Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo road bike s3/s5 or r3
Quote | Reply
I am a triathlete and focus mostly on flat TT efforts. Looking to get a road bike to go after some climbing segments on Strava. I live in Alabama so the climbs nothing major. I am looking at 2012-2014 s3/s5 or 2015-2016 r3. 2012 s5 with Zipp 101s around $2k. 2015 r3 everything stock $1500. I will continue to ride p5 for most of my flat/rolling TT rides. Thoughts on 2012-2014 s3/s5 and 2015-2016 r3. Also what are some reasonable wheel options.
Thanks
Brett
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo road bike s3/s5 or r3 [brett13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why spend 2k on a used bike. Get a "new" 2017 S2 for about 2400 according to the Cervelo Website and go from there. Only difference between the s2 and s3 is the Groupo. And a groupo will not be the difference on strava. $2k is a lot of dough for a used bike, I don't care what model it is. Warranties and Crash replacement is a real thing.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2016 R3 and I love it, but if I did it again I'd get an S2 or S3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want segments that aren't steep enough to be targeted by Phil Gaimon, you should go with the S-series. +1 on going for the 2 over the 3 as the frames are the same.

ETA: That other thread on the growing integration/prevalence of e-bikes is also going to make strava segments irrelevant :(

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Last edited by: hadukla: Jul 10, 18 4:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve got a 2012(?) S5 and love the bike. In Alabama I don’t see you needing a dedicated climbing bike. For the most part aero is going to matter more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Care to post an example of the segments you want to go after? Even as heavy as a P5 is it is probably going to be the fastest bike for the majority of segments that aren't super steep. That is assuming you are planning to do these efforts solo and not with a group....with a group a road bike would be a more intelligent choice.
Quote Reply