Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So making fun of Michelle Obama's weight is out of bounds. Making fun of Donald Trump's weight is acceptable. Got it.
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [PrinceMax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PrinceMax wrote:
So making fun of Michelle Obama's weight is out of bounds. Making fun of Donald Trump's weight is acceptable. Got it.

When our "leader" has made it a point, on several occasions, to publicly make fun of others' weight and appearance, he makes himself more than fair game for the same treatment. IMO, anyway.

Not sure I remember Michelle Obama stooping to the same level. Maybe you could enlighten us.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PrinceMax wrote:

I don’t make fun of Dons weight. Only his bumbling idiocy.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
Why do I have a feeling the sales of that jacket have skyrocketed today?

Last year's jacket, and reportedly long sold out.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
I like Melania, she seems a more decent person than I had originally assumed. And I sympathize with her plight of being married to the Donald.

Yes, her plight; she came here to work, getting her picture taken naked, illegally on a tourist visa. Then she married the old rich con man with the connections to get here an EB-1, Einstien visa. Something reserved for highly accredited desirables. So she married the guy who rails against immigrants.

Her plight, let her stew in it.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Travis R wrote:
Why do I have a feeling the sales of that jacket have skyrocketed today?

Last year's jacket, and reportedly long sold out.
I read that. So I'm off to the local Goodwill store to grab some old jackets and then Wally World for a can of white paint.

MAGA!

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PrinceMax wrote:

He put it in bounds when he tried to have the White House physician and former candidate for the VA Secretary tell us that he weighs 199 pounds. They then came out with a number of 239 pounds, just low enough to be below the weight in which his BMI that would be considered obese.

Your inability to discern the difference between the two situations and the context of them, leads me to believe that no matter what facts are presented to you, you will remain faithful to Trump.

I still don't have people who currently support Trump figured out, but willful ignorance and flexible morality seem to be key components.

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: Jun 22, 18 9:47
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:

I still don't have people who currently support Trump figured out, but willful ignorance and flexible morality seem to be key components.

I think I found a glimpse of how he maintains his support when I visited Antelope Canyon a couple years ago. If you're unfamiliar, Antelope Canyon in AZ is a spectacular place, a slot canyon on Navajo land that you can only visit with a Navajo tour guide.

Our guide was a complete dick. Very poor interpersonal skills and totally ill-suited to the service industry. However, we went to see the canyon at peak time when the beams of sunlight penetrated through the holes in the top of the canyon. So it was crowded, and the different groups had to be kept moving along to avoid too much delay in each place.

Everyone wanted good photos of themselves and their families, and without 20 Japanese tourists in the background. Well this is where our tour guide came into his own. He barked at the Japanese tourists with the key Japanese phrases he'd learned. He used his giant frame to shoo people along and make way for us, his group. He was being a total dick to everyone, but suddenly when he was doing it to help us, we kind of liked him. Yes, he was a dick, but he was our dick!

This is the world of a Trumpian.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a thoughtful take on this whole story.

Quote:

In the middle of the 20th century, assessing the rise of the television on the workings of the American mind, the historian Daniel Boorstin diagnosed a new phenomenon: the “pseudo-event.” According to Boorstin, the happening that is better known, today, as the media event is something that exists only to serve as fodder for an omnivoracious information system: things like the photo op, and also the press release, and also the general tendency to assume that life itself can be steadily shaped into commercially familiar forms. Boorstin was writing in 1962, during the time in the United States in which world war was giving way to cold war and in which people everywhere were correctly concerned about the ways information could be manipulated to sway public opinion; the events Boorstin was naming, however, suggested another kind of danger. To give oneself over to the image-first logic of the media, he feared, was to cede some of the complex truth of the world to a glib, and commercialized, fantasy. While “propaganda oversimplifies experience,” Boorstin argued, “pseudo-events overcomplicate it.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/...dingers-coat/563474/

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And it's only going to get worse. Crazy to think you can now easily create your own fake video with an app...

http://www.businessinsider.com/...eos-deepfakes-2018-4

Next we'll have to worry about Russian bots creating fake news to try to influence our elections...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flexible morality? Look at threads involving Chris Christie. I don't recall him mocking someone's appearance yet that didn't stop many people here from ridiculing him over his weight. In fact some of the same people who were outraged about the Michele Obama joke have made fun of Christie's appearance.
I don't know if it's because she's a black female that she's off limits or if it that she's on the left, but there certainly seems to be a double standard in play.
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
jmh wrote:

I think I found a glimpse of how he maintains his support when I visited Antelope Canyon a couple years ago. If you're unfamiliar, Antelope Canyon in AZ is a spectacular place, a slot canyon on Navajo land that you can only visit with a Navajo tour guide.

Our guide was a complete dick. Very poor interpersonal skills and totally ill-suited to the service industry. However, we went to see the canyon at peak time when the beams of sunlight penetrated through the holes in the top of the canyon. So it was crowded, and the different groups had to be kept moving along to avoid too much delay in each place.

Everyone wanted good photos of themselves and their families, and without 20 Japanese tourists in the background. Well this is where our tour guide came into his own. He barked at the Japanese tourists with the key Japanese phrases he'd learned. He used his giant frame to shoo people along and make way for us, his group. He was being a total dick to everyone, but suddenly when he was doing it to help us, we kind of liked him. Yes, he was a dick, but he was our dick!

Nice story- Antelope Canyon is definitely a cool place, and I recall guides like the one you mentioned when I was there a few years ago. But I don't think it is completely accurate in the description of the relationship Trump's supporters have with him.

There is an element of he's our "dick" - especially with his views of immigrants and brown people- but what many of them fail to see is that he will hurt many of his supporters in the long term with his shortsighted policies. That's the part I don't get and where it differs from your story.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
jmh wrote:

I love this analogy. Then you find out he is bonused by how many trips he can run in a day- so you all had your time cut way short and he made bank off it and you still loved your 5 minutes when a year ago you would have gotten 20! You are happy, the Japanese group is happy because they didn’t have the ahole guide - and everyone has a story to tell. Win win! Was anyone even present in the moment at the monument and who cares when you have photos to show that box was ticked and you both think you had a better experience than the other- so you were the winners! Yes, I’m sick of so much winning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Point out the Chris Christie threads.

The fact is Michelle Obama has carried herself with decorum and has been completely above board. She hasn't resorted to lowball name calling, has advocated for the needy, tried to make improvements, never created any controversy. DJT has been the opposite in all of those ways. Some of Christie's actions as governor were also pretty pathetic. Going after his weight is probably unacceptable, but point out the threads and the context.

PrinceMax wrote:
Flexible morality? Look at threads involving Chris Christie. I don't recall him mocking someone's appearance yet that didn't stop many people here from ridiculing him over his weight. In fact some of the same people who were outraged about the Michele Obama joke have made fun of Christie's appearance.
I don't know if it's because she's a black female that she's off limits or if it that she's on the left, but there certainly seems to be a double standard in play.
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For example - "Why do politicians lie about this stuff? Warning graphic content". I'll save you time. The graphic content warning is about a photo of the Christie on a beach. There's plenty of other nasty stuff said about his weight in other threads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PrinceMax wrote:
For example - "Why do politicians lie about this stuff? Warning graphic content". I'll save you time. The graphic content warning is about a photo of the Christie on a beach. There's plenty of other nasty stuff said about his weight in other threads.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried to look for that thread, but cannot find it. I think I recall it, though. Was that from the time Christie had the beach closed to public use due to a storm but then took it over and used it for a private outing with his family? I agree that name calling isn't necessary in that situation to call out his selfishly despicable behavior and abuse of public resources to do that and the name calling is destructive. I won't validate the name calling, but the difference here is that it's at least contextualized to Christie's poor behavior, whereas the criticisms of Michelle Obama cannot be. In addition, Christie chose to run for office and open himself up as a public figure in that way, whereas Michelle was along for the ride. The criticisms I've seen of the Obama girls are especially despicable.

PrinceMax wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Call it moral authority, or whatever, but it's what empowers them to tackle the projects that they work on while in the White House.

The words "moral authority" and the current Whitehouse should never be used in the same sentence.

Yeah, I know, I struggled with that term but those two words were the best I had to convey the concept. So, I went ahead and assumed people would understand that I mean, particularly as it pertains to an office, even if a relatively informal one such as the First Lady's.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we're making this too complicated.

In our society it's generally OK to joke about a man's weight. John Daly. Charles Barkley. Taft. Christie.

It's generally not OK to joke about a woman's weight. Barr. Oprah.

Fat men in business and government are just considered kind of masculine and strong.

Fat women are considered disgusting.

If you're in search for logical consistency in it, that's a whole other thread.

True in our personal lives, generally. Guys joke with each other about being fat. You *never* joke with a woman about being fat unless you really, really know what you're doing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Tried to look for that thread, but cannot find it. I think I recall it, though. Was that from the time Christie had the beach closed to public use due to a storm but then took it over and used it for a private outing with his family? I agree that name calling isn't necessary in that situation to call out his selfishly despicable behavior and abuse of public resources to do that and the name calling is destructive. I won't validate the name calling, but the difference here is that it's at least contextualized to Christie's poor behavior, whereas the criticisms of Michelle Obama cannot be. In addition, Christie chose to run for office and open himself up as a public figure in that way, whereas Michelle was along for the ride. The criticisms I've seen of the Obama girls are especially despicable.

PrinceMax wrote:

That was my thread: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ng=christie#p6354021

Christie was/is a despicable human being, especially in his treatment, attitude, and statements towards others (his own damned constituents!). He deserves whatever dung is tossed his way. If his weight were the only thing for which he received criticism, that would be wrong. Just like criticizing Michelle Obama for her appearance is wrong.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
I think we're making this too complicated.

In our society it's generally OK to joke about a man's weight. John Daly. Charles Barkley. Taft. Christie.

It's generally not OK to joke about a woman's weight. Barr. Oprah.

Fat men in business and government are just considered kind of masculine and strong.

Fat women are considered disgusting.

If you're in search for logical consistency in it, that's a whole other thread.

True in our personal lives, generally. Guys joke with each other about being fat. You *never* joke with a woman about being fat unless you really, really know what you're doing.

Well there is also the part about the politician being fair game for pretty much everything, the families not.
Trump and Christie being fat, they are going to get it. Whereas Michelle and Melania shouldn't be subject to pot shots.

You can only pick on the families for the parts of them that they have inserted into the debate. If Michelle Obama advocates eating better and is on camera eating cheese fries, have at it. If Melania wears that jacket during an official trip, have at it. Baron didn't do anything to bring this on to himself other than choosing his parents. Calling Obama Moochelle is always the sign of a 7 year old asshole.

Attacking Melania on having an accent is being an asshole. Pointing out that Trump is against immigration but has an immigrant wife that quite possibly worked without authorization is not.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [Jim @ LOTO, MO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim @ LOTO, MO wrote:
If Moochelle had worn the jacket (assuming one could be found in her size), she'd be on the cover of Vogue wearing it.

How is this guy still here and Duffy not?
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Jim @ LOTO, MO wrote:
If Moochelle had worn the jacket (assuming one could be found in her size), she'd be on the cover of Vogue wearing it.

He's trolling. Everyone knows he's trolling so just ignore him and let's talks about Aaron Rodgers instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
Jim @ LOTO, MO wrote:

He's trolling. Everyone knows he's trolling so just ignore him and let's talks about Aaron Rodgers instead.

Indeed. Stating in your sig line that you will only ever contribute one post per thread is the definition of a troll. No-one would miss him for that reason alone.
Quote Reply
Re: Yikes. When fashion can really make a statement [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
You're going after Taft now? You sick SOB. We're surely in a race to the bottom now.
Quote Reply

Prev Next