Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cell Phones
Quote | Reply
A while back someone posted that they were ditching their bike computer for their cell phone and it was pointed out that cell phones could not be used in races.

Saturday during the Escape Philly race brief a USTA official got up on stage and spent a good 5 minutes making sure everyone knew they would be disqualified if they had a cell phone on them. I assumed it was directed at the "bell and basket bunch" because she said that if you have the bento box that holds a cell phone and they see it you are disqualified - They don't have time to check if it is empty.

At swim start yesterday I was standing next to a guy that was talking to his wife on his watch. I asked if he was swimming with it and he said he was - it was water proof. I then asked it was connected to a phone and he said it had its on cell connection. So a watch that looks a like a sports watch (kind of) is really a cell phone. I'm assuming this is just as illegal as a real cell phone?

How are they going to police things like that in our sport?

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Cell Phones [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Why bother? How about we DQ people for using a phone, not for having one? Now we're DQing people for having a bento box that could possibly have a phone in it? Isn't that every bento box? What's next, no shirts with pockets? What about the bottle cage storage? To hard to differentiate between that and a bottle, I guess we better ban having bottles on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was probably the Apple Watch Series 3. They have cellular chips in them to be able to workout with carrying a phone.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cell Phones [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
How about we DQ people for ... for the rules that already exist, especially drafting?

Fixed it for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, this is really a dumb rule and an even dumber enforcement policy. I understand why someone can't talk or text on their phone while riding, but I don't understand why you can't use your phone as a GPS. It's literally no different than a Garmin head unit (except better in every way). I am too poor to waste money on a fancy Garmin or something, but I have an old smart phone (one of those $40 prepaid deals) with the IP Bike app installed so I can get all my power and HR data on the same screen as a map of my route so I don't get lost on long rides. I 3D printed a quarter-turn mount and super glued it to the back of the phone, and now I have the ultimate bike computer. There's no sim card in it, and it can't upload my data until I connect to WiFi after my ride, so why is this banned equipment but the new $1,000 Garmin Edge device that can actually send and receive messages isn't?

Powertap / Cycleops / Saris
Quote Reply
Re: Cell Phones [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
How about we DQ people for ... for the rules that already exist, especially drafting?

Fixed it for you.

Now that's just silly.
Quote Reply
Re: Cell Phones [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufordt wrote:
Quote:

Why bother? How about we DQ people for using a phone, not for having one? Now we're DQing people for having a bento box that could possibly have a phone in it? Isn't that every bento box? What's next, no shirts with pockets? What about the bottle cage storage? To hard to differentiate between that and a bottle, I guess we better ban having bottles on the bike.

The bento box the official was talking about are the ones with the big clear plastic top specially designed to allow you to see your cell phone while it is protected.

You seem to have missed my point, but maybe I wasn't clear. I didn't note the guys number, look up his name in the results, and then call him out in a public forum. In reality, I couldn't care less if an age grouper is using a cell phone, as long as it isn't dangerous. My post was to point out that we have a rule on technology that technology has managed to make unenforceable in a short period of time, and without any nefarious efforts on the users part.

I just thought it was interesting.

Quote Reply
Re: Cell Phones [Tulkas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tulkas wrote:
Yeah, this is really a dumb rule and an even dumber enforcement policy. I understand why someone can't talk or text on their phone while riding, but I don't understand why you can't use your phone as a GPS. It's literally no different than a Garmin head unit (except better in every way). I am too poor to waste money on a fancy Garmin or something, but I have an old smart phone (one of those $40 prepaid deals) with the IP Bike app installed so I can get all my power and HR data on the same screen as a map of my route so I don't get lost on long rides. I 3D printed a quarter-turn mount and super glued it to the back of the phone, and now I have the ultimate bike computer. There's no sim card in it, and it can't upload my data until I connect to WiFi after my ride, so why is this banned equipment but the new $1,000 Garmin Edge device that can actually send and receive messages isn't?

Because bureaucracy and bureaucratic toads cannot match the pace of technological change so we must endure inexplicable rules until the emperor finally understands that he is not wearing any clothes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the rules they posted for Buffalo Springs. By this note, I take it that simply having it would not be grounds for a DQ. I had my phone in my pack to drive my Wahoo RFLKT. By this latest version of the rules, I take it that that would be entirely legal. In prior years, they have stated that seeing the phone was grounds for DQ but I suppose that has changed.
Seems strange to me that they would have the prohibition of using it like a bike computer. The way I read that, having a Garmin watch on your handlebars would be banned.

Unauthorized equipment
(iii) Athletes may not use communication devices of any type, including but not limited to two-way radios, cell phones, smart watches, smart helmets (i.e., helmets enabled with Bluetooth® technology), in any distractive manner during the Race. A “distractive manner” includes but is not limited to making andreceiving phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, playing music, using social media, taking photographs, and mounting the device to a bike for purposes of using the device like a bike computer. Using a communication device in a distractive manner during the Race will result in disqualification;(iv
Quote Reply
Re: Cell Phones [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m pretty sure at IM Wales last year you were allowed a mobile phone. If you needed to use it you just had to get off the course.

It’s not something I was ever considering so I didn’t pay much attention.
Quote Reply
Re: Cell Phones [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
It was probably the Apple Watch Series 3. They have cellular chips in them to be able to workout with carrying a phone.

LG and Samsung also have watches with Cellular built in.
Quote Reply
Re: Cell Phones [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meh....Android sucks! haha

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny you mention this. I raced Philly yesterday and when I was on the second half of my first run loop I saw a guy go by on the bike, pull out his phone, and start using it. I didn't report him or anything, but I was pretty sbocked given that the head ref had been quite adamant at the pre race meeting about that exact thing.

I guess some people just don't give a shit.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im pretty sure you are allowed to have a phone. You just can not use the phone. I sure using it for a bike computer application would be fine.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Cell Phones [Once-a-miler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once-a-miler wrote:
Im pretty sure you are allowed to have a phone. You just can not use the phone. I sure using it for a bike computer application would be fine.

Unauthorized equipment
(iii) Athletes may not use communication devices of any type, including but not limited to two-way radios, cell phones, smart watches, smart helmets (i.e., helmets enabled with Bluetooth® technology), in any distractive manner during the Race. A “distractive manner” includes but is not limited to making andreceiving phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, playing music, using social media, taking photographs, and mounting the device to a bike for purposes of using the device like a bike computer. Using a communication device in a distractive manner during the Race will result in disqualification

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
Once-a-miler wrote:

Unauthorized equipment
(iii) Athletes may not use communication devices of any type, including but not limited to two-way radios, cell phones, smart watches, smart helmets (i.e., helmets enabled with Bluetooth® technology), in any distractive manner during the Race. A “distractive manner” includes but is not limited to making andreceiving phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, playing music, using social media, taking photographs, and mounting the device to a bike for purposes of using the device like a bike computer. Using a communication device in a distractive manner during the Race will result in disqualification

Its gotta be a rule that needs updating. For example.

The rule for mounting to use it as a computer is presumably to avoid a rider getting notices of calls/texts, wanting to take them, then being a hazard to other riders for not watching the road. But this seems not far from how fixated some riders get on their power meter.

On the flip side you could carry a GPS enabled smart phone in a spare bottle or in a pocket where it can never act in a distracting manner, and record your race sectors/power for posterity and infringe no rules? Right?

Is the rule there to avoid outside coaching and assistance? Or for safety reasons?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
Once-a-miler wrote:

Unauthorized equipment

noted- not that I would have a phone during the race anyway.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is one of many reasons Triathlon is going to get left in the dust, we have these rigid rules and governing bodies that solve problems that have never existed, they slap a nice $12 day single day fee for an already expensive race. I understand the safety issues of talking on your cell phone, listening to music and on the pointy end not in communication with a coach. If you're USAT you have to realize that your rules must scale from FOP to BOP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
Once-a-miler wrote:

Unauthorized equipment

IMO, if I stick my iphone in my draft box to relay live power data to friends and family, I'm not using a communication device in a "distracting manner." The phone is playing a completely passive data-relay role, similar to our timing chips, albeit it real time and not "time-stamps" throughout the course.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Obviously technology is advancing faster than the rules of the sport. The size, look and functionality between "bike computers/GPS-units" and "mobile devices/phones" have diverged and the lines are all fuzzy now.

I'm sure Sports Governing bodies and officials will look at this, sometime soon. However right now we are in a transitional time with a lot of grey area.

I had a funny conversation last weekend when I was Race Announcing at a large triathlon in Ontario with a race offcial - who was "educating" me on the nuances of some "rule". I thanked him for what he was telling me, and then I said to him, "you know that these days we (in the race & event management business) are in the experience and entertainment business". He looked at me kind of funny, like I was not sure what I was saying! But it's true - there might be 10% - 20% that are ultra serious at a running, cycling and triathlon race/event - the rest are there to be entertained for a few hours and to have a memorable experience.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Cell Phones [Traket92x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Traket92x wrote:
Here is the rules they posted for Buffalo Springs. By this note, I take it that simply having it would not be grounds for a DQ. I had my phone in my pack to drive my Wahoo RFLKT. By this latest version of the rules, I take it that that would be entirely legal. In prior years, they have stated that seeing the phone was grounds for DQ but I suppose that has changed.
Seems strange to me that they would have the prohibition of using it like a bike computer. The way I read that, having a Garmin watch on your handlebars would be banned.

Unauthorized equipment
(iii) Athletes may not use communication devices of any type, including but not limited to two-way radios, cell phones, smart watches, smart helmets (i.e., helmets enabled with Bluetooth® technology), in any distractive manner during the Race. A “distractive manner” includes but is not limited to making andreceiving phone calls, sending and receiving text messages, playing music, using social media, taking photographs, and mounting the device to a bike for purposes of using the device like a bike computer. Using a communication device in a distractive manner during the Race will result in disqualification;(iv

At Buffalo Springs on Sunday when I was headed back North on FM 3400 there was a guy headed South who was pulled over off the road and was on his phone talking to someone. I wonder if since he had stopped and pulled off the road if this would be considered a "distractive manner?"
Quote Reply
Re: Cell Phones [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
johnald wrote:
This is one of many reasons Triathlon is going to get left in the dust, we have these rigid rules and governing bodies that solve problems that have never existed, they slap a nice $12 day single day fee for an already expensive race. I understand the safety issues of talking on your cell phone, listening to music and on the pointy end not in communication with a coach. If you're USAT you have to realize that your rules must scale from FOP to BOP.

So you advocate for BOPs getting more latitude in making a race more unsafe?

I really don't care if you guys back there crash each other out while broadcasting your "experience", but what about multi-loop courses?

Can't wait for the law-suits, as non hands-free cell phone use on bicycles is in fact prohibited by the VC of my state.

Agree. Lawsuits are why USAT has that rule. Until a race director advertises that the goal of the event is to entertain participants and provide a memorable experience, I will assume that I've entered a race where the goal is to ride as fast as possible. As such, I don't want fellow participants talking on their phones, taking selfies or texting while they are cycling. If the participant pulls off the road, talk, text and shoot to your heart's content!
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jun 26, 18 6:56
Quote Reply
Re: Cell Phones [johnald] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

All true.

Historically the sport of triathlon has been about the races. I had this conversation with one of the leading Race Directors years ago that, no one swims, bikes and runs for the heck of it - they need races to go to. Thus for the longest time, it's always been about the races, and less about the experience (see my previous post on this thread) - IRONMAN, changed all that, yes it was still a "race" - you got a time and people got a place and awards were handed out, but for the vast majority of people, doing an IRONMAN, it was about the experience! Running and cycling - already understood this - heck some of the biggest, running and cycling events didn't even bother with timing and places!!

Progressive Race Directors in the sport, now know that the customer/participant experience, IS the most important thing on Race Day. Every race needs to figure out, what that experience is that they create at the micro and macro level. Here's a great example: For years, John Salt the Founder of the Multisport Canada Triathlon Series, has stood just past the finish line at EVERY ONE of their races, and shook the hand of EVERY finisher - congratulating them and thanking them! The positive impact on the participant is obvious, and John has also said, "if we have done something wrong, or their is a problem on the course, I find out about it RIGHT there".

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Cell Phones [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve,

Here's a suggestion for WTC or other innovative RDs: Official selfie zones on the bike course where participants can safely pull off the course to take photos, videos or update their status!!!! IM can brand an extendable selfie stick that fits in your bento box. ;)

I'm probably behind the times and such zones are already reality.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jun 26, 18 8:32
Quote Reply

Prev Next