the election is better than Obama getting caught on a hot mic telling Russian Dmitri Medvedev he would have more flexibility to negotiate on issues like missile defense after the 2012 election.

They are both liars and scum. One of them just hides it better and I think that's more dangerous.

So, yes, I no longer hold any politician in high regard due simply to their elected office. I care solely about their positions on the issues.

Would I love to have a wholesome person in the Whitehouse? You bet. Problem is, by definition, wholesome people can't amass that kind of power. It's sad, but it's true. Deals have to be made. Rings have to be kissed. Ignoring one's own personal value system is expected.

Taking it full circle, I abhor the fact that the attacks on Trump are presented from a position of moral superiority. MSNBC's Brian Williams is an admitted and proven liar, but every night he leads a gaggling pack idiots who attack Trump on his own morality. No, you do not get to do that.

I'd much prefer we not use personal attacks to undermine the issues. I get it, people don't like Trump's position on immigration, for example, so they want him out of office. Instead of attacking Trump personally to get at his immigration stance, let's debate how to improve immigration. Cover that 24/7 with facts on CNN and Fox. Or legitimately cover the $21.2 trillion dollars of national debt we have. Or how about a 24/7 primer on social security.

I know that's never going to happen so I will now forever look beyond the person and may indeed find myself supporting despicable human beings simply because they are on the correct side of the issues for me.

If you really think about it and you are intellectually honest, you will agree this is where we are today in our politics. There is no middle ground. There is no compromise.

We will vote for a convicted pedophile if that pedophile is also pro-choice. The alternative of a non-vote or a vote for a pro-life candidate is simply not acceptable. There is no other option.

Similarly, we will vote for a KKK grand wizard if that grand wizard is also pro-second amendment.

We are absolutely at the point where things are so fringe and so black and white that you are forced to ignore the candidate. We are not being given a choice between two decent human beings who have overlap on 75% of the issues. In that case, I might make a call on the integrity of the person.

Instead, we are given the choice between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. Both terrible, manipulative human beings, who are diametrically opposite on almost everything. In that case, you swallow hard and vote your issues. The alternative of a non-vote or a vote for a candidate who is opposed to what I support is simply not acceptable. There is no other option.

This is plain and simply the exact reason why Trump's approval doesn't change among R's, regardless of what is uncovered about him. They really could not care less about him as a person. He's simply a vessel...a means to getting their way.

Dems are no different.

Please think about this before beating me up.

Wow dude, your Trump Derangement Syndrome (TDS) is showing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm having trouble seeing your point of view on a few things here.

From what you've written, it looks like you've decided all politicians are scum and are using that as a given. With that as a starting point, you seem to have said that if a politician purposely acts like scum, then at least he's being transparent. On the other hand, if a politician does not look scummy, then he is just good at hiding his scumminess, and that's even worse. You've created an argument by which appearing to act dishonorably is better than appearing to act honorably.

I agree that Clinton damaged the presidency. I don't agree that Bush or Obama did.

I don't agree that all politicians are scumbags, but I do agree that the more power a person amasses, the more difficult it is to retain integrity. The best politicians are the ones who put country before themselves, and to do that means understanding the machinations of the existing political machine and weighing what does the most good (as you see it). I think Trump completely lacks both these things, and doesn't care that he lacks them - in fact I think he views these things as weaknesses.

I agree tribalism is extremely high right now. But I don't agree that people held their noses when they voted for Trump. Conservatives preferred him to 16 other more qualified candidates who would have put conservatives on the bench, worked on immigration, and done all the things a conservative president would do. Instead, they chose someone who lived a life largely in opposition to their beliefs. He was elected because of his personality, not in spite of it.

What I don't understand is why those voters wanted that personality to hold the office of the presidency.
Last edited by: swimwithstones: Jul 27, 18 8:17
Quote Reply
Re: More smoke [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:
Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's former personal attorney, claims that then-candidate Trump knew in advance about the June 2016 meeting in Trump Tower in which Russians were expected to offer his campaign dirt on Hillary Clinton, sources with knowledge tell CNN. Cohen is willing to make that assertion to special counsel Robert Mueller, the sources said.

NO COLUSION

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: More smoke [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
sphere wrote:
Quote:
Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump's former personal attorney, claims that then-candidate Trump knew in advance about the June 2016 meeting in Trump Tower in which Russians were expected to offer his campaign dirt on Hillary Clinton, sources with knowledge tell CNN. Cohen is willing to make that assertion to special counsel Robert Mueller, the sources said.

NO COLUSION

My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it’s pretty serious.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it’s pretty serious.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
jmh wrote:
sphere wrote:
Quote:

NO COLUSION

Given that he says "No Collusion" at nearly every opportunity, the President doth protest too much, methinks.

Come on, not even a bit of doubt that Trump crossed the line? Is there even a tiny crack in your faith in him?

If not, please share with me how you can ignore the mountains of evidence that he is a person of little integrity and low morale character. What makes you think that his claim of "No Collusion" is no different?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's amazing how quick people are to dismiss his clear intent to do what may not be legally provable.

They knowingly tried to get dirt on Hillary from a presumed/known Russian Operative. Trump promised dirt was forthcoming in light of the knowledge of that meeting. Denied all knowledge of the meeting, which was transparently false. Then he tried to cover it up by writing the false statement for Donnie Jr.

What they're saying is, it's OK to collude with our nation's enemy, so long as he would have benefitted personally from it and HILLARY'S EMAILS!

It really is sad to witness. And I have no love for Hillary whatsoever.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:

Or maybe just being silly on Friday?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
DJRed wrote:
jmh wrote:
sphere wrote:
Quote:

NO COLUSION

Given that he says "No Collusion" at nearly every opportunity, the President doth protest too much, methinks.

Come on, not even a bit of doubt that Trump crossed the line? Is there even a tiny crack in your faith in him?

If not, please share with me how you can ignore the mountains of evidence that he is a person of little integrity and low morale character. What makes you think that his claim of "No Collusion" is no different?

If there’s one thing Trump supporters have taught us it’s that you can’t listen to what he says or writes, only to what he does.

Has Cohen been wrong about anything regarding Trump so far?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
DJRed wrote:
jmh wrote:
sphere wrote:
Quote:

NO COLUSION

You might not follow me too closely as even I bore myself at times, so I'll clue you in. Of course he's a liar and devoid of any moral character. See post 452 in this thread for additional information.

An addendum to that post would be: When we have facts that show collusion, we'll cross that bridge. Until then, relying on conjecture and whisper-down-the-lane from CNN sources is not the way I do business. I await Mueller's report. He is, after all, investigating this, right?

To bastardize a quote from "A Few Good Men": CNN and Michael Cohen? Please tell me that you have something more, Lieutenant. This President is being investigated for treason. Please tell me the prosecutor hasn't pinned his hopes to Michael Cohen's word.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So let's continue to be silly on a Friday.

Trump has over 3,000 lies (untruths, fibs, false statements, exaggerations, alternative facts, whatever makes you feel better) in his first 466 days in office.

Cohen has been Trump's loyal fixer for years. And he's a "lawyer." And his office was raided.

What is Trump's motive? Same as always, do what's in the best for Trump (and a slothfully as possible). In this case get dirt on Hillary in 2016 and save his own ass now.

What is Cohen's motive? Save his ass from a big time jail sentence.

So Cohen, a loyal fixer, has turned on his former boss, in what we can assume is hope of immunity or a reduced sentence for whatever the reason for which his office was raided. That only works if he is telling the truth and can somehow prove it. Lying only makes his problem bigger.

Who is more likely telling the truth now? And therefore, who is lying?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
An addendum to that post would be: When we have facts that show collusion, we'll cross that bridge. Until then, relying on conjecture and whisper-down-the-lane from CNN sources is not the way I do business. I await Mueller's report. He is, after all, investigating this, right?

Fair enough. I hope you support the continuation of the investigation until it ends.

Quote:
To bastardize a quote from "A Few Good Men": CNN and Michael Cohen? Please tell me that you have something more, Lieutenant. This President is being investigated for treason. Please tell me the prosecutor hasn't pinned his hopes to Michael Cohen's word.

Interesting choice of quotes. As we all know, "You're God Damn right I did!" was how that exchange ended.

I would love to have any lawyer with any measure of competence put Trump on the stand under oath for this.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
So let's continue to be silly on a Friday.

Trump has over 3,000 lies (untruths, fibs, false statements, exaggerations, alternative facts, whatever makes you feel better) in his first 466 days in office.

Cohen has been Trump's loyal fixer for years. And he's a "lawyer." And his office was raided.

What is Trump's motive? Same as always, do what's in the best for Trump (and a slothfully as possible). In this case get dirt on Hillary in 2016 and save his own ass now.

What is Cohen's motive? Save his ass from a big time jail sentence.

So Cohen, a loyal fixer, has turned on his former boss, in what we can assume is hope of immunity or a reduced sentence for whatever the reason for which his office was raided. That only works if he is telling the truth and can somehow prove it. Lying only makes his problem bigger.

If Cohen has proof, your analysis holds. If not, it's just hearsay being given by somebody being waterboarded...and we all now waterboarding will make anyone say anything just to stay out of jail...er...make the waterboarding stop.

Let's see what proof is produced or if this just ends of being Cohen's word (which would be odd given he is Captain Recorder).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:

Side-tracking, but Trump is such a sad figure. He doesn't seem to have a genuine friend in the world. Including his wife and family. All his talk about "special relationships," seems like him searching for a soul-mate. And using arena rallies as a surrogate for genuine affection. There are two classes of people - those tolerating Trump in order to do the job of governing, or those seeking an angle or position through Trump's power and popularity. I just see poor Trump fretting over Fox and CNN every morning worrying about who's after him today.

It's a big contrast to Bush and Obama who had lots of what seemed to be genuine friends.
Quote Reply
Re: More smoke [swimwithstones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 "He was elected because of his personality, not in spite of it. "

This.

The support for Trump is so baffling that it is difficult for any objective & intelligent person to wrap their heads around it. I get the "anyone but Hillary" crowd, but that alone does not explain approval ratings in the mid 40s 18 months after HRC no longer mattered.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trump is the human equivalent of a fart joke. Half of everyone finds them hilarious, the other half can't for the life of them figure out why. There is no middle ground.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are so many classes of people who support Trump that we can't dial it down to one specific type of person. I believe, however, that once you remove all the people who actually support Trump due to some sort of policy rationale (ie I will get a big tax cut. My company will be more profitable. I like his positions on the Israel, etc.), his appeal seems to be similar to that of a punk rock fan, circa 1978.

Why do you like him? He can't sing in tune. He's always drunk. He's ugly and smells bad. They break their instruments on stage, wreck the bar, and trash hotel rooms. He didn't even show up for the gig you got tickets for.

Because I like his attitude, man! Down with the establishment! The worse he is, the better!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Trump is the human equivalent of a fart joke. Half of everyone finds them hilarious, the other half can't for the life of them figure out why. There is no middle ground.

Dude, you just explained the Trump phenomenon in the most prefect way.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
"He was elected because of his personality, not in spite of it. "

This.

The support for Trump is so baffling that it is difficult for any objective & intelligent person to wrap their heads around it. I get the "anyone but Hillary" crowd, but that alone does not explain approval ratings in the mid 40s 18 months after HRC no longer mattered.

Would you consider that there could be people on this Forum who think you are a despicable person, one who is devoid of any redeeming quality, but they could still support your run training suggestions?

You = Trump

Your run training = Republican policies

People don't need to like you to get the benefit of your run training tips.

People are not supporting Trump, they are supporting his policies.

People did not vote for Trump, they voted for what he said he would do. He's doing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:

That wasn't a defense. That was, once again, pointing out that certain people are prone to making "a ha" posts thinking they've cracked the case, while they are really just overplaying their hand.

Trump lied about the affair. Trump's advisors and entire team lied about the affair. Everyone knows that. News flash: Dudes who cheat on their wives lie about it.

You do realize that the act that ended up in Clinton getting impeached was lying about his affair with Monica Lewinsky right? "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

http://time.com/...a-lewinsky-timeline/

Dec. 11: The House Judiciary committee votes to recommend impeachment. They approve two articles of impeachment pertaining to perjury — one for lying to a grand jury and another for his testimony in response to questions about his relationship with Lewinsky — and one about obstruction of justice.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next