Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 for tweets about child rape and pedophilia [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/419225-james-gunn-fired-from-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3#/slide/1

Guy was 40 when he made these tweets, so dont tell me he didnt know better.

The posts were jokes and they were several years ago. Yes, they were tasteless. Disney can do what they want, but we’re moving toward a pretty crappy world when you can get taken down for jokes you made nearly ten years ago by people who disagree with your politics and have nothing better to do than search through old deleted social media posts.

I agree. Two professional athletes got in trouble in the last six months for tweets they send out while in high school. Why is anyone sharing anything remotely personal on social media anymore?
Quote Reply
Re: James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 for tweets about child rape and pedophilia [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Hey that article has the link i referred to earlier!

The problem with this firing. Is that it gives zero impetus for anyone to ever change for the better. He apologized 6 years ago, made 2 blockbuster hits since then, and no longer makes those types of jokes. Yet hes still fired. The exact same result if he had never changed. So whats the reason for the next guy to apologize?
The only thing society loves more than an underdogs is tearing people down.

What he wrote was incredibly disgusting, but it was 10 years ago not last week. I'm not the same person i was 10 years ago and I'd hate to lose my job over something I said back then. Still, I'm blown away by what people put on social media.
Quote Reply
Re: James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 for tweets about child rape and pedophilia [Zmlick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hahahaha! good one
Quote Reply
Re: James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 for tweets about child rape and pedophilia [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
I
This seems easy to me as its only entertainment, if you want nothing to do with him, get rid of all his past contributions.

It's business more than than entertainment. Shareholder value. So sever the current relationship, maintain the valuable property.
Quote Reply
Re: James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 for tweets about child rape and pedophilia [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
slowguy wrote:
And more from Gunn’s brother about how none of this is new information, and that Gunn has openly talked about these posts in the past, and credited working on the Marvel/Disney movies as helping him find a different voice.

https://www.thewrap.com/...dians-of-the-galaxy/

The problem with this firing. Is that it gives zero impetus for anyone to ever change for the better. He apologized 6 years ago, made 2 blockbuster hits since then, and no longer makes those types of jokes. Yet hes still fired. The exact same result if he had never changed. So whats the reason for the next guy to apologize?

The other problem with this firing, is that it is by a company that released some incredibly racist and inappropriate material in the past, but has now "changed". Yes, it was longer ago, but does that really matter?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply
Re: James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 for tweets about child rape and pedophilia [skinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gunn is a silly goose who didn't realize that the mob always eventually consumes its own and that the internet is (and, by extension, tweets are) forever. What, he never learned or bothered to educate himself about the ultimate fate of Robespierre?

Case in point: the director himself jumped on Twitter recently to cheer Roseanne Barr's defenestration over her comments about Valerie Jarrett. Unfortunately for him, he had those tweets (icky at minimum, gross and disturbing to 'normal' sensibilities, at maximum) laying like skeletons in the closet that is his past.

And so the same mob in which he'd proudly stood as a member came for him, much as the mob came for the leader of France's Terror during that country's revolution. Unfair as such a thing is, it serves as an object lesson about the vagaries of mob justice, I'd say.

Personally, I condemn both episodes. Both Barr and Gunn had the right of free speech on their side and it was only speech, as unpopular as it was in both instances, that led to their downfall at the hands of a crazed mob that would dearly love to silence all 'incorrect' speech of which they disapprove. How dare they.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 for tweets about child rape and pedophilia [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I like Gunn's films he should have kept his mouth shut about Trump and politics in general
Quote Reply
Re: James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 for tweets about child rape and pedophilia [skinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skinny wrote:
veganerd wrote:
slowguy wrote:
And more from Gunn’s brother about how none of this is new information, and that Gunn has openly talked about these posts in the past, and credited working on the Marvel/Disney movies as helping him find a different voice.

https://www.thewrap.com/...dians-of-the-galaxy/

The other problem with this firing, is that it is by a company that released some incredibly racist and inappropriate material in the past, but has now "changed". Yes, it was longer ago, but does that really matter?

Good point!

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 for tweets about child rape and pedophilia [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
While I like Gunn's films he should have kept his mouth shut about Trump and politics in general

Why?

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 for tweets about child rape and pedophilia [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Runguy wrote:

Why?

Basic rule of polite society: You don't talk about politics, religion, or money. Guys like Gunn drop a big, smelly shit in public then are completely surprised to find out others think it stinks.

In this case there was instant justice. Gunn used an old tweet of Shapiro's to attack him. Not the smartest move from someone with a history of tweeting about child rape and bestiality.

Look on the bright side. Maybe he'll get back to making films like Slither instead of Disney's film making by committee.
Last edited by: Arch Stanton: Jul 23, 18 19:05
Quote Reply
Re: James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 for tweets about child rape and pedophilia [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what Arch said :)
Quote Reply
Re: James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 for tweets about child rape and pedophilia [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Runguy wrote:

Why?

Basic rule of polite society: You don't talk about politics, religion, of money. Guys like Gunn drop a big, smelly shit in public then are completely surprised to find out others think it stinks.

In this case there was instant justice. Gunn used an old tweet of Shapiro's to attack him. Not the smartest move from someone with a history of tweeting about child rape and bestiality.

Look on the bright side. Maybe he'll get back to making films like Slither instead of Disney's film making by committee.

He was a big cheerleader for the Twitter outrage mob, that's for sure. And Disney, as his employer, certainly had a right to sever its relationship with him for his tweets, just as ABC had the right to do the same thing with Roseanne Barr. The First Amendment exists particularly to prevent government from infringing on speech, with certain specific exceptions, but private individuals and employers are free to do as they'd like. It's still not what I'd do to someone under any circumstance, though, but that's just me. And I don't like it that people are losing their livelihoods simply because a few people on Twitter don't like what someone said.

At any rate, even though the roaming outrage mob took down Gunn and Barr, I think that we here in the LR are probably safe. Probably. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Runguy wrote:

Why?

Basic rule of polite society: You don't talk about politics, religion, or money. Guys like Gunn drop a big, smelly shit in public then are completely surprised to find out others think it stinks.

First, how are we supposed to have national discussion and debate about the important issues that impact a collective democratic society if we're not allowed to talk about politics, religion, or money? Why are you here in the LR? Pretty sure that, to some extent, it's so you can talk with people about politics, religion, and money.

Second, Gunn was not "completely surprised" to find out some people didn't like his tweets. He's openly talked about them in the past, and acknowledged their offensiveness and how he's grown as a person from where he was when he posted them.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Somehow I think that this conversation, both nationally and in the LR, would be going differently if the director had been, say, Clint Eastwood or Vince Vaughn.
Quote Reply
Re: James Gunn fired from Guardians of the Galaxy 3 for tweets about child rape and pedophilia [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Runguy wrote:

Why?

Basic rule of polite society: You don't talk about politics, religion, of money. Guys like Gunn drop a big, smelly shit in public then are completely surprised to find out others think it stinks.

He was a big cheerleader for the Twitter outrage mob, that's for sure. And Disney, as his employer, certainly had a right to sever its relationship with him for his tweets, just as ABC had the right to do the same thing with Roseanne Barr. The First Amendment exists particularly to prevent government from infringing on speech, with certain specific exceptions, but private individuals and employers are free to do as they'd like. It's still not what I'd do to someone under any circumstance, though, but that's just me. And I don't like it that people are losing their livelihoods simply because a few people on Twitter don't like what someone said.

At any rate, even though the roaming outrage mob took down Gunn and Barr, I think that we here in the LR are probably safe. Probably. ;-)

Honest question that I don't know the answer to, may need JSA for the legal opinion. Do they have a right to fire him for actions prior to him being hired, which they knew about prior to hiring him? Can they legally change their mind after the fact?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Runguy wrote:
Quote:

Why?

First, how are we supposed to have national discussion and debate about the important issues that impact a collective democratic society if we're not allowed to talk about politics, religion, or money? Why are you here in the LR? Pretty sure that, to some extent, it's so you can talk with people about politics, religion, and money.

Second, Gunn was not "completely surprised" to find out some people didn't like his tweets. He's openly talked about them in the past, and acknowledged their offensiveness and how he's grown as a person from where he was when he posted them.

I'm guessing he doesn't think his LR posts are big, smelly shits.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skinny wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Runguy wrote:

Why?

Honest question that I don't know the answer to, may need JSA for the legal opinion. Do they have a right to fire him for actions prior to him being hired, which they knew about prior to hiring him? Can they legally change their mind after the fact?

I don't know the basics of his employment contract with Disney, which would answer a lot of your questions, is my guess. He may have signed a personal services contract, perhaps with a "language and morals clause," or he may have signed an industry standard union-type contract (there are actors unions/guilds and I imagine the same is true for most Hollywood jobs) with some sort of broad clause covering his misstep. Or he could simply be an at will or independent contractor employee of the studio. Or a combination of the three, which is likely. He's probably not a direct employee of the studio, however. Disney may have just decided to sever its relationship with him, with neither side having any obligation to each other, and the media -- lazy as always in its reporting -- is characterizing it as a firing, which in most peoples' minds conjures up a traditionally understood employer-employee relationship.

Hollywood contracts have many clauses and such in them, and the studios can pretty much do what they'd like, I think. And they often do, if Harvey Weinstein and his ilk are any indication.

Quote Reply

Prev Next